Callaway HEX Chrome+ Golf Ball Review Thread

GolferGal

Chick Norris
Boss Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
The first THP Invitational of 2013 in Dallas, TX was sponsored by Callaway Golf, and the lucky participants of this event had a chance to try the brand new Callaway Golf HEX Chrome+ golf balls before anyone else even knew about them. This thread is for those golfers, along with anyone else who tries these golf balls to share their thoughts and feedback.

For additional information on the golf balls you can see the THP preview on our homepage here.

http://bit.ly/11eKOhN

Last edited by a moderator:
THPers were the 1st consumers to test the ball and each person at the Texas Invitational got a dozen of them. Looking forward to their reviews.

I didnt see it listed on the home page but is there an MSRP on these yet?

Also, how can you not think it is amazing that THPers were the FIRST consumers to test this ball????????

Hopefully, I can get a round in with them this weekend. The couple I hit Saturday were pretty nice but alas, they don't float or have a GPS to find them in the woods.

Loved last years so excited to see how these play. Yellow!!

Played a few different Callaway balls in the past and quite liked them, so I will be keeping an eye on this thread

I didn't realize Woodland had this ball in the bag. The bit of information I heard about this ball has me on a big time ponder and can't wait to hear the initial reviews leak in from those who got a chance to play it.

I will have a review with some more pictures, but wanted to get some initial thoughts down. A little bit about me: I never used to play a ball exclusively, in fact I still don't just play one single ball. I like to play a ball around 20-30 dollars a dozen, with little driver spin and decent greenside spin. I currently have 2013 Q-Stars and 2013 Top Flite Gamer V2 Tours in my bag right now, and those are the two I planned on using this season... Key word Planned.

When we got to the THP Invitational sponsored by Callaway and were given the "Secret Dozen" Harry told us not to talk about them unless we had something good to say, (jokingly of course), but honestly I quite like these. I didn't put them in play on my invitational round on Saturday because I figured most would be, but I did get 18 full holes on Sunday with them.

I had never gamed a Callaway ball long term. I have played the Hex Chrome a couple of time, but never for more than a few rounds. The Hex Chrome+ is a 4 piece ball, something I dont play very often. It is supposed to play long with less spin off the driver, and still provide some good feel and spin around the green. I found this to be the case on the 18 holes I used it.

My thoughts (I will be able to provide more but through 18 holes)

Distance: These things are long. I think they are longer than the Q-Stars for me, but they do this without feeling hard.

Driver Spin: The driver spin is minimal Reminds me of the Q-Star in the fact that it isn't high spin off the driver. I cannot play a ball like the Pro V1 because of the sidespin I create on the driver, and I didnt have much trouble with this one off the driver at all.

Iron Feel: The ball feels a bit softer off the irons. I liked the ball flight I got, it was a high ball flight which wasn't neccesarily ideal in the Texas wind, but here in Kansas City it will play very nicely for me

Short Iron Spin: This ball spins like you would expect with a 4 piece. I had this ball back up a couple of times on approach shots, but even on a hybrid shot I had into the green it hit and had very minimal roll out. I enjoyed the spin off the short irons

Greenside Spin: I think this is where this ball shined for me. It had much less rollout then my 2 typical gamers, which took me a couple of holes to get used to. I am used to usually seeing a couple of bounces and some rollout, but with this ball it was 2 hops and an almost abrupt stop.

Feel off the putter: This ball feels good off the putter. It isnt clicky, but instead for me rolls pretty soft and true.

Durability: I used one of these for the last 6 holes and it looked almost like I had just pulled it out of the sleeve. The new DuraSpin Cover is supposed to be both soft and durable, and that is what I have found.

I still have 10 of these left, and cannot wait to get them out on the course again. If they continue to perform like this I could easily see them becoming a full time gamer for me. I think Callaway really hit a homerun with these balls.

Like I said this is in my limited testing, but I will be sure to post more thoughts as I continue to game them.

I assume that the naming scheme means that there will be a Hex Black+ coming later this year as well?

Thanks Texas! I'm really looking forward to trying them.

I played the new Chrome Plus in the Texas Invitational. The MSRP on these are supposed to be $35.99 I believe.

The first round on Friday I played the Bridgestone E6 and shot 108, for the tourney I played the Chrome Plus and shot 93, here are just a few thoughts since I haven't gotten to play since then.
It was either my swing or the ball, but the Chrome+ went allot straighter and felt a bit softer off the driver for me. It's distance was about the same as the E6 if not a tad longer. It was very hard to tell with 25-30mph winds.

Hitting my hybrids:into the greens is where I saw a huge difference. This ball plain sticks the greens with very little roll out. Again it felt soft off the hybrids.

Irons: this was interesting as it felt a little harder to me but I wasn't hitting my irons pure but still held the greens very well.
Wedge: OMG this thing was sticking hard I am used to 6 feet of roll out and these just didn't do that at all.
Putter: Very soft off the putter.

Durability! Wow this is where I was impressed. My 54 wedge eats balls alive and I used 1 ball for the entire round and it did not even have a scuff mark,no gills,nada!

Conclusion: This is the ball I will play from now on. It holds the greens without a ton of spin off the driver and that's what I need. I will be hitting the local course this weekend to confirm my findings with the wedge spin.

