Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Callaway Golf has historically been steadfast in their two-year release cycle philosophy, and only in very special circumstances have we seen them move past that window. When it has happened, it has always been about their commitment to not just refreshing for the sake of time, but rather, creating something that is different, and in their opinions an absolute improvement from the previous iteration. 

We have seen it happen with the APEX irons, and now we are seeing it with wedges. The MD5 have been a massive success for Callaway on Tour and with amateurs, but at just under a three-year life cycle, it is time for something new. 

Say farewell to the Mack Daddy and MD moniker and say hello to JAWS Raw. ...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Can’t wait for these, so excited to try the Z grind.

Question: Any mention of wet spin rates? This seems to be a big deal for some companies and expected to see it as a talking point. (If I missed it laugh and make fun of me 😀)

I can’t wait to try the Z grind

Great write-up and photos @Jman …. We can always use another wedge, eh! Looks like a great compliment to a couple of Full Toes 😉.

I can’t wait to try the Z grind
I want a Z Grind in the light Finish to spend some time with. It’s an intriguing new release.

Looks like a lot of great options and a huge variety here. Nice write up @Jman . A fitting may be required to find the right one for you with all of those options.

• Staff
Looks like a lot of great options and a huge variety here. Nice write up @Jman . A fitting may be required to find the right one for you with all of those options.
Thank ya!

I actually really like that they’ve streamlined their options this time, there’s much less confusion and each of the four grinds has its specific fit realm. It was a good move for Callaway.

These look and sound amazing!

Thank ya!

I actually really like that they’ve streamlined their options this time, there’s much less confusion and each of the four grinds has its specific fit realm. It was a good move for Callaway.
The grinds and how they fit each shot type and where they are most effectively used is my next great nerding out. I feel there's so much information in the technology and so many options that the one stop for most isn't as clear as in some other club selections. This stuff is fascinating.

Of course, they had my attention at tungsten.

Also though, how strange is it going to feel with the Callaway wedges not being named Mack Daddy or MD? anymore?

Ohhhh my!

@Jman great write up! Enjoyed your take on this. More spin than the MD5 new grinds and tungsten weighting!

A fitting is in my future I know it! Hopefully some aftermarket graphite shafts available!

Enjoyed that write up @Jman

That Z grind is very interesting. I'll need new wedges next season and these are going to be the leaders in the clubhouse!

Yep these are a awesome. Love you everything About these. The z grind is calling my name..

Spin Machine you say?! I like the sound of that cause I want as much spin as I can get around the greens. I like the DG Spinner shaft as stock as well. I will be trying these out for sure. I'm in need of good SW (y)

I was lucky enough to see these in hand Saturday. The shape is perfect..

Great write up @Jman I want a few of these in my hands now.

So freaking beautiful!!! That matte black is so good 😍😍

Callaway Golf has historically been steadfast in their two-year release cycle philosophy, and only in very special circumstances have we seen them move past that window. When it has happened, it has always been about their commitment to not just refreshing for the sake of time, but rather, creating something that is different, and in their opinions an absolute improvement from the previous iteration.

We have seen it happen with the APEX irons, and now we are seeing it with wedges. The MD5 have been a massive success for Callaway on Tour and with amateurs, but at just under a three-year life cycle, it is time for something new.

Continue reading...
As usual, great write up @Jman! Expected nothing less

These new wedges have me smiling big time, probably the one are where i need help with most.I have always liked the look of the raw for wedges. Being a digger, that Z Grind is looking good

Nice write up.

Talk about versatility, besides the longer hosel and tungsten, you have 17 options of which to choose what works best for your game and the courses you play.

Just after I completed my bag with an MD5 54°, Callaway drops this in our lap. Very interested to hear the thoughts of playing with these wedges once some THPers get their hands on them.

Great writeup @Jman! The Z Grind has my attention for sure!

Back