Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

Went out in the cold today to swing my SZ about 50 times. Half were working on tempo and mechanics. The other half was to swing as hard as I could without losing balance. My way of keeping up speed through the winter. But the feel of the club head and weight feels great even without the ball. I really can’t wait to hit some balls again!

Mine came in at 191.5g w weight installed and the weight was/is 5g

That is good consistency thru the heads if there is only a .2g difference.

Damn, that is solid consistency.
I remember last year I had 3 M5 heads and they were 4-5 grams off of each other.

Damn, that is solid consistency.
I remember last year I had 3 M5 heads and they were 4-5 grams off of each other.
yeah, I’m impressed two were that close

Tahoe not the same unless its graced with some Big Time!
Besides, I've got to defend my title until one of you decides they want to take it.....or take it back in your case! :p

Besides, I've got to defend my title until one of you decides they want to take it.....or take it back in your case! :p
Pure luck.... Hit enough good shots and made a few putts to keep it interesting.... Hopefully I'm more of that guy this year

Thoughts, thoughts, thoughts.

OK then, now that I'm home and behind a keyboard, lets get into early thoughts.

Disclaimer - Yes, I review equipment. No, I don't destroy companies because I think everything is good for SOMEONE. Yes, I got this for review and THP does events and things with Callaway (and every other company) No, that would and will not keep me from being impartial. I have gone entirely away form Callaway woods in my bags the past releases and been vocal about the why's, early returns here for MAVRIK items and me are very positive though, even though I honestly expected this to be a filler release, I was wrong.

1) Review Setup - For now I have just the MAVRIK model in for review, 10.5 w/ Riptide 50g in S. Little lighter and lower flex than the Riptide model my gamer shaft is built off of, but I'm pumped to work with this setup for the homepage review. Stock length is definitely longer than I play normally, but that has never been an issue for me with reviews.

2) Looks - I'm glad I got the standard MAVRIK at the very least because of the Cyclone shape. I have been sitting on the release info since the Grandaddy boys got it in order to write the THP release article linked in the original post and this is the biggest story for me. Pics and details are one thing, in hand its another. Definitely what I would call a 'bulbous' visual in hand when looking at the sole and pulling it from the bag you notice it as well, rounded and compact overall shape. From address, its definitely a better look to me than the Flash was, more compact front to back, the way the crown slopes and maintains height is pretty killer, and the carbon fiber look is very nice. Plus, NO NONSENICAL GHOST LINE ON THE CROWN! I don't mind the orange, but, by now we know some don't, IMO these somewhat controversial colors are brilliant for a companies custom departments bottom line. I actually don't care for the headcover, its quality, but just not my style/shape. Add in the Riptide I have for this review and its a mean looking overall setup.

3) Sound/Feel - Hi, I'm Jman, some of you know me as James, and I completely and totally obliterated Callaway for the sound/feel on the Flash and ESPECIALLY Flash SZ last year. I hated it, it was enough, FOR ME, that I overlooked some slight performance differences and didn't game it, and I bought or traded for 3 different heads to try. Here, I'd like to say form the very first impact swing, THANK YOU to the AI program and the decision to use it in the acoustics this go round. I know the added sound rail in the sole is something Doc has said he would have NEVER considered, but man it works. This one sounds impeccable. Not as dense as the Epic or Rogue's, it has a little more ear feedback to it by way of a tiny bit of sharpness conveyed as power, not loud tin can like Flash SZ in particular (again, MY take). They got this right. Seriously, go hit it, I'd bet it will rival anything this year.

4) Performance - Small sample at the moment, and it was my C swing. But, the launch was quite nice and easy, I was swiping at it something fierce before I went on vacation but I was in play a lot still, though super bad swings can't be saved by any club. What has initially caught my eye most though is the reaction to my toe side strike pattern I'm fighting, ball wants to stay in play, it honestly reminds me of why I have played and get along with the 400 Max and 410 LST drivers so well, to this point they had just been more forgiving for my miss. Here, the results seem spot on with those at the least in this sample. Now, I don't have any LM time yet, that will come here this week I hope, and I'm most curious to see the launch and spin data, the story of using the face to dictate the spin and flight characteristics more than just automatically going low and back as the only way to do that is a crazy cool one, and this shape though only in this one model right now, could very well flip driver design on its ear again. I know some claim there are no gains to be made in drivers and others swear aero is a fake story, but there is SO MUCH to be gained in aerodynamics IF the companies find ways to control the spin and launch via methods other than just low and back...they might have here? We shall see.

More soon, and please, feel free to ask questions.
how are you hitting it?
See above. Got buried FAST. Haha

Dreaming MAVRIK dreams! Life getting in the way of golf this weekend.

Can’t wait for the sim league playoffs on Tuesday and to get the MAV back in action!

Just in here.... reading... being impressed by what I'm reading. Seems like second year release of AI is really taking things up a notch.

Watched Phil today, have to be honest, the sound is really good and he seemed to hit it pretty straight, for Phil.

Watched Phil today, have to be honest, the sound is really good and he seemed to hit it pretty straight, for Phil.

From what I saw, it was the Epic Flash in play. Could see the green on the toe through the swing.

FOMO is strong with this driver. The other offerings out there are cool but this one has me really pondering.
I definitely have to run a test with my gamer and Mavrik 9* with the Riptide 60S.

I want to say he had it in the bag for the 1st round, but not 100% sure.

either way you know it’s only a matter of time before it’s there full time

I want to say he had it in the bag for the 1st round, but not 100% sure.

either way you know it’s only a matter of time before it’s there full time
Nope.

No Mavrik for Phil in competition yet.

Just in here.... reading... being impressed by what I'm reading. Seems like second year release of AI is really taking things up a notch.
tenfold.

The beauty about A.I. is that each year and iteration is saved in its memory. It has a point to continue on innovating when you start to give it more inputs. It's amazing to see that the A.I. has surpassed the old material requirements so FS2S had to be used.

Back