Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

Did you think of notice that the stock Riptide shaft launches a bit higher? I have the same Ventus shaft and seems to have a bit lower ball flight in the 9* head. (Max) Could be from the lower spin ventus shaft but unsure.

I absolutely find the Riptide to launch higher and spin a bit more than the Blue Ventus.

How much draw bias are people seeing out the Max?

I would be concerned if it is too much since my bad miss is a hook but I watched Mark Crossfield's video on it and he proved that you can still fade it. I know it is only a 2g weight in the heel if you go the Max forgiveness setting which is exactly what I would play it in but it is 1* more upright.

I would be concerned if it is too much since my bad miss is a hook but I watched Mark Crossfield's video on it and he proved that you can still fade it. I know it is only a 2g weight in the heel if you go the Max forgiveness setting which is exactly what I would play it in but it is 1* more upright.

I have a Flash 12* usually set to+2/D and today hit the Max 12*. even at -1* the face seemed to sit much more closed than the Flash at +2/D. . I drew the ball much more with the Max than with my Epic.

Last edited:

I play mine with the heavy weight ( 14g) in the heel and 2g weight in the back position. You can still fade a ball easy enough it that is what you want to do. If you swap the weights you will have some more forgiveness but you will also have more spin so there is a trade off.
Doesn't matter how much weight is in the heel, a bad swing OTT is still going to slice.
Only time I have noticed pull hooks is if I come thru and have the face shut closed.

I get the hooks a couple times a round with the Max, doesn't bother me, I roll with it. I'll just aim further right if I know it's going to be doing that. Whatever I have going that round I roll with it.

Playing a 9 Degree Standard (custom), just set at neutral. Have been switching back and forth between the Riptide and a Blue Ventus for now. Both shafts work really well in it but play a little differently.

I tried both and went RipTide and it is such a great mid launch shaft.
I think I will end up with the Paderson Kinetixx Velocity however.

I tried both and went RipTide and it is such a great mid launch shaft.
I think I will end up with the Paderson Kinetixx Velocity however.

I've enjoyed the Riptide a lot. Very nice feel and ballflight. Think thats a great stock offering.

I play mine with the heavy weight ( 14g) in the heel and 2g weight in the back position. You can still fade a ball easy enough it that is what you want to do. If you swap the weights you will have some more forgiveness but you will also have more spin so there is a trade off.
Doesn't matter how much weight is in the heel, a bad swing OTT is still going to slice.
Only time I have noticed pull hooks is if I come thru and have the face shut closed.
My miss prior to the Mavrik Max was a hook. A push was the result of OTT bad swings and like Snickerdog said nothing will fix those. It also occurred to me while watching the pros even they have the occasional hang it out way right so when it happens just gotta move on.I also think those were partially a result of bad ball position.( there is a great thread on ball position in the swing tips thread and it has already helped me). Coming into the Mavrik i had the same draw bias concern as you gmiller598 but the guys in this thread and their reviews convinced me it wouldnt be a problem. I experimented yesterday and for the first time put the adapter in the stated loft 9 degrees draw setting on the course while actually playing. Combined with my focus on a pre shot routine for consistent ball position i had some of my best drives of the season and no hooks.I had been playing it in the stated neutral position but i was experimenting with shafts at the range the night before and the draw position with the heavy weight in the back worked best for me. Cant say enough good things about the Mavrik Max.

My round this weekend I pulled driver 8 times and hit 6 fairways. The two I missed were both well struck shots. One missed the fairway and about a foot, and the other just out drove the dogleg. The funny thing is I wasn't feeling like I struck it well off the tee. But with how forgiving this driver is, what I felt like were horrible shots were still in the fairway and quite a ways out there.

I went back and forth between Standard and Max. Now I’m back to Max.
I didn’t notice any draw bias on Max at all. Standard might be fade bias compare to Max but it’s not hooking for me at all. I do sometimes hit a pull but it’s not the club. I do that if I try to kill it. Max might be design as draw bias club but I think you need to set it as extreme draw setting.
I play it as standard setting it’s been working fine for my needs.
I had difficulty hitting my usual launch angle with standard so I’m back to Max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went back and forth between Standard and Max. Now I’m back to Max.
I didn’t notice any draw bias on Max at all. Standard might be fade bias compare to Max but it’s not hooking for me at all. I do sometimes hit a pull but it’s not the club. I do that if I try to kill it. Max might be design as draw bias club but I think you need to set it as extreme draw setting.
I play it as standard setting it’s been working fine for my needs.
I had difficulty hitting my usual launch angle with standard so I’m back to Max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The way it was laid out to us was Max=Draw bias, Standard=slight Draw bias, and SZ=neutral. At least I don't think the SZ was touted as fade biased, just more fade biased than the standard and Max.

