Callaway HEX Black and Chrome balls

Been playing the Black for about two months now and have been very impressed. Finally put one in the drink today after 2.5 rounds, so durability isn't an issue. They are as long as anything else I hit, I really like the feel around the green, and they have plenty of spin off irons and around the green.

I don't know that they are markedly better than Pro V1s, but they are just as good for me and I like being different than the guys I play with...

Tapped (probably poorly) on my Transformer Prime

Played the chromes again today and still love them.

just bought a dozen on the bay. Can't wait to have these as a gamer.

For those that have compared the Chrome vs the Black; Isn't the Chrome supposed to reduce spin off the tee and supposedly people aren't seeing that?

So everyone said but I didn't see it. For me the Black had just as much sidespin off the tee as the Chrome, and the Chrome at no point has ever felt uncontrollable from the tee. I hit it just as straight as any ball off the tee, and my last three rounds I have a 75% fairway percentage from the tee - the results speak for themselves for me. I've also hit more GIR in the last few rounds (used to average around 3-4 and have hit 6-7 lately). The Chrome - for me - feels softer, flies farther for all clubs, stops better on the greens, feels better putting, and is in no way more likely to fly off target than any other ball. I see less tee-shot sidespin from the Chrome than from the Z-Star, for instance.

Try them both.

Does anyone have a sleeve of Blacks they would trade for a sleeve of Chromes :)

This was my big reason for choosing the Black. I think I may have been over-compressing it because at times it would feel like a marshmallow off the driver. If everything was equal I would've gone with the Chromes because the only thing I think they have over the Blacks is feel on chips and putting for some reason.

The Chrome is the "spinnier" of the 2 balls, if you have issues with sidespin, then the Chrome could amplify that.

The Chrome is a lower compression ball therefore easier to spin for somepeople.

For me, I have no problem compressing the Blacks and get plenty of spin..as far as distance, the difference to me is neglible...it was the extra side spin with the Chrome that led me to the Black.

I played a black for the first time Saturday morning and shot a new personal best of 73. I'm not saying it was the ball, but it sure didn't hurt. Nothing in particular stood out for me in the performance of the ball. Spin was good, little to no roll on approaches, flew well in the wind and my distance was right around where I'd be normally. The feel off each club was perfect IMO, not harsh, not soft, just perfect. I'd definitely give this ball a shot despite never been fond of any Callaway product. Too bad I just purchased 6 dozen of my regular gamer the Srixon Z-Star X. Callaway definitely has a winner with this ball, it may just make have an extra look at Callaway when I'm up for new gear!

I picked up a dozen of the Yellow Hex Chrome balls and have been pleasantly surprised by their performance.
Def. worth a try for anyone that has never considered playing a Callaway Ball.

I want the Blacks to get the Yellow treatment as well

I picked up a dozen of the Yellow Hex Chrome balls and have been pleasantly surprised by their performance.
Def. worth a try for anyone that has never considered playing a Callaway Ball.

You are using these in the MC right?

I have a few sleeves, PM me.
I am WE, I think I'm the only Callaway staffer that went with the Chromes which is surprising.

I am WE, I think I'm the only Callaway staffer that went with the Chromes which is surprising.
I am a bit surprised by that, as well.

Does anyone have a sleeve of Blacks they would trade for a sleeve of Chromes :)

I would, but how much does it cost to mail 3 golf balls?

Yeah I love the chromes. Excited to get a constant gamer in play for once. Just love the feel of them. Have not tries the blacks but I'd durability is the main difference between the two, that's okay as I tend to lose one or two a round

Yeah I love the chromes. Excited to get a constant gamer in play for once. Just love the feel of them. Have not tries the blacks but I'd durability is the main difference between the two, that's okay as I tend to lose one or two a round
They are both durable as they have the same cover.

I started with the Hex Chrome and moved to the Black. Chrome, IMO, is just slightly softer and designed for a bit lower swing speed. The Black performs extremely well for me in the wind with low driver and 3 wood spin but it just eats greens with my wedges. I haven't had any durability issues at all.

Love this ball and it's cool that you can order them personalized from the Callaway website.

For those that have compared the Chrome vs the Black; Isn't the Chrome supposed to reduce spin off the tee and supposedly people aren't seeing that?

I'm seeing the opposite. I seem to get a little more spin off the tee with the Chrome

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
I am seeing the same thing. I went with the Black for The Morgan Cup.

Well... Darn. I guess I ordered the wrong ball. Not that I have an issue with slicing off the tee, but I guess i'll just have to see what happens.
I think it's an individual thing. Coolbreeze likes the Chromes better. May as well try them both out. If you like the Chromes better, the good thing is they are cheaper!

They are both durable as they have the same cover.

That is what I understood as well. I said that in reference to the general consensus of people saying that in this thread. For the price point and minor differences, going with the chrome no questions asked.

Some people think the chrome has more spin off the tee, but I just don't see that. Maybe I'm a lower spin player, or maybe I'm just not slicing the ball like these other guys.:alien:

Thanks to WE, I'll be able to try both out. I'm not a slicer (anymore at least, a reformed slicer) so we'll see.

I won a dozen of the hex black and really got good distance as well as lots of spin on my wedges. Granted only one round so far.

Played a dozen of the chrome this spring and enjoyed the feel around the green but they seemed to spin too much off the driver for me. I liked the ball and would play them again but for me the black seem to fit me better all around.

Love this ball and it's cool that you can order them personalized from the Callaway website.

Personalizing golf balls = showing strangers how poorly I drive the ball.

Personalizing golf balls = showing strangers how poorly I drive the ball.

I put a shamrock on mine

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Back