Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

It seems like every single time I fall in love with my driver Callaway has to catch my eye for new and shiny......

These new models look great, and it seems like some of these new models are focusing on a combination of lower spin without sacrificing forgiveness, and I find that really intriguing. These new models are making me even more excited about my fitting next month.

It seems like every single time I fall in love with my driver Callaway has to catch my eye for new and shiny......
That's their plan. Think of it as a 2 year Lease on a Driver. Lease it for 2 years, trade it in with a current customer bonus on a new one.

That's their plan. Think of it as a 2 year Lease on a Driver. Lease it for 2 years, trade it in with a current customer bonus on a new one.
It's true. It's going to be hard to move on from this one though..... Always chasing better...... And if I'm being honest, I don't hate their plan :)

Seems like you definitely need to try out all 3 this time around before buying.

Seems like you definitely need to try out all 3 this time around before buying.
Um. yeah. The two Flash experiment was dummbbbbb. BUT, when I settled on the reg flash, I had the best driving seasons of my life.

Is that really a punishment?

Not for me, as long as it is a quality product!!

I have always jumped on the new Cally releases and ended up buying the later ones because I am insane.

The wife is nervous, I am sitting here all bandaged up and looking at all this stuff, she knows I have some serious issues with new releases...buyingfoo is strong with the APEX pro Combo irons and one of these Drivers. I am perfectly happy with the PXG clubs, but seeing more yards (if they are there) is always dangerous.

they really know how to take advantage of us golfers with fomo
Bahahaha yup. But they also make it so easy with the trade in trade up. I’m totally going to put together a collection of basement dwellers to reduce $$$. I’m really interested to try this one out against the Flash. They keep getting faster and I keep buying

Is ordering all of them and then testing a bad idea? . I'm in the market for woods this year and man these look great. I did love the epic flash so very interested to get some numbers with these.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

i need to schedule a fitting :love:

These drivers are looking fantastic and all the tech from Callaway no doubt they will perform great.

i’m VERY interested to watch the thp staffers test this in the thp showcase. some earlier reviews make it look like these are not low spin at all, but still getting plenty of distance. i know that’s part of the story in the article, just really cool to see something high 2k and still plenty long.

hello epic max ls. i would like to get to know you better.

i’m VERY interested to watch the thp staffers test this in the thp showcase. some earlier reviews make it look like these are not low spin at all, but still getting plenty of distance. i know that’s part of the story in the article, just really cool to see something high 2k and still plenty long.

I think the Speed and Max are going to really surprise people distance wise

I think the Speed and Max are going to really surprise people distance wise

So far all the reviews I've seen, they all praise the consistency and distance of each of the line. That includes the spin across the face. AI designed face at work!

Yes, I'd say the Epix Max LS is the most intriguing for me. That's not to say I'm not open to whatever ultimately works best for me.

Leaning towards the speed head shape wise but would like to see both the max ls and speed side by side in hand. Of course test both, going to be a tough choices with all the great heads released this year and have a feeling a couple more that we haven’t seen anything on other than some pictures will also be really good this year. Going to be a fun spring testing everything

So.. What makes a guy go outside when it's 47 degrees and raining? A call from the local driving range owner that the demo Callaway Epic Speed drivers and Apex iron demos had arrived. My workday had just ended and my wife looked at me like I was crazy and gave me the okay. I tested both the Epic Speed and the Epic Speed Max drivers. (I need more spin with my driver so low spin drivers don't work for me.) They didn't have their full selection of shafts so I hit both heads using the MMT 60 stiff shaft.
20210115_170742.jpg
First I tried the the Epic Speed head in 10.5 degrees. First I will talk about sound which is very user specific. I really like the sound of the Cobra F9 driver and the Mavrik was louder than I preferred and the Mavrik max was way too loud. So I didn't know what to expect. The sound off the epic speed driver is a soft muted crunch when you find the center. On shots that are higher or away from the center it was slightly louder but a good sounding crack. It is exactly how I prefer a driver to sound. It took me a few swings to get the timing of the shaft but I felt like I could put it in play immediately. I could move the ball either direction and it did not seem overly draw or fade biased. For a cold rainy night I was still not seeing a drop off in distance.. It wanted to fly.
20210115_170716.jpg20210115_170750.jpg
Next up I tried the 10.5 max with the same shaft and the weight slid as far up towards the toe as possible in the track. This was a hook monster for me. It wanted to go left, but that is my miss and I struggle with the larger "max moi" heads. (this could all be my technique). If I held my hands off I could hit a baby fade but it sacrificed a bunch of distance. I did time up one shot with this which was an absolute bullet that was dead straight and long. I could not replicate it though. The sound of this one is a much louder crack and those who like a louder sound will like this one. Me, it's the opposite of what I prefer. The standard in 10.5 seems like the right fit for me.

I cannot wait to hear them. Cannot wait.

I really don't have anything constructive to add unfortunately, except to say great job on the write up.

Looking forward to hopefully trying these out eventually, hopefully they will replace my trusty XR16 in the bag!

I really don't have anything constructive to add unfortunately, except to say great job on the write up.

Looking forward to hopefully trying these out eventually, hopefully they will replace my trusty XR16 in the bag!
Appreciate you checking it out, Brad!

Does the shallower of the two fairway models remind anyone else of the Orlimar Trimetal?

Is the talk of the new leading edge on both fairway models, or does the shallowness of the Max mean it’s not necessary there?

Does the shallower of the two fairway models remind anyone else of the Orlimar Trimetal?

Is the talk of the new leading edge on both fairway models, or does the shallowness of the Max mean it’s not necessary there?
To my knowledge it’s been reworked on both models.

Back