Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

I've really made some good improvements with my swing and the speed seems to be performing well with the smoke black rdx. Reading the thread has a small part of me wondering if I'm leaving some on the table by not having the max LS. Is the spin close between the standard and LS for some? Seems like the LS may have some additional forgiveness based on some of the findings in here. I might have to see if I can get a head to try out.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

I have been playing mavrik max for a while now with a Evenflow riptide shaft.
Last week i had the opportunity to test the Epic max in 10.5 and a Max LS 9 degrees.
Must say that the Max was pretty high and the LS pretty low. But wow, the LS was long while the Max was much easier to hit.
So next time i gonna test the LS in 10.5 and the Max in 9 degrees.

Yeah, that's the combo to roll with IMHO, 9* Max, and 10.5* Max LS. I flip flop between the two, was playing the Max LS regularly, then the Max, and now I think I am going back to the Max LS. The Max LS is just more fun to play, and while perhaps slightly more challenging, it is really quite close in terms of forgiveness. Both great heads, though. Good luck.

Played a lot of golf over the weekend and was able to hit some bombs with the Speed. I am still hitting mostly draws with it, but I am seeing a touch more of that left bias than I would prefer lately. I might demo a Max LS over the next few weeks and see how much of a difference I see.

I’ve sometimes wished my Epic Speed was more draw-biased. Found a deal on a Max head in the same loft and I’m bringing it in for a shootout.

I’ve sometimes wished my Epic Speed was more draw-biased. Found a deal on a Max head in the same loft and I’m bringing it in for a shootout.
Have you put the speed in the upright setting? That closes the face and makes it a bit more draw biased

Max LS is definitely lower spin for me than the std.

Last edited:
My cogs are set to -1/D. I assume that is slightly upright and slightly open?
Yes, and exactly how I have mine setup. In that case the Max head was more draw biased in my testing.

Yes, and exactly how I have mine setup. In that case the Max head was more draw biased in my testing.

Thanks. I can turn the Speed over reliably on the range and a good part of the time on the course too, but my miss is cutting slightly across with the face open which robs me of a lot of distance. I'm thinking with the Max head I might be able to go for it a little more often.

In my search for driver #2 testing with the Epic Speed and Epic Max was pretty darn good. Testing both with a shortened shaft at 43.5 like I play my own 2nd driver saw the Speed tendency to go a little left, but kind of eliminate the right side of the hole, which I liked. I notice left with most heads when shortening like this. The Max was closer to straight.

Spin difference was about 400 rpms with the Speed coming in at around 2900 and Max at about 3300, which is exactly what I want in that spot.

Still testing a bunch of clubs, but these performed really well.

In my search for driver #2 testing with the Epic Speed and Epic Max was pretty darn good. Testing both with a shortened shaft at 43.5 like I play my own 2nd driver saw the Speed tendency to go a little left, but kind of eliminate the right side of the hole, which I liked. I notice left with most heads when shortening like this. The Max was closer to straight.

Spin difference was about 400 rpms with the Speed coming in at around 2900 and Max at about 3300, which is exactly what I want in that spot.

3,300 rpm and straight seems awfully perfect in that 2nd driver spot

Interesting that you see left with a shorter driver shaft, I'd expect more of a fade bias based on the lie angle, but taking a side of the hole out of play is always nice.

Looking forward to giving this line another run at my fitting next week.

3,300 rpm and straight seems awfully perfect in that 2nd driver spot

Slightly less than what I had with XXIO and could be a pretty good winner.
It also sounds fantastic which helps.
Lot more testing to come as I make my way through these heads.

Hi, new to this forum (directed here by Muchmore 18). Got to play with my new Epic Max Driver for the first time today, set it up with extreme Draw bias, and absolutely loved it! Loved my BB Fusion, as well, but the Epic Max is much, much lighter. Now I'm thinking of upgrading my fairway woods from Fusion to Epic Max. Such a big price for fairway woods, but will gladly take the hit if they are better than my Fusion 3, 5 & 7.

Would love to get feedback on how well they are performing since they are so new.

Thanks!

Considering trying out a max LS for windy days. My Epic Flash has been amazing but straight into the wind it gives up some distance.

Got out for a quick nine tonight with the HZRDUS Smoke Blue now in the Speed head. Felt fantastic and I honestly felt more connected to the driver head with it. Only six shots taken, but I was finding center face more often and it's just a perfect crack sound. Kind of forgot what it sounded like since I've been living on the toe the past few weeks lol

Excited to put it back through the paces with a new shaft

Hi, new to this forum (directed here by Muchmore 18). Got to play with my new Epic Max Driver for the first time today, set it up with extreme Draw bias, and absolutely loved it! Loved my BB Fusion, as well, but the Epic Max is much, much lighter. Now I'm thinking of upgrading my fairway woods from Fusion to Epic Max. Such a big price for fairway woods, but will gladly take the hit if they are better than my Fusion 3, 5 & 7.

Would love to get feedback on how well they are performing since they are so new.

Thanks!
Epic Max driver is pretty highly talked about! Glad you like it so much!

You said you may upgrade to Max fairways. What are you looking to get out of new fairway woods compared to your Fusions? Is there a miss you're trying to eliminate? More distance or more forgiveness? Fusions are five years old at this point so I have no doubt you'd see some performance upgrades with the Maxs but it just depends on what you're looking for. I have a Nike Vapor Flex 5w in my bag right now from 2015 and wouldn't trade that club for anything. I'm just so comfortable with it and it does exactly what I need it to do and what I expect it to do.

Last edited:
My Fusion FWs are forgiving enough, just looking for more distance and thought the new tech of the Max fairways would help in that regard. Loved my Fusion Driver, too, but judging by my first round yesterday with my new Epic Max Driver 10.5 (set at minus 1, D, with the weight set @ D), I found it much lighter and definitely got more distance.

My Fusion FWs are forgiving enough, just looking for more distance and thought the new tech of the Max fairways would help in that regard. Loved my Fusion Driver, too, but judging by my first round yesterday with my new Epic Max Driver 10.5 (set at minus 1, D, with the weight set @ D), I found it much lighter and definitely got more distance.
I think you'll get more distance out of these. The new AI face that they have in them, made the sweet spot bigger so even if you don't get a ton more distance, you'll get that distance more regularly. But with the effort they made to get ball speeds closer to the driver with this line, I doubt you won't see some increase in distance since a hotter face usually equates to the ball going farther lol

Also seeing you set your driver to the draw setting, the Max would for sure be the right starting point for fairway for you. Remember these are fixed hosel, so there won't be any adjusting (except for front and back weights) in these. But the Max is set up for a Draw bias in the first place.

And you don't need to get them all at once either since that is a big chunk of change. You could go test them out at your nearest fitter. Or if you're like me and don't have that option, you could just purchase one and see how it goes for you. Callaway has a 30 day return policy(from shipping date) if you order from them and if you use it and don't like it, you get 100% refund on a gift card to use on something else.

Back