Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

I got my first round in with my new Mavrik SZ today and overall it was impressive on a day when I didn't have my best stuff. Winds were under 10mph today and the two takeaways are: This driver is easier to work right to left than my GBB Epic SZ(could be the shaft but I doubt it), and misses are longer by about 10 yards. I only hit it on the screws twice and those seem to be about 3-5 yards longer than my old Epic SZ as well. I had a lot of misses that still got out there 270ish so I'm excited for more with this club!

Had a solid round yesterday first one in a while.
Hit 11 fairways long and straight.
Game was so much easier with that simple formula.
Maverick Max is not going anywhere for many many years.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Well, I'm back to hitting fairways, though not as consistently or predictably as I'd like. The change to an overlap grip is still taking some getting used to with my driver although it's fantastic with irons. Still, the forgiveness of this driver has been amazing in spite of the strike inconsistency that has accompanied my grip change. This was best demonstrated in my last round when I struck the ball low on the driver face and toe side on the Par 4 8th at my home course. I expected the ball to spin up and start turning hard left, but surprisingly I hit one of the longest low draws I can remember. It put me in fantastic shape for my 2nd shot, over the water and into the green. I still got enough feedback to identify strike location, but it still sounded and felt solid. Weird, but I'm happy. Mavrik is a beast!

Searched through the thread as best I could and it looks like the stock weight in the standard head is 5g. My head from CPO has a 2g weight in it and although I'd be surprised if I could tell a 3 gram difference, the head does seem to feel lighter than my EF. I'm going to reach out to Callaway customer service and see if they could send me the stock 5g weight to try. My 3 wood also has a 2g in it but I haven't researched that to see if that's what it came with as well.

I do love the sound of this club and it is just effortless to hit. Still getting used to the rogue white combo vs my smoke EF I was playing before. Hopefully others can confirm the stock weight is indeed 5g.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Good day with the Max again, 10/14 fairways. Misses where all playable and didn't get me into any trouble.

Searched through the thread as best I could and it looks like the stock weight in the standard head is 5g. My head from CPO has a 2g weight in it and although I'd be surprised if I could tell a 3 gram difference, the head does seem to feel lighter than my EF. I'm going to reach out to Callaway customer service and see if they could send me the stock 5g weight to try. My 3 wood also has a 2g in it but I haven't researched that to see if that's what it came with as well.

I do love the sound of this club and it is just effortless to hit. Still getting used to the rogue white combo vs my smoke EF I was playing before. Hopefully others can confirm the stock weight is indeed 5g.

Technically yes, the stock weight would be 5g. If yours is 2g and came from Callaway it was likely done for swing weight reasons based on the shaft, length, and grip you chose. Trying to match the stock SW instead of stock insert weight.

The tour sleeve has been put on the Mavrik Sub SZ and it has transformed this club! It went from 3015 rpm and 285 total with the heavy weight in the back at -1N setting. I then put the heavy weight in the front at -1N setting and it got better 2800 spin and 295 total yardage.
I got on the launch monitor with the -2D and the numbers were amazing! Got the spin down to just over 2000 and 325 total.
1EEEEC2A-0C7D-4E39-8B06-500AEFED776E.jpeg73A49FE5-88D9-40F9-AD95-23D0BE18C219.png

I continue to get asked what driver I’m playing when I’m on the course. Some still haven’t heard of the Mavrik but every person who has actually hit it either loves it or plays it already. It’s just that good.

that’s crazy. i see an enormous number of mav drivers on the course.

i’m still struggling with the mav max. but i haven’t figured out if i’m just struggling with my driver swing at the moment. and by at the moment i mean for the last 10 months.

that’s crazy. i see an enormous number of mav drivers on the course.

i’m still struggling with the mav max. but i haven’t figured out if i’m just struggling with my driver swing at the moment. and by at the moment i mean for the last 10 months.
I do see a lot of them in bags, probably more than any other OEM drivers releases in 2020. It’s when people see mine, it feels like either 1 of 2 extremes....they either are playing it as well or haven’t heard of it, which is quite a complement

I finally saw one here this morning. Looked like a standard. I've seen a few in AR, but had never spotted one in this part of NE. I think the retail availability is everything.

