Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

Has anyone compared the Mav SZ Fw to the new Speed fw? What’s the general thinking? The mav is tempting because of the added ability to move the front and rear weight.
I prefer the Mav SZ. Could be the pairings, but the Speed 3 was just less versatile. Fast and flat. I needed to go with 4w. Lots of pros being real reluctant to pull the SZ 3W from their bags, too. It was a good one. Best I tried last year. @MattyD-MPLS picked one up a little while back. Maybe he'll share what he thinks of it.

I had another near perfect day with the Epic Max LS yesterday. I played with my instructor from a couple years ago that I used leading up to the 2019 Grandaddy. I have given up on lessons and practice for that matter because it does not noticeably improve my game or scores. I struggled with driver a lot back then so it was awesome to put on a stripe show and put most of my drives out past him. He shot a one under 70 to my 83 so driver was the only area I was able to keep up with him.

It is hard to find words to describe how forgiving the Max LS is compared to other recent releases. The Std. Mavrik was a great club that I very much enjoyed playing although I struggled with a hook at times with it. I wrote off all those pull hooks as being my fault for putting a crappy swing on the ball. When the Max LS turned those toe side hooks into playable shots I wept tears of joy. Comparing it to the Mavrik Sub Zero the club it replaced in the lineup shows just how much better it is for most amateur's. It gives me the lower spinning bombs from the center of the face and the max forgiveness on the perimeter that the Sub Zero lacked.

I do not keep a handicap or track fairways and greens hit. I love to play golf but do not like to get bogged down with statistics. So yesterday I cannot say how many fairways I hit because I am not always aiming for the fairway. I aim for areas of the hole to avoid trouble and set up my second shot so if I hit that shot and it ends up off the fairway I consider it to be a good drive. Using this logic I did not miss a single tee shot yesterday. That is something that I never thought I would be able to say but the Max LS has made it a reality and I expect to hit a good drive every time I step up to the tee box.

The Ventus Black 7S and Max LS combo appears to be REALLY nice! Just hit some balls at the range with the combo and I really liked the feel, balance and performance, given a fairly small sample size of course. The Ventus black feels very one piece without any highly tangible kick, but without feeling harsh or boardy. I think that's in large part because it is a stiff flex and not an X.
I seem to get along better with mid 70g shafts in the driver. I suppose the added bit of weight just helps me slow down enough to get more consistent strikes.

Didn't have my best swing going today off the tee, but I continue to enjoy the Triple Diamond. It has really neutralized the left miss I was getting at times with the standard Speed. I'm still finding it to launch a bit lower as well, so I have to make sure to tee it up and hit up on it for best results.

The Max LS/Ventus black 7S combo has shades of my old flame, the G400Max Aldila Black 7X.

4 rounds with the LS and I can't believe the difference from the MAX.
No Hook Drives, None at all. Such a difference!!!
Wished I had the LS head 2 months ago....

Last edited:
Well wanted to make a change with my 3w with a new shaft and ended up buying a 4w epic speed off CPO today with the exact shaft. This is what happens reading 90 pages of Epic Speed and it’s raining out.

First round with the triple diamond was very successful. I took both my tsi3 with an Accra tz6 55 m4 and the triple D with the stock riptide 6.0 with me. Only hit the tsi3 on hole 1 and the rest were with the Callaway. This is my home course so I know where I usually end up and the Callaway was slightly longer on average but it was super straight. I had plans on swapping the riptide out ASAP but it really surprised me. On paper it shouldn’t work for my swing but tonight it was great paired with the 9* triple D.

Despite a couple scorchers, it showed why Speed is that fraction less of a perfect fit for me today. The hotter toe side and dynamics high on the face of mine just don't work the same magic. Still absolutely LOVE the sound. That reminder pretty much convinced me to hot melt my A driver.

Despite a couple scorchers, it showed why Speed is that fraction less of a perfect fit for me today. The hotter toe side and dynamics high on the face of mine just don't work the same magic. Still absolutely LOVE the sound. That reminder pretty much convinced me to hot melt my A driver.

