Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

The Ventus Blue 5S in the Epic Max LS just keeps getting better and better. Bought the Ventus Blue without trying one but I have always liked Fujikura shafts in a driver. Hoped and thought it would be good. The combo for me has been better than good and with the better weather and dry fairways just love it. There is a video posted in the thread about Ian Poulter talking about limiting driver lofts to no less than 9 degrees. {don't know how to post it here}. It is Kyle Berkshire working with Bryson DeChambeau on ball speed and club head speed. He tells DeChambeau to really focus at the top of the swing on letting the club load before going into the downswing. I focused on that today and the times I did that I hit driver as well as irons better than ever. Just a great video. really helped me.

Epic Speed was good for 10 FIR today. I had one pull and that was me, I got flat and just swing it like a softball bat. :banghead: Other wise when I was swinging good today they where just nice straight high drives with a bit of draw to them.
I have been using a Srixon soft feel ball lately and has proven to be a good combo and given me a few more yards on the drive.

Well after six weeks of lockdown finally got out this morning for 18 and my Max LS Custom (thanks again @MH ) behave very handsomely. Only have one T-shot that cost me a stroke but that was my swing. I have the Max LS paired with an Accra TZ6 M4 Proto and it is a sweet combination not only does it perform but it also looks pretty hot and sound is great coming from my Epic Flash Subzero. Out again tomorrow at 7:06....yippee!

Be
After almost a 6 week layoff due to lockdown up here, we are finally able to play golf starting tomorrow and will be hitting the links just after 7 AM. Looking forward to getting my twice played Max LS out on the links. Jimmy’s a Happy Camper!

Beauty, I’m glad your hitting it well and glad Ford finally pulled his head out of his a$$ and allowed the courses to open

Last 10 Rounds with Epic Max = 58% FIR. Last 5 Rounds with Epic Max = 67% FIR.
That’s all, I’ll leave now

The Epic Speed driver was really good for me yesterday (after getting a couple topped drives out of the way). It was windy but I was hitting fairways and getting good distance. I didn't hit a single ball OB on a course where it is really easy to.

Interesting tidbit about the Epic Max fairways. I had some Callaway credit from an Epic driver return, and decided to pick up an Epic Max 5 and 7 wood, with the 70g version of the Smoke im10 I am using in my driver. Only took two days for them to ship after placing the order. Took the new fairways out for 9 holes this past Friday for their maiden voyage.

7 wood is a valuable club for me, off the tee on long par 3's, and for second shots on certain holes on my course. Generally speaking, being able to hit a 7 wood off the deck is an important aspect of a 7 wood. Anyway, I tested the 7 wood off the deck about 5 times on Friday, and had 5 mishits. It was really bizarre. Off the tee was OK, but a disaster off the deck. Couldn't explain it, and I am consistent with my Epic Flash 7 wood off the deck.

I had basically decided to return the Max fairways after this one round, when I decided to troubleshoot a bit this weekend at home. I look at the sole of the 5 and 7, and notice there are two weights. I take the weights out, and interestingly, Callaway puts a 14g weight in the front, and 2g weight in the back, stock. Certainly for the 7 wood, I figured that would/should be reversed, so I set that up for a round today. That was it, as I had no issue off the deck with the 7 wood today. Maybe because this was just a whim of a purchase for me, I was not as attuned to the settings as I otherwise would be. But I wonder how many people would not realize that this weight setup would influence the performance this much. I think I might leave the 5 wood in that stock setting, but it also performed pretty well for me off the tee on a few holes today with the heavier weight in the back.

YMMV.

Finally, finally, finally something is clicking with the speed and smoke black rdx. As some of you know I've been getting some swing help to get a good path going and after discovering I was putting waaay too much weight on my heels at setup I've unlocked something special. The forgiveness across the face is even better than mavrik IMO as I've had some really poor strikes that still get a nice drive comment from my playing partners. Today I played in a scramble and got to the fringe on a 312 yard par 4. Had a tail wind helping me out a little but that's abosulte beast mode for me and my 95-100 mph swing. As the confidence grows the drives keep getting better. Highest FIR is 76% from last week and that's super not typical for me . Excited to keep this driver in play.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Another round in and another round where I was able to hit some great shots with the 4W on the course this weekend. I did have one miss that was just me dropping the club 6" behind the ball on a tee shot but that's certainly not the clubs fault. Highlight of the day was a 245 yd tee shot into a quartering wind. This this one may be here to stay.

The Epic Speed 7w performed great this weekend. So easy to hit off the deck and off the tee box. Still not sure of the gapping quite yet. Seems to fit well between the 4w and the 4 utility club but will require more rounds to make sure.:)

Guy came into my store today with a broken shafted rogue driver.....brawny fellow......says I normally play X .....let's try club X and see the results......

