Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

My brother! Welcome to the LS team! :D I had the same feel. Speed was 5-7 yards longer on average, but the control I got from the Max LS was to good to give up.
The Speed isn’t even longer for me. It’s more fun to hit, but just marginally and everything about the Max LS is better for my game, so it’s a no brainer.

I couldn’t help it. I had to tease. 😂

The Max LS is so much better for my swing, it is not even close, and, honestly, that surprises me. The ball flight is much flatter. It obviously is spinning less, yet it just wants to go straight. It is better for my swing in every way than the Speed. No, it doesn’t look quite as good behind the ball and doesn’t feel as satisfying, but it feels fine and it is about 10 yards longer with much better dispersion.

In some ways, I feel like Callaway carried over part of the magic of the B21 and put it in the Max LS. They both are low spin and forgiving. The main difference is that the Max LS launches lower and lacks any draw bias.

The Speed isn’t even longer for me. It’s more fun to hit, but just marginally and everything about the Max LS is better for my game, so it’s a no brainer.

So is the LS going to go in the bag? Weren't you dabbling with a Radspeed too?

So is the LS going to go in the bag? Weren't you dabbling with a Radspeed too?
I have two bags that I am going to play this year. One is primarily Cobra equipment and will be based on the RadSpeed woods and Tour MIMs. The other bag is all Callaway. I thought that I had decided to go with the Cobra bag as my A bag, but now I am waffling. I am a mess. I’ll admit it, LOL. The LS is definitely the driver for the Callaway bag.

Please don’t tell anybody that I also have a TSi3 hiding in my garage that is also an incredible driver. So many drivers, so little time...

No I just hit the Speed. I had simulator time and was doing some other stuff not just hitting drivers.
Well I told you to try the LS! NOT THE SPEED!! :LOL:

I have two bags that I am going to play this year. One is primarily Cobra equipment and will be based on the RadSpeed woods and Tour MIMs. The other bag is all Callaway. I thought that I had decided to go with the Cobra bag as my A bag, but now I am waffling. I am a mess. I’ll admit it, LOL. The LS is definitely the driver for the Callaway bag.

Please don’t tell anybody that I also have a TSi3 hiding in my garage that is also an incredible driver. So many drivers, so little time...

I like it. The fact is most of the OEM's are making awesome equipment right now. Just about finding what fits you best and you enjoy playing the most.

I had moved the loft of my Epic Max LS to standard for Tuesday's round at league. My first drive was absolutely beautiful, but the rest of my drives were hooking pretty bad. Considering it was cold and windy (we woke up to a few inches of snow on Wednesday), I'll chalk it up largely to just being cold, stiff, and miserable, so my swing just had no real consistency. The wind itself had the potential of causing a 2 or more club difference than usual. Hopefully, next Tuesday will provide better weather.

Anyone that did the Callaway 50% trade in bonus. On their rate card if the club you are trading in says $150 does that include the bonus or would the trade be worth $225?

My brother! Welcome to the LS team! :D I had the same feel. Speed was 5-7 yards longer on average, but the control I got from the Max LS was to good to give up.
I think what is interesting is you guys are all low handicaps and obviously consistent solid ball strikers and even you are finding a level of forgiveness in this driver as compared to other drivers all which are excellent drivers with the latest technology.. My assumption is its much harder to design a club that not only provides a higher level of forgiveness for mid and high handicap players but to design one that even low handicaps or plus players can feel and see the difference. I think that demonstrates what I have said as someone with a 14 handicap although but for inconsistency ( particularly off the tee ) it should be lower this driver is forgiving and just performs.. Early into the season I have already seen the benefits in this club for me not only in lowering spin which I needed but the dispersion on my less than ideal strikes and the distance has been very good. And for me as @JDax said my miss particularly when I went after it ( which I like to do) was left which at my club on a number of holes if not out or close to OB put you in a bad spot with no shot at the green and this club at least so far has eliminated that. Between this driver, the Apex 21's and the Mavrik Max 3 and 5 woods I have total confidence in all my clubs and expect to get my handicap down and start scoring like I believe I should be. Anxious for good weather to get here.

Speed

In the Sweet Spot

And the Speed Slot

Felt so good I wanted a cigarette..