My Sub Zero mostly tolerated my misalignment shenanigans today. So that was nice.

Technically yes, the stock weight would be 5g. If yours is 2g and came from Callaway it was likely done for swing weight reasons based on the shaft, length, and grip you chose. Trying to match the stock SW instead of stock insert weight.
It came from callaway pre-owned and had a jumbo grip on it which is why I even though to check it out (same swing weight reason you mentioned). I swapped a different rogue white shaft in with the stock tour velvet grip and it feels like the head is a little light. Appreciate your input, I'm hoping Callaway will send me a stock 5g weight to try.

The Max did pretty good today in the wind but I had to try to keep the ball flight down and that’s hard for me to do with my swing. Might be time to try a Standard and see how it does.

After a scare with my Ventus Red, I plugged the Ventus Blue back into the Mavrik. The first 9 did not go well. I hit some long ones but I was all over the place. But then I started putting a smooth swing on the ball on the back 9, and I was seeing ideal ball flight. In super windy conditions today, that same setup and swing produced tremendous results. Even squeaked out my career long: 304. When I just let the club do the work, it performs better than any driver I’ve previously played.

Anyone gaming the standard Mavrik in the 12* Head? Not the Max. That was an utter hook show for me. Unfortunately none of the shops or fitting centers around here have the std Mav head in 12* to demo. 🤨

Played 9 holes today, and on a couple holes I've been in spots longer than I've been all year. Worth the move from Epic Flash to Mavrik for me.

Played 9 holes today, and on a couple holes I've been in spots longer than I've been all year. Worth the move from Epic Flash to Mavrik for me.

That’s been the eye opener to me: playing from spots I’ve never played before. That long one I had today I just kept driving and said to my cartmate, “wait, I’m up there!?” I was quite surprised by the yardage I got with what felt just like a smooth swing.

Had a great round with the Mavrik this morning. Par five first hole I striped one right down the middle. The course I played has fairly wide fairways but you really need to hit a fade on three tee boxes. I normally hit less than driver on these holes to get over the trees on the right side but today I was feeling it and hit two nice fades right down the middle. I also pulled one into the lake on the left but hey two out of three is not bad. From the very first time I heard the sound of the standard Mavrik at the Grandaddy presentation I have been in love. Hearing it and feeling it while the ball rockets off the face is something I will never get tired of.

The tour sleeve has been put on the Mavrik Sub SZ and it has transformed this club! It went from 3015 rpm and 285 total with the heavy weight in the back at -1N setting. I then put the heavy weight in the front at -1N setting and it got better 2800 spin and 295 total yardage.
I got on the launch monitor with the -2D and the numbers were amazing! Got the spin down to just over 2000 and 325 total.
View attachment 8962071View attachment 8962072

Did you go with the D setting to avoid the face being too open having it at -2? I'm really intrigued by this. My fitter at the GD fit me into the green dot sleeve, but they didn't put it on. So I've just been playing it at -1/N. Now you have me thinking that I should try to find one though.

Did you go with the D setting to avoid the face being too open having it at -2? I'm really intrigued by this. My fitter at the GD fit me into the green dot sleeve, but they didn't put it on. So I've just been playing it at -1/N. Now you have me thinking that I should try to find one though.
I had set it not realizing it was in the D setting. I would have normally put it in the N setting. I would love to see how the D setting effects the face because I liked the ball flights I was getting with that setting.

I got it for $20 shipped on eBay so it was definitely worth it.

Started on page 1 and up to page 76! It's taken a while....

I went in to the local golf store and tried the SIM, Speedzone, and TS2. After a few rounds of hitting them and substituting in some different shafts, the TS2 was the clear winner. Most surprisingly, the Speedzone was the shortest of the bunch followed by SIM and then TS2. TS2 was also the best at keeping my hook miss under control and overall dispersion was the best. This part took a good 45 minutes.

Then the person helping me out handed me a club and said don't ask, just give it a try. It was the Callaway MAVRIK SZ 10.5 head with a GD IZ6X shaft set at -1/N. I immediately started getting 10-15 yards of carry and distance over the TS2.

