Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

Hold the press. A new contender has manifested itself. The Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS...

I hadn’t hit a golf ball for almost two months. We have had a break in the weather. It warmed up to low 40’s. So, yesterday, I played 18. To say it was muddy, was an understatement. Look at my caddy and shoes.

First swing was a tee shot on a straight, fairly short par 4. A tight, flat draw that went over 300 yards. Yes, it is 4000 feet elevation, but it also was 43* in very soft conditions. It is about as good as any drive I have ever had on that hole, given the cold air and mud.

The next driving hole was a par 5. Another drive over 280 yards. The driver was consistently giving me these nice flat draws. Towards the middle of the round, I struggled with some toe hooks, but I figured out it was a set up issue and the last three driving holes reverted back to what I was seeing out of the gate.

It is strange. I picked up this head from another THPer late last May or early June. It didn’t work very well, but I had a different shaft in it. I also had it set up differently. Yesterday, I used Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60, 6.0 and -1/N for the setting. It is a 10.5* head, so it was playing at 9.5*. I took it out just kind of for kicks, thinking that I was going to sell it, but now I am definitely holding off to see if it was a one time anomaly, or if I have stumbled into something.

ED121DE2-1284-4E39-807C-175BFEACFA50.jpeg06E8A33C-8CE6-400A-B1B2-9E3391C9F700.jpegCB9B7295-3A47-4336-9A00-A89434C5A1A0.jpeg8EF0524A-D898-4225-99C6-E97BC1945864.jpeg824D6E66-740B-4F6D-B537-FE400230D68F.jpeg

Last edited:
Hold the press. A new contender has manifested itself.

I hadn’t hit a golf ball for almost two months. We have had a break in the weather. It warmed up to low 40’s. So, yesterday, I played 18. To say it was muddy, was an understatement. Look at my caddy and shoes.

First swing was a tee shot on a straight, fairly short par 4. A tight, flat draw that went over 300 yards. Yes, it is 4000 feet elevation, but it also was 43* in very soft conditions. It is about as good as any drive I have ever had on that hole, given the cold air and mud.

The next driving hole was a par 5. Another drive over 280 yards. The driver was consistently giving me these nice flat draws. Towards the middle of the round, I struggled with some toe hooks, but I figured out it was a set up issue and the last three driving holes reverted back to what I was seeing out of the gate.

It is strange. I picked up this head from another THPer late last May or early June. It didn’t work very well, but I had a different shaft in it. I also had it set up differently. Yesterday, I used Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60, 6.0 and -1/N for the setting. It is a 10.5* head, so it was playing at 9.5*. I took it out just kind of for kicks, thinking that I was going to sell it, but now I am definitely holding off to see if it was a one time anomaly, or if I have stumbled into something.

View attachment 9059792View attachment 9059793View attachment 9059794View attachment 9059795View attachment 9059796
which head?

Do I really need a different driver? These numbers say, “no.” This is the Speed Triple Diamond LS, 10.5*, set at standard loft and lie, using a Graphite Design Tour AD HD 5 X shaft. This was my first TrackMan session since October and the second time I had hit a golf ball since The weekend before Thanksgiving. I will pick up some speed as I hit more, but the overall numbers would be tough to beat, imo.

74973598-0744-4604-9BA4-9223D5270BA3.jpeg1AFB1AC9-571B-4A9A-9952-AE36626EDFA8.jpeg74973598-0744-4604-9BA4-9223D5270BA3.jpeg1AFB1AC9-571B-4A9A-9952-AE36626EDFA8.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve been watching the Callaway Pre Owned site and see the Epic line (2021) has been slashed in price.

So now I’m thinking about buying one and looking for some feedback on them from people who have used them for a while. My order of interest would be Max LS, Max then Speed.

Do I really need a different driver? These numbers say, “no.” This is the Speed Triple Diamond LS, 10.5*, set at standard loft and lie, using a Graphite Design Tour AD HD 5 X shaft. This was my first TrackMan session since October and the second time I had hit a golf ball since The weekend before Thanksgiving. I will pick up some speed as I hit more, but the overall numbers would be tough to beat, imo.

View attachment 9061564View attachment 9061565View attachment 9061564View attachment 9061565
Haha, how many drivers since this session? So far I been able to hold off ordering anything and plan to test against my Tsi4 before committing. It has been hard and still may fail as it’s taking forever for all the heads to show up here

Haha, how many drivers since this session? So far I been able to hold off ordering anything and plan to test against my Tsi4 before committing. It has been hard and still may fail as it’s taking forever for all the heads to show up here
“Need” vs “want” are two different things. I truly enjoy trying different offerings. I truly have no illusions about anything improving my game in a way that would manifest itself in significantly lower scores.

“Need” vs “want” are two different things. I truly enjoy trying different offerings. I truly have no illusions about anything improving my game in a way that would manifest itself in significantly lower scores.
I am 💯 with you

second time out with the epic max 5w and it was much better than the first outing. i think that's just me swinging better, though. it was cold and breezy and i was between hybrid or fairway wood into a long par 3. wind in, water left, and a group was waving us through. basically a recipe for a nice smother hook. nope, hit a nice penetrating baby fade that flew the green lol. it was a great shot. also had to hit it into a par 5 for my third shot, and again it was hit beautifully just came up a little short. the kbs td shaft feels fantastic, so much that i wouldn't mind trying it in driver too.

