Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

The lesson will help. Drink wine tonight and look forward to the lesson.;)

i decided to drink wine now and tonight. seemed like the right decision.

i love the epic max when i time it. i don’t feel like the head is the issue. i just don’t feel that i have a combo that is working for me.

i love the epic max when i time it. i don’t feel like the head is the issue. i just don’t feel that i have a combo that is working for me.

A good match of driver and shaft ... sometimes it's a journey.

And that requires drinking...:ROFLMAO:

Got the 10g weight up front and 5G weight in the back and it just works!!

D159431E-B388-4E72-9E2A-A908855F9641.jpeg7B10C6FA-FCD3-48B2-A8CA-EABC66727D9A.jpeg

Attachments

• C5B6A87E-0805-4243-9327-C76B1341B5D3.jpeg
    C5B6A87E-0805-4243-9327-C76B1341B5D3.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 4

Bummer it seemed like it was working so well for you a while back.

I run into the same thing with my EF now. Most the time it goes straight or draws but if I try to really swing fast I can get those high weak shots leaking to the right

I run into the same thing with my EF now. Most the time it goes straight or draws but if I try to really swing fast I can get those high weak shots leaking to the right

yep, it was great early on which gives me hope it can keep working.

@McLovin what driver did you pick up?

2nd trip out with the new Max, 10 / 12 fairways hit, 2 that went left on me, but both were due to me sitting up that direction according to my son standing behind me. I absolutely love this driver. Hit some lazers with it, at least for me.

The heel of the Epic Speed is not a good place to live. To many shots there today and lots a lot of distance, still hit the fairways but left me with some longer than normal approach shots and the GIR suffered for it.
Had the guy I was playing with watch and said I was reaching for the ball to much, stood just a bit close and fixed the issue on the back 9 and hit every fairway and got the distance back.
Game of inches.

The heel of the Epic Speed is not a good place to live. To many shots there today and lots a lot of distance, still hit the fairways but left me with some longer than normal approach shots and the GIR suffered for it.
Had the guy I was playing with watch and said I was reaching for the ball to much, stood just a bit close and fixed the issue on the back 9 and hit every fairway and got the distance back.
Game of inches.
I think this is so true. I know when im hitting the Max LS well my alignment, set up and distance from the ball are on. I think what happens sometimes is I just don't line up consistently and I need to really figure out a way to do that consistently. I believe the same is true for tee height but have found some tees with markings that make it very easy to set it at the exact same height every time. That really helps. Lol I've ended up giving some of these tees to some of the guys I play with. Game of inches says it all.

Last edited:
lesson this morning then an afternoon round. made some much better passes at the ball and was getting decent distance. of course the rest of my game decided not to show up, but it was nice to have some good vibes with the driver.

Had a tournament this weekend and the Max LS straight up performed! I hit some absolute bombs with it. I wish I would have been tracking my stats, but was only using the ShotScope for yardages. That is the most fairways I have hit ever. I can only recall 2 that I missed and one was that it went through the fairway and into the first cut on a dogleg left. I will say this, every time I pulled it, we used my drives on those holes. Just in love with this driver. I did win a RadSpeed XB and it came in this weekend as well and I will be gaming it this Friday during my round. I'm interested to see how it fairs against the Max LS. I honestly don't think my Max LS will be beat. The RadSpeed XB has some HUGE shoes to fill! I don't want to game it on one hand because I don't want to screw up a good thing, but on the other, I like to tinker and want to see how they fair against each other. I'm excited to see the results. I threw an extra ShotScope tag in my bag, which I will carry in my pocket and just pull it and bump it against the watch when I use the driver so I can get some real time data to see how it fairs against the Max LS. This Saturday was the best I have played all year. We used all but 5-7 of my shots for the entire 18 in a 4 man scramble and we shot -9 for the day in really really wet conditions.

Had a tournament this weekend and the Max LS straight up performed! I hit some absolute bombs with it. I wish I would have been tracking my stats, but was only using the ShotScope for yardages. That is the most fairways I have hit ever. I can only recall 2 that I missed and one was that it went through the fairway and into the first cut on a dogleg left. I will say this, every time I pulled it, we used my drives on those holes. Just in love with this driver. I did win a RadSpeed XB and it came in this weekend as well and I will be gaming it this Friday during my round. I'm interested to see how it fairs against the Max LS. I honestly don't think my Max LS will be beat. The RadSpeed XB has some HUGE shoes to fill! I don't want to game it on one hand because I don't want to screw up a good thing, but on the other, I like to tinker and want to see how they fair against each other. I'm excited to see the results. I threw an extra ShotScope tag in my bag, which I will carry in my pocket and just pull it and bump it against the watch when I use the driver so I can get some real time data to see how it fairs against the Max LS. This Saturday was the best I have played all year. We used all but 5-7 of my shots for the entire 18 in a 4 man scramble and we shot -9 for the day in really really wet conditions.
I will add to this that I hit multiple drives over 280 during my tournament and had a few upwards of 300 yards and had no roll due to the we conditions. Most drives hit and then bounced back a foot or so. This thing is an absolute monster for me.

