Callaway FT Optiforce Driver Review - Forum Testing

War Eagle

the Beags of THP...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Rum
Callaway has sent out the new FT Optiforce driver to THP forum members for a round of Forum Testing. Packages should be arriving soon, and this thread will serve as a spot for the testers long term thoughts and reviews as they put the Optiforce through it's paces.

Last edited by a moderator:
When the FT Optiforce was first announced from Callaway, my ears instantly perked up. It is known by many, that I am a big believer in the benefits that a lighter weight head and shaft pairing can do for ones game. A little over a year ago, I started to test the waters with a driver that, at the time, was the lightest driver ever made, and the success I found with that driver was phenomenal. Over the course of the past year and a half, my game evolved a bit, and my swing speed increased slightly as I began to find my way with my swing. Over time, I found that a bit more was needed out of the driver in regards of stiffness of the lighter shaft, so I moved on.

Then, the FT Optiforce comes along. Stock shaft is lighter in weight, but doesnt sacrifice stiffness due to weight. Pair that together with a head that has reduced weight and a lightweight grip on the butt end of the shaft, and we are staring at a setup that has my mind going in all sorts of directions.

Callaways focus with the Optiforce is all about combining a lighter head with improved aerodynamics in order to generate more club head speed, which will then provide the golfer with increased ball speed and more distance off the tee.

Holding the club in hand, the first thing you notice is the lighter weight. Giving it a little waggle, that lighter weight does not seem to translate to a "whippy" feeling, that I know a lot of people fear. The club has a smaller profile than a good bit of drivers currently on the market, but offers a smooth, sleek look that sets up so well at address. The graphics on the crown of the club are minimal, just off to the edges of the driver head, and a subtle yet effective alignment aide sits dead center of the club.

Looking at the face of the driver, the first thing I notices is the face that appears to be a bit shallow than other drivers I have played this year. Coming from a deep faced driver, I had to wonder how the adjustment would be going back to a driver such as this.

Looking down at address, the club is a beauty. The matte blue finish of the Diamana shaft paired with the jetblack head of the Optiforce looks slick.

Time for some pictures;

20130810_134840_zps14b513e8.jpg

20130810_134933_zpsf4995288.jpg

20130810_134916_zps753d121b.jpg

20130810_134953_zpsfc798ff2.jpg

20130810_135003_zps9ae68f5d.jpg

bb5d533e-cbf9-4346-a557-e6c3d140ff5a_zps8ae92f0a.jpg

Wow, that shape reminds me a lot of the 08 Buner Tour and I don't mean that as a bad thing.

This is going to be great to follow! With the recent success on tour (hello Furyk!) I can't wait to see what you guys say about this big stick!

I'm quite interested to see how this one works out and if it actually translates into more distance. I'm not sure I dig the looks, but if it works great then it doesn't really matter.

Tempting. I will be interested if the light weight ness of this driver helps or hurts your fade War.

I'll be very interested to hear about this driver with the Diamana shaft like W.E. is testing. I took one swing with the 440 head and that shaft in a non-working sim, but it really felt nice.

Phenomenal looking driver! Thanks for the feature rundown of this one as I was not aware of what the spec/design intention was.

Also had no idea what the stock shaft was. 62g is in a range I like, not much heavier than the stock R1 shaft.

Looking forward to hearing how this plays for you and others Ryan.

As someone that has alot of the same struggles that you have, I am really looking forward to this Ryan. Good start.

Phenomenal looking driver! Thanks for the feature rundown of this one as I was not aware of what the spec/design intention was.

Also had no idea what the stock shaft was. 62g is in a range I like, not much heavier than the stock R1 shaft.

Looking forward to hearing how this plays for you and others Ryan.
I believe that's the 2nd of the two stock options. The other is lighter in weight and results in a coordinated head, shaft & grip color combo. I love the way that one looks.

my sweet dear Lord, i must hit that beauty.

I know a guy close to you who will have one...

I know a guy close to you that you will see in a few weeks that will have one.

The Optiforce is en route to the tundra of PA and will be here Thursday. I will have pictures and fun stuff hopefully by Thursday night. I can't wait to get this bad boy.

Gotta follow this one closely! I like how the club feels inside golfsmith. Can't wait to see the reviews for it.

Is anyone going to try out the 440cc version?

That thing looks sexy. Great mix of looking both angular and smooth looking. I don't know if it's what they were going for, but the top alignment marker and white lines remind me a bit of wind tunnel smoke.

If they were trying to make a golf club remind someone of a jet fighter, they did it in my book.

Is anyone going to try out the 440cc version?

Not in this forum testing, but there will be a home page review coming out soon.

Not in this forum testing, but there will be a home page review coming out soon.

Looking forward to that review!

I am looking for a new driver and the top of the list includes the Optiforce and the G25. Looking forward to a review.

War Eagle (or others), were the testers given a choice of the shaft that they wanted to test in this driver? Lots of the forum testing in the past has been with stock shafts, whereas War Eagle's driver has the stock shaft for the 440 version, but he's playing the 460 head.

War Eagle (or others), were the testers given a choice of the shaft that they wanted to test in this driver? Lots of the forum testing in the past has been with stock shafts, whereas War Eagle's driver has the stock shaft for the 440 version, but he's playing the 460 head.
The testers were asked to send in shaft flex of choice, and were accommodated as such.

Looking forward to the reviews. If one of you guys can compare it to the Xtreme, that'd be great!

Nice initial thoughts W.E., ill
Wait for testers to start before I add my feedback.

Back