Callaway HEX Black and Chrome balls

I really liked the chrome yellows last time I played them. I am going to buy a box of them I decided :S. Last time just bought a sleeve

I have reaffirmed that I play the Black better than the Chrome, but its a really close call. I picked up a dozen Yellow Chromes just to see what I though. The Yellow is VERY visible, and I do wish they would sell the Black in yellow. I shot some great rounds with the Chrome, and I was really thinking I might switch to that ball full time. Then, this past week I switched back over to Black, and I think the experiment is over. I don't notice any difference off the tee with these balls, but the Black just fits my short game better. For whatever I reason -- whether it is spin, softness, or just my own confidence in the ball -- it checks up for me on the green on a wide variety of shots, while the Chrome gives me mixed results. I did hit the Black further off the tee on average, but its possible I was just putting a better swing on the driver this past week.

Anyway, two great balls, but the Black is better for me.

I shot a front nine 42 with the Chrome on a tight not very forgiving course so I cant complain too much. While I didnt see awesome distance off the tee the Chrome sure did perform well into the greens. And around and on the greens I had no complaints either.

I shot a front nine 42 with the Chrome on a tight not very forgiving course so I cant complain too much. While I didnt see awesome distance off the tee the Chrome sure did perform well into the greens. And around and on the greens I had no complaints either.

I am with you these thoughts, Kmac. Is the Chrome the longest ball? Probably not but I don't think I would say it causes me to lose any distance either. The performance I get out of this ball when hitting to a green is unbeatable.

Tried the yellow chromes the other day because I like how easy they are to see/find, but struggled off the tee so I'm back to the blacks. The chromes were sliding all over the place in the air and I couldn't keep them in the fairway. They seem to be knocked around more by the wind, but I'm not positive on that. Actually used a black on the last few holes to make sure my swing wasn't just totally off that day and yep, blacks were flying a lot straighter. They spin a little less around the greens, but I'll live with that. Wish they made the black in yellow...maybe next year?

Another full round with the Chromes. Still haven't been able to find a sleeve of Blacks to compare against. Will keep looking. Maybe next weekend the course I play will have a sleeve...

Hit 10/14 fw and a season high 7 GIR today. Shot an 83 with three 3-putts and two double bogeys. My fault, not the balls. Still zero issues with sidespin off the tee, etc. If I hit it well I get a good result. Getting more distance on all clubs consistently.

And here's the ball mark from a 6 iron into a breeze from 150 on a par 3 - backed up an inch. Before I switched to the Chromes this ball would have released at least 6-10 feet or more. Today? Dead stop with a 15 foot look for birdie (came up short on the putt !@#$!#@). These balls have really changed my game almost completely - now I can go at pins and hold greens instead of having to play for a big roll out, etc.

7503440776_9825704caa.jpg

This might be more of a general tour ball question vs one specifically for the Cally balls.
But does anyone find the tour balls more accurate than say an all around or distance ball?

Reason I ask is, I played in a scramble last week so I was able to place the ball on approaches.
My normal ball is the Wilson Duo which I played off the tee.
I then decided to break out a free sleeve of Hex Black's that came with my Razr Fit driver for my approaches and par 3's.

It was the first time ever with playing my new irons so I don't know if it was the irons or the ball but my accuracy seemed to improve dramatically on my short iron play.

Another full round with the Chromes. Still haven't been able to find a sleeve of Blacks to compare against. Will keep looking. Maybe next weekend the course I play will have a sleeve...

Hit 10/14 fw and a season high 7 GIR today. Shot an 83 with three 3-putts and two double bogeys. My fault, not the balls. Still zero issues with sidespin off the tee, etc. If I hit it well I get a good result. Getting more distance on all clubs consistently.

And here's the ball mark from a 6 iron into a breeze from 150 on a par 3 - backed up an inch. Before I switched to the Chromes this ball would have released at least 6-10 feet or more. Today? Dead stop with a 15 foot look for birdie (came up short on the putt !@#$!#@). These balls have really changed my game almost completely - now I can go at pins and hold greens instead of having to play for a big roll out, etc.

Curious, what ball were you playing with before?

Another round with the Hex Black Tour...and it just reaffirmed that this is the ball for me....Hit 9 of 13 Fairways, 9 GIR which is high for me, 28 putts, 2 birdies,,,,just a good solid day on the course and all that allowed me to break 80 for the 4th time ever with a 38/41=79

This ball just fits my game really well.