I’ve never had so much fun hitting a driver. The Mavrik standard just fits my swing so well. Last week I hit every fairways and carded a 71.

I just love the feel and the ball flight it produces for me. Mid bullets that goes to where I want. This is going to be a fun season.

You can still fade it, trust me. If you out the heavy weight in the heel it will want to go right (as designed) but overall it’s not an automatic go left kind of driver.

Over the last week or so I have read a lot of these posts, in addition to watching YouTube videos and reading elsewhere on reviews. I was about ready to order the standard version with 44.5 Rogue White reg flex maybe tipped 3/4” of an intro firm it up a little and maybe D3 sw. I already hit the ball what seems very high. But it seems like at least 8 out of 10 posts about the max or sz. How many play the standard version and how much forgiveness do you lose with sz? I don’t seem to slice as much, thank the Good Lord, as I used to, but I also never even try to go 90% but would like to on occasion. I like the squarer face of the sz and more adjustability too. But I can push the ball and hook the ball and sometimes thankfully knock it down the middle. So what do you think, not getting fitted for a variety of reasons, so stick with standard? Thanks
How much is hard to say, but you lose some forgiveness with the SZ compared to the standard. The SZ is amazingly forgiving for what it is, but the standard is moreso. Without being fit I'd lean toward the standard. It's fast, forgiving, sounds great, and doesn't spin or launch all that much differently from the SZ.

I was looking at these today and is the standard Mavrik more upright than the sub zero? To me it looked like it was quite a bit

I was looking at these today and is the standard Mavrik more upright than the sub zero? To me it looked like it was quite a bit
The Callaway specs show 2*

SZ - 56*
Standard - 58*
Max is 59*

Reactions: MH
Finally got around to putting my Attas cool 7x back into play after getting a Callaway tip put on. I ended up caving and picking up the Standard driver as well, to side by side test with the Max. Because......why not. With a shaft I’m comfortable using I was able to have a few great drives, it’s very forgiving akin to the Max but it’s definitely a a different beast entirely. Going to start mixing things up and putting the Attas into the Max next round and see how that goes as well.

Oh yeah. It really jumps out at some people (like me, lol). I put a tour flat adapter on my favorite shaft for that head, and it still seemed like a lot.

Reactions: MH
I think it's 2 degrees more upright.

Edit to state that I was late to the party and this has already been answered :)

How much is hard to say, but you lose some forgiveness with the SZ compared to the standard. The SZ is amazingly forgiving for what it is, but the standard is moreso. Without being fit I'd lean toward the standard. It's fast, forgiving, sounds great, and doesn't spin or launch all that much differently from the SZ.
Thanks so much for taking time to share your experiences with these clubs. I am back to leaning toward the standard version again after your suggestion. I think that would be the better choice of the two for me. May God bless you and thanks again

So more” Come to Jesus” moments with my Mavrik SZ today. Kudos to @Alez367 for helping me out. Settled on D/+1 with the weight in the back. Settled on HZRDUS Yellow 6.0 playing 45”. Just tamed this driver down to nice straight bombs.

I hit some really good drives today. For a few weeks my driver was costing me strokes like crazy. Today, it was a weapon. Still some other things to work on. But, things are starting to shape up.

Into the wind, shaping it, and some big bombs. It was doing it all.

I got out tonight after work and was able to hit some drivers, wanted to try it out with the heavy weight back and light weight in the heel. Still gave me a nice ball flight but seemed it would move a bit more right (fade) easier. I could probably play it this way and take the extra forgiveness but would prefer to not have that easy of a fade. I can hit a fade when the situation calls for it even with the heavy weight in the heel.

Anyone order the a Mavrik triple diamond?

Last edited:
Back