GolfFest

#THCE18
Reaction score
Handicap
Time
Bad today with the sand wedge was a 55 yard shot out of the rough that came out really flat and went over the green.

Good was from 25 yards getting it to stop just how I wanted leaving me about 3 inches from the hole.

Mixed results so far, looking forward to getting more time with them.

93civiccpe

2021 Grandaddy Squad #LunaticFringe
Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
For those who ordered them online, what was your turnaround time?

BuffInTheWild

Reaction score
Handicap
For those who ordered them online, what was your turnaround time?
Ordered a 54 and 58 July 22nd - was quoted end of August - shipped on August 3rd.

Mikey D

Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I was one of the lucky winners and gifted a wedge by Callaway and THP. It's been a hectic few weeks with deadlines and long hours at work and then vacation with spotty internet connection, so I'm just now getting back to somewhat normal and finding time to post my thoughts.

Full disclosure, I am a high handicap golfer (24-25) who typically shoots anywhere in the low-mid 90s to low 100s. My goal is to be a consistent bogey golfer. I struggle with my short game and I typically lose a lot of strokes 50 yards in and around the green.

Full disclosure #2 - I am not as well versed in the more technical aspects of golf equipment - bounce, grind, shaft combos, etc - as some others may be. I was fitted for my current set of clubs and trusted the fitter recommend what was the best fit for me.

When the contest first opened up, I researched the different options and decided on a 54 degree W-grind in black. As Callaway's site mentions "Our widest sole for players who need the most help and forgiveness". This is definitely me. I chose a 54 degree because I felt this would give me more opportunities to use, particularly in sand traps and 75 yards and in approach shots. And black - well, because I like to embrace the darkness. :p

My plan was/is to use the new club exclusively in lieu of my current 54 degree (Cleveland CBX) and see if there was any noticeable differences. Since I received the club, I've only been able to play one 9-hole and two 18-hole rounds, so my actual use has been somewhat limited. I do have a round scheduled for Saturday, so more thoughts will be coming.

First impressions out of the box is that I love the black look (wife likes it too). Since it's a stock club, the shaft is a little shorter than my normal clubs. I'm taller at about 6'-3", so my clubs are custom length. I also use mid size grips, but haven't replaced the Jaws Raw stock wedge grip yet (not sure if I will or not).

Had my first opportunity to hit my new wedge on the first hole of the 9-hole round, an approximately 75 yard uphill shot. Don't know if it was getting used to a new club or my typical game where I can't seem to hit multiple good shots in a row, but I skulled the **** out of it. Use it again on the next shot. This one got in the air, but came up short and rolled back down to my feet. Finally made it on the green on my third attempt. Yay me. :D Continued to stick with the club when needed. Had a good approach shot that went about 10 yards further than my usual 54 (front pin location, ball hit middle-back portion of the green). That was my first inclination that the Jaws Raw 54 might be longer for me than my Cleveland CBX. I want to play more to confirm, but subsequent rounds and me hitting one ball into a lake while on vacation leads me to believe this is true (very scientific data there).

As previously mentioned, I struggle with my short game, especially with chips and pitches around the greens. I typically use a PW for a bump and run , but have made a concerted effort to use the new Jaws Raw to see if I can get some good spin and checks. When my technique is good, the club works fantastic. Even when I mis-hit, the mistake isn't usually as drastic as it would have been with my normal club.

I have some catching up to do in this thread. I'll see if there are specific questions I can answer that have already been asked, but feel free to ask away. There are still months left in the golf season up here, so there will be enough opportunity to see if the new wedge improves my game.

Mikey D

Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap

Moose4263

Reaction score
Little update with my wedge. Had my first round and struggled with pitches. Not the wedges fault as i was already struggling with this part of my game anyways. Turns out just really poor technique that has since been fixed. Really enjoying it now. I did have one full shot with it in my round that made all my playing partners eyes pop. Hit a full 54 out of light rough and landed about 25 feet past the pin and spin back 20 feet to settle about 8 feet from the hole.:p

alistaird

Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Larger...
I’m typically shallow and a picker, and I love to hit little nippers around the green. I also like to do stupid things around the green so it’ll allow for a more open face. It’ll be interesting to see how it performs.
I may have missed it earlier in the thread but I'm typically shallow as well with minimum divot - what Grind did you go for?

Thanks

A

Golfers Anonymous

Budget Championship 22’
Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
I may have missed it earlier in the thread but I'm typically shallow as well with minimum divot - what Grind did you go for?

Thanks

A
I ordered a Z in this instance to tryout.

ttucliffhanger

Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Love the 54 10S. First pull was a chip 2’ off the green about 15’ from the pin and chipped in for birdie on hole #1. Second pull was about a 30’ chip to a foot and a half. 2 3/4 swings from 80-85 and both one stop and hop.

