Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Four years ago, Jailbreak revolutionized drivers, and two short years later A.I. did the same. Now, Callaway’s A.I. technology is actually revolutionizing the Jailbreak system, in a big way. 

Today, Callaway is officially announcing their new Epic Speed metal woods lineup and looks to build on why is has been the #1 selling driver in golf as well as on worldwide Tour’s. There is much pressure that comes with the Epic name given the success of the past iterations, but as would be expected, Callaway believes they’ve taken yet another jump in performance and overall fitting potential. 

For this article we will dive first into the drivers, and then the fairways. Are you ready?

Callaway Epic Speed Drivers

Being real, the Epic driver and Jailbreak is what cemented Callaway as...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
What a release! Bold green, with a great carbon top, and I’ve always been a fan of the Epic name.

I don’t know which model I’d look at - I think I’d have to try each to see which fit best. I’m initially drawn to the Speed though.

The Projext X HZRDUS Smoke IM10 shaft sounds intriguing, but see it’s not available in XS.

And lastly, look at all those fairway options! 3 wood through 11 wood?!

Great review @jman!

Those look just insane! Great write up @Jman great stuff as ever. So many different options, and fitting potential that am sure most people would find a configuration that would be phenomenal for them.

Good work @Jman. Will be fun seeing testing come out on these.

🤨 I’m just not digging these. This is all based on looks as performance matters more, but they look ehhh. Kinda recycled. But callaway makes quality products so I’m sure they’ll perform.

I really like my Epic Flash. This generation goes immediately to the must try list.

I like that they are calling the faster model the Epic Speed. The std. Mavrik was the fastest of the three in that line but with the STD. moniker many looked past it based on the name alone. Who wants the plain vanilla standard model with ultra cool names like Max and Sub Zero available. I know what my swing speed is with driver and the cyclone shape gives me 1-2 mph and when I switched to the counter balanced Tensei Pro Orange I saw another 2-3 MPH increase. The looks are fine with me, I went with an all black custom Mavrik and I bet the Callaway Customs team will make these attractive to any golfer.

Great write up @Jman!
I’m really digging the Epic Speed driver!
They’ve really done a good job at continuing their Epic legacy with some incredible new tech!

This one and the RAD speed are on my try list for 2021 for sure!

Great write up @Jman
Really like the looks of these and with the Epic name definitely in line with what I expected.

Great write-up @Jman , lots of info in those pages. Very excited about the new Max LS and the Speed. Don’t know much about the stock shafts and the custom shaft option is from 2020, so appears still have some work in progress. I hate to lighten my wallet even more but the Callaway Customs in all black just looks Bada**!

2326C8CA-34BE-41EC-B454-CB8237FAA8CF.jpeg

So there goes my plan to get fit by the end of the month.

Honestly, I am surprised the price didn't come in higher than $530 for the driver.

Wow! Great write up for sure! Thanks man. I’m definitely going to try these out and the sim2 drivers.

Sweet write up. Love all the tech stories

Swipe through for images

I think I will like this release. Epic max ls. I will hit this driver later this morning. I saw the head the other day — without any info — and didn’t know where it would fit other than low spin. I love my 3w mav sz. Excited, I went and hit a mav sz with a ventus black 7x. All I could muster was a bunch of low spin knuckle balls. Funny that I left that session with a crazy idea that I needed more spin. I fully expected the new epic sl would be the same, and I would be looking at other options. And to my surprise here comes the faster, more spin epic max sl. Goldilocks club?

Another top notch release from Callaway!

I’ve been gaming that SZ in every Callawray driver since the OG Epic so I’ll definitely go in for a full fitting.

Yep - Can't get my money out of my pocket fast enough.
The feature that is really standing out to be is "Forgiveness" on the miss hits.
I'll be interested to read about the Stock Shaft options.

Well, these are the only drivers on my radar for 2021. At first read they don't appear to be anything life-changing but they'll get a chance to show me otherwise.
I like what I'm reading about the Max LS. The other 2 don't really move my needle.

Love that Callaway always brings it on the tech front. Impressed each and every year.

Some initial thoughts:

- Very, very, very happy to see the Mavrik shape used in the Epic Speed. It’s my favorite shape of any driver I’ve played and just feels fast
- Mav fairways were so hot. Can’t believe they have now matched driver CT. Epic Speed line will be BOMBERS
- The “Toe Patch” is interesting and explains why the two colors just appear in that spot. From leaks, I thought that design looked a bit silly/busy, but if there is a tech story behind it—weight savings—I’m all for it.
- Pretty cool that their two biggest tech stories since I got back in the game—Jailbreak and AI—have come together in the Speed Frame and Speed Blades. Really curious to see some numbers and what effect the improved Jailbreak will have on ball speeds.

Excited to learn more!

Last edited:
Actually like the look of these. Really need to drop the epic name though

Me after reading this article. All of those sound freaking amazing but the LS probably tops the list for me based on what I'm reading. Interesting that the Max and Speed are both Draw biased but I do like that the Max has the sliding weight.

Back