Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

a subtle but appreciated difference between "man that's a good looking driver" to "man that's a good looking drive"

Truer words have not been spoken.

a subtle but appreciated difference between "man that's a good looking driver" to "man that's a good looking drive"

Even on mishits...i am still amazed on how many times hit a tee shot and immediately know it wasn't caught flushed only to be surprised with the results.

Even on mishits...i am still amazed on how many times hit a tee shot and immediately know it wasn't caught flushed only to be surprised with the results.
Do you think the driver provides good feel or audible feedback when you don’t hit it flush?

Do you think the driver provides good feel or audible feedback when you don’t hit it flush?

I think it does. I don't feel like the sound changes much when not struck in the center, but I'm not one that worried about sound at impact. I care more about feel and this one feels just as good away from center as it does at the center.

i had a brief affair with the mavrik standard. at first i had no idea where i was hitting it. i just wasn't used to something so muted. but after one range session, i adjusted and knew where i struck it. with the mavrik max, it's expectedly louder, and the audible feedback is more obvious.

I had a fun round yesterday and I was just crushing the Std. Mavrik. I played with two older guys who have played this muni for decades. They were eyeing my all black custom Mavrik and asked to see my illegal club haha. Even with Covid still out there I handed it over and let them ooh and aah over it. This was a perfect opportunity to tell the story of THP and the Grandaddy of them all and they were blown away when I told them about my trip and free gear.

There is a hot button high on the face of the Mavrik. At first it looks like I hit a pop up but damn, the ball goes into orbit and just floats way out there. I hit this shot three times yesterday and each time it was a bomb. One of the old dudes pulled me aside and said he had never seen a ball hit that far on a particular hole we were playing. I played above my pay grade on the front but came back to earth on the back nine. I gathered myself and finished strong with -1 on the final four holes.

The Std. Mavrik is without question the longest driver I have ever hit and the forgiveness keeps me in the game when my swing takes a day off. The feel at impact is powerful and the sound is something to behold. I struggle off the tee at times so it was fun showing off my game and amazing set of Callaway clubs from the Grandaddy.

A couple months ago I put away the Mavrik standard and went back to the Epic Flash SZ. I like the Mavrik. But for some reason I get more consistent results with the EF. They're both pretty dang good though.

I have really been enjoying the Max in the 9* head I have. Plenty of forgiveness, plenty long for me.

I have really been enjoying the Max in the 9* head I have. Plenty of forgiveness, plenty long for me.
What driver did you game before the Max and what do you think is the biggest difference for your game?

What driver did you game before the Max and what do you think is the biggest difference for your game?
Played G400 Max previously. Mavrik Max Sound is much better, forgiveness is about even. Length is picked up maybe 10-12 yards carry wise once the spin was under control. Looks definitely go to the Mavrik Max.

Last edited:
I also am very happy with the Mavrik Max. I have done some experimenting with loft, shaft and tee height and am now hitting it better than ever. I previously had the Rogue which i liked and actually took an epic flash out on my home course one evening and experimented with the same shaft. I liked the Epic Flash but i didnt hit it any better than the Rogue and for me at least thought the Rogue was a better fit. I moved from the Rogue to the Mavrik Max and for me it has been better in forgiveness, distance and accuracy. The Mavrik Max is such a great driver i think it will be hard to improve on it but im sure Callaway will. Anxious to see what Callaway does if anything in its next cycle with the Mavrik Max.

G400 Max Sound is much better, forgiveness is about even. Length is picked up maybe 10-12 yards carry wise once the spin was under control. Looks definitely go to the Mavrik Max.
Just when you think you know a guy... :LOL:

Personally, I think the Mavrik sounds light years better than the G400 Max. But, I never spent much time with that one.

Just when you think you know a guy... :LOL:

Personally, I think the Mavrik sounds light years better than the G400 Max. But, I never spent much time with that one.
I guess I should read before hitting the post button ... That was supposed to say Max is better sounding.
I'll edit. I haven't had my 🥛and 🍪's today:p

I guess I should read before hitting the post button ... That was supposed to say Max is better sounding.
I'll edit. I haven't had my 🥛and 🍪's today:p
Somehow I don't believe that...