Have him hit g425 with tour 65 stiff.....meh, then a Speed head (of course) with stock smoke 6.0.....
Then LS head with MMT 60x .....better but not quite.....

SIM2 with tensei blue 65X .....10.5......bomb drops.....he's excited , I'm excited......now I'm running around looking for an X flex Ping shaft.....nothing found, then I see a 70x MMT Callaway and say what the heck.....put it in LS head moving wgt to toe and he just looks at me!

I tell him to hit it again.....and he does....again!

Then I walk away but I instruct him to alternate drivers( SIM2 v LS) with 3 shots each.....I come back and NOT. EVEN. CLOSE

Another satisfied Callaway customer!

I’ve been so close so many times.
every time I hit one in the 290’s, my wife likes to rib me with a “Bryson hits it 300”.

well today, for the first time, I’ve made it to the 3bills club.
Epic Max was a monster today.

12DD2EAE-A9C1-45DD-A767-D2E418344230.jpeg

Finally had a good driving day in league yesterday. First drive, 277 into the wind. Second drive was caught way out on the toe, almost missed the club. Was as expected a big hook, but it started out right and came back to the tune of 250 of the most undeserved yards I will ever get. Then 278 into the wind again. Last drive was a little swipy high cut that still went 265. The ball speed retention all over the face is real, and I love it.

What do I see before my eyes…? Wuuut….

If the head wasn’t a little scratched, it would be headed home with me.

0EE42160-4D10-495D-BB05-196BCA2D47CC.jpeg

Last edited:
After a long wait (due to shaft delays) I finally got my 4 wood Speed in. Can't wait to tee it up this weekend.

Officially joining the 4 Wood Revolution

There were scratches on the crown….

Well make them discount that damaged piece of crap, take it home, go @tahoebum on that crown and sand it down, and then gloss it back up. Or don't, and just hit Epic bombs with that raw beauty!! I mean..:confused2:

Shaft fitting today with Epic Speed 9 and my Instructor on Trackman

Admittedly, I have not hit a driver in over 2 weeks, rain, travel, etc. much less a ball on the range, so I began the session heeling everything. We corrected it - kind of.

First up was stock EvenFlow Riptide 60 at 5.5. I'd hit a good ball, then not so good, swing speed 92-95. Instructor wanted to look at the shaft at 45 inches - it measured 213 cpm (low, low, low) and the waggle waggled. That was weird. We were still trying to get my arms closer to my body for the heeling to cease. Ballspeed low - 130's We also tried the Max 9. But he wasn't as impressed with my results.

Then we tried the Speed in Accra FX 2.0 260 M3 (Regular) at 45 in - it measured at 240 CPM, waggled a bit, torque at 3.6. Some good, some not as good. Did not spend much time with it.

Then he tried a TPT 17 Series Hi, about 63g, was more consistent, but Jon (Instructor) wanted to try something lighter - enter the TPT 19 series - lighter and swing speed increased to 96-97 (haven't done that in 15 yrs on Trackman or any monitor). We were concerned about height and spin - 100 feet, 2800 spin but ball speed at a high of 138.8. We also tried the TPT 19 Lo but we did not like it as much.

He looked at the Riptide, Accra and TPT Results - and said "you consistently gain 15 yards with the TPT over the other two even with the higher spin and you get better dispersion." I took a look at the chart and was surprised. Maybe there is something to a machine made TPT shaft - when he waggled it, it only waggled up and down, or side to side, there was nothing out of sync.

I should also mention he had a special sleeve and had my loft down to 7.5 with the Series 19. I said, "What?" He answered, "If it works, it works." Think I need to bring my launch angle down.

So long story short, after more thinking and looking at dispersion, he decided to tip the TPT 19 Series and play it at 45.5 inches to get a little more speed. He lofted it at 8 degrees I tried it at D5.5 and it felt heavy, and then he settled at D3.5 .... but by that time, I was gassed. I'd hit drivers for 2.5 hours and was done.

So he hit the new setup at 98 mph swing speed on Trackman - and said if you get it at 98 mph, you will get 142 ball speed or so - about 238 carry and 268 total. I was amazed that he could hit my swingspeed immediately when he swings 105+. Then he said, "Go pound it when you're not exhausted."

Sounds good to me. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Rain and work have kept me from playing for a couple weeks and I am having Epic Max LS withdrawals. Two rounds booked for next week should get me right.

I had a great day with the Epic Speed driver today. I hit some decently long drives and a good number of fairways. I'm starting to get comfortable with this one!!

Helping your scores at all?
Over this season so far, Yes. I had a personal best 80 a couple weeks ago. Yesterday in general, it wasn't the drivers fault. It was my approach game and a tough course to blame for that.

Back