OH man I hit it to 2 feet. Waaaaaa. Hahaha. NO the rust!
But I didn't do anything to do that! I just hit them close. The rust shows up on its o... oh. Maybe there is a correlation there .. :p

I just had an idea about brass brushing some off though. Hold on.

20220809_191727.jpg

Brass, **'ing brush y'all.

Okay, last one I want to talk about from today with these wedges. So I started out on fire with them, but on #2 I had 80y, but was kind of on top of a hill/mound. Weird stance, and it was actually going to be firm under the ball. Kind of flat served that one, low-mid flight on a partial kind of holding it off. Worked great. That was with the 60Z. So then I got to this one on #14.

Screenshot_20220809-211622_Video Player.jpg

105y to the pin that's kind of front right, a really frustratingly inconsistent breeze at my back, and the ball a little above my feet. I decide to hit kind of an og Nebraska dart. More extreme version of the earlier one. I don't do it much anymore but they're actually really handy downwind, which isn't what most would think. It's kind of a sweepy knockdown that keeps them from getting carried in the wind and they still get good spin. The internet outside of here will absolutely hate how this shot looks, but this kind of option is a big win and says a lot about the wedges for me.

That thing probably peaked at what, 50 feet?, from 105y, and it backed up. No small feat on these greens in general, much less on that trajectory. If you follow my posts in wedge threads before these came out I'm big on low control. That is some serious low control. Big, big fan.

@OldandStiff

A little salt water and aluminum foil. Won't scratch the finish and the aluminum has a chemical reaction with the rust....

After you've scrubbed it easy, wipe it dry, or rinse with distilled water and wipe dry. Bingo bango!

Edit... added part about distilled water..
16600987143998297005824030139232.jpg
16600987484066534693026238499801.jpg
16600988961815809711434152201386.jpg

Last edited:

Edit: wouldn't salt water make it rust more in the end? :unsure:

You don't have to use salt water. It's salinity isn't very high. Just enough to help pull the rust. You can rinse and dry it very well with no concern...

My
View attachment 9111272

Brass, **'ing brush y'all.
My wedges get cleaned with soapy water after pretty much every shot from my GrooveIt brush, so I'm sure mine will rust faster than some, but I don't mind the look of your wedges after use AT ALL.

oh nice! looked much better. :) and dang that thing has rusted something fierce already.
Something to consider is he plays a lot more than most of us weekend hackers. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: So I'm sure that has something to do with the speed of rusting due to being exposed to the elements more.

Edit: wouldn't salt water make it rust more in the end? :unsure:

The answer to this is yes....Keeping rust off a Navy submarine or ship is hard due to that reason alone...

Something to consider is he plays a lot more than most of us weekend hackers. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: So I'm sure that has something to do with the speed of rusting due to being exposed to the elements more.
That and hits harder. Based upon what the two of us talked about I think that has more to do with it than people realize. More hits and harder hits are going to give the patina or tarnish more quickly.

The answer to this is yes....Keeping rust off a Navy submarine or ship is hard due to that reason alone...

You're right it defintely will if continually exposed to salt midst/water or even humidity.

I've used this for years on many other surfaces with little to no increased levels of patina since the metal surface has the saline solution removed with distilled water and dried. I used to use this a lot of chrome plated surfaces and steel with very high levels of success.

I just wanted to offer this as a way to keep the wedges clean for those interested in unrusty wedges. Won't go much further as it could deter away from the origin of the thread, which is Callaway's BEST wedge made to date!!!

Last edited:
You're right it defintely will if continually exposed to salt midst/water or even humidity.

I've used this for years on many other surfaces with little to no increased levels of patina since the metal surface has the saline solution removed with distilled water and dried. I used to use this a lot of chrome plated surfaces and steel with very high levels of success.

I just wanted to offer this as a way to keep the wedges clean for those interested in unrusty wedges. Won't go much further as it could deter away from the origin of the thread, which is Callaway's BEST wedge made to date!!!
Man I cannot wait to get to the course on Friday. It's going to be wet due to all the rain we've had lately and raining again tomorrow, so we will see how it does, but I usually clean my club after every shot so it will definitely get wet tomorrow haha.

