Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

The Mav Max put me in position to have my best score ever. I was 8/10 with the driver and the two missed fairways still left me with looks for par or better. It’s a weapon!

I'm hitting driver less and less at league, but the Mavrik kept me in contention the three times I did need it. Hooked my first tee shot with it, but that was the miss last night for everything. Just off the fairway on a par 5 that I was able to get to in regulation. On 8&9 I was in the fairway with a clean shot in to hold off my opponents for a narrow win. I keep trying to replace it, but this combo just works for me. Will be interesting to see how it holds up at my fitting in two weeks. I'm going to have to see something pretty outstanding to move on from my current setup.

I have tried to replace this driver three times this season and it keeps beating out the competition. Took it to the sim to see if the new Callaway drivers were any better. Marginal at best (still pondering a Max LS because I can't help myself), but not enough to pull the trigger at full retail. Cobra RADSpeed was a ball speed monster on the sim, but didn't hold up on the course. Went and got fitted into a SIM2 Max, not only is the Mavrik longer, I hit more fairways with it. I'm sure comfort level has a lot to do with it, but this thing is a fighter.

I purchased my Maverick Max from CPO during this past winter and couldn't be happier. It replaced my xr16 which I thought could never be beaten, but the Maverick Max is hands-down Superior in performance and Technology. I often have my golfing partners wowed with my max.

Those are tour only models. They were not discussed during the event as they are not available at retail. I know they had a pivot last year and offered the triple diamond Epic Flash. I did ask about it, and they acknowledged that there was some demand so it was offered. They implemented some of those design elements into the new SZ driver.

Personally, I doubt we would see any of those models available at retail. But, I don't know for sure. As to the differences, I have no idea. It could be a different Flash Face in each model for certain shot tendencies. It could be CG placement. It could simply be head shape. It could be all of the above.
@jjjgolf500

I purchased my Maverick Max from CPO during this past winter and couldn't be happier. It replaced my xr16 which I thought could never be beaten, but the Maverick Max is hands-down Superior in performance and Technology. I often have my golfing partners wowed with my max.
I saw "like new" for under $300 and decided to be impulsive. I hope I have a similar experience.

Still have great ball speeds. I have a shorter length shaft and still manage to crank it my old distance with my previous gen GBB Epic. Have the Sub and love the low spin. No more ballooning shots with this. I can hit a low cut or fly it high equally well.

I got my Mavrik Max delivered today. Just wondered if the face is supposed to sit this open when on the ground? Is it down to the 14g weight in the back?

IMG_20210731_232145.jpg

I got my Mavrik Max delivered today. Just wondered if the face is supposed to sit this open when on the ground? Is it down to the 14g weight in the back?

View attachment 9019817
What are the setting at right now? If at -1 or -2 then yes it will sit open.

S and N.

And yes the two lines are lined up above and below the adjusters.

Last edited:
If I set it to +2 and N it does sit just about square. Weird.

I'll see what happens regards ball flight when I take it down the range and experiment tomorrow.

I'll see what happens regards ball flight when I take it down the range and experiment tomorrow.
Lofting up always closes the face a little.

The Mavrik Max is a high launching head so at +2 it may be a bit too much. It also has some draw bias built in so shutting the face may produce a draw flight. It is great driver and very forgiving if you can get it dialed in.

Yeah, I played a round yesterday with it. No range session at all.

It is a good fit for me. My misses were playable. Overall it only got me into trouble twice, and I hit it on every hole I could, even if it was not what is normally do

I have tried to replace this driver three times this season and it keeps beating out the competition. Took it to the sim to see if the new Callaway drivers were any better. Marginal at best (still pondering a Max LS because I can't help myself), but not enough to pull the trigger at full retail. Cobra RADSpeed was a ball speed monster on the sim, but didn't hold up on the course. Went and got fitted into a SIM2 Max, not only is the Mavrik longer, I hit more fairways with it. I'm sure comfort level has a lot to do with it, but this thing is a fighter.
I'm in the same boat.
I switched to the Mav late last season which in OH is a bad time to try drivers on the course as its usually wet, cold and sometimes snowing out. So my distance was down with it but it was fairway finder. Because of the crappy conditions I thought the Mav was shorter and kept chasing all of this season.

Early this spring I went onto Global Golf and did their U try it program and got in the Rad XB, Rad XD, Sim2 Max and G425. On well struck shots these were as long as anything but found the 425 (closed looking face to me) get pretty hooky, the XD seemed a little spinny and the XB and Sim2 Max to have a 2 way miss. On the final couple of holes I grabbed the Mav and it was longer and hit more fairways than these for me.

Then I bought an Epic Max (too hooky) and Epic Speed (didn't seem as forgiving and easy to hit as the Mav) so I found the Mav better than both of those.

Then I bought the Cobra SZ Xtreme and Rad XB. the XB I fought the lefts with. The Xtreme I gave some bag run and if I had to choose a backup driver would be it (still have it) but in the end the Mav won out again.

I used to play the Mav with the Riptide 50 5.5 but now use the Px HZRDUS Green im10 50g 5.5 and like it alot. Just seemed a tad more stable. I hate to use the term point and shoot, because well its golf and a swing can get loose at any time, but it's nice having a driver that you can trust.

And now that conditions are favorable I am starting to see some real distance from it. Me and a buddy played Friday and had some drives in that 250-270 range which is rare for me. Usually I live in the 210-240 range.