Another round with the Hex Black Tour...and it just reaffirmed that this is the ball for me....Hit 9 of 13 Fairways, 9 GIR which is high for me, 28 putts, 2 birdies,,,,just a good solid day on the course and all that allowed me to break 80 for the 4th time ever with a 38/41=79

Nice! Congrats TBT. I got my first round in with the HEX Black yesterday. I really liked it and look forward to playing it some more. I was very happy with the Chrome and then started to notice that it was spinning off the driver pretty significantly. The Black was much better in that respect and still had some dang good spin into greens.

Played today with the same Black for all 18. Ball is still in great shape. Usually just a hop and stop on most approaches, had 3 back up today with 8 & 9 irons from the 140 -160 out area (with and against a strong wind).
A fun ball to play when hitting well.

Found and played the Hex Chrome today and was very surprised to find it as a great ball. It had very good spin greenside which is something I look for in a ball. And even after a full round the ball is good enough for another round which is good as well. Nothing but smiles today from me out on the course.

Anyone have any idea why Cally isn't releasing the Black in yellow yet (or at all)?

Makes no sense to me.

Just tap it in, just tap it in. Give it a little tap tap tappy. Tap tap tap-a-roo via Tapatalk.

Nice! Congrats TBT. I got my first round in with the HEX Black yesterday. I really liked it and look forward to playing it some more. I was very happy with the Chrome and then started to notice that it was spinning off the driver pretty significantly. The Black was much better in that respect and still had some dang good spin into greens.

That has been my experience too....I tend to hit the Blacks a little straighter and still have plenty of greenside spin too.

Going to be playing my second round with the Blacks tomorrow. I played a few rounds using a Chrome and I did not like it much but to be fair I was playing terribly as well. I played the is and iz last year, along with the bridgestones, we will see how I fair with the black tomorrow.

With my Callaway custom fitting, they gave me some Hex Blacks for free. I have used them for 3 rounds now, and am still on the same sleeve of balls. They are holding up great, give me plenty of bite on the greens, and am straight all day long off the tee box.

DL

Had another round with the Black and I just can't fault this ball. I thought the Penta3 was the winner this season, but the Black just keeps coming back and performing for me. It feels a little more 'solid' off the longer clubs than the Penta to me, but dang does it not seem to fly a lot straighter? I just seem to see less sidespin off the driver with the Black. The Penta3 might be 5 yards longer, but I can't confirm that. Greenside I'm seeing enough spin from both.

Same here TBT... it has taken on all comers, and KO'd them all. Just a great ball - and this from a guy who isn't a Callaway fan!

Same here TBT... it has taken on all comers, and KO'd them all. Just a great ball - and this from a guy who isn't a Callaway fan!

I've heard more than one person say the best thing in the Callaway lineup are the balls.

With my Callaway custom fitting, they gave me some Hex Blacks for free. I have used them for 3 rounds now, and am still on the same sleeve of balls. They are holding up great, give me plenty of bite on the greens, and am straight all day long off the tee box.

DL
Curious as to what your SS is?

Curious as to what your SS is?

Driver SS is 118, irons/wedges SS is 107

Dan

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using tapatalk 2

Trying the Black tomorrow against the Bridgestone B330S and RXS. I gave it a few hits this arvo at the range and already find it longer and straighter even though it is rated for a faster SS than mine. I cant wait to see how it performs around the green with the wedges as this has been my achilles heel of late.

I dig both balls and mainly play the Chrome since it's cheaper and do not see much of a difference between the 2. One thing that bugs me about both the balls is the cracks along the hex dimples. This has happened to every Hex ball I have played so far and Callaway doesn't really have an answer about it. Anyone else having the same issues? I have attatched a pic showing the cracks which always happen under the logo.
photo-2.jpg

I dig both balls and mainly play the Chrome since it's cheaper and do not see much of a difference between the 2. One thing that bugs me about both the balls is the cracks along the hex dimples. This has happened to every Hex ball I have played so far and Callaway doesn't really have an answer about it. Anyone else having the same issues? I have attatched a pic showing the cracks which always happen under the logo.
photo-2.jpg
I agree with you about the cracks, its very strange but doesn't seem to affect playability in any way, but if you game one of these balls for more than 3 holes, you get these all over the balls. I'm still a big fan of the Chrome ball and will be playing it in the Morgan Cup this year.

I agree with you about the cracks, its very strange but doesn't seem to affect playability in any way, but if you game one of these balls for more than 3 holes, you get these all over the balls. I'm still a big fan of the Chrome ball and will be playing it in the Morgan Cup this year.

My only concern would be having dirt get in the cracks over time and it affecting playability. I did send some back to Callaway and got them replaced, but they did not say much about why it was happening. Yep, love them Chromes.

Back