I think what is interesting is you guys are all low handicaps and obviously consistent solid ball strikers and even you are finding a level of forgiveness in this driver as compared to other drivers all which are excellent drivers with the latest technology.. My assumption is its much harder to design a club that not only provides a higher level of forgiveness for mid and high handicap players but to design one that even low handicaps or plus players can feel and see the difference. I think that demonstrates what I have said as someone with a 14 handicap although but for inconsistency ( particularly off the tee ) it should be lower this driver is forgiving and just performs.. Early into the season I have already seen the benefits in this club for me not only in lowering spin which I needed but the dispersion on my less than ideal strikes and the distance has been very good. And for me as @JDax said my miss particularly when I went after it ( which I like to do) was left which at my club on a number of holes if not out or close to OB put you in a bad spot with no shot at the green and this club at least so far has eliminated that. Between this driver, the Apex 21's and the Mavrik Max 3 and 5 woods I have total confidence in all my clubs and expect to get my handicap down and start scoring like I believe I should be. Anxious for good weather to get here.
The problem that I usually have with the more forgiving profiles is that they also spin significantly more and I am not long enough to want to give up that 10 yards difference. Last fall, I was playing the B21 and it kept the spin down for me. It is a very unique driver. Truth be told, I could probably still play it and score as well, but, I have an addiction to golf equipment. A driver that both controls the spin and offers some forgiveness is precisely what I need. The Max LS does precisely that for me. The Titleist TSi3 also does both for me. The next time I am playing a casual round, I would love to have both in the bag to compare. I think that the Cobra RadSpeed is a tad longer when buttoned, but I don’t believe that my dispersion with it is quite what I was seeing this morning with the Max LS.

Last edited:
I don’t even know you.

I see a landing strip and it just brings something out of me. :p

I hit one 280something right into a tree, if that helps.

I see a landing strip and it just brings something out of me. :p

I hit one 280something right into a tree, if that helps.
Don’t tell me. You birdied the hole.

Don’t tell me. You birdied the hole.
Ironically, it was hole #1 (which is my friend), and a par 5, and yet I did not. I proceeded to pull a 7i, chip to .. 10' (?) , and miss. If I hadn't still been enjoying my imaginary post *** cigarette it really would have bothered me. :LOL:

Still loving the Epic Max driver.
But man this Speed 4w is something else. I had 247 in after my drive on a par 5. Pin high just off the green. And it was just an easy swing. I don’t understand the magic, but I love it.

Imagine my horror when I saw my baby flying 175 yards down the 9th hole 😳

1619186087611.jpeg
1619186232878.jpeg

Not a Callaway built shaft. So nothing they did. Looks like the epoxy came completely free from the adapter. The inside of it is as clean as a whistle.

Bringing it in locally to be reglued. The head landed softly and amazingly is completely unaffected. So, no harm no foul. Was a strange sound at impact. The ball still got out there a long ways. Just had a weird fade flight to it. Was still able to par the hole.

Up until the 9th hole I was driving the ball really well with the Epic Speed TD. The feel is superb. Love how muted it is. The MMT I had been using is nice. But, the Ventus is like another gear with this. Feels even more solid at impact and I am launching it in a better more consistent window.

View attachment 9004791
View attachment 9004792

Not a Callaway built shaft. So nothing they did. Looks like the epoxy came completely free from the adapter. The inside of it is as clean as a whistle.

Bringing it in locally to be reglued. The head landed softly and amazingly is completely unaffected. So, no harm no foul. Was a strange sound at impact. The ball still got out there a long ways. Just had a weird fade flight to it. Was still able to par the hole.

Did you stop breathing!!???

Nice little flex at the end there ;)

Did you stop breathing!!???

Nice little flex at the end there ;)
There was a lot going on in my mind. First, the weird noise and feel at impact, I thought the shaft snapped. Looked at it quickly and saw that it didn't. Watching the head fly as far as it did and the ball still going out there a good ways. It was going dead straight so I was able to focus on the ball since there was nothing I could change about it at that point.

Just pointing out that even while it's taking it's last potential breath and crumbling apart it can still manage to produce good results haha.

View attachment 9004791
View attachment 9004792

I'm glad that beauty is okay, but I honestly want this to happen to me once. Just so I get how often it seems to actually happen makes sense to me. I just don't understand how so many people have epoxy fairies on heads/adapters. It's not THAT complicated.

View attachment 9004791
View attachment 9004792

Not that mine would have went that far, but I would have been scared to pick that head up. Glad it had no damage.

I'm glad that beauty is okay, but I honestly want this to happen to me once. Just so I get how often it seems to actually happen makes sense to me. I just don't understand how so many people have epoxy fairies on heads/adapters. It's not THAT complicated.
It's glue. It should be pretty simple. I don't build but I imagine it is likely an issue with the mixture? There is not one spec of epoxy left in the adapter. If it would have went 30 yards left of where it did, I would have been getting my scuba gear to retrieve it haha.

Back