Callaway JAWS Full Toe Wedges

Can anyone compare the grind on these vs the Cobra with full face? The way the leading edge looks is very favorable to me as these look really close in offset which I really like.
Sorry, it took me a day or so to get to this. Below, you will see a Cobra Snakebite (full face) 56 degree versatile and a 58 degree Jaws full toe. Given the difference in lofts, they are not an exact apples to apples, but they are close.

I was surprised to see that the grinds are very similar. the Cobra has that notch cut out of the middle in the back, but I would call the versatile grind a “C”-type grind. I think the sole is a tad wider on the Cobra. The toe on the Jaws is more pronounced, but even the faces are not horribly different. The weighting on the Jaws is probably more refined, at least in reading about it seems to me to be so.

I have been very happy with the Snakebite wedges and picked up the Jaws, because I am awaiting a new set of irons and will go with 54 and 58 degree wedges, rather than the 56 and 60 that I have been playing most of the summer. Honestly, if you like the Snakebite, you will like the Jaws Full Toe, imho. However, one could also ask why replicate a wedge that is going to play very similarly.

DB1A3EC7-5C89-4E11-9C8F-DB3CFD8F96B3.jpegEF5F33C2-FE19-447E-9F51-39740A1D44D6.jpegC63E1BAE-E41C-43E7-970C-9C76A597CEDD.jpeg2A46FD49-9024-4579-B0A8-0140DE55554C.jpeg0321F1A2-B259-4F34-A07D-845953292C62.jpeg

How’s the finish for those that went black? I’m seeing some some brushing already, but it’s expected.

The bottom is definitely seeing some character. I also noticed very small rust dots on the bottom (grind area) of the club, which I did not expect and wanted to ask about. I'm a bit meticulous with the club, wiping it down and using the plastic bristles instead of the metal ones to clean the grooves. I don't want the finish coming off! I know this is somewhat counter-intuitive to the raw face, but I'll likely be vain with the club until the rust comes in earnest, or the finish is clearly fading.

From my understanding, only the face is supposed to be raw and rust, not the back/bottom of the club. Thoughts?

Unfortunately, because I am a club ho, I have quite a few wedges.

Unfortunately? It's one of the times I fully endorse hoe-ing (of the clubs, of course)

Sorry, it took me a day or so to get to this. Below, you will see a Cobra Snakebite (full face) 56 degree versatile and a 58 degree Jaws full toe. Given the difference in lofts, they are not an exact apples to apples, but they are close.

I was surprised to see that the grinds are very similar. the Cobra has that notch cut out of the middle in the back, but I would call the versatile grind a “C”-type grind. I think the sole is a tad wider on the Cobra. The toe on the Jaws is more pronounced, but even the faces are not horribly different. The weighting on the Jaws is probably more refined, at least in reading about it seems to me to be so.

I have been very happy with the Snakebite wedges and picked up the Jaws, because I am awaiting a new set of irons and will go with 54 and 58 degree wedges, rather than the 56 and 60 that I have been playing most of the summer. Honestly, if you like the Snakebite, you will like the Jaws Full Toe, imho. However, one could also ask why replicate a wedge that is going to play very similarly.

View attachment 9027275View attachment 9027276View attachment 9027277View attachment 9027278View attachment 9027279

Great comparison and spot on. The snakebite has just a touch more rounded shape while the JFT has the lopsided pear. I hit one of the snakebite wedges out of my buddy's bag because my playing partner took the cart for a joy-ride through the woods and I have to say I really liked it. A very solid feeling club with a definite "thunk". I think the SW was up to D5 on that bad-boy but it gave me the impression that it would bulldoze through any rough or sand without pause.

Sorry for the spam posts but here's the actual update. Day 4 on course with the wedges and I figured out my flop issue. I wasn't using the grind properly 🤦‍♂️. Slightly steeper swing and the ball was flipping up and landing soft within 10-15 feet. Hit a couple really nice flops that were downright impressive but cost me strokes because they were too short and I had to do it again :LOL:. Same concept with the sand. Slightly steeper attack angle and I managed to put on a performance out of a few bunkers. Divot interaction is still minimal with one out of maybe 15 shots I took where I dug enough into the ground to warrant repairing it over a simple pat-down/smooth out.

The grooves on this bad boy are effective and sharp. I shredded a bunch of range balls to the point that I had to scrub surlyn? off the cross-groves before playing my round. I rotated through about 6 different balls yesterday since we had time to kill on a slow round and the JFT bit into almost all of them. The PV1s survived. TP5 was ok too although less than the PV1s. The Chrome Soft, Srixon, and Kirkland took some abuse if I really ripped into the ball and played a shot with intentional extra backspin.

