Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

Well, bye bye money...

Epic Max LS and the Speed 3 wood are sick...

Ventus Blue 🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑

I heard from a fitter today that the Max LS at his location is near 50% clip for golfers coming in. Which is freaking staggering for a brand agnostic place and not only did he not expect it, but didn’t have the same success with Epic Flash or MAVRIK, despite it doing well.

I know nothing about the type of golfer coming in, but its apparently doing extremely well in fittings.

I heard from a fitter today that the Max LS at his location is near 50% clip for golfers coming in. Which is freaking staggering for a brand agnostic place and not only did he not expect it, but didn’t have the same success with Epic Flash or MAVRIK, despite it doing well.

I know nothing about the type of golfer coming in, but its apparently doing extremely well in fittings.
The ball speed I was getting was just crazy, and the spin was low, but not crazy low like others have noted. Was able to tighten the dispersion against the speed. And the 3 wood was silly. It was like cheating

I LOVE the looks of this Driver, need to get into the hitting bay and try out a few of the new ones

Lower spin, neutral bias AND forgiveness with GREAT sound/feel......win, win, win AND win!:cool:

If I understood your post, the LS was lower spin for you than the Speed? That surprises me. These heads are confusing to me.
LS is lower for me than Speed. I don't think that's uncommon.

Ok now that I am at my laptop, I can put some more thoughts down.

I had a fitting at Club Champion in Cleveland this afternoon. I went in for a full long game fitting, as I am pretty happy with my irons.

My current gamer is a GBB Epic 9, set at +2D with a Fujikura Pro Green 70 shaft in stiff.
My 3 wood is also a GBB Epic, same shaft as driver.

With my gamer, I averaged a 110.8 swing speed with 161.2 ball speed, smash factor 1.46. 15 degree launch, and 2700 spin. As you might have guessed, with this shaft, it was pretty wild with misses going both ways. We quickly got to the Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X in the Epic Max LS head which really brought down the dispersion. Spin was lower, smash factor went to 1.48 and 1.49, and even as I wore down and swung a little slower, the ballspeed was still there. Notably, the ball speed was better retained on misses. On the drives where the spin was a bit lower, the launch and ballspeed were still high enough to keep the ball in the air, and my fitter was not worried about it at all. We tested against a few other manufacturer's heads, but the Epic Max LS was the most consistent. The flight was predictable, with a nice draw. If I can count on hitting a draw every time, instead of the prayer I throw up every time with my gamer right now, it is going to be a great thing.

We went on to 3 wood, and tested a few options before we tried the Epic Speed. Compared to my current 3 wood, I gained 2.8 mph of clubhead speed, 9.1(!) mph of ball speed, and almost 20 yards of carry distance. The smash factors according to the trackman were 1.54 at best, and 1.51 at worst. It took only 4 swings, and we had the fairway for me. Hitting the ball felt like I was hitting a cloud, and it just went like a damn Space X rocket.

Ended up in a Mavrik pro 3 hybrid to fill out the top of the bag, that is for another thread.

I am very happy with my fitting experience at Club Champion. I now have to weigh the cost of these clubs, and whether I will buy from CC or from Callaway. The numbers in the end are coming much closer together than I expected before I sat down to really look at it.

Callaway has a freaking hit on their hands.

Ok now that I am at my laptop, I can put some more thoughts down.

I had a fitting at Club Champion in Cleveland this afternoon. I went in for a full long game fitting, as I am pretty happy with my irons.

My current gamer is a GBB Epic 9, set at +2D with a Fujikura Pro Green 70 shaft in stiff.
My 3 wood is also a GBB Epic, same shaft as driver.

With my gamer, I averaged a 110.8 swing speed with 161.2 ball speed, smash factor 1.46. 15 degree launch, and 2700 spin. As you might have guessed, with this shaft, it was pretty wild with misses going both ways. We quickly got to the Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X in the Epic Max LS head which really brought down the dispersion. Spin was lower, smash factor went to 1.48 and 1.49, and even as I wore down and swung a little slower, the ballspeed was still there. Notably, the ball speed was better retained on misses. On the drives where the spin was a bit lower, the launch and ballspeed were still high enough to keep the ball in the air, and my fitter was not worried about it at all. We tested against a few other manufacturer's heads, but the Epic Max LS was the most consistent. The flight was predictable, with a nice draw. If I can count on hitting a draw every time, instead of the prayer I throw up every time with my gamer right now, it is going to be a great thing.

We went on to 3 wood, and tested a few options before we tried the Epic Speed. Compared to my current 3 wood, I gained 2.8 mph of clubhead speed, 9.1(!) mph of ball speed, and almost 20 yards of carry distance. The smash factors according to the trackman were 1.54 at best, and 1.51 at worst. It took only 4 swings, and we had the fairway for me. Hitting the ball felt like I was hitting a cloud, and it just went like a damn Space X rocket.

Ended up in a Mavrik pro 3 hybrid to fill out the top of the bag, that is for another thread.

I am very happy with my fitting experience at Club Champion. I now have to weigh the cost of these clubs, and whether I will buy from CC or from Callaway. The numbers in the end are coming much closer together than I expected before I sat down to really look at it.

Callaway has a freaking hit on their hands.
The smash factor is outrageously good.

I hit my epic speed with ventus blue stiff shaft for the first time at the range. This is such a good pairing and i was swinging it well. I cannot wait for warm weather so i can get it out on the course

Can someone post the head weight for each 2021 Epic model; total head weight with stock weight in? Thanks

Each model head weight is right around 194G with stock weight and no adapter.

Got a chance to hit the Epic Speed yesterday at a demo day.