That’s the most amazing thing about the Mavrik standard. I hit it all over the face and it still feels like I hit the sweet spot. With the Epic Flash SZ I know when I missed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven’t been able to play for the last 6 weeks due to an injury and surgery.

I got out twice last week a s both times thr Mav SZ driver was stellar. I was hitting hellacious seeds.

The SZ in the low loft neutral setting just seems very fade biased to me, whichI love. There is nothing worse than hitting a low rope hook when going after one. This driver has almost eliminated the left miss for me while still allowing me to draa and fade the ball when needed.

Wanna talk about LONG! Longest driving I have ever gamed and it’s not even close.

I love that as I've ramped up speed the sub zero dispersion has stayed perfectly balanced for me. I'm hitting less fairways, but the balance has stayed steady. No overwhelming miss. That is definitely not the case with some other setups I have here.

d3da0ee0e18c7ae6cd3b7ef227fafa03.jpg

e69e2a34ec027777a2231b01c6b8d1f1.jpg

Ready for testing. I’ve always wanted to test a high launching driver with a low spin/low launch shaft. Might be the best of both worlds though if I know me (and I do) I’ll end up going to my Handcrafted Project X Don and staff made for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put a couple different shafts head to head yesterday on the range in a Mavrik (std) 9*.

PX Evenflow Riptide 60g 60S
V
Aldila Rogue White 130msi 60S

Context: I used to slice the ball a lot, but worked on it. It still creeps up once in a great while, but I’m feeling much better than earlier in the season. My miss lately has been the nasty left hook.

The Riptide is what I have been using lately. I tried building something consistent on the range, as well as working the ball both ways. With the Riptide I felt the shots leak hard off line. I wonder if that is with my tendency to get a bit quick in the driver swing.

Switched to the rogue white and noticed an immediate difference. I know they weigh similar but the rogue felt totally different. The resulting swings were vastly different as well. Everything felt much much tighter in dispersion. I went with it for the 9 holes after the range session and could tell a huge difference in on course play. I hit 5 of 8 fairways, with all but 1 being less than 10 feet from the edge of the fairway. I also hit 6 of the 8 greater than 250, 3 of which were over 270. I felt way more confident in the driver than I have in a while. While I don’t know enough to fully speak to the technical aspects of each shaft, nor do I have launch monitor numbers to back up what happened, but the shaft change seemed to make a huge difference for me. Confidence in driver at all time high.

I did purchase the Rapsodo mlm here after the review @ddec did, so hoping in the next week or so to put things through a bit more a test with some data elements.

My last three rounds out I've actually been given compliments on my driving with the Mavrik. It's kind of a nice feeling not wanting to throw my driver in a pond after hitting my tee shots lately.
First time occurrence for me this year as well. And my compliments didn’t have a “I didn’t think it was possible to hit that 3rd fairway to the right” appended to them.

Any current Mavrik owners, had you played the XR16 prior? Talk me out of an upgrade... Bombing the XR 9* with the stock Speeder 565 stiff shaft, but who doesn't want more distance or control?

mav max has come alive for me on the range. work will settle down after this week and i’ll be able to get on the course to see if this will translate. i’m having a ball with it!

Still badly in need of a range session with this beast. Had two pull hooks and one wicked push slice yesterday. I did launch one 286 uphill en route to a birdie, but I think my eyes still get a little to big when I swing driver. Just need to rein that in.

Mavrik driver continues to make me look way more competent off the tee than my swing would suggest. 50% of fairways this past round with just one big miss—on a putrid swing with no room left off the tee. Though it’s not the Max, the standard Mav is still super forgiving in a more sleek shape. I can find every millimeter of the face, and I’ve been astonished by some of the strikes that wound up still in play. And it’s stupid long. Even in fall temps yesterday, I hit plenty of top end drives for me. Just love this driver.

Last edited:
Back