My swingspeed was between 107-109 mph, ball speed in the mid-upper 150's (161 best), low 2,000's spin, 14-15 launch. These could be off a bit and I didn't see an average of the 20+ hits, but I think carry was in the range of 275-285 yards and total around 300 yards with best at 312 yards. Honestly felt like a great combination of high launch and low spin so that's good.

Now for the not so good. Almost every shot was a draw, but it seemed much easier to hook with this than either the TS2 or SIM. So the big question - are you finding this head to be less hook friendly than other heads by Callaway or others mfr's? I'd like to order the club, but that concern is holding me back. My current driver is a Titleist 913D3 9.5 with the Diamana D+ whiteboard stiff.

Any feedback you have on 'hookiness' of that head, shaft, or combination is appreciated.

Also, for those that loved the MAVRIK's (in the first 76 pages - maybe "honeymoon phase") but changed to a different driver in the same year (your what's in the bag showed different drivers), what went wrong?

Now back to my reading. I only have 64 pages to get caught up and maybe the answers are out there still!!

I went in to the local golf store and tried the SIM, Speedzone, and TS2. After a few rounds of hitting them and substituting in some different shafts, the TS2 was the clear winner. Most surprisingly, the Speedzone was the shortest of the bunch followed by SIM and then TS2. TS2 was also the best at keeping my hook miss under control and overall dispersion was the best. This part took a good 45 minutes.

Then the person helping me out handed me a club and said don't ask, just give it a try. It was the Callaway MAVRIK SZ 10.5 head with a GD IZ6X shaft set at -1/N. I immediately started getting 10-15 yards of carry and distance over the TS2.

My swingspeed was between 107-109 mph, ball speed in the mid-upper 150's (161 best), low 2,000's spin, 14-15 launch. These could be off a bit and I didn't see an average of the 20+ hits, but I think carry was in the range of 275-285 yards and total around 300 yards with best at 312 yards. Honestly felt like a great combination of high launch and low spin so that's good.

Now for the not so good. Almost every shot was a draw, but it seemed much easier to hook with this than either the TS2 or SIM. So the big question - are you finding this head to be less hook friendly than other heads by Callaway or others mfr's? I'd like to order the club, but that concern is holding me back. My current driver is a Titleist 913D3 9.5 with the Diamana D+ whiteboard stiff.

Any feedback you have on 'hookiness' of that head, shaft, or combination is appreciated.

Also, for those that loved the MAVRIK's (in the first 76 pages - maybe "honeymoon phase") but changed to a different driver in the same year (your what's in the bag showed different drivers), what went wrong?

Now back to my reading. I only have 64 pages to get caught up and maybe the answers are out there still!!
How much right to left movement are you getting? I do think the Mavrik is less fade biased than SZ models from years past.

How much right to left movement are you getting? I do think the Mavrik is less fade biased than SZ models from years past.
From memory: Best hits a tight draw. Good hits 5-10 yard draw. Bad hits up to 30-40 yards left. For every 5 swings I'd have maybe one best hit, three good hits, and one bad hit.

From memory: Best hits a tight draw. Good hits 5-10 yard draw. Bad hits up to 30-40 yards left. For every 5 swings I'd have maybe one best hit, three good hits, and one bad hit.
30-40 yards left? That most likely isn’t a draw bias. Could it be swing path relates?

I had the honeymoon phase, the wandering eyes phase, then the true appreciation phase, and I've come to the conclusion over the past 8 months that it is spectacularly.... neutral. If you're a draw player, you'll hit a draw every time with it. I feel like the Rogue as was slightly more fade biased, but my swing was different so it's hard to really say. The SIM is definitely more fade biased, so it's no surprise your left misses with it weren't as severe. You'll have to decide if that's what you need or not, but the mav SZ definitely doesn't favor the right like that.

My miss is traditionally an overcooked draw, and changing the front to back weights a little helps avoid that for me for some reason.

Last edited:
30-40 yards left? That most likely isn’t a draw bias. Could it be swing path relates?
Yeah, most definitely swing path. If I put a good swing on it, no issue. Compared with the other four drivers that night, the hooks were biggest with the MAVRIK. Could be it was late in the trial and the swing degraded with fatigue. Have you noticed that this head is more likely to go left than others? Thanks!

Back