Callaway FT Optiforce Driver Review - Forum Testing

After Chad allowed us to hit his at last year's MC I've been eying these for a while, I was finally able to pick one up, and had my first round with it today, holy cow is this thing long, it has the light weight Project X shaft that I didn't know what to think of, but you really don't think, wow that's light, it was really easy to get some good distance out of it and also work the ball more.

I can't wait to put it through it's paces again tomorrow and hopefully spend some time on the range this week.

It might be a small detail, but the stock grip on it is amazing.

I'll see what settings I decide upon after tinkering a bit, but even at the stock setting I like what I'm seeing.

The one negative I did notice is that the white dots on the face are a bit visible at address for me, it might be an alignment thing for me, but it was noticeable.

So far so good though.
This is my favorite driver, I absolutely love the way it performs..

Glad it's working for you, Kyle!!! That's awesome!!!

After Chad allowed us to hit his at last year's MC I've been eying these for a while, I was finally able to pick one up, and had my first round with it today, holy cow is this thing long, it has the light weight Project X shaft that I didn't know what to think of, but you really don't think, wow that's light, it was really easy to get some good distance out of it and also work the ball more.

I can't wait to put it through it's paces again tomorrow and hopefully spend some time on the range this week.

I'll see what settings I decide upon after tinkering a bit, but even at the stock setting I like what I'm seeing.

The one negative I did notice is that the white dots on the face are a bit visible at address for me, it might be an alignment thing for me, but it was noticeable.

So far so good though.

Awesome Icey. I've been playing the Optiforce all spring and am really happy with the performance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Did you leave it on the stock settings for the entire round Kyle? I'm curious to see what gives you the best results.

Awesome to hear, Kyle. I've heard nothing but good things about that driver and love the optiforce fw I've got. Excited to see how great it is once you get it dialed in.

So far so good though.

Icey,
Glad to hear that the Optiforce is working well for you. I started playing mine back in December and I've been very impressed with the results. Callaway R&D was spot on with this club.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Did you leave it on the stock settings for the entire round Kyle? I'm curious to see what gives you the best results.
Right now it's stock, after tweaking a bit I just didn't see enough of a difference, but I need some more range time!

Still gaming my Optiforce 460. Getting 3-4 mph more ball speed than any other driver I have tried. Went to an outdoor demo day last week and tried most of this year's new drivers. No serious contenders, so looks like Optiforce will stay in my bag again this year. I think the Project X stiff shaft is just a great fit for me.

Wow, just picked up a new 10.5 degree Optiforce driver for $160 shipped on eBay. Was $399 in July 2013.

Wow, just picked up a new 10.5 degree Optiforce driver for $160 shipped on eBay. Was $399 in July 2013.

Very nice. I'm still a big fan of this one, its a hell of a driver IMO.

Amazing value, it's been a great driver for me so far.

It has been a real solid driver especially once I got fitted, however, I wish I would've still had my R1 when I did my fitting in December. With the new shaft, I been getting 235-255 with a slight fade. I am thinking about bumping it up 11.5* see if I can get a little more carry and keep it closer to the fairway. I will game this as long as a Betha deal doesn't pop up somewhere.

Count me among the guys who is STILL playing the Optiforce. I just switched from the 460 to the 440 because I got one for $139 on Ebay and for some reason the 9.5 440 hits the ball a little lower and with a baby draw when set to +1, D, whereas the 10.5 460 fights a fade that can balloon when set to -1, D with lead tape on the heel. I have two fitted Fujikura shafts that I swap between the two Opti heads and I'm going to try out a Motore F1 and see what that does. But other than that the two Opti's feel very similar to each other and I've yet to detect a forgiveness gap between them.

When I say that I'm STILL playing the Opti, I'm stating that not only did it beat all the 2013 drivers I tried, but it has also beat all the 2014 contenders as well. It had no problem trouncing both the Big Berthas (much to my shock and awe). I had high hopes for the BB's, but compared to the Opti's their faces felt stiff and dead and much less forgiving. I don't regret dumping either club. It also beat the Jetspeed, but not by much. I was surprised that I rather liked that driver. The Cobra Biocell didn't put up much of a fight, neither did the Covert 2.0. I've still got to try the Adams, the Ping i25, and I think I'll go back and try a SLDR 12 or 14 to see if maybe I can get that freight train airborne this time. I couldn't do a thing with a 10.5 SLDR dialed all the way up.

I also have to say that the 440 head is probably the most classically simple and pretty head of any driver I've tried lately. It has no crown marks whatsoever and while its black-on-black face and crown naturally set up a bit more closed-looking than the 460, that "closed" is probably just square because the results are straighter. I also find that what seems to be a low shot with the 440 rolls out far more than what I think should be a correct "mid" trajectory.

Last edited:
I recently fell back in love with mine after a few shaft combos. Heading to the range this weekend to test it out again.

I recently fell back in love with mine after a few shaft combos. Heading to the range this weekend to test it out again.
Oh no! Already ditching that new low spin bomber?

Picked one up today in the clearance bin at the local shop. They only had a couple left... At ebay prices. I can't wait to try it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh no! Already ditching that new low spin bomber?

Not yet......gonna head out to the club on Sunday morning (weather permitting) and put 'em through a good pace to get a solid idea on what I want to do. But the Optiforce might be back again for a little while.

Sorry for the skim buddy, what shafts have you used in it?

My ebay seller sent me the new 10.5 degree regular with a stiff (PXv6) shaft. I have too slow of a swing speed (87mph) to game stiff so he is sending me a Diamiana 62+ x5ct regular shaft as a replacement. He says it it is a good/better shaft than the Project X. Anyone have experience with both shafts to determine the differences?

I'm not a fan of any Project X graphite shaft for woods due to their generally higher-than-the-competition torque ratings. They no longer even list their torque rathings on the website, merely stating "mid", because (IMO) they don't stack up so well against the competition. the PXV 6 is probably around 4.0 to 4.5. With your SS you shouldn't be playing stiff in any event. That said the Diamana 62 + in Regular is a torquey beast as well, rated at 5.4 and probably higher. To me it felt a little stiffer than other regulars. I like the Diamana a bit better than the PXV but it's all so subjective you'll just have to try them.

Lots of success today with my Optiforce driver and 3w. Really enjoying the top of my bag right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I'm not a fan of any Project X graphite shaft for woods due to their generally higher-than-the-competition torque ratings. They no longer even list their torque rathings on the website, merely stating "mid", because (IMO) they don't stack up so well against the competition. the PXV 6 is probably around 4.0 to 4.5. With your SS you shouldn't be playing stiff in any event. That said the Diamana 62 + in Regular is a torquey beast as well, rated at 5.4 and probably higher. To me it felt a little stiffer than other regulars. I like the Diamana a bit better than the PXV but it's all so subjective you'll just have to try them.

Thanks. Higher torque could mean wider dispersion?

Optiforce is back in the bag. Think I found a good combo here.

Thanks. Higher torque could mean wider dispersion?

that's generally correct. Greater potential for dispersion as torque equals rotational twisting off of square. How much a club twists depends on how you load it, but nearly all Graphite shafts twist much more than steel (which have torque ratings around 1.5) Some high end graphite like Aerotech manage to tame their torque below 2.0, but you're doing very well most times if you can find torque ratings in 2.7 to 3.5. Almost all S and X shafts have lower torque than their R siblings because they possess more layers of carbon fiber to produce greater stiffness and this reduces twisting.

Back