Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

more forgiving, sounds better, looks better, and on and on and on.

Is this a club or a 2nd wife?? lol

Sounds like you've kind of found what you were looking for in the Mav Max in this one. That's awesome.

Is this a club or a 2nd wife?? lol

Sounds like you've kind of found what you were looking for in the Mav Max in this one. That's awesome.

my friend, i absolutely have! epic max is fun as hell for me. i have confidence on the tee. i'm not nervous anymore. i feel i can move the ball in either direction if i want to, but i can also trust the straight ball. i can make it go high or go low. and when i miss, particularly out of the toe, i'm not adding penalties to my score anymore. also clean crown is cool ;)

my friend, i absolutely have! epic max is fun as hell for me. i have confidence on the tee. i'm not nervous anymore. i feel i can move the ball in either direction if i want to, but i can also trust the straight ball. i can make it go high or go low. and when i miss, particularly out of the toe, i'm not adding penalties to my score anymore. also clean crown is cool ;)
Sounds like fun golf to me and confidence is a huge factor. I can see your HC dropping big time this year. :D

A buddy was just here and commented on how similar head size/shape my 2 favorite drivers are. And he pointed out that my Speed has a bit of the rub on top that I end up getting on all my favorites from something in my bag. 😕

20210416_112625.jpg20210416_112751.jpg

They definitely are similar though, and the LS just always feels a bit large to me, visually. I'm not sure it has a long term home here.

A buddy was just here and commented on how similar head size/shape my 2 favorite drivers are. And he pointed out that my Speed has a bit of the rub on top that I end up getting on all my favorites from something in my bag. 😕

View attachment 9003478View attachment 9003479

They definitely are similar though, and the LS just always feels a bit large to me, visually. I'm not sure it has a long term home here.
Are you not putting the headcover back on after hitting it?

Are you not putting the headcover back on after hitting it?
I am!! I don't know where they come from!! There's black magic at work!

Well grey magic. On gloss black.. :(

i agree with snicks. if you liked the 400 max, i really think you'll love the epic max. mav max was a very good driver, but personally it did not outperform the 400 max. epic max is absolutely a better driver for me than 400 max was. it's so much more neutral, more forgiving, sounds better, looks better, and on and on and on.

It’s from inside your headcover you wear them out. 😀

I am gaming the G400 Max with the Ping Tour Stiff shaft in it, but I am getting itchy. Is there something out there now that is that much of a difference maker? I feel like I lack feel with this driver.

I would be turning those headcovers inside out as we speak, could be stitching or a glob of glue. Throw that cover away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the first week of league, I had the hosel settings at -1 and D, but it did seem like ball flight was slightly low. I'll try the settings at S and D next week and see how that works. I'm hoping maybe I'll get a touch more distance and more draw.
I played the Mavrik Max at 9 degrees. When i demoed the Epic Max LS for me it was much lower launching at 9’degrees. A friend of mine i think a 3 hdcp tried it and he plays his Sim 2 at 8 degrees and it launched low for him as well . Ordered it at 10.5 left it there S/N slid the weight halfway towrds the heel and it has been great.

Short story
Just got the Mav pros in today and was at the range 30 minutes later.
I hit the 4 iron between 210 -215 in the air straight as an arrow with beautiful trajectory. seemed it took forever for the ball to come down.
I have never hit a 4 Iron over 200 let alone with a range ball.

09becca863c2a6f29054a45959e481fd.jpg

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Another pretty good day with the Speed. Was really cold so not going to go by distance at all. Accuracy was pretty good, had a couple slight pulls but they ended up in relatively good shape. Still finding most shots to be a slight draw with a nice flight. Supposed to play in some warmer weather on Sunday and Monday, so that should give me some good info.

Sooooooooo, my order was pushed to back back back order status. Apparently the shaft I ordered was the kicker, so they pushed it to the middle of JUNE! I called customer service and asked, and that was the case. SO, I swapped out from the HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60 S to the Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S......so I (should) be able to get it ASAP now. Crossing my fingers.

