Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

New on the USGA Conforming Clubs list - @CallawayGolf Mavrik Sub Zero LS Triple Diamond drivers.
Yeah, guessing the LS is for Low Spin.....which kinda goes against one of my reasons for wanting a typical TripD.

Sounds cool for the low spin lovers though!

I really like this driver. I had several drives today past 250, and two over 270. Those are big numbers for me.

New on the USGA Conforming Clubs list - @CallawayGolf Mavrik Sub Zero LS Triple Diamond drivers.
Man, they've got all the options covered for their tour staff, no doubt. So many models. I used to get frustrated seeing that. But, the more I think of it. They have the AI tech to make all these different models to cater to their tour staff. Why wouldn't they take advantage to out their tour staff in optimal equipment. Some people may get frustrated with these options not being available at retail. But, could you imagine the SKU nightmare it would be to have these kind of options readily available?

At the very least, they're making the most popular tour head available again, even if it is limited, they're making it available.

Man, they've got all the options covered for their tour staff, no doubt. So many models. I used to get frustrated seeing that. But, the more I think of it. They have the AI tech to make all these different models to cater to their tour staff. Why wouldn't they take advantage to out their tour staff in optimal equipment. Some people may get frustrated with these options not being available at retail. But, could you imagine the SKU nightmare it would be to have these kind of options readily available?

At the very least, they're making the most popular tour head available again, even if it is limited, they're making it available.
I’m also cool with it, but will say it is almost false advertising-ish to then imply the guy who won the event played a model a normal guy can actually get a hold of. I get it, just sayin...

It has been raining all weekend so I decided to go to the indoor simulator place to try a Tensei Pro Orange in my Std. Mavrik head. I like getting the numbers from a launch monitor but I tend to swing too hard like i am trying to ring the bell at the county fair.

I would like to be able to get some useful data to compare heads and shafts but I just cannot get comfortable indoors. If I had a home setup that I used all the time I believe I would see more consistent results. So I smashed drives into the screen for about an hour and this was my best shot.

20200622_115948.jpg

The Std. Mavrik is a bomber for me when I am swinging well and the forgiving face keeps the ball speed up especially on toe side strikes. I struggle with a hook and the Std. seems to have some draw bias which works against me when I get the lefts. I have heard the Sub Zero is fade biased and the reviews here say the face is plenty forgiving so I am going to give it a try. I hope it takes some spin off as well. The sound and feel of the Std. is the best of any driver I have ever hit so I am hoping the Sub Zero feels good too.

I hit the ball very high with my 815 with a Fubuki ZT 60 stiff. I am thinking of going with standard Mavrik in 9 degree with rogue white 60 regular or smoke black in same specs. I am probably borderline reg/stiff shaft and thought about getting either tipped a little to maybe get to a firm. I like the 2 weight in sz but think regular Mavrik would be better for me. My drives can range from 238 if I hit a good one but try to hit it straight or up to 288 if I swing fast but it can be unpredictable (thank God above for these ranges which are all good for me). Can you guys give me suggestions probably won’t get a fitting for one reason or another. Thanks so much for help I do appreciate it especially if you have hit these specific shafts in reg or stiff.

I hit the ball very high with my 815 with a Fubuki ZT 60 stiff. I am thinking of going with standard Mavrik in 9 degree with rogue white 60 regular or smoke black in same specs. I am probably borderline reg/stiff shaft and thought about getting either tipped a little to maybe get to a firm. I like the 2 weight in sz but think regular Mavrik would be better for me. My drives can range from 238 if I hit a good one but try to hit it straight or up to 288 if I swing fast but it can be unpredictable (thank God above for these ranges which are all good for me). Can you guys give me suggestions probably won’t get a fitting for one reason or another. Thanks so much for help I do appreciate it especially if you have hit these specific shafts in reg or stiff.
I have hit the 70 gram Rogue White stiff and am currently using the 80 gram Smoke Black stiff. The Rogue White will launch noticeably higher than the Smoke Black. I find the center better with the Smoke Black but the White was very stable as well.

Thanks I appreciate the info. I already launch the ball pretty high so that concerns me some about the rogue white.

Thanks I appreciate the info. I already launch the ball pretty high so that concerns me some about the rogue white.
The Rogue White is readily available and cheap because its the stock shaft in the Mavrik if you wanted to try it later.

Today was the best driving day I've had in weeks. I really focused on tempo, and while slowing down may have cost me some top-end yardage, I was so consistent off the tee with the Mavrik/Ventus Blue combo while still plenty long. I'm glad I rolled with the Blue today, because it was windy out, and the Blue produced a very piercing, mid-flight. I'm really, really starting to like that combo.

I am hitting the Callaway Mavrik Max, Aldila Synergy 5.0 43.5”.

Mavrik Max.jpg

The look of this head with the Bronze Pearl finish and Black Matte Carbon top is just a marvel at my address. The build exudes a premium appearance. Since the middle of May, I have been working on adjustments with the weights, tweaking here and there and after a change, I put in an 18g in the front with a 4g in the back. This weight setup has kept my drives more left/center and has helped with my larger right fades.

I have to post about the sound of this driver. The sound produced from the Mavrik is so pleasant. It's just a smooth Thwack. I mean it's very smooth and crisp to my ear. I would say much more pleasant than my past Rogue driver or my Epic Flash 3 wood. I have played many drivers that were a ting sound or loud off the face. Callaway has clearly heard from us as consumers on how important sound is and they accomplished that with the sound the Mavrik produces.

