Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

A495F80E-0B8C-499E-970F-DF52BBE9DDBA.jpeg

I’ve played this hole a hundred times. I found a spot I have never been before.

Had my first outing with the new Max LS and the results were promising, but there's work to be done. What I found, with the settings at -1/N and weight about 2/3 of the way to the toe side of the track, was the newfound draw with the driver remains but is definitely dialed down. Unfortunately I picked the head up at the post office and headed down to the golf course so I didn't get any time to really play with it so the results were mixed.

Hole 5 - dogleg slightly left, so I was trying to hit a draw anyway, but over cook it and lose the ball left. Not a great swing, but I was pleased to see a strong draw rather than the straight up hook I had been seeing.

Hole 6 - Best of the bunch. Pretty much a dead straight hole, line up down the right side of the fairway and produce a nice slight draw that gets out to 275

Hole 8 - Straight with woods right and pond left. Aim down the middle and over draw the shot into the pond. Again, ball is moving left quite a bit but it's not a hook so I'm okay with it despite the lousy result

Hole 10 - Another straight shot, another similar result. Again start the shot right down the middle of the fairway and it draws off to the left but stays in play just in the rough. Definitely the most well struck of the bunch as this one gets out to 295. At this point we're running out of daylight so I decide to take another swing with this one and to trust what I was seeing. So I line up down the right side of the fairway and fire away. Similar result as it draws back but starting it up the right side lands me in the middle of the fairway and this one was a solid 20 yards deeper than the first one so very pleased in that aspect.

All in all I'm very encouraged, as the (hundredth) new swing seems to work well with the driver and has really helped my iron play. I think my next move with this will be to adjust the weight all the way toward the toe side of the track as, from what I've been able to find, that should help tone down the draw even further. Please correct me if that's wrong :LOL:. I'll also play around with my grip to see if I can find the right combination.

The one thing that really jumped as different for me was the sound. I'm not usually one to notice sound but this has a very different sound than the B21 had, being sharper to my ears. Not unpleasant, but definitely different.

Your results are pretty similar to mine. If I try to step on and hit a draw, it becomes a hook so I've learned if I swing easy, it's hard to hit a bad one with this driver. The sound is a big change from the B21 and was kind of shocking going from the muted sound of the B21 to Max LS.

Your results are pretty similar to mine. If I try to step on and hit a draw, it becomes a hook so I've learned if I swing easy, it's hard to hit a bad one with this driver. The sound is a big change from the B21 and was kind of shocking going from the muted sound of the B21 to Max LS.

I'm still tinkering with shafts in mine. Doesn't help that my Mavrik has been on point since I picked it up... Need to find some time to hit the range with it and get it dialed in. Lord knows I've got plenty of driver shafts with Callaway adapters in them.

I'm still tinkering with shafts in mine. Doesn't help that my Mavrik has been on point since I picked it up... Need to find some time to hit the range with it and get it dialed in. Lord knows I've got plenty of driver shafts with Callaway adapters in them.
I have actually went back to the Evenflow Riptide shaft in my Speed head and it has been great. Just nice little draws most tee shots.

The Mavrik is another great one. I enjoyed my time with it, but you know...the grass is always greener.

Phew, I'm actually really glad to hear that the sound stood out to you as well. I was borderline worried there was something wrong with it :ROFLMAO:. I hit one at the LGS a few weeks ago but didn't really notice the sound, but out in the real world it definitely caught my attention.

I have actually went back to the Evenflow Riptide shaft in my Speed head and it has been great. Just nice little draws most tee shots.

Riptide and I never got along with it in the Mavrik line, so I went with the MMT option in my LS. Currently have it paired with the Velocity though, which has worked out well so far. Still need some good range time though.

Phew, I'm actually really glad to hear that the sound stood out to you as well. I was borderline worried there was something wrong with it :ROFLMAO:. I hit one at the LGS a few weeks ago but didn't really notice the sound, but out in the real world it definitely caught my attention.

I noticed it immediately as well. Figured it wasn't fair to disparage coming of the standard Mavrik that has such a pleasing sound on centered shots.

The first time I hit it, I was a bit shocked as well, but it's not terrible. If it's possible to separate sound from feel, I prefer the feel of the Max LS.

The first time I hit it, I was a bit shocked as well, but it's not terrible. If it's possible to separate sound from feel, I prefer the feel of the Max LS.
I would agree, it was just a shock coming from the B21. I also agree on feel, I feel like I get better feedback on face contact with Max LS than I did with B21.