I assume that the naming scheme means that there will be a Hex Black+ coming later this year as well?

They didnt mention that to us Ary, but I wouldn't be surprised at all

Loved the Black last year and this one has some similar language surrounding it, i.e. spin separation. Will definitely be picking up a sleeve to try out.

It was unmentioned, but I should say I do not believe these are taking the place of the Chromes, but rather complimenting the line.

Can't wait to read the other thoughts on these! Sounds like a great ball!

I cannot wait to see if durability holds up. It seemed to be a big point on these balls, and my early thoughts are great. For the price if these are durable I could see them as my full time gamer for sure

This is amazing, I can't wait to hear what you all think!

I will have a review with some more pictures, but wanted to get some initial thoughts down. A little bit about me: I never used to play a ball exclusively, in fact I still don't just play one single ball. I like to play a ball around 20-30 dollars a dozen, with little driver spin and decent greenside spin. I currently have 2013 Q-Stars and 2013 Top Flite Gamer V2 Tours in my bag right now, and those are the two I planned on using this season... Key word Planned.

When we got to the THP Invitational sponsored by Callaway and were given the "Secret Dozen" Harry told us not to talk about them unless we had something good to say, (jokingly of course), but honestly I quite like these. I didn't put them in play on my invitational round on Saturday because I figured most would be, but I did get 18 full holes on Sunday with them.

I had never gamed a Callaway ball long term. I have played the Hex Chrome a couple of time, but never for more than a few rounds. The Hex Chrome+ is a 4 piece ball, something I dont play very often. It is supposed to play long with less spin off the driver, and still provide some good feel and spin around the green. I found this to be the case on the 18 holes I used it.

My thoughts (I will be able to provide more but through 18 holes)

Distance: These things are long. I think they are longer than the Q-Stars for me, but they do this without feeling hard.

Driver Spin: The driver spin is minimal Reminds me of the Q-Star in the fact that it isn't high spin off the driver. I cannot play a ball like the Pro V1 because of the sidespin I create on the driver, and I didnt have much trouble with this one off the driver at all.

Iron Feel: The ball feels a bit softer off the irons. I liked the ball flight I got, it was a high ball flight which wasn't neccesarily ideal in the Texas wind, but here in Kansas City it will play very nicely for me

Short Iron Spin: This ball spins like you would expect with a 4 piece. I had this ball back up a couple of times on approach shots, but even on a hybrid shot I had into the green it hit and had very minimal roll out. I enjoyed the spin off the short irons

Greenside Spin: I think this is where this ball shined for me. It had much less rollout then my 2 typical gamers, which took me a couple of holes to get used to. I am used to usually seeing a couple of bounces and some rollout, but with this ball it was 2 hops and an almost abrupt stop.

Feel off the putter: This ball feels good off the putter. It isnt clicky, but instead for me rolls pretty soft and true.

Durability: I used one of these for the last 6 holes and it looked almost like I had just pulled it out of the sleeve. The new DuraSpin Cover is supposed to be both soft and durable, and that is what I have found.

I still have 10 of these left, and cannot wait to get them out on the course again. If they continue to perform like this I could easily see them becoming a full time gamer for me. I think Callaway really hit a homerun with these balls.

Like I said this is in my limited testing, but I will be sure to post more thoughts as I continue to game them.

Tim,
Great job with the review. I thought the previous model was long but for me lacked the greenside spin I was looking for. You really have me intrigued now, thats for sure.

Tim,
Great job with the review. I thought the previous model was long but for me lacked the greenside spin I was looking for. You really have me intrigued now, thats for sure.

Tim the Toolman Taylor? Wrong guy buddy... Haha

Tim,

Not Tim hehe

Sweet. I've been looking for reviews on this for a few days now. Had to know THP would be at the forefront. Glad to hear it isn't replacing th existing Chrome, which is the best ball for my game I've ever played, but I certainly can't wait to try the Chrome+.

Is the Chrome+ targeted to a differnet player profile than the regular Chrome?

Great feedback so far from those who got a chance to test them at the invitational. Sounds like a great all round ball for a wide variety of golfers.

I thought those were the one's you guys were possibly playing...very interested in your alms thoughts! Great write up TH/Hotled...awesome kick off.

LtEvO TaPpEd

I showed up in Texas with a dozen Hex Blacks to try out and then the boys from Callaway Golf show up with these. Talk about being blown away. It was apparent from the first tee, that the month and a half layoff was doing me no good and I was going to be fighting it most of the day, so I didn't put the Chrome+ into play because I didn't feel like littering the course with these and coming home with none to try here. But, I do know that a couple of the guys I talked to about them were raving about them. Mostly from a spin and durability standpoint. My next time out, I will be playing these and will post my thoughts as well.

This golf ball impressed me to no end in Texas last weekend. You can tell right away just by holding it in your hand that you're dealing with a top notch golf ball. Then actually playing it my expectations were exceeded in every aspect. It's long, it feels soft off the irons, wedges and putter and it is super durable as well which to me is very important of a Tour level golf ball. I played the same ball for 15 holes before losing it on the 16th and it was still in great shape.

Thanks goes out to Callaway Golf for letting us get a sneak peek at the ball, you've got a winner here boys!

Back