The cons: I find that with full swings it's a bit easier to push right than I'm accustomed to. I'm not seeing the fade I usually account for when swinging full, but rather a straight push. Small adjustments to fix it, but in the moment It cost me 2 birds :(

The Pros- I'm noticing the more I play with this wedge the less I'm partial to the sound and firm feel of the club. Maybe I'm associating the feel and firmness with bite on the ball because it seems to be playing very well and slotting into the bag without issue.

Great comparison and spot on. The snakebite has just a touch more rounded shape while the JFT has the lopsided pear. I hit one of the snakebite wedges out of my buddy's bag because my playing partner took the cart for a joy-ride through the woods and I have to say I really liked it. A very solid feeling club with a definite "thunk". I think the SW was up to D5 on that bad-boy but it gave me the impression that it would bulldoze through any rough or sand without pause.

I looked at a snakebite yesterday for the first time and didn't love the rounded leading edge that much. I prefer the leading edge of the JFT. That is totally personal preference though.

I looked at a snakebite yesterday for the first time and didn't love the rounded leading edge that much. I prefer the leading edge of the JFT. That is totally personal preference though.
I can say I think I prefer the Jaws out of the two, but both are pretty darn good. One note on the King wedges is while the leading edge might appear more rounded, the scallop in the back allows it to sit closer to the ground, thus eliminating some of those fears.

This one on full swings makes me SO happy. Because I wanted SO badly for the original and second version to be that do all wedge I have to have in that spot. I don’t full swing a lob outside testing, but I do hit 3/4’s and the interaction has been excellent.

It’s still more firm than I expected, but it’s not bad.

And man…it SPINS. Good gravy.
I have a feeling these will be replacing both my 54 MD5 and my 58 PM Grind when I need new wedges and I haven't even hit these yet!

I have a feeling these will be replacing both my 54 MD5 and my 58 PM Grind when I need new wedges and I haven't even hit these yet!

I could see replacing my current 54 with a new one. My 54 is bent to 53 I think I would go 52 and bend it to 53 to add to the bounce a bit.

I could see replacing my current 54 with a new one. My 54 is bent to 53 I think I would go 52 and bend it to 53 to add to the bounce a bit.
Not sure if you have looked on the site, but I see picking a grind is not an option...I thought different grinds were available with these.

Not sure if you have looked on the site, but I see picking a grind is not an option...I thought different grinds were available with these.
You are correct. The C grind is the only available grind with this new wedge. However, the PM wedges only had one grind as well and these are a replacement for that wedge.

Only C grinds on these right now. It will be interesting to see if additional grinds get added. They could put different grinds on the JFT where it might have been difficult with the PM grind.

I would love to see an X grind on the JFT.

See the article above.

Have always been interested in the full face wedges since the PM grind was released.
Along with the jaws tech this is a win win. The jaws interests me for the chip shots for sure that extra spin is heaven sent.
This release looks clean too , great design to them

See the article above.

You are correct. The C grind is the only available grind with this new wedge. However, the PM wedges only had one grind as well and these are a replacement for that wedge.

Only C grinds on these right now. It will be interesting to see if additional grinds get added. They could put different grinds on the JFT where it might have been difficult with the PM grind.

I would love to see an X grind on the JFT.

I must have just mid read. C grind is my jam though!

Got these out for another round this weekend at a beach course where I got to play out of bermuda rough, which isn't the norm for me. These wedges continue to impress. I am still getting used to the spin on some of the short game shots. Even out of the rough, I'm not seeing a ton of rollout on pitches. Anything lower still rolls a bit, but off the fairway they check pretty considerably.

Managed to avoid the sand for the round, so no update there. Out of the rough though these were pretty spectacular. Rough more than a few feet off was tall enough that you had to be near on top of it to find it. Other than a couple of user errors I was able to play most of these shots with no issues, which was nice as I'm used to playing from a totally different type of grass.

These continue to perform very similar to my MD5s on fullish swings from a distance. Like @Jman I may be breaking my normal rules a bit, using my 60 where I may normally use a 54, etc. but the results have been great and it's good to know I can trust these to perform in those instances where you need the extra height.

Flops aren't a mainstay for me, but I've been hitting some in the practice area. Not super comfortable with them yet, but these wedges are not hard to elevate in any sense.