My 💎💎💎LS showed up yesterday. Going to play around with Ventus Red and Blue (both 6S) and go head to head against MAX LS. Hoping to get that sound of the std Speed with the low spin and forgiveness of the MAX LS. I'll report back. Will have to be just feels and looks as my outdoor range doesn't have any tech.

I hit some really nice drives with the Epic Speed my last 2 rounds when I swung within myself. When I try to kill it the results are not good.. more me than the club. My good friend got fit into the Epic Max and has been hitting the longest drives of his life with it.

Tried the Epic Speed with the standard Smoke im10 50G shaft today and it's going straight in the bag. Feels so good and the shaft works really well for me. Not as stout as the Smoke RDX, but stable and nice and crunchy feeling for me. Only missed two fairways and I had significantly more distance than I typically do.

I had a league season ending scramble this week. I was the D player on my team, but everyone was very impressed with how I was hitting the ball. One comment from the team's A player was how far I can hit driver. My best contact came on a short par 4, but somehow we couldn't find the ball. It should have been just right of fairway or green at worst, but we figured my ball must have ended up under one of the two small pine trees just short of the green. But then we did take my drive on the next hole.

As for my play, I'm finding that I just need to focus on a smooth swing and trust what I've learned from my lessons. Good contact gives me better results than when I feel like I have to swing harder.

Range session tonight to work on the whole bag but the driver has been where my biggest issues are (all my swings fault, not the driver). I'm close to breaking through and the consistency is really starting to come. But I just have to say, when a ball comes out of the center of the face on the Speed, there isn't a better sound or feel (even with crap range balls). I had a SIM last year and thought nothing would ever beat the sound and feel of that one for me. Now that I'm peppering the middle of this face consistently, I am now converted. It's addicting hearing and feeling the crack of the ball. Callaway nailed it with this club. I can't imagine what they will have in store for December

I had a sim session with the Mas LS last night and the ball speed retention on less than perfect swings and consistency I am seeing with this driver is so impressive.

went with 💎💎💎LS in a scramble this morning. Paired with the Ventus Blue 6S, this thing is a beast. Definitely longer than the MAX LS with the Ventus Red and I ended up winning the long drive so I suppose I'll try and game this combo. Did a medium bucket last night just to get a feel but the sound is WAY better with the TD (don't get me wrong, the sound on the MAX is totally tolerable). I had gotten used to the MAX LS sound and I still appreciate the forgiveness but I'm a solid 10 yds longer with the TD when struck well. It's always a dance with distance vs forgiveness but the Ventus Blue / TD LS combo seemed to be working for me today. Time will tell.

Last edited:
A good friend of mine just got fit into the Epic Max. Now 2 of my 3 usual playing partners have the new Callaway drivers in their bag. One more to go!!!

💎💎💎 wins in my bag. Send me a message for a mint MAX LS 9 deg head if you want it. Will post in the for sale forum tomorrow but figured I’d give the thread peeps first dibs. I also have a ventus red Velocore that is absolutely amazing for sale. Send PMs.

The Speed driver was just on fire today. Just consistent little draws or straight ball flights that where getting good distance for me. Paired with the Riptide shaft it has been working great and will stay with the shaft/head combo.

Just looked at my epic speed today in the bright sunlight and realized the metallic flakes in the paint are actually green. I just thought the head was black. Nice touch Callaway.

Sent from my SM-F711U1 using Tapatalk

So for fun week I have put the Speed 9* - Riptide LX Proto in the bag. Finally got to hit it on hole #4, and I forgot how mean it looks.

20210921_113238.jpg

It also goes 338y landing in Bermuda rough and makes you pull out tricky wedge shots into 485y par 4's, so we might need to get reacquainted.

The Callaway tech looks legit, but our track was built in 1906.
We're not playing at 7000 yards.

I got out t play yesterday and had another great day of driving the ball. I don't think I've ever felt more confident with a driver before. Playing yesterday on a hole where I usually hit less than driver off the tee to find the fairway, I pulled driver and took it over the trees to a small landing area. A miss right would have been in the hazard and if I had pulled it, it would have gone through the fairway OOB. I hit it exactly where I was aimed and it took off about 50 yards from where I usually play from.

Switched out the Ventus Blue for the HZRDUS Blue yesterday in the Speed and it was fantastic. Not sure how much of it was the shaft or the work I've been putting in on the range but the ball was the straightest it's been in a long time. Now the question is what shaft do I use for the Best Ball tournament on Saturday :unsure:

Back