Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

It's probably because it's only changing the effective loft. A guy has a way of offsetting that change mentally without realizing it.

I typically only change the loft if I'm trying to correct an open or closed face at impact. Not trying to really adjust the launch.
Same here, and something has to be pretty out of whack for me to want to play with the face. I have consciously tried, and been handed clubs blind, and I just can't make them fly the same at the same 'adjusted' loft though. More so with some others, but not my Sub Zeros. Kind of irks me in a weird way. Because I shouldn't care since I don't play with it adjusted, but I do! lol

I think part of it is the open/closed issue. Lofting down the 10.5 by 1 degree and that face opens slightly always bothered me because of my right miss. But with the 9 degree and adding 1 up to go to 10 degree and closing the face slightly give me confidence that I will be back to square at impact and less likely to fade/slice the ball hard. Hope that makes sense.
As @radiman said it could be an unconscious effort of a different swing plane when we do this.
Yeah, absolutely does. I only ever play mine down to open up and avoid my left miss, but that's rare. That's part of why I started this year with a 10.5, same as you. I wanted to be able to loft it down when needed. Flies too high though. Just completely different animals, imo.

Tonight I'm going to head to the range and do some serious testing between the Atmos Blue, KBS TD and Rogue 110 shafts to see what might fit me the best. I've never really tinkered with shafts but I'm excited to see how they respond in this head for me.
I had never hit the Rogue White but ordered it with my Max. I have the Atmos Blue . I went back and forth a couple times as well as experimented with the settings. After all that i stuck with the Atmos Blue TS because for me at least it just feels great and performs. If i didnt have the Atmos Blue im sure i would have been happy with the Rogue White as that also is an excellent shaft.

I had never hit the Rogue White but ordered it with my Max. I have the Atmos Blue . I went back and forth a couple times as well as experimented with the settings. After all that i stuck with the Atmos Blue TS because for me at least it just feels great and performs. If i didnt have the Atmos Blue im sure i would have been happy with the Rogue White as that also is an excellent shaft.
I forgot a have a KuroKage Silver to try too. That just got done having a Callaway adapter put on it and I don't think I'll have time to get to the golf store to pick it up tonight though.

Decided to tip up the Blue Ventus for the Mav TripD! Let the battle begin!!! Two shaft enter, one shaft leave! *

*Although not really, hells no I’m selling either one! Lol

AD26D4DD-BF14-4287-B594-D91ADC6D244A.jpeg

Where did you get it? Interesting that some people are getting spec stickers and such on their heads. Mine came from Fairway Golf USA. They essentially turned the order in to Callaway who built it. It has the white Dot in the face. But, didn't have any specifics listed.

Mine is coming in from Peoples Golf. I'm not sure it'll have a spec sticker, but Will picked through (and measured!) his heads to find one that best fit the specs I was looking for (slightly upright, heavy, open, and close to 10.5). His customer service is absolutely top notch!

Decided to tip up the Blue Ventus for the Mav TripD! Let the battle begin!!! Two shaft enter, one shaft leave! *

View attachment 8955496
If that blue wins, that red would pair really nicely with a Mav 3 wood. Just saying 😛

If that blue wins, that red would pair really nicely with a Mav 3 wood. Just saying 😛

Don't you worry......those wheels have been turning for some time....

Soooo......guess one shaft will leave! :oops::oops:

View attachment 8955496

Well, which one? Lol

Sorry, was at the range when I typed that.

Well, the Blue is too much for my swing I think (especially given the one inch of tipping). I thought it might have been the combo with the Sim Max, but now I'm thinking it is simply the shaft itself. I suspect part of it is the shaft being a bit too stiff for me, but also the softer butt section of the shaft (compared to the Red 7X having a stiffer butt section). This makes sense to me, since I can get quick in transition. This also, I think, explains why I feel that I lose the shaft some in transition. I had the same feeling with it in the Sim Max.

Anyway, Red all day for me right now.

