Callaway Golf Performance Center Fitting… Fantastic!

70sSanO

Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
I just got back from a trip to the Callaway Golf Performance Center in Carlsbad. This was the first time I have gotten fit for clubs and it was a fantastic experience!

I was looking to upgrade from my Wilson Ci7 irons I had been using for a number of years. I made the appointment 6 weeks ago and that gave me a lot of time to try out a lot of different irons so that by the time I got there I had some idea what would fit my game.

I have never been a long hitter and after partially tearing a couple of my rotator cuff tendons mountain biking, I had lost even more length. The injury has resulted in an abbreviated backswing. Add to that my age of 64 years and my quest was centered around finding higher launching easy to hit irons.

My fitter was Amy who spent a lot of time going over the whole process and the numbers. I hit a number of irons and shaft combinations and lengths and compared the data as I went along. I wasn’t really looking to replace my driver but we also ran numbers between my G30 driver and the Callaway BB and XR16 drivers. There wasn’t really an improvement to warrant a switch, plus I am still working out a lot of swing kinks on my long game.

In the end I ordered a set of XR-OS irons with Project X graphite shafts (-1/2”) in 5i-SW. I could not be happier and I want to thank everyone who continually posts about the virtues of getting fit. I know that sometimes it takes a lot of those posts to finally sink in, but… thank you!

As for the numbers… while I admit that there have been advances in technology, I have pretty much felt that most of the distance improvements were the direct result of de-lofting clubs and lengthening lighter shafts. But I can say for a fact that I was wrong.

I know these numbers are pretty paltry for a lot of you, but for my shortened swing and dinged shoulder, I was quite pleased:

Wilson Ci7 32* 7 iron at about 70mph club head speed gave me less than 130 yard carry.
Callaway XR-OS 31.5* 7 iron at 73mph club head speed gave me almost 145 yard carry. The Callaway shaft was probably about 20 grams lighter, but it was also 3/4” inch shorter than the Ci7 and the lofts were nearly identical. Some improvement has to be credited to properly fit clubs.

A trip to Phil’s BBQ afterwards capped the end of a perfect day.

John

Good writeup. Glad you enjoyed it.

Great write up!

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Very Nice. Sounds like you had a great example of getting the most put of a fitting. Congrats.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I did this about 10 years ago, it was so much fun!! They do an incredible job!! I was really tired when we were done! Must have hit 200 balls but they leave nothing to chance!!

Glad you had a good time and found something that works for you. It's really fun to see how a professional can analyze the data and make some tweaks in equipment and you see immediate improvement. Good luck with your new sticks

Sounds like it went very well for you. That place is something else!

Glad it was a good experience for you! Getting properly fit is awesome

Good to see the smile on your face and sounds like better golfing ahead of you.

Great write up! Can't go wrong with a proper fitting and improvement from doing so. Enjoy the new clubs!

That's awesome you were able to pick up 15 yards with your fitting. A 145 yard seven iron is nothing to sneeze at.

Sounds like a great experience.

I'm glad you took the plunge and went all out with the fitting!

Thanks for posting. Sounds like a great experience and a productive one too.

Awesome, I have thought about flying down for a day to hit that up, but think I will wait a while.

Thanks for sharing and glad you found a serious upgrade on your current sticks.

Sounds like an awesome and beneficial experience. I can see a fitting in my future. 145 for your 7i seems awesome to me. I am 16 yrs your junior with no shoulder injuries and can only get 150 ave with a 5i.

Glad it was a good experience for you! Getting properly fit is awesome
You know the most interesting part , and I should have added it earlier, they said the clubs I had fit me better than anything that they had to offer even though they weren't Callaway's. Integrity is something you can't buy! Hard to find a better company!

You know the most interesting part , and I should have added it earlier, they said the clubs I had fit me better than anything that they had to offer even though they weren't Callaway's. Integrity is something you can't buy! Hard to find a better company!

I was also told that on my driver. Basically she said an upgrade would not be recommended over my Ping because the numbers didn't warrant it. Amy was really concerned that I had the best clubs for me and wasn't just pushing for a sale. It was really refreshing.

John

Edit: I want to add that my wife went with me to the fitting to give me moral support. Made the day even better... and the outlet mall is only a couple miles away so it was rewarding for both of us.

Sounds like a great experience. I would love to go to a fitting center and experience a process like this. I believe I spend a lot of effort adapting to clubs I have rather than using clubs that work for me. The other thing here is that Callaway as a brand has elevated up for me over the past year. They appear to have a great team and genuine interest in connecting with real-world amateur golfers in many ways. Color me impressed.

Back