Very close to getting this in the 54. It's between this one or the MD5 in the 54. I know the Jaws Full Toe is not an MD5 replacement, just a compliment. But, with my 54, I don't hit full shots. I use it for 3/4 swings and in. Mostly even less than that. I also like to open the face for shots around the green. Just can't hit my 54 PM grind out of the fairway (tight lies) that well, consistency anymore.

For those of you (if any) that have hit both the MD5 and Jaws Full Toe, thoughts or comparisons between them?
Over two rounds, these have been pretty much plug and play for me. Coming off of MD5 54S/60X. I've found the 54 JFT to compare favorably to the MD5 and the 60 is an improvement for me as I use/need the extra grooves and the high toe.

How’s the finish for those that went black? I’m seeing some some brushing already, but it’s expected.

I'll grab some pictures, but over two rounds mine still look pretty darn new.

Over two rounds, these have been pretty much plug and play for me. Coming off of MD5 54S/60X. I've found the 54 JFT to compare favorably to the MD5 and the 60 is an improvement for me as I use/need the extra grooves and the high toe.

Perfect! Great feedback.

This is better than the PM grind, yeah I said it.

Why? It maintains almost all the versatility but now makes it playable from further out without fears. It’s a shape at address that everyone can love, not just it’s mother.

It’s still a little more firm than I expected, but that’s just a me thing, overall it’s a pleasing feedback still.

Spin for days. Easy bunker outs for days. I’m really impressed.

@10islaw @Tenputt @Chef23 @JonD Great reviews so far guys! I am excited about everything I'm hearing. It sounds like a better performing and better looking PM grind!!

Some data sets for you guys on the half swing from a warmup session before 18. You'll notice that the CHS is a smidge faster with my 60* KSig wedge ("Lob Wedge") likely because I'm accustomed to it. TBH, I didn't do much to alter the data here except to remove the two top outlier and the two bottom outliers to normalize.

Things to note:
- 4mph avg accounts cleanly for the difference in distance.
- Take a look at the dispersion in green. Wow.
- Take a look at the Spin RPMs difference-- and that's with 2* less loft. Wow.
- Massive difference in height with similar/same stopping power----1.7y roll on JFT 2.4y on KSig (not displayed)

Attachments

• 9E7C5550-9AB5-478B-B96A-FC90DE45441A.png
    9E7C5550-9AB5-478B-B96A-FC90DE45441A.png
    88.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 04F8AFD0-3936-42AE-BA0E-63D7439E9AE4.png
    04F8AFD0-3936-42AE-BA0E-63D7439E9AE4.png
    78.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 4D47B254-1D20-404F-857F-78F3178BD702.png
    4D47B254-1D20-404F-857F-78F3178BD702.png
    90.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 9035E3AA-6B0E-4550-98F1-42F77FAF3EA3.png
    9035E3AA-6B0E-4550-98F1-42F77FAF3EA3.png
    100.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 6C845FFD-164F-4B98-8C0B-C8136C8031C7.png
    6C845FFD-164F-4B98-8C0B-C8136C8031C7.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 7748ED9E-14DD-4808-AE13-6F0660E8FEE7.png
    7748ED9E-14DD-4808-AE13-6F0660E8FEE7.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Some data sets for you guys on the half swing from a warmup session before 18. You'll notice that the CHS is a smidge faster with my 60* KSig wedge ("Lob Wedge") likely because I'm accustomed to it. TBH, I didn't do much to alter the data here except to remove the two top outlier and the two bottom outliers to normalize.

Things to note:
- 4mph avg accounts cleanly for the difference in distance.
- Take a look at the dispersion in green. Wow.
- Take a look at the Spin RPMs difference-- and that's with 2* less loft. Wow.
- Massive difference in height with similar/same stopping power----1.7y roll on JFT 2.4y on KSig (not displayed)
10 yard roll out on a LOB Wedge would drive me nuts.

Those won’t roll out ten yards coming into a green, given the spin numbers. The launch monitors always show more rollout when hitting onto a range.

The spin on the JFT 58˚ looks considerably higher. I wouldn't obsess over rollout numbers on a sim/monitor with wedges.

Those won’t roll out ten yards coming into a green, given the spin numbers. The launch monitors always show more rollout when hitting onto a range.
The spin on the JFT 58˚ looks considerably higher. I wouldn't obsess over rollout numbers on a sim/monitor with wedges.

1.7y and 2.4y are less than 10 feet. We're talking hop and stop.

I can vouch from personal experience that unless there's a significant slope my wedge shots stop within 5' of their craters. I'd venture to say it's within 10' for anything up to a 7i due to a very steep descent angle. Add the extra RPMs on the JFT and you're looking at a scalpel if you can wield it.

Back