Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

It's actually 45.75" long.

For those of you with stock shafts, and even with other shafts, have you either cut your shaft down any or play with less than the stock length of 47.75"? Man, that seems long to me, the 47.75" . It always concerns me when cutting a shaft an inch or so off, it's hard to put back. So, what length do you game in the Mavrik line?

Stock length. FWIW, it’s the same stock length Callaway has used for years, they just changed up how they measured length, which added .25”

SiM2 Max is 45.75" as well.

It always concerns me when cutting a shaft an inch or so off, it's hard to put back. So, what length do you game in the Mavrik line?
44.5. I think stock standard was/is 45.5.

Anyway, it's just the preferred driver length for me. Am I sacrificing some distance? Sure. Am I finding the center of the club face more? For sure.

For those of you with stock shafts, and even with other shafts, have you either cut your shaft down any or play with less than the stock length of 47.75"? Man, that seems long to me, the 47.75" . It always concerns me when cutting a shaft an inch or so off, it's hard to put back. So, what length do you game in the Mavrik line?
lol, as someone correctly said it is 45.75" instead of 47.75" like in my op. So I corrected it in my post and agree in this post that it is actually 45.75" stock length on the Mav drivers.
I still feel this is too long, and probably lop off a bit, but want to be sure first. What I can do is use my Speeder stock shaft from my previous driver, Callaway XR16, and fiddle with that shaft first. I think the specs of each shaft are somewhat similar. Thanks for the correction!

lol, as someone correctly said it is 45.75" instead of 47.75" like in my op. So I corrected it in my post and agree in this post that it is actually 45.75" stock length on the Mav drivers.
I still feel this is too long, and probably lop off a bit, but want to be sure first. What I can do is use my Speeder stock shaft from my previous driver, Callaway XR16, and fiddle with that shaft first. I think the specs of each shaft are somewhat similar. Thanks for the correction!

And if you do cut it down, you can find weights all over the place to maintain the swing weight.

So if I took an inch off, I would have a lighter swing weight. My driver ss is only 90mph, so would this be a big deal?

So if I took an inch off, I would have a lighter swing weight. My driver ss is only 90mph, so would this be a big deal?

IIRC that's 3 swing weight points? Will depend on your sensitivity to that. 3 points down would put the standard Mav in the C9 range, which is light for me but everyone's different. Can always use lead tape to get it back up and figure out where you like it.

I have a Speeder 565 Evolution reg in my Callaway XR16. I could cut off an inch on that one and insert into the Max head. It appears that the shafts are similar, spec wise.

I have a Speeder 565 Evolution reg in my Callaway XR16. I could cut off an inch on that one and insert into the Max head. It appears that the shafts are similar, spec wise.

As long as it's in the same weight and balance (counter balanced or not, pretty sure the stock speeder isn't), it's probably a reasonable analog for at least getting a feel.

These are 30% off on CPO right now.

Stock length on Mavrik line was 45.75. I play mine at 1/2 short of stock.
the 47.75 is the new LD line of shafts.

Stock length on Mavrik line was 45.75. I play mine at 1/2 short of stock.
the 47.75 is the new LD line of shafts.
Yes, ty, and also somebody corrected me yesterday, no probs. I measured my XR16 and it appears to be the same length as my Max, and I never had a problem with it. Although, that doesn't mean that I wouldn't have better success trimming it down a bit. Personally, I think I would be better off trimming it 1/2" or so. I used to own a Bomtech Grenade, great driver, but couldn't stop from pushing it right, no slicing, just a push. I sent it back to bombtech because I didn't want to mess with the shaft and ruin the warranty. 45.75 is quite long in my opinion , and I can see cutting it off 1/2 inch and getting better results.

Last edited:
cpo has a sale, 250 for like new for the Mav regular shaft, is this a steal? Is the STD Mav as good as the Mav Max for a higher capper?

cpo has a sale, 250 for like new for the Mav regular shaft, is this a steal? Is the STD Mav as good as the Mav Max for a higher capper?

