Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

Hi! Just got new a Mavrik driver! Dumb question but do the weight adjustments just tighten until snug or do they snap-lock like hosel? Anyone ever had one come loose or lost?
It's the wrench that 'snaps', so you can tighten the weights until that happens if your wrench does that. Some don't though, so just screw 'em nice and snug and they should be fine. It takes a lot of rotations for them to actually go anywhere, if they would ever come loose, which I've never even heard someone mention. I've certainly never had it happen.

I've been periodically taking the wrench and checking the tightness on both the hosel and the weights. Hosel has needed snugging up a couple times, weights have been fine.

So I have tried to stay away from this one, but I think its going to end up in the bag. The biggest thing for me is the forgiveness low on the face I am seeing. Think it will get paired with the Project X Riptide which just seems near perfect for me (thanks @DB TT ) :ROFLMAO:

Having
So I have tried to stay away from this one, but I think its going to end up in the bag. The biggest thing for me is the forgiveness low on the face I am seeing. Think it will get paired with the Project X Riptide which just seems near perfect for me (thanks @DB TT ) :ROFLMAO:

Short shaft = no low strike! :geek:

Once again the Mavrik/riptide combo played well for me today. Quite windy and wet turf, garmin had me avg 240 carry off the tee today. The big thing, my misses were playable. Total game changer for me, and shot my best round this year today.

Once again the Mavrik/riptide combo played well for me today. Quite windy and wet turf, garmin had me avg 240 carry off the tee today. The big thing, my misses were playable. Total game changer for me, and shot my best round this year today.

I really like this combo.

I really like this combo.

I struggled with it at first (mostly because of a swing flaw), but did not get along with it.Had a quick lesson, and then a range session with various shafts, and it put all the other shafts on notice.

So I played today with an experimental 44.5" shaft setup and it was quite successful. With the exception of an embarrassing cold top off the 2nd tee, I hit the driver incredibly well all day. The course I played today is one I played in college and I play maybe 3-5 times per season. I have hit some incredible drives (for me) on the course and I'm happy to report the Mav shortie setup was equal to any of the longest drives I've had there, in recent memory.

The 44.5" setup is a bit odd for me on course, but I settled in quite well. I may tweak the weight just a hair lighter, as it is a smidge sledge hammer-like atm. I may trim one other backup shaft I have and see how it feels.
I don't have the heart yet to trim the Ventus shaft.

So I played today with an experimental 44.5" shaft setup and it was quite successful. With the exception of an embarrassing cold top off the 2nd tee, I hit the driver incredibly well all day. The course I played today is one I played in college and I play maybe 3-5 times per season. I have hit some incredible drives (for me) on the course and I'm happy to report the Mav shortie setup was equal to any of the longest drives I've had there, in recent memory.

The 44.5" setup is a bit odd for me on course, but I settled in quite well. I may tweak the weight just a hair lighter, as it is a smidge sledge hammer-like atm. I may trim one other backup shaft I have and see how it feels.
I don't have the heart yet to trim the Ventus shaft.

Sounds like a good combo for you. How was the consistency and distance compared to the previous shaft?

Sounds like a good combo for you. How was the consistency and distance compared to the previous shaft?
Ha! Well in fairness, the Ventus shaft was great. o_O

Stats from 3 rounds with GolfPad. Pretty good driving accuracy, given that the tour average is like 61-65%

I'm pretty happy with the riptide 6.0 50g, but I does feel a little light sometimes. Will be trying a Ventus blue 6s soon!
3713d9f3519e52eab49ba371b23be277.jpg

Had a much better driving day today with the Blue Ventus set at N/S 10.5° Still had a few misses right but all playable except for one that I stuck behind a tree. Big thing was no bad pull hooks.

For anyone gaming the SZ, have you invested in a weight kit?
As I’ve had a chance to dig into different weight setups, it has been really interesting. Finding that a bit more weight up front makes the driver feel more powerful and sound a smidge even better. This is a fun driver to tinker with. The Diamana 44.5” with 6g front, 16g rear is excellent.
Tomorrow gonna try the Ventus with 6g front and 14g rear.

As I’ve had a chance to dig into different weight setups, it has been really interesting. Finding that a bit more weight up front makes the driver feel more powerful and sound a smidge even better. This is a fun driver to tinker with. The Diamana 44.5” with 6g front, 16g rear is excellent.

Yes, I have a 3, 5, 7, 9, and 17 gram weight to tinker with. I did some messing around with them then ended up adding lead so I could get the weight further out toward the toe. Once I’m really set on how I want the weight I’ll probably go back to the stock weights and use hot melt to get it to where I like it.

It's fun to play around with it. I've tried a ton of configurations.

I play mine with more weight up front than back, but I've found/heard of very few people playing that setup.

It constantly amazes me how moving the weights changes the sound.

Yes, I have a 3, 5, 7, 9, and 17 gram weight to tinker with. I did some messing around with them then ended up adding lead so I could get the weight further out toward the toe. Once I’m really set on how I want the weight I’ll probably go back to the stock weights and use hot melt to get it to where I like it.
Ha! I have some lead on the toe too!

Ha! I have some lead on the toe too!

I need all the help I can get out there. I’m thinking of pulling the stock heavy weight, putting the 9 in its spot and adding more lead! We’ll see how it goes Monday when I play, that will determine what I do.

@Cinco 's post made me look, and I feel okay posting it because he's rocking close to 60% fairways, but you know how I rave about how neutral the SZ head is????

20200528_171541.jpg

Well it doesn't get more neutral than that! Lol

This is why I struggle to reach for a different driver even if I bring one. LOVE that Sub Zero.

Last edited:
I continue to see it. Low on the face misses this is the best driver I have tried in recent memory.

I didn’t think it would best Flash, but that miss might so just that.

@Cinco 's post made me look, and I feel okay posting it because he's rocking close to 60% fairways, but you know how I rave about how neutral the SZ head is????

View attachment 8945285

Well it doesn't get more neutral than that! Lol

This is why I struggle to reach for a different driver even if I bring one. LOVE that Sub Zero.
That's pretty accurate! Time to go for your tour card!

That's pretty accurate! Time to go for your tour card!
Yeah no.

The Sub Zero is doing fine on tour without me.

Going to give these another go, this time with a Kinetixx setup. They just keep getting shots at the throne....

Had a pretty good day with the Mavrik yesterday. Was hitting some pretty good bombs with it. Nice mid flight. Getting more and more confident with it each round.

Feels amazing, so consistent across the face, and it just flat out performs.

Back