Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

I'd say my standard I'm reviewing is neutral to slightly closed, fwiw.

That said, I did get some GC2 time today.

LIVED ON THE HEEL. Ugh. Vast majority were there and mostly I just refused to adjust to a setup 1" longer than what I game.

That said, the results were pretty freaking impressive.

Session averages over 23 swings (only 5-6 were what I call dead nuts center):

155 MPH (Peak 161), 12.3 LA, 2,570 RPM (Peak 3,128, Low 2,036), 31Y Peak

I mean....on mostly misses?

LIVED ON THE HEEL. Ugh. Vast majority were there and mostly I just refused to adjust to a setup 1" longer than what I game.

Those are solid solid numbers.. I would love to see some really solid hits I bet the numbers are scary good

For us mortals, I think that’s where we are going to see massive benefits. It’s so forgiving and efficient across the face!

Wasn't for a lack of effort. :cry:

I’m assuming at some point maybe you’ll try it with a shaft more suited to you? I know you typically review OTR but I would be very interested to see some numbers from you when you have it dialed in to you

F6922D0A-8A7D-4AD5-8D67-9E4CCDB11E91.jpeg
I did some comparing tonight... Then a customer rented out the sim so I could complete the data... I’ll get it on Monday...

My results were prettttty conclusive
My early thoughts were conclusive too... Spent too much time comparing the Mavrik Pro to the Apex ‘19 .

My early thoughts were conclusive too... Spent too much time comparing the Mavrik Pro to the Apex ‘19 .
Ooh, I'm probably most interested in that right there.

Thanks for your thoughts. When my swing is decent, I get a nice little draw and my miss is a straight push but when the swing is off that push can curve a little right and border on slice territory.

I’m playing my 10.5 Flash at S/D and used to play BGG 9* at +1/D.

If that’s the case then start with the Max9*

After hitting the standard Mavrik first at 9* and then lofted up to 10*... I am kind of intrigued to see where a 10.5* Subzero will lead. I think I will try that next :sneaky:

After hitting the standard Mavrik first at 9* and then lofted up to 10*... I am kind of intrigued to see where a 10.5* Subzero will lead. I think I will try that next :sneaky:

do you need to kill that much spin going the sub zero? Remember this one is the smaller 450cc head

View attachment 8923804
I did some comparing tonight... Then a customer rented out the sim so I could complete the data... I’ll get it on Monday...

Early thoughts between the both? Which you like more ?

Which store was that btw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

do you need to kill that much spin going the sub zero? Remember this one is the smaller 450cc head

Probably not, but I'm interested to see what could happen. My reasoning was that if I was at ~2350 spin and ~12.5 launch on the Std 9* lofted up to 10*, maybe the 10.5 SubZero might give me a little more launch angle and just see what happened with spin out of curiosity. I was pretty happy with actual numbers so far, just exploring the envelope.

Last edited:
Mavrik Max Review
Yesterday afternoon I spent some time this with @badolds at an indoor golf simulator that has Trackman (set to sea level). I will start by saying I’m not comfortable hitting indoors. I don’t know what it is, but I just never get settled. That said, the following data isn’t an excuse as it was the data that was produced. I only question the club head speed as unusually live in the high 90’s and occasionally see low100’s and never touched that tonight. Again not an excuse, but something that stood out so hopefully this data helps paint the picture.

I compared my Epic Flash 10.5* set D/+1 to the Maverick Max 9*set to D/+2. Both were hit with the Project X THCE, Oban Hashimoto and Elements Chrome and used the new 2020 golf ball from Callaway. As a baseline here is what a well struck shot looks like with my Epic Flash with my Project X THCE that's been the gamer for a while.

View attachment 8923749
Club Head Speed: pretty consistent. Again, not what I’m used to seeing, but no excuses because the numbers are what they are. Both heads had me in the low to mid 90’s today. The highest was 96mph with the Epic Flash. I’m not sure if that was because it was early on in the session and a little fatigue set in later on, but the highest I saw with the Max was 94-95 mph. Obviously not that far off, but worth noting. (I would hope/exepct on the course this one gets back into the high 90’s like I’m used to seeing)

Smash Factor: This is where the Mavrik Max starts to stand out from the Epic Flash. With the Epic Flash I was seeing smash around 1.45 on well struck shots. With the Max it was consistently 1.47 and hit 1.49 several times. This tells me new flash face is living up to the technology it’s touting. This was good to see because it would prove huge later comparing ball speeds and distances.

Spin: Nothing new or earth shattering here. I’m a high spin player and look for every edge I can get to help that, especially from the tee. My Epic Flash had me in the upper 2,000 rpm (average around 2,800) which is what I expected. I went with the 9* Max head to help with the spin and it showed. The Mavrik Max kept the spin in the low 2,000 (average around 2,300) which helps me tremendously.

Ball Speed: Just as the smash factor numbers told a key piece of the story, the ball speed numbers backed it up. I think the story here is that the Flash Face SS20 is legit. It’s not hype or another marketing scheme, the proof is in the numbers. I consistently had a higher smash factor on off center hits compared to the Epic Flash with center hits. When I hit the Mavrik Max close to or in the center, the smash factor consistently read 1.49. Bottom line is that the FF SS20 is more efficient promoting ball speed across the face than the first gen flash face on the EF.