Wonder if maybe you have one of the "Tour" adapters.
Does it have a little red line or green dot on the adapter like these do:
1627989344213.png

I'm in the same boat.
I switched to the Mav late last season which in OH is a bad time to try drivers on the course as its usually wet, cold and sometimes snowing out. So my distance was down with it but it was fairway finder. Because of the crappy conditions I thought the Mav was shorter and kept chasing all of this season.

Early this spring I went onto Global Golf and did their U try it program and got in the Rad XB, Rad XD, Sim2 Max and G425. On well struck shots these were as long as anything but found the 425 (closed looking face to me) get pretty hooky, the XD seemed a little spinny and the XB and Sim2 Max to have a 2 way miss. On the final couple of holes I grabbed the Mav and it was longer and hit more fairways than these for me.

Then I bought an Epic Max (too hooky) and Epic Speed (didn't seem as forgiving and easy to hit as the Mav) so I found the Mav better than both of those.

Then I bought the Cobra SZ Xtreme and Rad XB. the XB I fought the lefts with. The Xtreme I gave some bag run and if I had to choose a backup driver would be it (still have it) but in the end the Mav won out again.

I used to play the Mav with the Riptide 50 5.5 but now use the Px HZRDUS Green im10 50g 5.5 and like it alot. Just seemed a tad more stable. I hate to use the term point and shoot, because well its golf and a swing can get loose at any time, but it's nice having a driver that you can trust.

And now that conditions are favorable I am starting to see some real distance from it. Me and a buddy played Friday and had some drives in that 250-270 range which is rare for me. Usually I live in the 210-240 range.

I still want to give the Max LS another shot but I agree with you that there's no reason to replace this in the bag right now.

Wonder if maybe you have one of the "Tour" adapters.
Does it have a little red line or green dot on the adapter like these do:
View attachment 9020248
Thanks. Doesn't look like it, just the plain lines.

My first range session with it went terrible. I hit it really badly, and wasn't even matching my old driver distance until maybe last 10 balls. Add to that I pulled a muscle in my right ribs (probably trying to turn too much and too hard) and it was a pretty miserable experience tbh.

I did end up seeing better shots with the 9.5 deg loft though, rather than the 10.5. That could just be my poor swing though hitting up on it too much.

Chalked it up to a bad day so am waiting for a little while before I go again. Definitely gonna have some lessons once my irons arrive.

Thanks. Doesn't look like it, just the plain lines.
Hmm not sure then. In your pic above, to my eye it looks pretty neutral, but everyone's interpretation to face angle can be a little different. Also the shaft angle can make a club sit more open or closed too depending on how the sole design of the head rocks it one way or the other. For example, if I sole my SZ Xtreme driver with the shaft on a 60* angle, the head seems to rock open a good 10*. Only driver ever to do that for me. Most tend to sit a hair closed, hair open or dead straight.

I got my Mavrik Max delivered today. Just wondered if the face is supposed to sit this open when on the ground?
If I just set my Mav Max (10.5°, set for "S" and "N") on the ground directly in front of me, on my center-line, it looks the same way. But at address, with the head placed forward, where one normally would with a driver (more-or-less in line with the lead foot's heel), it does not.

Sorry to see your first outing with the driver didn't go well :(

But at address, with the head placed forward, where one normally would with a driver (more-or-less in line with the lead foot's heel), it does not.

Sorry to see your first outing with the driver didn't go well :(
Yeah that's a good point. I don't think it affected anything though. Just my terrible swing that day with the face too open at impact!

I'll go for another session later this week. Can only be better!

Sorry to be lazy (I know I should read all 169 pages lol) but I'm looking for experiences with the SZ. I've been playing the B21, which really helped with my slice, but have (believe it or not) changed my swing to the point that I don't need the slice killer anymore. I went to the LGS yesterday and hit all three of the new EPIC offerings (Speed, Max, and Max LS) along with the SZ. Now admittedly I wish I'd had him plug the shaft in the SZ into the Max LS to see if that was the difference maker, but dispersion and distance both went to the SZ with the Max LS being second. The SZ consistently got my spin under 3k. Now I see that CPO has a 25% off flash sale (24 Hours only) and I'm intrigued but hesitant so I thought I'd see what everyone on here thought if they'd played the SZ.

Sorry to be lazy (I know I should read all 169 pages lol) but I'm looking for experiences with the SZ. I've been playing the B21, which really helped with my slice, but have (believe it or not) changed my swing to the point that I don't need the slice killer anymore. I went to the LGS yesterday and hit all three of the new EPIC offerings (Speed, Max, and Max LS) along with the SZ. Now admittedly I wish I'd had him plug the shaft in the SZ into the Max LS to see if that was the difference maker, but dispersion and distance both went to the SZ with the Max LS being second. The SZ consistently got my spin under 3k. Now I see that CPO has a 25% off flash sale (24 Hours only) and I'm intrigued but hesitant so I thought I'd see what everyone on here thought if they'd played the SZ.
I played the Mavrik Sub Zero for a while last year and I play the Max LS this year. The difference in forgiveness is huge in favor of the LS. The Mavrik SZ is suited for a low handicap golfer with some speed. I feel like the SZ is every bit as good out of the center and maybe better but miss it by a small amount and it was penalizing. The Max LS lets me get away with murder and is a bomber when hit correctly.

Back