Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Wedge Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Great review. I am anxious to put the MD2 through its paces as well! Great to hear the grooves don't shred up balls.

Tappin my iPhone5

Nice job JMan. Interesting points about the Grind. Well done with pointing out the attention to detail and great photos buddy. This clearly fits the way Callaway is doing business. Everything they’ve done this year has been a home run.
Price point is a little higher than the other wedges on the market, but not out of the range.
Wedges being so personal to each player these definitely give a golfer more options

Great review Jman, sounds like Callaway is again a major force in the wedge market. I am glad to see their market push being backed by great products. I am impressed with the versatility you found with the MD2

Well done James, well done. I love reading your reviews. After a lackluster (in my opinion) wedge offering last year by Callaway, they are back in a BIG way. Cant wait to give these a try.

Nice review JMan. I'm looking forward to getting one of these in my bag

Nice review Jman. These sound like solid wedges.

Great review Jman!

Great review. Sounds like they have really done well with this release.

Nice review Jman. I agree these are prob the best aesthetically to the old X wedges. The rounder shape still isn't for everyone but I'm loving my MD2 so far. If it weren't for Hopkins, I'd probably be bagging a few of these.

And to anyone curious about the MD2 grooves, I haven't had one rip/tear the cover of my ball yet. I know some have said they have been able to. I would argue then that it couldn't possibly be as bad as the old MD grooves in the X-Tour, X-Forged and JAWS wedges.

I am finding the performance of these wedges to my liking. I have the slate and the spin I am seeing rivals what I saw in my previous wedges. In fact they are checking more then I’d like on softer greens.

They have all the shots and I agree, without the grind I am still able to open the face and play the soft touch shots. These wedges give you marshmallow hands.

The grooves have shown to shred golf balls. I played the Chrome+ for 18 holes yesterday and at the conclusion the ball looked like it had been through several rounds.

James great review buddy. I hit these a ton last night on the range. They are sooooo good. Might be my favorite wedges ever. They really are just solid all around full shots half shots. Pitching and chipping I've been impressed with all of them. Think these will be in the bag for quite some time.

Jeez you take good pictures man. You write a pretty good review too :p
Not sure these are for me, but it's nice to see Cally coming out with something that was popular with many people.

Jeez you take good pictures man. You write a pretty good review too :p
Not sure these are for me, but it's nice to see Cally coming out with something that was popular with many people.

Why not hawk? Just curious? I think you'd be surprised.

Why not hawk? Just curious? I think you'd be surprised.

I just can't do the rounder wedges. I've never hit them well for some reason. I probably shouldn't be so close minded about it, but it's one of those things that I've noticed from past experience.

I just can't do the rounder wedges. I've never hit them well for some reason. I probably shouldn't be so close minded about it, but it's one of those things that I've noticed from past experience.

I can understand that. Some of the different grinds help with the rounder shape as well. I stayed away from more of the rounder ones. It just took some time to adjust to with my x forged vintage MD.

Great review Jman! Fantastic insight. This is my first Callaway club and I couldn't be more impressed. Excited that you are seeing similar results.

I can understand that. Some of the different grinds help with the rounder shape as well. I stayed away from more of the rounder ones. It just took some time to adjust to with my x forged vintage MD.

No doubt. I'm sure a week of work and I'd be in good shape. Hell, it took me a week to get used to the Hopkins and it's a pretty similar shape to the 588's.

Do love the slate look though. Very sharp.

Good stuff James! I'm happy you are seeing those results in these wedges. I think they have a winner with these this year. And I love the slate look. Already starting to show that "worn" look on the face where the ball makes contact which really makes them look unique!

Great review Jman. I am really looking forward to getting mine in hand to give it a try for myself.

This was a really enjoyable read James! Liked the bit of history and touching on the gap that was there in the product for a number of years. Reading Callaway’s bullets on this wedge and you can tell that there was a major emphasis placed on spin.

I really know nothing about grinds so I appreciate that they offer options and elaborate on whom/where could benefit from them. Personally, I love the looks of these (especially the vintage slate). The milling on the back of the wedge adds some nice aesthetics to it IMO.

I like hearing that the standard grind was plenty versatile for you, cause I think that’s what most of the masses will have in the bag. That rounded edge does scare me though…always has. Glad to see Callaway really coming back hot & heavy into the wedge market with a revamped solid offering!

Great review. The wider grooves is an interesting addition to these wedges. I might have to try these out for my bag.

Your review was well done, it was an enjoyable read. I really like the appearance of these wedges, including the micro-grooving on the face and the milling on the back. Being a sweeper the rounded leading edge scares me just a little. However, it sounds like the grinds that are offered will help mitigate it nicely.

That was a really good review! I really love my original X-Forgeds so if these are harkening back to them, they might be a suitable replacement when the time comes.

Great review James, I love reading your reviews.. I am anxious to put the MD2 through its paces as well! Great to hear the grooves don't shred up balls. Interesting points about the grind.

Back