I also note that my Blue setup is a half inch longer than my Red setup, so there could be something there as well. I maaaaay try and trim them to identical playing length.....or will likely just move on and sell off my Blue. Stick with the Red. The Red is pretty darn solid for me.

I also had a few other experiments during my range visit, but I'll leave those out of here. An old flame may get a shot back at the bag.

Sub Zero heard the whispers and decided to show up big today. 288 avg in soft wet conditions and all but 1 fairway, which was on me. Got a little excited and snapped one off. Worked both ways beautifully, and helped me out on a heely one (second in two outings :/), so she can keep her spot in the bag all to herself for now.

Last edited:
Looking forward to your driver feedback as I as well play an Epic Flash SZ and with demoing almost nonexistent up here, I am not sure if the Mavrik SZ or the standard is for me. Typically I am a high spin player which is why I was fit into the SZ although it was indoors and I don’t hit sh** indoors very well.

So I took out the Mavrik finally and holy hell she is long and forgiving. I played the Links at Summerly and I cut the corner on ten which means TROUBLE but the Mavrik was 30 yards longer and put me in position for an easy reach on a par 5 in two. The thing I most noticed was I hit it all over the face and she stayed in play and was LONG. I love the shape of the Epic Flash SZ but legitimately noticed extra distance and forgiveness from the standard Mavrik all over the face. I hit one high off the toe and I thought I hit the middle she felt that good. Looking forward to more on course testing and will report back later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One other thing is I ordered direct
From Callaway and requested 3/4” shorter than standard and a D-4 swingweight and Callaway delivered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great day with the Max today. Hit all but 2 fairways today but even those that missed were long and not really in trouble. I’m super impressed with this driver having never found a driver that I could hit.. I’m easily hitting 275-300 yard consistently.

Really getting to love my Mavrik SZ. At least for right now I'm leaving the heavier of the two weights in the back. Like the medium ball flight I'm getting right now. Think I'm getting between 15-20 yards more distance with the Oban Kiyoshi HB shaft I put on the club. It won't be leaving the bag anytime soon I think. ;)

Played in 15-20mph winds today and this driver continues to impress. Plenty of long drives into the wind and one that was 281 with the wind. The ball flight is a nice medium high that gets some roll when it lands.

Played in 15-20mph winds today and this driver continues to impress. Plenty of long drives into the wind and one that was 281 with the wind. The ball flight is a nice medium high that gets some roll when it lands.
I hit a really, really nice drive with some wind today. 327 yards is good right? :oops:

I hit a really, really nice drive with some wind today. 327 yards is good right? :oops:

You still are short of what Dechambeau hits the ball off the tee. :LOL:

Hands down best purchase of 2020
Mavrik 💎💎💎
Still want to play with the weights but I’m thinking why?? 💣 💣💣

My game has taken a short break lately for some reason. I've been looking for it for a couple weeks now and think I may have stumbled on it on the back nine today.

The Mavrik has been huge in keeping me somewhat in position when I likely have no business having a chance on some holes.

My game has taken a short break lately for some reason. I've been looking for it for a couple weeks now and think I may have stumbled on it on the back nine today.

The Mavrik has been huge in keeping me somewhat in position when I likely have no business having a chance on some holes.
This is me just the confidence with it.

Are people finding the Mavrik SZ much better than the Epic Flash SZ? Debating buying a used Epic Flash SZ and saving some money. Coming from an M3.

Are people finding the Mavrik SZ much better than the Epic Flash SZ? Debating buying a used Epic Flash SZ and saving some money. Coming from an M3.
Epic Flash Sub Zeros a great Head. They are still going for top dollar around our area if you can find one grab it

I played a new course today and it was tighter than it would appear given it’s a resort course. I’m not sure what happened but my fade decided to take the day off and the draw set up shop today. I hit some nice 10 yard draws and one that helped me to the longest drove to date with the Mavrik Max. 289yds is a long drive for me. The best part is I’m still loving the forgiveness on drives that aren’t struck center.

A142171C-C077-4353-966F-9AC01869956C.jpeg

Back