Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Wedge Review

I have not Colt. Could it be something causing you to hit them slightly heavy without noticing it?

Quick question. Has anybody here found these to be a tad shorter on full and half swings than other wedges? Like between a 5-10 yard loss, loft for loft?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

I've found that my 60* is the same distance if not farther than my other two.

Quick question. Has anybody here found these to be a tad shorter on full and half swings than other wedges? Like between a 5-10 yard loss, loft for loft?

They are longer than previous wedges, could it be a shaft difference.

Freddie and I were discussing these on the course today. I LOVE them on full and partial swings, much better for me there than my previous wedges. I get very consistent numbers and my misses are reigned in. I do miss the versatility around the greens a bit though.

I have not Colt. Could it be something causing you to hit them slightly heavy without noticing it?

I dunno. It was on a monitor, off of mats, against my 588's. I got slightly lower launch of the MD2's with quite a bit more spin. They were just consistently coming up 6-8 yards short. Might be a comfort level thing. Subconsciously swinging a tad easier because of that smaller head. Interesting was all. I definitely like these tough. I mean a lot.

They are longer than previous wedges, could it be a shaft difference.

Freddie and I were discussing these on the course today. I LOVE them on full and partial swings, much better for me there than my previous wedges. I get very consistent numbers and my misses are reigned in. I do miss the versatility around the greens a bit though.

Versatility? What were you playing before that was much more versatile than these?

Versatility? What were you playing before that was much more versatile than these?

J40... I still think it is the best wedge out there around the greens. I like the lofts on my current set much more or I would consider going back.

I'm doing the same thing. I JUST got two J40s when I got the MD2 from the contest. I've been going back and forth with the 58s because I just can't tell. I like each one pretty much equally. The only thing keeping me on the 40 side is the fact I have a 54º. That will be remedied, I guess, about November, according to their site. They'll even have the 64º !!
After last night, I'm more torn than ever on which setup to go with. I was hitting some fantastic shots (Chips, Pitches, Bump-n-Run, and a big ol' Flop) with the 40s.
However, part of me still really likes the MD2, especially in this dangblasted Bermuda rough we have here that can get rather nasty. I'm not saying the 40s can't handle that, but the MD is just butter through the stuff.

Dangit.

Look like they have added some new lofts to the line 50, 54, 64 but they are 6-8 weeks shipping....

I don't want to wait till November...geesh that's a bummer
I'm right there with you Dean! I have got to get one in the bag..even if I have it bent to where I want it.

Maiden voyage with my 58 degree with the Phil Mickelson grind

6ynyhane.jpg

Mikey you finally got it, nice. Have fun out there today.

I'm still enjoying my wedges and will be putting new shafts I this week. Kbs customs will be in play the rest of the year. I'm hoping this elevate the spin around the greens.

Mward that shot I hit on the 15th from off the green Tuesday was with my 58* MD2. I hope you love it man! Been a workhorse for me. I'm seriously contemplating picking up a 54* when they come out to replace my Cleveland 54*.

Mward that shot I hit on the 15th from off the green Tuesday was with my 58* MD2. I hope you love it man! Been a workhorse for me. I'm seriously contemplating picking up a 54* when they come out to replace my Cleveland 54*.

It better give similar results then!

Will post when I'm finished with my round with thoughts. That particular grind has me very interested

I am looking at wedges right now and these are on top of my list. Will be interested in hearing what your thoughts are Mikey.

I am looking at wedges right now and these are on top of my list. Will be interested in hearing what your thoughts are Mikey.

not to interject, but i have a 60* MD2 wedge and it is really good, great feel & you can really spin them, sometimes too much.

Had a very mixed day with this wedge. This grind is one I'm not used to and plays much different than my J40. Works very nicely on high pitch shots but on ones where I'm trying to play a releasing pitch, I kept bouncing into the ball and could feel the trailing edge being the culprit. Definitely needs to be something I need to spend more 2 balls with around the green.

For me, I always felt like if I needed to hit some shots out of tricky lies, I could use the bounce and throw it under the ball. This grind feels like I need to stay aggressive throughout the shot or it's going to lead to some issues.

I find this club so confidence inspiring. Numerous times today I chipped within tap in distance from easily twenty to thirty yards with my 58°. That carries over to so many rounds this year. Same results every time. As long as I'm playing a ball that I know will bite I can stop this thing on a dime if I need to. So many different shot options available and it handle each one so well. I certainly need to invest in a 54° MD2 to give me better flexibility in my shot selection and to add some more range to my sharpshooting ;)

Looks like some of the new lofts are available with more reasonable shipping time 1-3 days at Callawaygolf.com, maybe quicker at amazon if you are a prime member ;)

I've hit mine a couple times during last weekends rounds.
Standard grind 58*. I love this wedge!
I checked up some balls that were normal releases.
Had a couple of hop and stops also.
I'm not someone who usually spins the wedges much so it was refreshing to do so.

As I'm taking lessons, I'm exited to see this wedge do it's thing!

Just call me...Barb
First official '15 Morgan cup hopeful.
(Gonna work on the game!)

So pulled the trigger today and picked up a 50, 54 and 58. Cant wait. Will be ready tomorrow.

I reshafted mine this week with white KBS tours. They now launch high and longer than the stock shaft I pulled out. The spin I've been wanting was there around the greens. They are now complete and oh so beautiful

3ejuhe5u.jpg

Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Wedge Review

I've been pondering doing the exact same thing Freddie. Stock shaft for me just doesn't seem to be working as I'm about 10yds shorter than my J40's. Doesn't seem to add up when they're the same loft and length.

Edit: tip diameter is at .355 right?

Back