Based on the numbers I saw with a simple calculation of, Club Speed * Smash Factor = Ball speed, the Mavrik Max should provide anywhere from 3-5 MPH increase in ball speed with a high 90’s club head speed. If we all agree that 1mph Ball Speed = 2yards of distance, that should give me an extra 6-10 yards, which I will welcome with open arms.

Distance: I’m not seeing dramatic distance increases right now and I expect that to trend up with a higher club head speed. What I am seeing is my total distance has increased. I’m seeing about a club less for my second shot. My carry distance has remained the same and maybe a few yards more on well struck shots using the Mavrik Max. My thinking here is that with the Max, I am seeing better efficiency across the face. Couple that with decent spin and launch, tells me I am getting a little more roll from the Max vs. Flash.

Dispersion: If smash factor and ball speed efficiency are the biggest takeaways, then the dispersion is 1b. I’ve always played a left to right ball flight. Recently I’ve worked hard to clean it up and play a predictable cut off the tee. It does rob me of some distance, but I know what to expect and have adjusted my game. Hitting the Mavrik Max has taken that cut and straightened it out. By straightening it out the carry distance goes up a bit and so does the overall distance. This driver just wants to go straight. Throw the weight in the heel, and it created a nice little draw in a tight dispersion pattern. That’s not to say you can’t slice one or even work a fade because you can. I have a hole on the course I play regularly that requires a cut off the tee and I can still work the ball left to right when needed, but as a stock tee shot, straight is now the order of the day, with the occasional draw.

Perimeter Weights: The Max has two weights, 14g & 2g, with the ability to be placed in the rear or the heel. Putting the heavy weight in the back will create maximum forgiveness (high MOI) and if you move the heavy weight to the heel, you create maximum draw capabilities. @DNevsCG mentioned that the Mavrik Max has the ability to correct up to 20yards and he wasn’t joking. When I put the heavy weight in the heel it took the cut into a draw. For me that is pretty close to at least 10yds of correction if not more. The weighting works & IMO much better than the sliding weight in the Epic Flash ever worked for me. When I kept the heavy weight in the back I saw better smash, ball speed and longer carry distance. Switching the weight to the heel, the smash and ball speed went down slightly, but the right to left ball flight was more pronounced (I hit a draw, lol). Safe to say the heavy weight will be placed in the back to give me the optimal numbers for my game, but the flight correction is there if needed.

Overall: I stand by my previous comments that with the three Mavrik options Callaway is offering, you need to go and get fit. If a fitting isn't feasible, at least try to take some swings and get baseline numbers because the driver you think you fit into may not be the case. That being said, if you are a golfer (regardless of skill level) that struggles with a left to right ball flight and want to find something to control it a little bit better, you would do yourself a favor by looking at the Mavrik Max. The Mavrik Max lives up to everything it’s touting. It will retain ball speeds across the face with efficiency better than anything Callaway has put out recently & IMO rival or best what other major OEM's have on the market. The weighting system allows for Max forgiveness or Max draw capabilities depending on the placement. This driver is a game changer for me. It provides better consistency and numbers than the Epic Flash when comparing well struck shots as well as off center hits. I’m really looking forward to a full season with the Max to see where my game goes.

Some numbers from Tackman based on the Mavrik Max 9* head, set to +1/D, heavy weight in the back, paired with these shafts:

Mavrik Max with Project X THCE
View attachment 8923755

Mavrik Max with Oban Hashimoto
View attachment 8923756

Mavrik Max UST Elements Chrome
View attachment 8923757

Mavrik Max Project X THCE (heavy weight in the heel)
View attachment 8923758
Great write up Mike...

Early thoughts between the both? Which you like more ?

Which store was that btw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn’t get enough time bc I started off hitting all of the demo irons that came in, then I had to give up the sim. The Mavrik was slightly better with maintaining ball speed on miss hits (especially off the heel side).
Most DICK’S already have the demo, and are waiting for the launch date to actually put the clubs out.

I’m assuming at some point maybe you’ll try it with a shaft more suited to you? I know you typically review OTR but I would be very interested to see some numbers from you when you have it dialed in to you
My gamer is built on the Riptide, so its a good fit, though a flex down.

Length is the biggest issue for me I believe. I just never game drivers as long as they come stock, all manufacturers.

Really appreciate all the reviews in this thread (and the effort that goes into those). I have historically gotten along very well with Callaway drivers and the 150% trade in bonus going on right now may be too much to pass up. Knowing my swing struggles and the success I had with the Rogue Draw, the Mav Max has a very good shot at finding a spot in my bag this year (possibly sooner rather than later).

Length is the biggest issue for me I believe. I just never game drivers as long as they come stock, all manufacturers.

That was kind of what I was getting at... Would you ever test with something more suited to your game? Just to see if this is something you might game down the line. Certainly not telling you how to review clubs, you are already pretty darn good at that haha

That was kind of what I was getting at... Would you ever test with something more suited to your game? Just to see if this is something you might game down the line. Certainly not telling you how to review clubs, you are already pretty darn good at that haha
Yeah, it'll happen, I'll cut it down post article for sure.

yeah radi that looks gloriously neutral you slightly open. not trying to discount anyone’s experience, just offering a different perspective.
Well it is obvious that it is pointless to post anything not along the party line....but you guys are living the dream, I get it enjoy.

Well it is obvious that it is pointless to post anything not along the party line....but you guys are living the dream, I get it enjoy.

Definitely not the case... Just differences of opinions. Post Away :)

at almost 46 inches for most stock. It is no wonder most rec golfers struggle.

Back