Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

I'm behind, and will have to catch up on these threads when the wife heads to bed, but I wanted to mention if it hadn't been that the fixed weights are swappable with Mav, EF, and GBB Epic. We were trying some different configurations early this morning and the old GBB Epic ones with the black ring are basically the same if you still have some kicking around and want to tinker but keep the look.

@Jman, I’m a little confused about who the Epic Speed is aimed at? Slower swing speed golfers?

Nope, the majority of golfers.
I would agree with this after hitting them tonight. If you need maximum forgiveness / help with a right miss (slice) then the max could be for you. The standard Epic Speed is good all around and will fit a lot of golfers.

Last edited:
Little head to head tonight. There are some thing I like and dislike about both.

I love the shape of the sim2. The callaway is a bit stretched front to back for my taste. The standard speed I think has a better shape from the top.

the LS has amazing feel and an amazing flight.

both were equal on ball speed. I think the SIM2 oddly launches higher.

The color of the callaway is awesome to look at and I love that they got rid of the crown line of the epic flash.

53F8F684-596B-474F-B20A-7E5AB57A3C36.jpeg
68E00B25-13E5-4C2D-9625-F7373FE7027D.jpegt

Little head to head tonight. There are some thing I like and dislike about both.

I love the shape of the sim2. The callaway is a bit stretched front to back for my taste. The standard speed I think has a better shape from the top.

The color of the callaway is awesome to look at and I love that they got rid of the crown line of the epic flash.

View attachment 8988572
View attachment 8988573t
Kinda jealous, how did the sound and spin compare between them?

Kinda jealous, how did the sound and spin compare between them?

they sole reason good but the callaway was for me the winner. At least it in stock set ups.

View attachment 8988572
View attachment 8988573t
As an aside - good Lord, I didn't think they could make the SIM any uglier than the original, but it looks like TaylorMade just said "hold my beer!" :ROFLMAO:

As an aside - good Lord, I didn't think they could make the SIM any uglier than the original, but it looks like TaylorMade just said "hold my beer!" :ROFLMAO:

I actually think it looks really good. But I can understand people not liking it.

Had a distance fitting yesterday with Callaway and fitter recommended the Max LS would be best fit, just a little extra forgiveness that can’t hurt.

Now to decide on shaft, sort of a toss up between the MMT (stiff) or I spend a few extra bucks and go Ventus Blue 5S or RDX Smoke Blue 6.0. No where to hit anything for months so ordering blind. Suggestions anyone?

I joined a new course this year with more demanding par 4's, either just longer or that play longer. Distance off the tee will be critical to maintaining the same level of play I expect from myself. This driver is now added to my list of those to try and with my bias toward Callaway I expect it to be 'the winner" for me.

Look forward to your testing feedback and it's a good year to be in the market for a new driver

Great article, @Jman. Always enjoy reading your reviews. (y)

I’m looking forward to trying these now, and if I like it, I’ll be getting one in August for under $350 on CPO in like new condition.

Nice work as always @Jman.

Suffice to say I'm very happy that I didn't commit to a new driver last year. I love the green/white color combination. I currently use a Rogue, so it will be interesting to put this new model up against it.

Great write-up James. This is a really good looking line-up with tech that is seemingly off the charts, at least until Callaway introduces their next releases. Lol. From reading the article, I am thinking the Max LS driver and Speed FWs would be in my wheelhouse.

Had a distance fitting yesterday with Callaway and fitter recommended the Max LS would be best fit, just a little extra forgiveness that can’t hurt.

Now to decide on shaft, sort of a toss up between the MMT (stiff) or I spend a few extra bucks and go Ventus Blue 5S or RDX Smoke Blue 6.0. No where to hit anything for months so ordering blind. Suggestions anyone?
What shaft are you playing now and/or what shaft do you love?

What shaft are you playing now and/or what shaft do you love?

Hi Michael....thanks for reaching out. I fight high spin and my current shaft in my Epic Flash Sub Zero is a soft, high spin shaft, an Evenflow Green 6.0 (55 gram).. I find I have to be very dainty otherwise the soft tip takes over and “trouble”.

As I said I was looking at either the Ventus Blue 5S or the Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX. I am not a fan of a soft tip plus I like the softer middle to help me load and combined with the counter balanced properties I hope to get a little more zip. Unfortunately we are in full lockdown for next month or so , so no where to test. Appreciate any guidance Mike....thanks.

I am really scratching my head about all the bitching and moaning on social media about Callaway releasing too many drivers. I don’t understand. These are normal release cycles and why are options a bad thing?

First time hitting the fairways and this one

20210116_134501.jpg20210116_133518.jpg

is going to get some serious consideration for a bag. Speedy. I want all fairways to have adjustable hosels though. I know the 'reasons' behind it, but I don't care.

Last edited:
I will buy the Max LS, mostly likely. I want it.

after a day of frustrating lefts with the mav max, and finding the miss to be trending too much in that direction, max ls has my full attention.

Back