Let's just say I've got a tough choice ahead of me. I got fit earlier this year for a driver. Unfortunately, due to some swing changes and injuries the shaft setup just doesn't work for me. So while at a demo day trying irons, I gave the drivers a shot. Immediately preferred the look of the Speed down by the ball, so we started there. First tried the MMT 60 shaft, but that wasn't the best fit. Next we tried the iM10 - which I thought felt really good. We tried it at full length, then the fitter suggested playing it shorter as I was still leaving the ball out to the right.

At -1" I didn't lose any clubhead speed, and was finding the center of the face more - the blocks turned into push draws, and ball speed was EXTREMELY consistent. The thing about the club that most impressed me was the sound/feel. Just incredibly solid as compared to both the G410 LST I have and the Epic Flash. In both the 410 and the Flash I have the club draw weighted, so the slight draw bias of the speed is not an issue for me.

Really nice offering from Callaway this year. Stinks that it's not adjustable, but for those that fit into it I think the Speed is going to be a big hit.

Thanks for this. Anyone else have any MMT vs PX IM 10 comparisons? What great stock shafts to choose from I too am leaning toward the IM 10 in a 10.5 LS. I will be testing the Speed again as well but so far its the LS.

If I understood your post, the LS was lower spin for you than the Speed? That surprises me. These heads are confusing to me.
LS in 9° and/or 10.5° with 17G in the weight track was 200-300 rpm lower spinning than Speed 9° -1/N with 14G in the back.

Got a chance to hit the Epic Speed yesterday at a demo day.

Let's just say I've got a tough choice ahead of me. I got fit earlier this year for a driver. Unfortunately, due to some swing changes and injuries the shaft setup just doesn't work for me. So while at a demo day trying irons, I gave the drivers a shot. Immediately preferred the look of the Speed down by the ball, so we started there. First tried the MMT 60 shaft, but that wasn't the best fit. Next we tried the iM10 - which I thought felt really good. We tried it at full length, then the fitter suggested playing it shorter as I was still leaving the ball out to the right.

At -1" I didn't lose any clubhead speed, and was finding the center of the face more - the blocks turned into push draws, and ball speed was EXTREMELY consistent. The thing about the club that most impressed me was the sound/feel. Just incredibly solid as compared to both the G410 LST I have and the Epic Flash. In both the 410 and the Flash I have the club draw weighted, so the slight draw bias of the speed is not an issue for me.

Really nice offering from Callaway this year. Stinks that it's not adjustable, but for those that fit into it I think the Speed is going to be a big hit.

You know I always read you fitting posts and demo posts and think....I should just go off of his recommendation.

Man my custom panda LS is taking a bit, but it'll be worth the wait. Gonna be MEAN paired with my Ventus Black.

So I just received some unfortunate news from callaway....

Apparently the shaft I was fit into which was a Project X hzrdus smoke 70 gram stiff is on backorder until May...

Has anyone else experienced this?

The only reason I found out about this was because I called them asking for a tracking number.

Since I ordered the club from PGA TOUR Superstore, in order to help with the sting of the news, they are providing me with a tour van fitting experience free of charge.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Seeing a lot of Ventus Black in this thread. In hindsight, I wish that I tried to fit into one of the stock options before going right to an aftermarket shaft. Next time...

So I just received some unfortunate news from callaway....

Apparently the shaft I was fit into which was a Project X hzrdus smoke 70 gram stiff is on backorder until May...

Has anyone else experienced this?

The only reason I found out about this was because I called them asking for a tracking number.

Since I ordered the club from PGA TOUR Superstore, in order to help with the sting of the news, they are providing me with a tour van fitting experience free of charge.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Similar for me, though shows April in my online order. Smoke black rdx 70 for my 4 wood.

The ball speed I was getting was just crazy, and the spin was low, but not crazy low like others have noted. Was able to tighten the dispersion against the speed. And the 3 wood was silly. It was like cheating

yeah, that 3 wood is crazy good. Like stupidly good. Like "why do I need a driver?" good. Then you hit the driver and you remember why.

yeah, that 3 wood is crazy good. Like stupidly good. Like "why do I need a driver?" good. Then you hit the driver and you remember why.

Very cool....making me feel even better going w/ the 4W now.

Seeing a lot of Ventus Black in this thread. In hindsight, I wish that I tried to fit into one of the stock options before going right to an aftermarket shaft. Next time...

Just between the IM10 50 and 60, MMT 60, Rogue White, Evenflow lines, Smoke Black and Smoke Black RDX, you've got a lot of top-tier "no upcharge" shafts to demo and choose from. I went with the IM10 60 and MMT 60 in the two heads I ordered, since I have already accumulated a bunch of Callaway Rogue White and Evenflow shafts. Really a lot to choose from, and a selling point for Callaway IMHO.

So, I’m pretty sure I’ve fallen in love with the shape/size of the Epic Speed. It’s such a classic looking head. Only thing that concerns me is the fact that during the Q&A today it was mentioned that the speed is more draw biased than the Mavrik. The draw bias of the Mavrik was the only knock I had on it and the reason I switched to the Mavrik TD. Now they bring out an even better looking head that is more draw biased 😥

I am very interested to hear long term thoughts on it. And more specifically if anyone happens to put the flat adapter in this bad boy. Wonder how much draw bias can be taken out by flattening out the lie angle.

I suppose I can always fall back on the Max LS. It’s no slouch either.

Tested out the Epic Speed 3 wood with very good results. Ordered the Epic Speed 4 wood for a little more control.

Love the look of the club. Launches high and easy to hit.

Back