Callaway JAWS Full Toe Wedges

View attachment 9025743
Hit 30-40 ball in and around the practice bunker plus 14 yesterday. Not a pretty face anymore, but the back's still shiny.

Dropped a dozen in the bunker and hit six with my PM 60° then six with the Jaws 60°. The glide thru the sand with the Jaws was just effortless and shocking, making the PM suddenly seem sluggish and heavy. Is the Jaws C-grind that much better from the sand then the U-grind? I think it is, but time will tell.

I then tried a bunch of chips and lobs from the not so friendly Bermuda rough. Square, toe down, toe up flops, it did everything well. The grind, bounce and straighter sole radius seemed just right. A number just checked and stopped from the rough and the same for from the bunker. Even as an average SS player, checking balls around the green is not totally uncommon, but then it dawned on me; this was with a bag of trash 2-piece balls! I don't remember square grooves griping as well. Whatever it is this face is superfly aka like flypaper.

On the course, I left my SW home and hit everything with the Jaws 60°. Not surprisingly, I left a lot of shots short, sometimes just the wrong wedge and a lot to do with not having it dialed in. I hit a number of full shots that I would never use a 60° for, but like in the sand, even fatted shots seemed to glide out easier. So first report in and the bottom line is; the Jaws feels all around friendlier and more like a scalpel then my trusty old battle axe PM Grinds.

Almost forgot that I luv the feel of this wedge. It has an audible click that somehow sounds soft to me. Clicky and soft is an oxymoron, but I'm making that claim, at least for now.

What don't I like? I like to choke down on my wedges and the UTX grip is just too thin at the bottom and much narrower then the PM's MCCs. No worries, I've got a MCC Plus4 donor club for a grip swap.

Nice initial thoughts. I noticed the same thing chipping around in my living room. The grip may have to go once my review period is over. TBD

Ordered a 56* SW on the 26th with no customization...was just checking the estimated shipping date and they have it being shipped out between 1-19 & 1-25...I sure hope that's incorrect.

Looks like I’ll have my review wedge in by weeks end! Can’t wait to help get this thread rocking!

My wedge will be here tomorrow. Can’t wait!

Looking forward to some in depth thoughts of those who’ve got them in hand right now.

How’s the interaction?

Like the address look?

Full swing?

Flight?

Sound/Feel?

Versatility still there?

I've had my finger on the trigger to order a 54° three or four times, but they're projecting 4-6 weeks. Ugh. That kinda takes the "impulse" out of impulse buying.

Last edited:

I've had my finger on the trigger to order a 54° three or four times, but they're projecting 4-6 weeks. Ugh. That kinda takes the "impulse" out of impulse buying.

Have to run some errands down in Orlando with the wife later this week. Was hoping either PGASS or Edwins has the 58 in stock. My impulse buy.

Mine was listed the same way and it turned out to ship out early.

Mine was listed the same way and it turned out to ship out early.

Ditto. My 54˚ & 60˚ are out for delivery now, even going with a non standard shaft. Hoping I'll be able to sneak out and play 9 this afternoon.

Ditto. My 54˚ & 60˚ are out for delivery now, even going with a non standard shaft. Hoping I'll be able to sneak out and play 9 this afternoon.
Got mine already. Going to be a great wedge to work with. Already has that “Rust” Patina on it.

That does bring up the question though. Which one looks better?

View attachment 9024146
I spent a lot of time thinking about which one I prefer, and I've firmly landed on Satin. It almost reminds me of a brushed stainless-like look, which I'm a big fan of.

Really liking how these sit at address to the ball. Much more pleasing to the eye vs the PM model.
I agree! It looks welcoming, but also versatile.

🔥 🔥 🔥 👀

D7FB9CCD-EAA1-4647-AE1B-2BB9863BF553_1_102_o.jpeg

3A853E5B-24DD-430E-8F3B-53BB46CABB5E.jpeg3AF24777-1462-4003-89DD-D84EAA04B8ED.jpegDE873BF2-0D0E-422D-8ECF-CC235ED80459.jpegE83650A5-F1E5-4DFD-8E28-B05DC2112EB6.jpeg2050E69C-08B5-4FAA-A679-B1F381300A19.jpeg40380256-4BB4-4833-971A-1DE1BD8E5505.jpegDFC0932B-5B19-4A96-A86C-6C74B6D64578.jpegE150AA04-8426-49BD-9B5C-EE61185F1680.jpegFAA25BB7-C599-4656-89AD-BC62CB9C1EB6.jpeg

Man that black finish looks so good

These wedges are pretty impressive. I am not the biggest fan of the spinner shaft but that is not a big deal.

The in depth stuff is to come. But I figured I’d give y’all a small teaser.

Attachments

• 4A416511-18EE-44C5-8B74-5DD46F9CE0D3.jpeg
    4A416511-18EE-44C5-8B74-5DD46F9CE0D3.jpeg
    45.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 7F3BC00B-4A30-42E0-A1CE-4C22A8751835.jpeg
    7F3BC00B-4A30-42E0-A1CE-4C22A8751835.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 9D44F2F1-5E41-43D7-AB25-AAC37F4806E8.jpeg
    9D44F2F1-5E41-43D7-AB25-AAC37F4806E8.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 18
These went straight in the bag today. Spent most of my practice round focusing on my tee game for the Velocity review thread, but hit plenty of shots with these too. Early on obviously but so far I'm a fan.

