Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

Finally getting out to the course this coming Saturday and Sunday with the Max LS, but I did get to tee it up on a grass range tonight. Based on what I saw on the range, I think I will play one round with the Tensai Orange and one round with the MMT to see if one is more consistent than the other, but both feel really good for my swing. Was seeing some nice carries and good flights even into a breeze out there tonight, so the fittings I went through seem pretty decent. With the weight in the draw position, I really think I can aim down the right side and not lose a ball right...man would I love to take that out to the course.

I am destroying the Epic Speed. I really didnt expect to like it more than the Mavrik, but it replaced the Mavrik after one round. Using the Ventus Black 6x and hitting some bombs. Might have hit my farthest drive I've recorded on gps at 324. Just unreal. Such a great club for miss hits too, the yardages on mishits have me shaking my head. The look at address and sound are spot on. Well done Callaway.

Reading all these positive reviews is killing me. Still waiting for Callaway to send me the shipping notification for my Max ls

Is the Epic Speed significantly better than the Epic Flash? I am hitting my Epic Flash down the middle with decent distance. Not sure if it would be an upgrade or not.

Is the Epic Speed significantly better than the Epic Flash? I am hitting my Epic Flash down the middle with decent distance. Not sure if it would be an upgrade or not.
If only there was a way for you to really find out about this for yourself, Scott. 😜
All jokes aside, if you’re already hitting yours well, there probably is not going to be a massive difference unless you stumble onto a better shaft during testing. No harm in trying them to find out, right?

Last edited:

I don't know the answer, but I'll going to add to the question I guess.
I played Flash for most of last year, really didn't care for the sound but could get over it. It spins a bit too much for my liking. So I'm drawn a bit to the Speed because I feel like the shaping is better to my eye, and hopefully, the spin would drop a bit. I'm worried about going Max LS because I feel like it might not be the best option for my SS

If only there was a way for you to really find out about this for yourself, Scott. 😜
All jokes aside, if you’re already hitting yours well, there probably is not going to be a massive difference unless you stumble onto a better shaft during testing. No harm in trying them to find out, right?
A demo day would be great. Not sure if my club would have one as they are predominantly a Titleist pro shop.

I don't know the answer, but I'll going to add to the question I guess.
I played Flash for most of last year, really didn't care for the sound but could get over it. It spins a bit too much for my liking. So I'm drawn a bit to the Speed because I feel like the shaping is better to my eye, and hopefully, the spin would drop a bit. I'm worried about going Max LS because I feel like it might not be the best option for my SS

All of the Epic heads are very good. You do need to demo them, though. To me, the Speed seems to be a bit more demanding than the others, relatively speaking. The Max LS led to some left/right dispersion that I wasn't pleased with, probably due to the lower spin. The Max is right in my wheelhouse, and I love the forgiveness.

I had some credit with Callaway, and debated a Max LS, or a Speed, but I went with a 10.5* Max to go along with my 9* Max. This also allowed me to pick up an MMT 60 stiff shaft.

Me likey the MMT 60 very much. Stiff seems to be a softer stiff, which is good for me. I don't think it just a new shaft honeymoon, but it was working great in a quick 9 holes this morning. I think it instantly goes into my gamer, and I was switching off between the 10.5* -1 at 9.5*, and the 9* at S or +1. Distance was actually best with the 9* at standard loft, as spin was likely down a bit, and launch was right in the window I want it at. So, 9* Max stays in the bag, with the MMT 60 stiff for the time being.

I would say on center strikes you wouldn't notice a huge difference. I think the biggest thing with the new drivers are the forgiveness and distance on off center hits. I would upgrade for sound alone, but that's all personal preference.

You might see some benefit where others wouldn't, and vice versa. Flash was good. It was loud though. Lol And looked different than the Speed. Those would be the 2 big things. Speed looks and sounds smaller. Evolution of AI face and shape benefits and all that would depend what you're putting into it.

Edit: pretty much what the last few people said. :LOL:

I played Mavrik SZ last year and the Epic Speed had much better forgiveness IMO. Haven't had enough rounds yet to determine if there has been any distance gains. I am suspecting I have gained a little bit, but will be able to tell better when I can get a round on my regular course I play.

I played Mavrik SZ last year and the Epic Speed had much better forgiveness IMO. Haven't had enough rounds yet to determine if there has been any distance gains. I am suspecting I have gained a little bit, but will be able to tell better when I can get a round on my regular course I play.
One of my home courses has fairway bunkers in the middle of the fairway in perfect landing distance for me. I used to aim at them and reliably go left. With the Epic Flash, if I aim at them I'm going in them. Need to change my aim. Those fairway bunkers have a high enough lip that often there is no shot at getting on the green.

One of my home courses has fairway bunkers in the middle of the fairway in perfect landing distance for me. I used to aim at them and reliably go left. With the Epic Flash, if I aim at them I'm going in them. Need to change my aim. Those fairway bunkers have a high enough lip that often there is no shot at getting on the green.
Possible with the Epic Speed you could aim at them and fly over them. :golf2:

I would say on center strikes you wouldn't notice a huge difference. I think the biggest thing with the new drivers are the forgiveness and distance on off center hits
This, this and more this. Off center strikes with the Speed are worlds better than any previous driver I’ve used. It’s kept me in play and out of trouble more times than I can count and I’ve only played eight times outside this so far

My irons are arriving today. Still have some shaft work to do, but I'll getting out with these in the bag soon! LS Driver is going to be fun this season and these fairways still need to be put through the paces.

