Callaway Mack Daddy CB Wedges

No idea but according to my local retailer, they were not at all popular when they were originally on the market. They still have quite a few of them lingering on the racks today.

I thought both the Sure Out for its target demographic and the CB wedges for the next stratum down from that were extremely well designed and executed products. Pity they both sank without a trace so quickly. I guess it is what’s used on Tour that move the needle for all these companies.

There is that big swath of players who have always gravitated toward the higher-end Callaway products (Big Bertha usually). Older guys with money and middling handicaps basically. For some reason, they seem more likely to play wedges from their iron set than to go with these much more reasonable CB wedges.
Interesting and I have to wonder how localized it is, because nationally they were excellent sellers while in line (based on datatech)

No idea but according to my local retailer, they were not at all popular when they were originally on the market. They still have quite a few of them lingering on the racks today.

I thought both the Sure Out for its target demographic and the CB wedges for the next stratum down from that were extremely well designed and executed products. Pity they both sank without a trace so quickly. I guess it is what’s used on Tour that move the needle for all these companies.

I saw the same thing here at Golf Galaxy. A few months ago, they had moved all of the CB's to the used rack (probably about 70 of them)...even though they were new and marked them at $79 which I thought was a major bargain. Had I not had a backstock of new, barely used wedges in my basement, I would have tried some of them.

I think Cleveland dominates the cavity back/game improvement segment with the CBX line if I had to guess.

I never tried the CB but do often game the Sure Out 64*. Matter of fact since it came out it was in my bag up until last week when I decided to add a 4h back to my bag.

I have the CB 58/12 and 60/12. They are quite forgiving and easy to play. I'd recommend them to anyone who doesn't have time to practice their wedges.

Now that I'm retired I have time to practice with a MD5 52/10S and a Ping Glide 3.0 58/06 TS.

I have the CB 58/12 and 60/12. They are quite forgiving and easy to play. I'd recommend them to anyone who doesn't have time to practice their wedges.

Now that I'm retired I have time to practice with a MD5 52/10S and a Ping Glide 3.0 58/06 TS.
I’ve always had this love affair with Vokey wedges that I just can’t shake. On my very best days there truly is a degree of control and versatility I can’t get in the big fat soled wedges. A few times over the years I have psyched myself into spending a lot of time hitting all sorts of wedge shots to very specific targets and it does pay off.

But I remember when I had 54 and 58 Mack Daddy CB’s for a year (before going MD4 then back to Vokey). It was like take the club back an appropriate amount for the distance you’re hitting, bump it into the ground right under the ball, hold the followthrough and watch it fly onto the green and roll out 10 or 15 feet. Lather, rinse, repeat. Never practiced with them at all and yet from anywhere 40-80 yards I kept giving myself 20 foot putts like it was the easiest thing in the world.

Apparently, I’d rather hit one beautiful flighted wedge shot per round to 5 feet and duff a few others. Golf has a logic all its own and it’s a fool looks for logic in the chambers of a hacker’s heart.

CPO is loaded with them right now, in all grades.

I'd love to see a new version released, I've had the 56 for a couple of years and it's ready for a replacement.
A blacked out version would be even better.......match the rest of my bag.

Back