The Mav Std goes through the air faster than Max, but the Max is more forgiving. The heads are very different - Mav is more compact, the back is designed differently. It sounds and feels great. The Max is more forgiving. Depends on what you need.

That’s a good buy considering the new ones are still $399

I paid 349 for my Max through CPO at Christmas. Waiting for the B21 to reach CPO to upgrade again, lol. Will probably go 1” short. And add a B21 3w at the same time.

During the Black Fiday sales, or somewhere close, I got a 'like new' Mav Max shipped to the front door for $259.69 . So the price you are getting is very good! I am a 12+ hc and choose the Max, because there is nothing more important to me than getting in the fairway, and I feel the Max is the best chance for that.

Yeah these are about as low as we’ve seen the Mavrik line on CPO. I believe I paid around $220 for a like new Mav 12* in the December sale.

I don't know your miss. But in general, the Max will offer more help. I think CPO also has a 30 day return policy.

They have Mav Max's avx for 244,99 But, all 12 degree ones. My miss is a high shot (pop up), pretty good on left and right.

i have an epic max coming this week. i didn't expect to jump on this quite yet since i have prepaid for a driver fitting to do sometime this year, but i've never been accused of being sensible when it comes to golf club purchases.

i'm not giving up on the mav max, but it needs to know it's not safe. some times i saw it do some awesome things. ridiculous efficiency, mid spin high launch bombs that were better than i deserved. but lately, as i feel my move on the ball has improved and i'm working through these driver yips, i've seen some troubling misses particularly out of the toe.

if i end up shelfing the mav max permanently and moving on to the epic max, i'm not sure i'll look back fondly on my time with the mav. it was the worst driving year i have had in many years. i still think it's just because my driver swing escaped me. but as i feel the rest of my swing has rounded into form recently and every other club in the bag is finally showing promise, the driver hasn't followed. the epic max will go in play this weekend, and if it performs well right out of the gate, i think the conclusion is that the mav max just didn't suit me for some reason.

i have an epic max coming this week. i didn't expect to jump on this quite yet since i have prepaid for a driver fitting to do sometime this year, but i've never been accused of being sensible when it comes to golf club purchases.

Please report back with your thoughts. Ya know, I never got dialed in with the Mav Max either, despite a lot of tinkering. Preferred the standard Mav, which performed quite well for me last season. The Mav was just missing that last bit of forgiveness behind the ball and in play that I was looking for. Putting aside that I have a B21 in the stable, I also picked up an Epic Max.

The Epic Max seems to be just what I am looking for, but that is only in indoor testing and use. Need the snow to melt to get it outside. Looks great behind the ball, sliding weight for draw/fade adjustment, super forgiving, and keeps spin in check. My gut says, you are going to like it.

Please report back with your thoughts. Ya know, I never got dialed in with the Mav Max either, despite a lot of tinkering. Preferred the standard Mav, which performed quite well for me last season. The Mav was just missing that last bit of forgiveness behind the ball and in play that I was looking for. Putting aside that I have a B21 in the stable, I also picked up an Epic Max.

The Epic Max seems to be just what I am looking for, but that is only in indoor testing and use. Need the snow to melt to get it outside. Looks great behind the ball, sliding weight for draw/fade adjustment, super forgiving, and keeps spin in check. My gut says, you are going to like it.

so i actually had/tested the mavrik, mavrik max AND b21 last year as well lmao. i also had 2 other drivers i messed with. so you can see i was really searching, which means, well it was most likely ME that was the problem! but i feel like my play has improved dramatically these last few months, and yet the driver just hasn't cooperated like the other 13 clubs have.

i think the thing about the epic max that i'm most excited about is the sliding weight. if i can get a little help on that toe miss,, i think things will really improve.

and like you, i had some really good success with the epic max when i tested it. very straight, and long (for me). i just want predictability and consistency right now. and i do not, under any circumstances, want to know what is on the left side of any golf hole for the foreseeable future.

Back