However, the most important aspect is the performance of any driver. This is where the Max distinguishes itself from other drivers I have used in the past. I have not been able to get the driver on a simulator yet (love the coronavirus shut down) to see ball speed and launch characteristics, but I am no fool I can see the difference in distance. After adjustments with the weights and some extra range time, I am reaching areas with which I have not in the past. My Arccos data has increased my range to 230 from 226 in the long area and I have hit my longest drive since I started using the Arccos Caddie for a distance of 260. Below are a couple of examples to show the differences I am seeing.

Arccos Max Driver.JPG

In the two examples above, both doglegs, the holes are not incredibly long by any means, but both have trees blocking the turn. With my past drivers, I have consistently had to aim much more on the opposite side of the fairway to give myself an angle to hit a long iron or hybrid into the green. This also leads to issues if I missed my line giving me a much harder option to reach the green. With the Mavrik Max, I have been able to go more toward the bend to shorten the hole giving me a chance to use a short iron to the green.

The last thing to post about is the Flash Face on the Mavrik. From my understanding, the new AI has run many more configurations to develop the most forgiving club to date for Callaway. I can attest to needing that forgiveness. My Arccos Caddie had my range from 200 (short) to 226 (long) with my old smart distance 213 and my longest drive 248. Besides my earlier mentioning of distance, I have noticed my off-center hits getting that few extra yards and holding the line toward the center more. Numbers today read 200 (short) to 230 (long), a smart distance of 219, and as I already stated my longest drive of 260.

The Max has a combination of pure sound, looks, and performance that gives any golfer an exhilarating feeling off the tee. With less than two months in the books, I can easily see why the hype and so many here on THP are trumpeting this driver as the one to have in 2020. Put me in that group to all who I play with and post here on the forums. Callaway has hit a home run with the Mavrik.

Last edited:
It has been raining all weekend so I decided to go to the indoor simulator place to try a Tensei Pro Orange in my Std. Mavrik head. I like getting the numbers from a launch monitor but I tend to swing too hard like i am trying to ring the bell at the county fair.

I would like to be able to get some useful data to compare heads and shafts but I just cannot get comfortable indoors. If I had a home setup that I used all the time I believe I would see more consistent results. So I smashed drives into the screen for about an hour and this was my best shot.

View attachment 8950219

The Std. Mavrik is a bomber for me when I am swinging well and the forgiving face keeps the ball speed up especially on toe side strikes. I struggle with a hook and the Std. seems to have some draw bias which works against me when I get the lefts. I have heard the Sub Zero is fade biased and the reviews here say the face is plenty forgiving so I am going to give it a try. I hope it takes some spin off as well. The sound and feel of the Std. is the best of any driver I have ever hit so I am hoping the Sub Zero feels good too.

You my friend sound like me and likely would really benefit from the Mav SZ triple diamond. If you can track one down.

You my friend sound like me and likely would really benefit from the Mav SZ triple diamond. If you can track one down.
Aren't those things like a bazillion dollars? Surely my swing can be tamed with a driver made for mortals.

Aren't those things like a bazillion dollars? Surely my swing can be tamed with a driver made for mortals.
No, same $499 price, from my current knowledge.

The Trip D head is in theory......a more "mortal" friendly head. It spins a little more than the standard SZ head. It has a bit deeper shape and more square looking top line.

Haven't been driving the ball very well the last few times I have been out. Have some garbage creeping up in my swing. Dropping my right elbow way too much. Going to hopefully play tonight if the weather holds up. Going to try and dial back. First big tournament (relatively speaking) this weekend. Club Match Play Tournament. Going to need to be on top of my game going into this tree lined course looking for blood. I know as long as I put a decent swing and square the face, the Mavrik will keep me in play.

Even with the poor driving, I have to say that things could be a lot worse. I have been catching it a little on the toe side and I just don't lose a lot of distance on those. It's pretty cool to feel crappy contact, look up and see the ball drawing back into the fairway.

At the moment, I'm enjoying the Mavrik Max with the Project X Riptide 50 g. I bought it to hit bombs, and it hits them.

My last driver was what Trevino called an "Airport driver." You hit it for the first two rounds then head for the airport.

Haven't been driving the ball very well the last few times I have been out. Have some garbage creeping up in my swing. Dropping my right elbow way too much. Going to hopefully play tonight if the weather holds up. Going to try and dial back. First big tournament (relatively speaking) this weekend. Club Match Play Tournament. Going to need to be on top of my game going into this tree lined course looking for blood. I know as long as I put a decent swing and square the face, the Mavrik will keep me in play.

Even with the poor driving, I have to say that things could be a lot worse. I have been catching it a little on the toe side and I just don't lose a lot of distance on those. It's pretty cool to feel crappy contact, look up and see the ball drawing back into the fairway.
The toe is like a get out of jail free card.

At the moment, I'm enjoying the Mavrik Max with the Project X Riptide 50 g. I bought it to hit bombs, and it hits them.

My last driver was what Trevino called an "Airport driver." You hit it for the first two rounds then head for the airport.

I have a friend that is playing this exact combo and absolutely loves it.

No, same $499 price, from my current knowledge.

The Trip D head is in theory......a more "mortal" friendly head. It spins a little more than the standard SZ head. It has a bit deeper shape and more square looking top line.
Is there a picture of this Triple Diamond SZ Mavrik somewhere... Now I'm interested.

This has been the best driver i've owned and I'm very happy with the HZRDUS Smoke shaft in Regular Flex.

I've gotten to the point that if I'm playing a Par 4 at 310 yards or 410 yards. I'm hitting driver every single time.

I'm going to be playing in a scramble with my brother this weekend and I may have to give his Sub Zero a few swings. I'm getting kind of curious what a Sub Zero and Riptide combination could do for me.

The Mav SZ with the GD AD IZ Has been a monster for me. Dispersion is good. Keeps frame from over turning it left when I go at it and I can hit a fade when needed. The head is super long while also being very forgiving for a SZ model. Great pairing for me this far.

Back