Callaway Graphite Irons (Best metal for club head?)

chris311fan

Reaction score
Handicap
WIP
I'm relatively new to golf (5 months) and I had never been fitted before. I picked up my Steel stiff flex XR 16 irons on Black Friday last year. After getting a fitting from my instructor, I need to go down to a regular flex and switch my irons to graphite for a lighter shaft weight. I am a huge Callaway fan, but would like to move away from the Steel Alloy style club heads, and get a little more quality if i'm going to also invest in graphite. Other than X-Forged, is there any new Callaway tech I can look into to upgrade those aspects? Money is not an issue, even if I could go through Callaway Customs that'd be neat. wanted to get some THP feedback on this if possible.

Thanks!

-Chris

I'm relatively new to golf (5 months) and I had never been fitted before. I picked up my Steel stiff flex XR 16 irons on Black Friday last year. After getting a fitting from my instructor, I need to go down to a regular flex and switch my irons to graphite for a lighter shaft weight. I am a huge Callaway fan, but would like to move away from the Steel Alloy style club heads, and get a little more quality if i'm going to also invest in graphite. Other than X-Forged, is there any new Callaway tech I can look into to upgrade those aspects? Money is not an issue, even if I could go through Callaway Customs that'd be neat. wanted to get some THP feedback on this if possible.

Thanks!

-Chris

All iron heads I'm aware of use either stainless steel or carbon steel as the base material. They may add rubber/polymer for improved feel. Did you hit anything with graphite in regular flex to try and see how you like it? If not, I'd recommend to do that first.

Dave

All iron heads I'm aware of use either stainless steel or carbon steel as the base material. They may add rubber/polymer for improved feel. Did you hit anything with graphite in regular flex to try and see how you like it? If not, I'd recommend to do that first.

Dave
Thanks for the response dave! Yep. I've hit Mizuno (all P900 Variants) in graphite regular. Some forged one alloy. Only variant I didnt hit was the Tour blade. I also hit a few cast Callaway heads (Rogue) and liked it much better. But the graphite was a big help for me and my low swing speed (61 mph)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’d look at the rogue X line up. Assuming you want to stay with Callaway.

They have a good deal going. 150% trade in til may 1. So they will give me 405 for my xr irons and hybrids. Which is 275 more than my home course. Lol

But yeah I absolutely wanna stay with Callaway. I'll check out the X. Thanks

Thanks for the response dave! Yep. I've hit Mizuno (all P900 Variants) in graphite regular. Some forged one alloy. Only variant I didnt hit was the Tour blade. I also hit a few cast Callaway heads (Rogue) and liked it much better. But the graphite was a big help for me and my low swing speed (61 mph)

The stock stiff steel shafts in your XRs don't sound like a good fit, going graphite sounds like a good move!

Dave

I play the Big Bertha OS and they work well for me. Hollow body design so its a bit different than the Rogue X. I made the switch to graphite since I have rheumatoid arthritis and have the Recoil 760 in them. I love them and they pretty UST Recoils pretty much set the standard for graphite shafts.

I play the Big Bertha OS and they work well for me. Hollow body design so its a bit different than the Rogue X. I made the switch to graphite since I have rheumatoid arthritis and have the Recoil 760 in them. I love them and they pretty UST Recoils pretty much set the standard for graphite shafts.
Was looking into UST Recoil as the shaft.Thanks!

Back