Question for anyone using Speed with slow swing speed. I have the 40 gram Cypher shaft, 10.5 degree. I am really happy with the sound, feel and forgiveness, but trying to determine best loft for distance. I do not know my AOA but wonder what effect adjusting the loft to 9.5 or 11.5 will do? I have a fairly high trajectory at 10.5 so do not need extra loft even though I have 80 mph swing speed.

Has anyone hit this against the TSi3? Curious how they compare for a fast swing speed.

Today was the absolute worst day off the tee with the Epic Max driver. 5 OB balls was rouuuuugh. I have been hitting it so well. League play in the morning so kept at it all day.

bright spot, after 3 months, my Epic Speed 4 wood arrived last night, and I hit that soooooo well today.

Driver testing

16C52B45-6BEA-4416-BE8E-07360886AC3F.jpeg

Confusion has now set in. I thought that I was pretty well set on the RadSpeed, but I decided to play the Speed today, just once more before taking it back to the store on my 90 day exchange. I proceeded to have one of the better driving days in recent memory, hitting 9/10 fairways when I had driver in my hands. It really feels great too, when you flush one. Argghh... I don’t know what to do.

Confusion has now set in. I thought that I was pretty well set on the RadSpeed, but I decided to play the Speed today, just once more before taking it back to the store on my 90 day exchange. I proceeded to have one of the better driving days in recent memory, hitting 9/10 fairways when I had driver in my hands. It really feels great too, when you flush one. Argghh... I don’t know what to do.

:unsure:

Flush it some more.

Oh so now you want to gamble too!!! Feel like I am being suckered into coming up to Montana.
Probably be like it was at the Grandaddy and playing @Luke WilliamsCG and being 50 yards behind him off every tee box but the par 3's.
But if you want play some skins, I'm up for that my friend. :golf2:

Its cute you think you were only 50 yards behind...

Hit the Epic Speed fairways on the sim for the first time... holy ball
speed!! Had a couple finish around 270 off the tee with the stock iM shaft. Face felt very explosive too.

Question for anyone using Speed with slow swing speed. I have the 40 gram Cypher shaft, 10.5 degree. I am really happy with the sound, feel and forgiveness, but trying to determine best loft for distance. I do not know my AOA but wonder what effect adjusting the loft to 9.5 or 11.5 will do? I have a fairly high trajectory at 10.5 so do not need extra loft even though I have 80 mph swing speed.
If your trajectory seems to be too high, drop 1° of loft and see what happens. The face will be open slightly so if you fade or slice, set the adapter to -1/D.

That feeling you get when a shaft pairs well with your driver. The Ventus Red with the Max LS was stellar today in it's maiden voyage. Straight bombs even against the wind.

Has anyone hit this against the TSi3? Curious how they compare for a fast swing speed.
Let me introduce you to @OldandStiff

Lol How fast are we talking? I like to think of myself more as efficient than fast, with selective/situational efforts toward speed. I'm too old and broken to burn hot all the time.

I think any answer would be pretty individual too. I have a friend who is much faster than I am that shouldn't really play either one. And not for fun reasons. Speed doesn't necessarily define a fit.

For me, set up as close to same as possible, the speed seems to launch a just a tiny bit higher and spin a little less. It seems like the TSi3 is a little better for my miss (high face) and the Speed is better towards the toe. They're both fast, but I think on the button I get a little more out of the speed. Tad more draw bias with the Speed I think, but I haven't had much issue moving it both ways.

They're both so good. If I had to pick one for a big round tomorrow that was real tight I'd pick the TSi3. If it was more open, really long, and I wanted to hit some bombs, the Speed. I'd expect a miss mixed in with that though. I can hang on sometimes when I'm going for it and low spin left bias enjoys that more than I do. lol I feel like I can go after the TSi3 with a little less left worry, but there's a tiny bit less there when I do everything right. :confused2: When you ramp up the SS the TSi3 is a little louder to my ears, and depending on your ball can sound a little more hollow. Not bad at all though. Pleasing. The more dense sound of the Speed is kind of addicting though.

I honestly don't know how I'm ever going to decide long term. Someone else might see a wider divide in results between them depending on their swing and how their differences fit them, but I love them both. I'd wager they're each with me through the year.

Back