Biggest difference for me was going back to a heavier steel shaft in these, Tour-V 125s, from the 95g graphite shafts I played in my MD5s this season. Other than that, these were pretty much plug and play. I didn't try too many fancy shots today, but the standard stuff I threw at them, these wedges handled with ease. The leading edge and offset closer to the MD5s made longer shots completely approachable for me, which was one of my main issues with the last PM grind. Also on the course I found that the leading edge seemed pretty close to the ground in all the lies I had, which was confidence inspiring.

Performance wise I wasn't disappointed at all either. New grooves and all that, but these suckers put some spin on the ball for sure. I hit a mixture of CS, ProV1 and some surlyn Diablo Tours as I had tons of time and a slow foursome in front of me today. Even on chip shots I saw some good check with the surlyn balls. Fullish shots produced some balls that backed up from fairway lies with the tour balls, or hopping and stopping from the rough. Not a ton of runout. I was even able to back up a surlyn ball a little with the 54˚ from 100 yards. I was intentionally trying to get a little steep on it, and it worked. The other few fullish shots I took with the Diablos were basically hop and stop, which is plenty good for me.

Grind seems to get through the rough pretty easily and I had a couple kick ins. Only had one bunker shot today that I fatted terribly. Still got out, but landed short of the green. That's fully on me though as it was just a terrible effort.

Hoping to get these out in some firmer conditions this weekend so should be interesting to see how it goes but I expect these to be firmly in the bag. Still need to dial in distances, but based on what I saw today these should be pretty similar to what I saw with the MD5s. Didn't get a chance to test out the toe grooves today.

Love the black finish. Used both wedges a bit and no marks/wear that a quick wipe with a wet towel didn't fix. While I'm sure there will be plenty, it's nice that it wasn't immediate.

I'm a UTx fan, but it should be noted that the version Callaway is using on these is not corded. Similar to the blue UTx that originally came on the MD5s IIRC.

CE18A99B-A3DC-4815-BA45-AA4C4D1E5055.jpeg
DDDB9868-706E-4108-B874-4CD0A57EFB80.jpeg

My 54* Full Toe arrived late yesterday so I took it out for a quick test. I am suffering from low back issues, so no full swings for now, but I was able to hit some chips and short pitch shots.

First impression is the appearance is a perfect blend combining a traditional wedge with the confidence inspiring full face grooving that, to me, really shines around the green for creative shots.

The engineering has pushed the weight more from the heel to higher in the toe, which is evidenced by the weight ports being deeper towards the heel as well as the top line getting slightly thicker moving from heel to toe. I will be curious to see if there are perceptible performance differences between this wedge and my other wedges due to this feature.

The feel of the wedge was very pleasant. I’m not one to notice feel too much as long as it doesn’t have the clicky hard feel/sound and this wedge feels great to me.

Chip shots:
From the collar of the green the grind on this wedge glides very easily across the turf. I was working on a downhill chip to a pin about 20’ onto the green where getting aggressive could run the ball off a false front past the pin. Using premium balls, the wedge produced enough spin where I would have to carry the ball further onto the green than I first expected as it would have an immediate check to it before rolling out. I suppose any brand new wedge with new grooves would likely do this, so really can’t say this is going to be higher spin than anything else for that type of shot. I will take some other wedges out and do a comparison over the coming days.

Green side pitches from thick rough:
I was pitching to a slightly uphill pin that was ~10’ onto the green from about 20 yards off the green. I played around with balls sitting in fluffy lies and those buried deeper into the grass where only the very top of the ball was visible. The wedge is not overly big (pretty traditional in size really) and it seemed to get through the rough fine. Where it may shine is for any shot that hit high and towards the toe from this type of lie. I tested that quite often (intentionally of course 😀) and was really impressed with the ability to throw the ball halfway between the front of the green and the pin and still get the ball to stop.

30-40 yard pitch shots from the fairway:
This was about all my back could handle. The practice hole I was hitting to was on a portion of the green that is very shallow from front to back - about 30-40’ total - and the pin was in the middle. There is a big false front so landing the ball at least to the front edge is mandatory or else it will stop short of the green and funnel into a low spot. My trajectory was lower than I would normally see but out of the ten or so shots I got to the green only one ball ended up slightly off the back of the green and I landed that one pin high. Every other ball was at the pin to just short of the pin with an up hill putt. I usually play my wedges 2-3* flat and this one is standard lie, and as a result I was seeing some slight lowish pulls coming off the face, so getting a better lie angle for me may create a higher trajectory. Either way, the stopping power was really good and I really enjoyed the consistency of the grind hitting from this lie. I can get diggy with the wedges at times and this wedge grind seems to fit me perfectly so far.

I will get out for more testing and do some side by side with my TM Hi Toe soon, but fire off any questions or any testing you want to see and I will do what I can - as back pain allows.

Back