Iceman!

THPer formerly known as "markm778"
Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Love the 54 10S. First pull was a chip 2’ off the green about 15’ from the pin and chipped in for birdie on hole #1. Second pull was about a 30’ chip to a foot and a half. 2 3/4 swings from 80-85 and both one stop and hop.
I'm having really good success with the same club - I had a nice flop shot over sand yesterday on to a green where the pin was down hill.
One of those shots where you drop it on the edge of rough to take the speed off of it and let roll to the hole.
However I hit so good that I got too much spin and didn't release - the wedge just glided through the rough.

I'm in a "Get Comfortable" stage with this wedge - the more I use it, the more comfortable I am with it.
Think the thing that stands out for me is the weighting, the wedge seems to be so balanced - it's a different feeling.

OldandStiff

AlsoBald
Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
The S doesn't get the love it should. It may not seem as fancy, but it's no less good.

20220812_104424.jpg

It's my workhorse.

Last edited:

Iceman!

Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap

ttucliffhanger

Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The S doesn't get the love it should. It may not seem as fancy, but it's no less good.

View attachment 9111853

It's my workhorse.
2 holes left and it’s been soooo good today. A little lower ball flight than I’m used to on 3/4 to full shots but that doesn’t bother me bc it checks just as good.

ttucliffhanger

Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Wanted to touch on the feel of this wedge. Really really liked the feel from chips to full shots. The grooves are sharp though haha. Here is the ball I was using today and I had a shot that I felt the ball compress and looked down and saw the cover on the wedge and then seen the mark on the ball when I got to the green.
EEB66F92-5F62-4B3D-A909-CE8E42AEA44A.jpeg

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2022 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Even without a reshaft, I just grabbed the 60* and threw it in the bag for the trip. If nothing else, I can have some fun on the 18th and their killer chipping area. The look gets me.

ttucliffhanger

Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I also like the look of this wedge looking down. The darkened and muted color looks really good.

JNewsted

Reaction score
Handicap
Just to make sure, the X grind in the Jaws RAW is the same as the MD5s, correct?

I'm also using the T grind in my MD5 60°, you think that'll translate to the Z in the RAWs?

OldandStiff

AlsoBald
Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
20220812_135733.jpg

Bad approach? No problem.

That's 2 with the Raws today in the hole. 54S and 60Z both getting in on the fun. :D:D:D

I really love that front edge.

Iceman!

Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap

J4U

IronMan
Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Mental
Even without a reshaft, I just grabbed the 60* and threw it in the bag for the trip. If nothing else, I can have some fun on the 18th and their killer chipping area. The look gets me.
I think I remember you saying you were going to get it to 62, am I miss thinking? I want to do that to my 60z as well. It is just crazy good but want it a little weaker. I know bounce and all will be affected, but will it be that much going 2 degrees weak?

That will set up a new range of wedges different than the ones I have if I go with these across the board. I still like my 64 around the green but think I can move them all out if this works.

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2022 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I think I remember you saying you were going to get it to 62, am I miss thinking? I want to do that to my 60z as well. It is just crazy good but want it a little weaker. I know bounce and all will be affected, but will it be that much going 2 degrees weak?

That will set up a new range of wedges different than the ones I have if I go with these across the board. I still like my 64 around the green but think I can move them all out if this works.
Nope that is correct. It’s bent to that and it’s a tool I like around the greens

J4U

IronMan
Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Mental
Nope that is correct. It’s bent to that and it’s a tool I like around the greens
I think I need to copy you and make this change across the bag.

Scooby45

#enjoythewalk
Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
bourbon
Got to hit these for the first time and I really liked how they both swung and felt. The past version and I didn’t really get along. It’s not a fair word, but towards the harsher side was what I felt with their last generation.

These though, are really nice. Might have to get a 60 to mess around with…

J4U

IronMan
Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Mental
I think I need to copy you and make this change across the bag.
And....Done.

On course relearning tomorrow.

OldandStiff

AlsoBald
Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
Despite the chip ins and actually missing my line a little bit on this one it was kind of the love-love shot for me today. 108 to the pin after a really middling drive to the right. Breeze was consistently inconsistent and bothersome up high today, so I wanted to take this one in low. Hit it how I wanted (except for a little right) and it did what I wanted. Hit pin high with the CSX LS, took a hop, and came back to it's mark. Flighted 54 (@55*), with an LS, and ends up right where it landed. :love:

I have my 60Z a little weak too @J4U . Was a yardage/gapping thing initially but I really like the look and versatily of it around the greens too.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in