Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

So today I got a Mavrik SZ 9° head to play and it is quite different from the Max that I'm use too.
Not quite as forgiving but not in a punishing way. I had a couple toe shots that got still got plenty of distance. I had two that I hit almost center face but had the face open (read cut across) that sliced pretty good and had some distance loss.
I managed 11/14 fairways, 3 missed where i pull left and the 2 slices right.
Average drive today was 244. So I picked up a few yards, but it was also only mid 40's the whole round.. I think on a nice 75-80° day I could see some more yardage.
I will play with the weights a bit and see if I can optimize it. but having the 14back and 2 up front played well.

Heads up, y'all: Was showing somebody my Mav Max earlier today, set it down, butt-of-grip-first, on the carpeting. *rattle* "Rattle?" I thought.

Long story short: Both the weights and the bolt for the shaft were not tightened-down. In fact one of the weights was actually downright loose
yikes.gif
and was probably the cause of the rattle.

So today I went 11/14 on the FIR. I swapped out the stock shaft and put in a Tour AD IZ-5 regular flex shaft in it. Swapped the weights out to 12 back and 6 front. Setup was S/D. I kept track of all my drives today and averaged 247, that is about 10 yard gain for me in 44° weather. I can't wait to see what this setup will do in some nice 75-80° weather.
Tomorrow it should hit the 50's for temps so hoping to see a bit more increase.
My 3 misses today where 2 that I blocked right but where playable and one that was fore right but playable.

Heads up, y'all: Was showing somebody my Mav Max earlier today, set it down, butt-of-grip-first, on the carpeting. *rattle* "Rattle?" I thought.

Long story short: Both the weights and the bolt for the shaft were not tightened-down. In fact one of the weights was actually downright loose
yikes.gif
and was probably the cause of the rattle.
Good thing you caught it before that weight went flying! I dig my wrench out once every week or so and check all the fasteners just to make sure.

Good thing you caught it before that weight went flying! I dig my wrench out once every week or so and check all the fasteners just to make sure.
You could use a bit of blue locktite on them. Once I get my club adjusted I don't move weights around.

You could use a bit of blue locktite on them.
You could. Or even purple, if you wanted minimum thread-locking. But, if you use one of the preset torque wrenches, I expect that isn't necessary.

Well the season is officially over with a foot plus of snow on the ground so I’ll most likely be hanging things up for a while with no indoor golf this winter, but was able to get out there for one more round the day before the first storm. Brought both the Max and the Standard out again for another side by side. Played what I thought was the max the first hole, forgetting I had swapped the shafts. Ended up being the Mav standard and striped one down the middle so I rolled with it the rest of the round. I think I’ll actually keep both in the rotation next year and play the both for at least the first part of the season until there is a clear winner. For me they each served a purpose and both performed well. I have variety of wide open as well as unnecessarily tight courses we play so I think I’ll play the “right tool for the job” game. Max for the tight or new courses. And standard for courses i’m comfortable with. I can say both were leaps and bounds over my old drivers and it’s the first year I can remember with this much confidence off the tee. My misses were still there, but they were far more predictable and don’t at punishing l, and distance was up quite a bit. These will be in the bag for quite a while.

Oh we doing this. Between @radiman and me I’m sure we can find a way to get one in your hands by Jan 1.

I’m not making any more purchases before the new line drops. Not gonna happen. I mean it guys!

So today I went 11/14 on the FIR. I swapped out the stock shaft and put in a Tour AD IZ-5 regular flex shaft in it. Swapped the weights out to 12 back and 6 front. Setup was S/D. I kept track of all my drives today and averaged 247, that is about 10 yard gain for me in 44° weather. I can't wait to see what this setup will do in some nice 75-80° weather.
Tomorrow it should hit the 50's for temps so hoping to see a bit more increase.
My 3 misses today where 2 that I blocked right but where playable and one that was fore right but playable.
That is a big gain in cold weather!

That is a big gain in cold weather!
I still want to play with the weight a bit and fine tune it but I am really happy with the SZ head.

I’m not making any more purchases before the new line drops. Not gonna happen. I mean it guys!
It sure seems worth the wait. I can't wait to see the new line in person!!

I don’t think you mean it. Let’s get that bought before Friday.

Been Hitting the Mav Max in the dome -
Struggled a little bit with Riptide as I wasn't getting the ball speeds I was getting from EF
Switch shafts to my Nemesys and Bingo - Ball speeds up 5MPH.

Going to CC on Christmas Eve to see if I can get the Mav to beat the EF.

Hit the 9° Sub Zero model with, I think, the Rogue White 70 indoors a couple weeks ago

Compared to my Epic Flash Sub Zero, it definitely sounds a lot different, but due to the difference in feel between the 70g shaft compared to my Project X Evenflow Green I couldn't get really used to it, and it was the end of an indoor sim session so I was tired as well

Despite the heavier shaft, I was still able to generate more club speed, but my strike was off so I wasn't seeing any distance gains and spin was spiking due to the bad swings I was putting on it, although I did see a couple shots that had potential

I do think that if I can find the right shaft, this driver could be a bit of a beast for me, so once I get my back sorted out and the weather warms up, I will give it another shot

Has anyone hit the single diamond Mavrik? The head shape looks awesome but a bit out of my price range to give it a try.

9° Mavrik SZ was on today with 11/13 fairways. (hit 3W off tee once)
Have it setup with 12g back and 6g front. Getting a nice ball flight that is medium high and getting some rollout. With the Blue Ventus it seems like a good combo.

Hit a lot of fairways today and had some of my longest drives ever for me. SZ seems to be working well for me compared to the max and will keep it in the bag.

Hit a lot of fairways today and had some of my longest drives ever for me. SZ seems to be working well for me compared to the max and will keep it in the bag.
I can’t wait to see how it does when it warms up. Sounds like it’s already matching or exceeding the max even in less than ideal conditions.

I can’t wait to see how it does when it warms up. Sounds like it’s already matching or exceeding the max even in less than ideal conditions.
Definitely better than the Max. Should pick up some yards when the temps get into the upper 60's and 70's for sure.

Add me to the list of Mavrik Driver owners! Got the SZ 10.5 thanks to THP Instagram contest! Just received it today and I’m anxious to get it out! Problem for me is I’m limited to half swings due to rotator cuff recovery and it will be a while until I progress to full swings! But I’m still planning to take some swings as part of recovery motivation!

44837EFF-35B4-4D66-9704-2D0A88FF6761.jpeg0F00DD57-3F4D-47C9-9E79-85B63A11946F.jpegF25A4FB4-8853-454C-A3CC-A5371612DC17.jpeg

Back