Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Wedge Review

Thanks for all the comments everyone, much appreciated.

They're a BIG step in the right direction for Cally IMO when it comes to wedges. That said its definitely still a hit or miss when it comes to fitting the eye like most wedges are for people. I honestly think the smoky chrome is the best chrome finish on any wedge I've seen as well.

I played all types of golf balls with them (urethane and non) and never even remotely chewed up a ball with them. Not at all doubting some of the better players can do it, but there's no way they eat balls like the original MD grooves did (even I could knaw a golfball up with those).

Thanks for all the comments everyone, much appreciated.

They're a BIG step in the right direction for Cally IMO when it comes to wedges. That said its definitely still a hit or miss when it comes to fitting the eye like most wedges are for people. I honestly think the smoky chrome is the best chrome finish on any wedge I've seen as well.

I played all types of golf balls with them (urethane and non) and never even remotely chewed up a ball with them. Not at all doubting some of the better players can do it, but there's no way they eat balls like the original MD grooves did (even I could knaw a golfball up with those).

My favourite shots are still when I look down at my club face and see that they're filled with ball, and my golf ball looks like it had half a stroke through a cheese grater.

Nice review!. They knocked my MP-T4's out of the bag.

If you have a minute, it would be good to get your view on both wedges.:)

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

I've really been enjoying the 58* Mack Daddy 2 wedge. Its become my go to club for short sand shots. Have had it in the bag since the Atlanta Invitational. My comfort level and confidence continue to grow with it. Solid performer.

I've really been enjoying the 58* Mack Daddy 2 wedge. Its become my go to club for short sand shots. Have had it in the bag since the Atlanta Invitational. My comfort level and confidence continue to grow with it. Solid performer.
Good to hear! I've been stuck in a ponder for a few months over wedges.... I just need to pull the trigger

Are these wedges aimed at the lower handicap player, or for all handicap levels?

Are these wedges aimed at the lower handicap player, or for all handicap levels?

Aimed at everyone. Large face, versatile from many lies, and most find them quite easy to game.

I don't think they are much different than any blade style wedge in that regard.

words cannot express how awesome my Mack Daddy 2 wedge is, But I could really use a 54* they make 52, 56, 58 & 60...why did they skip 54....:at-wits-end:

Still in love with my 60*.

words cannot express how awesome my Mack Daddy 2 wedge is, But I could really use a 54* they make 52, 56, 58 & 60...why did they skip 54....:at-wits-end:

50, 54, and 64 will be coming shortly. Maybe a 48, too? Not sure about that one.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

50, 54, and 64 will be coming shortly. Maybe a 48, too? Not sure about that one.

47 actually. That was confirmed by Matt at the callaway testing.

cool...thanks

The one thing I am finding more With these wedges is how deadly they are on three-quarter and half shots. anything from 80 yards to 50 yards short of the green, these are probably the Straightest and most accurate wedges I've ever played.
You would think this would carry over around the greens but I'm finding more release around the greens and Less hard stops something to get used to not bad just getting used to it.

The one thing I am finding more With these wedges is how deadly they are on three-quarter and half shots. anything from 80 yards to 50 yards short of the green, these are probably the Straightest and most accurate wedges I've ever played.
You would think this would carry over around the greens but I'm finding more release around the greens and Less hard stops something to get used to not bad just getting used to it.

I had 3 or 4 putts yesterday that were a few feet longer because they just stopped

I had 3 or 4 putts yesterday that were a few feet longer because they just stopped

So you are seeing a good amount of green side spin, that's good to hear

Was talking yesterday about looking for new wedges. Might hold off until these come out in 54/58 and when that happens they could be in the bag.

I have 2 different wedges in the bag right now trying to narrow it down to go with one set. I continue to grab these out of the bag to use right now. These are jus some great wedges and perform in critical situations when needed!

Was talking yesterday about looking for new wedges. Might hold off until these come out in 54/58 and when that happens they could be in the bag.

I like it Deano. Had it not been for the Hopkins, I was planning on doing the exact same thing. Solid wedges!

I will order a 54 the day they are released, I have to much gap between my PW(48) & SW(56)

I like it Deano. Had it not been for the Hopkins, I was planning on doing the exact same thing. Solid wedges!

Having 2 different finishes on my wedges is messing with me. My 57 TR is rusted finish and I love it, the 53 is satin with the rusted face which is eh. I threw my J40 in the bag the other night, I'm not sure if I am going to go back to it or not. Kind of just want something new to me.

have a 56s (bent to 54) and a 58u. put the px95 shafts in and have been blown away. These wedges are ridiculously good. Spin and control around the greens has really made me feel that these will be a game changer for me. The ability to aim at a flag and knowing what the ball will do is incredible. Even on mishits i've been impressed. A few balls I hit quite thin should have been over the green, but bit and stayed down instead of going over. No doubt one of the best wedges on the market.

I have 2 different wedges in the bag right now trying to narrow it down to go with one set. I continue to grab these out of the bag to use right now. These are jus some great wedges and perform in critical situations when needed!

I'm doing the same thing. I JUST got two J40s when I got the MD2 from the contest. I've been going back and forth with the 58s because I just can't tell. I like each one pretty much equally. The only thing keeping me on the 40 side is the fact I have a 54º. That will be remedied, I guess, about November, according to their site. They'll even have the 64º !!

Quick question. Has anybody here found these to be a tad shorter on full and half swings than other wedges? Like between a 5-10 yard loss, loft for loft?

Back