Given how well driver A performs for you, I’m surprised (although maybe I shouldn’t be) that you’d mess with it and add hot melt. Don’t touch it!!!

Last edited:
Given how well driver A performs for you, I’m surprised (although maybe I shouldn’t be) that you’d mess with it and add hot melt. Don’t touch it!!!
I've thought about it for a while. It'll be fine. I have an extra weight in it, and I'll just pull it and add that much.

Maybe keep the Speed around though just to make to make sure.. :unsure:

The Epic Speed 5 wood was very good off the tee last night on holes where driver was too much. I used it 4 times and hit the fairway or first cut every time.

I've thought about it for a while. It'll be fine. I have an extra weight in it, and I'll just pull it and add that much.

Maybe keep the Speed around though just to make to make sure.. :unsure:

I have full confidence in your club tweaking skills. Please proceed.

One thing I forgot to comment on regarding the the triple diamond after round one was how awesome the sound and feel was. I may have found my first Callaway driver since the 816 dbd that I will keep in the bag, definitely not selling the tsi3 just yet though

I have full confidence in your club tweaking skills. Please proceed.

I feel the trust!!

Despite currently having PopPop level mobility, I'm out here making SURE of everything with the Speed, because I'm thorough as ****. :p

After reading here, I picked up a MAX LS head and ready to take to the course today. Early thoughts on range is that I dont know if its much longer than my Epic Flash SZ (based on swing caddie s200 numbers) but dang is the thing forgiving and seems so much more consistent across the face

The fact that I'm moving the Speed both directions with ease and precision this morning, for big numbers, is kinda pissing me off, honestly. I hate it when clubs hear they're going to be benched!!!

The fact that I'm moving the Speed both directions with ease and precision this morning, for big numbers, is kinda pissing me off, honestly. I hate it when clubs hear they're going to be benched!!!
My Ten did that the other day. I almost put the DoubleWide in the bag due to a couple of eh rounds and then putted lights out with the Ten.

My Ten did that the other day. I almost put the DoubleWide in the bag due to a couple of eh rounds and then putted lights out with the Ten.
Edit: sorry @ttucliffhanger . That original gif wasn't meant for you. :ROFLMAO:. I was playing. There was a lot going on.

Double wide > 10. Every time! :p

Last edited:
After reading here, I picked up a MAX LS head and ready to take to the course today. Early thoughts on range is that I dont know if its much longer than my Epic Flash SZ (based on swing caddie s200 numbers) but dang is the thing forgiving and seems so much more consistent across the face
I'm on the hunt for an LS now as well to put against my Speed. There's a part of me that just thinks the LS will be a better fit for how I'm swinging now vs back when I did the fitting in March.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

I'm on the hunt for an LS now as well to put against my Speed. There's a part of me that just thinks the LS will be a better fit for how I'm swinging now vs back when I did the fitting in March.

This is exactly what happened to me - What I was in March is not the same in July.
I'm glad I picked one up on CPO - It came "Like New" as described

This is exactly what happened to me - What I was in March is not the same in July.
They've been moving out of CPO so fast so great job scoring one!! I'm exercising patience as best I can .

The Max LS/Ventus black 7S combo has shades of my old flame, the G400Max Aldila Black 7X.
The G400 max is regarded as one of the most forgiving drivers of all time. I have never played a Ping driver but hearing Max LS comparison
The Epic Flash SZ is a bomber so I doubt you will see much difference in distance on well struck shots. The forgiveness across the face that you mentioned will turn into confidence on the tee box. The LS is perfect for my good swings and the bad ones too.

I need a Speed head to hit. My swing is completely different than when I was fitted in February. We changed it during my lesson...

They've been moving out of CPO so fast so great job scoring one!! I'm exercising patience as best I can .

I looked at the site at 7:59 and called "My Guy" at CPO at 8:01

Back