I was out in the field behind our property last night, took a dozen balls and the wedge. This is only mowed every few weeks so it was probably 3-4 inches of grass - since I wasn't able to play but I took some pictures of the wedge I felt like I needed to throw a hundred swings at it.

Again, two things were really brought out to me first off is the consistency of ball flight and the second is the turf interaction. In hindsight I should have taken my phone out with me for some pictures - but we'll need to just go off of the written word this time around.

Since the field is only 50 yards by 20 yards at best there was no way I could do full shots. I decided that I wanted to try out my partial swing to see how good I could do and how consistent I could be. We know the wedge performs but how does it work with an amateur operator.

Nice part about just being out in the field alone I could just walk with the balls - so I dropped all dozen at the front of the field and just went to chipping.

Way there, I tried to get the ball up and down quickly - I was pretending I was trying to get over something and land on the green and get the ball to stop. What I learned is that I'm not quite there yet in terms of my striking. I put the ball a bit forward in the stance, opened the face a slight bit and gave some partial swings. Lots of shots ending up between 5-12 yards (or abouts) but a lot of variety because of the balls. However, when I tried it again for my next grouping I stepped on all of the balls so they were down further into my rough, better results with that grouping all within a few yards of each other but still not even in a kiddy pool sized. Next set was about the same - got a lot of shots closer together but I had just done it 20 times. Turned around and went back - same thing by the end I was getting half or more of my shots to land in the 10 foot diameter about 10 yards away. I was also pushing them down a little bit, turns out hitting a shot like that for me requires the ball to be down otherwise I clip the ball with the top of the club and it doesn't go anywhere - I might as well just bump and run it at that point (which I can't do over a bunker but that's a tale for another thread and plenty of time to figure out)

So the flop shot went well - call it 72 shots and I didn't notice really any weird issues with the club either digging to badly or not going in the range of what I wanted after I got used to the swing - overall very good performance when I gave it multiple rounds of hitting the same shot.

The next one is why I really went out there - little pitch shots. Could I go 25-35 yards and could I do it consistently. For those who have followed my live posts or just posts in general I'm not a super far hitter. In fact in terms of GIR I'm short of the green 68% of the time. But with only 13% GIR at all I'm not there most of the time which leads to a shot anywhere between feet and (sometimes a lot of) yards.

As I got set up I was just going to hit back and forth twice giving me 48 shots - my thoughts were less accuracy and longer distance was going to give me a lot more ball searching in that rough. Ball in my standard position just back of center and maybe the shaft a bit above parallel was the plan.

This is where I found a lot of success and fun. Letting these fly up and land is a good time. I didn't take many divots but I was getting a good little ball-big ball routine going. My shots still tend to go slightly right so I need to figure that out but at least they were almost all slightly right. If I have a consistent swing even if I am not hitting the ball center of the face all of the time it gives very good results. I think it is a combination of the W grind in the rough and the belief that it has a good sized sweet spot. I might not have been getting as tight of a landing zone as I wanted but I was getting in the general vicinity with all of my shots minus maybe 5 that were total user error shots.

Long set of paragraphs for the short version of - in short the W grind performs very well in thick rough and hitting it almost anywhere near the center of the face both feels good and delivers good results. If you are looking for a wedge out of the rough, don't sleep on the W grind.

Man I cannot wait to get to the course on Friday. It's going to be wet due to all the rain we've had lately and raining again tomorrow, so we will see how it does, but I usually clean my club after every shot so it will definitely get wet tomorrow haha.

You will ❤️ these clubs!!!

You will ❤ these clubs!!!
That's my hopes because I already have a buddy of mine wanting to by my md5 and pm grind. It will be my first spin with the jaws raw and jaws ft raw

I could not find a 58 degree with z grind locally so I ordered it. Now the wait begins!
Screenshot_20220806-214709_Chrome.jpg

Back