Callaway Mack Daddy CB Wedges

One short range session with the 56-14 and I am in love. It's cool to choke down and hit little pitches near the green. Standard chips were easy and had some nice bunker shots. Plus the sand was wet.

Played with the MD CB 56 graphite wedge yesterday. Love it around the green for small flop shots over bunkers, short green side pitches, sand shots, etc and not great in the fairway trying to max out the distance off a tight lie. It feels great and is the perfect green side club.

Had these in play this weekend and was quite pleased with the results. Got some nice “Bite” on a couple of chips I made. They were also really good out of the bunkers. Like the longer grip to hit those delicate chips.

Had these in play this weekend and was quite pleased with the results. Got some nice “Bite” on a couple of chips I made. They were also really good out of the bunkers. Like the longer grip to hit those delicate chips.

Sounds good Iceman. Yes, I will add there was some nice bite on my pitches/chips even with my Soft Feel balls that normally run off the green or roll out more than was expected. Besides the bite from the MD grooves, the higher trajectory must help as well.

So big question: I'm looking to fill a 50, 54, and 58. Having played with them all now, what do you recommend for each: MDCB, CBX2, or CBX Full Face?

Don't know how I missed this thread originally. Added to the consideration list. Thanks for the write-up, @JB.

So big question: I'm looking to fill a 50, 54, and 58. Having played with them all now, what do you recommend for each: MDCB, CBX2, or CBX Full Face?

Have only played the MDCB which is a winner, I demo'd the CBX2 which felt nice and have a lot of love around here. The MD is $10 cheaper. Pretty close in my opinion.

Also, since you need a set the Kirkland wedge set should be out soon.

looks like a product a decade behind where we are...maybe its just me!

1601597600517.png

They are both winners in my book - The Full Face of the MD is nice on the higher lofts and is the MD is a little lighter to me.
The weight of the CBX2 does cause you to create a more smoother swing with them being heavier.

I do have to say that the longer grip on the MDCB is really a nice option. You'd be surprised how much you would use it if you had it.

They are both winners in my book - The Full Face of the MD is nice on the higher lofts and is the MD is a little lighter to me.
The weight of the CBX2 does cause you to create a more smoother swing with them being heavier.

I do have to say that the longer grip on the MDCB is really a nice option. You'd be surprised how much you would use it if you had it.

Agreed with the long grip. I used to be fearful of small chips with a lofted club near the green. Not any more with the MD CB. Just choke down and swing a little harder than you think.

So one of things I’ve noticed with these wedges, because they are so light, I’m generating more club speed and I’m hitting them longer than CBX2. Losing a little control I had previously.

Great video by Dan. It was great to see how consistent this wedge was regardless of what he threw at it. Full face forgiveness sounds good to me.

Good video. Did Dan identify which loft wedge he was hitting?

For those looking for a comparison to the Jaws wedges from Callaway, I stopped in PGATSS to take a look. These 2 are 60s. The head is bigger. The Jaws wedge is the 12* wide sole to make it as close as possible.

I do like the longer grip on the CB for people that like to choke down on their wedges around the green.4778A5B9-8F50-4DC9-AFE5-8B7D3F502C0F.jpeg

I hope to have an opportunity to demo these this weekend. Interested in seeing how they compare to my CBX2.

I've moved in the direction of forgiveness, despite my heart preferring a smaller clubhead - performance in a fitting and on the course can't be argued with.

So, these kind of have my attention right now. I'm a massive fan of Callaway's wedges. Been playing them since the MD3 - and have a strong preference for the brand. The MD4 I have are probably due to be replaced next year. I'm really interested in taking some swings with these on grass to see how they work for me.

These keep calling me. I love the full face milling that is taken from the PM grind. Also love the perimeter weighting and added forgiveness. MD5’s are seriously good but can’t help but wonder about these on full to 3/4 swings.

These keep calling me. I love the full face milling that is taken from the PM grind. Also love the perimeter weighting and added forgiveness. MD5’s are seriously good but can’t help but wonder about these on full to 3/4 swings.

The 52 is where I think I might really like these - but... I wouldn't mind putting the 56 in play either. Playing off a 48 AW, I might go 52-56-60 next year, but need to figure out my gaps on the long side.

The 52 is where I think I might really like these - but... I wouldn't mind putting the 56 in play either. Playing off a 48 AW, I might go 52-56-60 next year, but need to figure out my gaps on the long side.

I like it in the 50° and 54° spots. Compare the AW in the set and 54° for some swings where I really need to launch it high and stop from distance.

We have a video coming soon comparing blades to cavity backs in wedges. Pretty interesting.

Back