I'm going through one of those stupid situations that could have been prevented with a good fitting six months ago.

My buddy got fit for an Epic Speed and I liked it so I decided I needed to get one too. I already had several shafts so I bought a Speed 10.5 head on ebay. I liked it just fine, but it wasn't head-and-shoulders above my prior Rogue SZ rig and I felt like I hit it too high. When I'd turn the 10.5 down to 9.5 I didn't like the open face, so I was generally ambivalent about it.

I ended up trading the Speed for an Epic Max also in 10.5. The Max was way more forgiving for me, but still hit it too high. I got to thinking if I only had a 9* head I'd be better off.

Then a 9* came available, but it was a Big Bertha 2021 instead of a Max. I traded for it anyway, and honestly it's been pretty great. I like draw-biased heads and it sets up easily and sounds and feels great.

Then I wasn't sure if I had the right SHAFT so I went for a shaft fitting.

My shaft fitter convinced me that the RDX Blue 5.5 I was using wasn't the best fit for me and suggested a Smoke Yellow or Smoke RDX Black. I grabbed a Smoke RDX Black in 6.0 and it has been great.

HOWEVER after using a bright blue shaft in the blue Big Bertha head, it was a little odd looking down at the same blue head with a deep black shaft. This may be the silliest/least logical/least practical reason ever to swap from a driver head that is working quite well into a different one. Still I am weak so I ordered an Epic Max head in 9.

I most definitely won't sell the BB head unless the Max is as good for me or better.

lesson seems to have gotten me back on track. hit driver really well on most holes yesterday, so i might be friends with the driver again haha

Playing the Speed today. And I feel like @$$, so it better bring it! Good clubs are supposed to help you when put a crap swings on the ball, and it's wet, and the wind is from a foreign direction, right?? :p

I really do love the sound. Bunch of buddies and I are collecting heads again for a hot melt party do my other one can sounds a little better

I know not everyone appreciates or even cares about the sound of a driver at impact, but when I went for my shaft fitting there were a couple of shafts the guy wanted me to try in a couple of new Tour Edge heads. I instantly understood how some players develop a sensitivity to impact sounds. Holy crap those Tour Edge clubs were loud and harsh and hollow sounding! The sound like a fifty-foot tall tennis racket.

I'm going through one of those stupid situations that could have been prevented with a good fitting six months ago.

My buddy got fit for an Epic Speed and I liked it so I decided I needed to get one too. I already had several shafts so I bought a Speed 10.5 head on ebay. I liked it just fine, but it wasn't head-and-shoulders above my prior Rogue SZ rig and I felt like I hit it too high. When I'd turn the 10.5 down to 9.5 I didn't like the open face, so I was generally ambivalent about it.

I ended up trading the Speed for an Epic Max also in 10.5. The Max was way more forgiving for me, but still hit it too high. I got to thinking if I only had a 9* head I'd be better off.

Then a 9* came available, but it was a Big Bertha 2021 instead of a Max. I traded for it anyway, and honestly it's been pretty great. I like draw-biased heads and it sets up easily and sounds and feels great.

Then I wasn't sure if I had the right SHAFT so I went for a shaft fitting.

My shaft fitter convinced me that the RDX Blue 5.5 I was using wasn't the best fit for me and suggested a Smoke Yellow or Smoke RDX Black. I grabbed a Smoke RDX Black in 6.0 and it has been great.

HOWEVER after using a bright blue shaft in the blue Big Bertha head, it was a little odd looking down at the same blue head with a deep black shaft. This may be the silliest/least logical/least practical reason ever to swap from a driver head that is working quite well into a different one. Still I am weak so I ordered an Epic Max head in 9.

I most definitely won't sell the BB head unless the Max is as good for me or better.

I think the Epic Max LS would have been a closer match to the Rogue SZ from a spin and launch perspective.

I think the Epic Max LS would have been a closer match to the Rogue SZ from a spin and launch perspective.

Likely so. The Rogue SZ was a pretty good match for me and forgiving enough with the weights swapped and the heavier one in the rear. However, when I owned a Max 10.5 I appreciated the extra forgiveness outside the sweet spot.

Who will be the winner? My vote is on my gamer (EPIC Max LS).
7BE60BF3-14FF-4F30-8B3D-1213EE988342.jpeg4590C01A-5DB4-4BFB-9480-3EE877FE8199.jpeg22A839C2-A57B-452E-B09A-950BE67F3FA5.jpeg

Last edited:
Back