A demo day would be great. Not sure if my club would have one as they are predominantly a Titleist pro shop.
Don’t you have a retail store like Golf galaxy or the PGASS nearby? You won’t be able to hit outdoors, but you should get some pretty good shaft selections and numbers from their simulators...

Don’t you have a retail store like Golf galaxy or the PGASS nearby? You won’t be able to hit outdoors, but you should get some pretty good shaft selections and numbers from their simulators...
Yes, I have a PGATour Superstore not too far away. May need to venture over there.

This, this and more this. Off center strikes with the Speed are worlds better than any previous driver I’ve used. It’s kept me in play and out of trouble more times than I can count and I’ve only played eight times outside this so far
I guess that depends on the driver you came from?
Im going with the Epic Max to replace a g400 Max. The Ping club is off the charts forgiveness wise, so I doubt I’ll be seeing significant help on off center hits. The 400 Max is point and shoot.
So far the benefits of the Epic Max are better sound, a different look (after 3- 4 years of matte, I’m enjoying the gloss finish), but most importantly the distance gain I’ve gotten from the lighter Cypher shaft. To be honest, if I’d have kept the one with Hazardous smoke iM-10 in it, I’d probably have traded in or sold the Epic Max.
For me, the shaft was the game changer.

Im going with the Epic Max to replace a g400 Max. The Ping club is off the charts forgiveness wise, so I doubt I’ll be seeing significant help on off center hits. The 400 Max is point and shoot.
So far the benefits of the Epic Max are better sound, a different look (after 3- 4 years of matte, I’m enjoying the gloss finish), but most importantly the distance gain I’ve gotten from the lighter Cypher shaft. To be honest, if I’d have kept the one with Hazardous smoke iM-10 in it, I’d probably have traded in or sold the Epic Max.
In the past two season I’ve had the Cobra F9, Epic Flash and SIM. Not saying shaft isn’t helping you but I’m talking specifically about my strike. I’ve had more toe shots the past few weeks than I’d care to admit and the flight of the ball is never too far off the path I’d expect with a centered strike. I’m of course losing distance but the fact that I’m staying in play on some of these, I’m going to sing the praises of the forgiveness for anyone who will listen. Are there more forgiving drivers? Probably. But from what I’ve used recently, it’s worlds better, and that’s worth talking about

Yes, I have a PGATour Superstore not too far away. May need to venture over there.
I think you’ll learn a lot more from hitting it there than from random people on the internet who probably swing nothing like you do.
These types of threads are helpful for learning things like the differences between the 3 versions, but in the end, all we’re doing here is either telling each other how happy or unhappy we are with a new club.
you can read everything, and still will have no idea what does and doesn’t translate to you and your swing until you’ve tried it yourself.
BTW Come back in 6 months and we’ll be doing the same thing with the newest driver that’s out. 🤪

In the past two season I’ve had the Cobra F9, Epic Flash and SIM. Not saying shaft isn’t helping you but I’m talking specifically about my strike. I’ve had more toe shots the past few weeks than I’d care to admit and the flight of the ball is never too far off the path I’d expect with a centered strike. I’m of course losing distance but the fact that I’m staying in play on some of these, I’m going to sing the praises of the forgiveness for anyone who will listen. Are there more forgiving drivers? Probably. But from what I’ve used recently, it’s worlds better, and that’s worth talking about
Yeah, I read what you said, and I’m happy you’re getting that relief/forgiveness over your other drivers.
My point was I’m coming from a really forgiving driver anyway, so I’m not going to see the same things you are forgiveness wise.
For me, the main benefit came from the distance the shaft gave me.
At the end of the day, we have different reasons why, but we are two happy customers.

Last edited:
Used my Epic Max LS for the first time on a course. The ball flight was rather straight, but I was a bit directionally challenged. Just gotta dial it in. I will say distance was good, and it sounds great.

i had the g400 max, and some data to support distances. that driver was LONG for me. i'm not sure i'm ready to say epic max is any longer than 400 max, but i do like the looks and feel much more.

i had the g400 max, and some data to support distances. that driver was LONG for me. i'm not sure i'm ready to say epic max is any longer than 400 max, but i do like the looks and feel much more.
Hard to argue with this.... the G400 Max has been my all time favorite driver.
I needed a new driver to complete a second bag I want to keep up on Long Island, that’s why I bought another one this year
The Epic Max is good so far, but that Ping has gotten me through a lot of tough matches, and paid for itself many times over.. I’m 100% comfortable hitting it under pressure. It’s very hard to find a club like that, and even harder to replace it.

I am very close to buying a 9* Max LS with ventus black 7X. Ventus black is the shizzle shaft for me. Feel for days but still somehow always stable. Max LS is low-ish spin and has loads of forgiveness. Toe side misses give a clanky sound but the ball just goes and goes. When I hit one of those, my jaw almost hits the floor as I watch the ball. The feel and the result are a huge mismatch, and I am good with that. ;) The head/shaft combo is fun. I feel like I can swing out of my shoes with impunity (my biggest misses are stupidly playable) or back off and not lose anything.

g425 lst is still on my radar -- mostly for a touch lower spin -- and I will spend time with the Titleist rep tomorrow hitting the tsi3. But it will take a monumental combo to beat the Max LS with the ventus black.

Back