Finally got a chance to hit the Epic Speed 3 wood yesterday (Thanks THP!!). I haven't been hitting 3 wood much lately because it's been an absolute hook machine for me. I was playing a TM RBZ 3 wood, for what it's worth. I got to the range yesterday and went through my normal warm up routine and then grabbed the new Epic Speed 3w. Wow! This thing just wants to go straight and even hitting into the wind it just kept going and going. It was just so easy to hit. On the course, I saw the same thing. It just goes dead straight for me. On the second hole, a 410 yard par 4, I hit driver but blocked it right and into the rough. I've lost several balls in the rough on this hole, so I hit a provisional with the new 3 wood just in case. I found my first ball, but I was impressed that the 3w was dead center of the fairway and same distance as my driver, though obviously the 3w got a bit more roll in the fairway. Still, I was impressed. A little more practice with it and I think I will finally have an alternative club off the tee when the driver goes nuts.

The Drivers, Epic Max, did nothing really for me, but my older son, with his 115 SS and X-stiff PX Riptide 70 appreciated it a lot. I kept the Speed but I was not consistent with it - one day on, 3 days off.

I did like the Epic Speed 4 wood - very consistent as was the Epic 7 wd. They performed. But I have found other true loves.

I went all-in on the Rogue ST - so my former clubs are currently residing at callawaygolfpreowned while I wait for the Rogue ST Max 9 and 3HL Fwy to arrive.

Would the Epic Speed 3 wood be a good upgrade from my OG Rogue SZ 3 wood? Looking more into trade in some clubs for a used Epic Speed

Would the Epic Speed 3 wood be a good upgrade from my OG Rogue SZ 3 wood? Looking more into trade in some clubs for a used Epic Speed

I think you will find better feel and easier launch than the original Rogue.

I didn’t have a lot of luck with the Epic Speed 3 & 5 woods, but I was able to trade them (and get a little credit added to my account) for the Epic Max version. They arrived in brand new condition, but I haven’t been able to play for the last two weeks due to weather.
That changes tomorrow, as we’re finally about to break the 50* barrier. I’m looking forward to giving them a go.

Managed to get out for 18 yesterday and got to hit the Epic Speed 3wood some more. With my previous 3wood, 230 yards total distance was the most I expected on good center hits. Yesterday, my shortest off the tee with the Epic Speed was 228 into a headwind. The others were 241, 246, and 255, which are awesome numbers for me. The great part though, is this thing just goes straight for me. I struggled with hooks with my old 3 wood, so this has been a very nice surprise.

epic max 5w has been such a solid purchase for me. a huge thank you to @vgolfman for answering some questions i had. i hit it 4 times today, and all 4 shots were very good and playable. i have a ton of confidence with it, and the flight has been super straight. the kbs td has been an awesome pairing. i'm thrilled with this.

epic max 5w has been such a solid purchase for me. a huge thank you to @vgolfman for answering some questions i had. i hit it 4 times today, and all 4 shots were very good and playable. i have a ton of confidence with it, and the flight has been super straight. the kbs td has been an awesome pairing. i'm thrilled with this.
Great to hear and glad I could be of some assistance.

Epic Max LS is staying in the bag for the foreseeable future. Got to do some sim golf this weekend, and was very pleased with my swing speed, but also the spin. I was worried late in the season about not enough spin being a problem for me, but I was consistently hitting in the mid to high 2000s, and that is right where I want to be for bombs.

Melt snow, melt!

Played yesterday and the Epic Speed 3wood continues to amaze me. I had a short dog left par 4 that was playing about 305 yards, so pulled the 3wood. I caught the ball low on the face and felt my hands turn over too much. I was expecting to hook it into the trees, but the ball just jumped off the face and drew around the corner. 225 yards on a pretty bad mishit is phenomenal for me. I'm still working on hitting off the deck, but this thing is a fairway finder off the tee.

After hitting a buddies Epic Max LS I put in an order for one on CPO and it'll be delivered today. I need to see if I can lower this 4500 RPM of spin I'm getting with my F9.

Note to self, it isn't always a good idea to take a brand new club straight out to the course without any warmup. I tried the Rogue LS 3+ wood with ventus red 7s shaft off 2 tees and neither struck it well. I was overswinging which led to low running draws which still were fine but not the ball flight I should be seeing with it. Last night at the range I slowed it down and loved what I saw. Lots of high, straight balls with great distance. Looking forward to getting it back out again as my primary use for this will be off the tee.

I did hit the Rogue LS 5 wood a few times in the round and it surprises me every time. It is so easy to hit and is getting more distance than my previous epic speed 5 wood. Plus, they absolutely nailed the sound on it!

Have the epic max Ls and have been tinkering with the head lately and added an extra 16g weight to the head paired with an Oban devotion 6 HB. I have seen this done with the ping 425 head fingers crossed this produces similar results.
5d0f6fefbde13b88f0a0bf8110823da6.jpg

77d721d1bb6fba2ad87741de28fb19ce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moved from the Mavrik Sub-Zero into the regular retail Epic Speed and I don't find it particularly draw biased. I'm able to easily work it in either direction. Ball speeds are up a good 4-5 mph (from 159/160 to 164/165) over my old Mav SZ and far more forgiving than the Mav. Definitely higher spinning (mid-spin profile), but it's just about dead perfect when set at 8*. And the feel is among the best I've ever hit. GREAT CLUB.

Epic Speed 4wd was my favorite club during my last round. Used 4 times off tee and 3 were perfect draws and results for the holes. Such a fun club.

Since I can't figure out if i want to buy a new driver.

hard pondering an Epic Speed triple diamond off CPO. $320 seems pretty reasonable for a like new. :unsure:

Back