Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

Well it is obvious that it is pointless to post anything not along the party line....but you guys are living the dream, I get it enjoy.
Not trying to stir the pot. Just pointing out that my driver doesn't sit closed. Nothing to do with the "party line" But, if anyone were to get the impression that these clubs are closed based on one person's feedback, I want to make sure that I do my part and point out that it doesn't align with what I have seen. I don't know if the tone of my post was misread.

Not trying to stir the pot. Just pointing out that my driver doesn't sit closed. Nothing to do with the "party line" But, if anyone were to get the impression that these clubs are closed based on one person's feedback, I want to make sure that I do my part and point out that it doesn't align with what I have seen. I don't know if the tone of my post was misread.

I have heard tales of closed club faces. I generally fight a draw hook ball and I have not seen one bit of evidence that the mav is hook biased. Unless you are talking the draw version. I hit the sub and it is about as fade bias as anything out there.

Well it is obvious that it is pointless to post anything not along the party line....but you guys are living the dream, I get it enjoy.

FWIW clubs sitting "Open" or "Closed" is very personal. You did mention you are coming from something 2 degrees open, so it may look closed to you, and open to others.

All opinions are good opinions.. Just don't start complaining about jacked lofts :p

Jim brings up a good point though. He provided feedback based on HIS fitting. I just don't understand why it was such a staunch defense from yourself, @McLovin, and @mikeg_74 . Jim has probably spent more on Callaway products than each of you, he gets the new product year after year from Callaway, from irons to 7woods, to 9 woods, to drivers. He's gotten the new driver the last 3 releases, probably been playing a Callaway driver since the 1996 Big Bertha, kidding but you get my point.

Last year it was the staunch defense of the Aluminum Bat Epic Flash Driver. It was loud. So loud that Callaway received this feedback and made it a point of emphasis to improve the sound on the Mavrik. It was simply a differing opinion and it was like people took offense to it. Hell, Jim owns the Epic Flash, acknowledges that it is LOUD, but he didn't and still doesn't care because he enjoys it and hits it well.

Last I recall @McLovin and @mikeg_74 were not fans of the Rogue line and didn't like them. Whether it was the sound, the look, the feel, the design, whatever. It was a difference of opinion, which should be welcomed here. Jim says he doesn't like this driver and we get photos of how it looks at address. For as long as this guy has owned Callaway drivers, I'm certain that if he looks down and notices a closed face, then he notices a closed face to his eye.

Just something I noticed in the responses based on his fitting. I like your guys reviews, I'm eager to hit the Mavrik and compare it to my Rogue. If I get better numbers across the board and I like the look, I will upgrade, if I don't I will say why and keep the Rogue. I hope that is ok! (Kidding)

Take it easy fellas.

Jim brings up a good point though. He provided feedback based on HIS fitting. I just don't understand why it was such a staunch defense from yourself, @McLovin, and @mikeg_74 . Jim has probably spent more on Callaway products than each of you, he gets the new product year after year from Callaway, from irons to 7woods, to 9 woods, to drivers. He's gotten the new driver the last 3 releases, probably been playing a Callaway driver since the 1996 Big Bertha, kidding but you get my point.

Last year it was the staunch defense of the Aluminum Bat Epic Flash Driver. It was loud. So loud that Callaway received this feedback and made it a point of emphasis to improve the sound on the Mavrik. It was simply a differing opinion and it was like people took offense to it. Hell, Jim owns the Epic Flash, acknowledges that it is LOUD, but he didn't and still doesn't care because he enjoys it and hits it well.

Last I recall @McLovin and @mikeg_74 were not fans of the Rogue line and didn't like them. Whether it was the sound, the look, the feel, the design, whatever. It was a difference of opinion, which should be welcomed here. Jim says he doesn't like this driver and we get photos of how it looks at address. For as long as this guy has owned Callaway drivers, I'm certain that if he looks down and notices a closed face, then he notices a closed face to his eye.

Just something I noticed in the responses based on his fitting. I like your guys reviews, I'm eager to hit the Mavrik and compare it to my Rogue. If I get better numbers across the board and I like the look, I will upgrade, if I don't I will say why and keep the Rogue. I hope that is ok! (Kidding)

Take it easy fellas.

My comments/posts were not directed at him. @jim54 wasn't the only person who asked/questioned the closed look at address, so I provided a picture of what mine looks like at address to help provide perspective not to attack him or discredit what he is seeing at address. I understand Jim's affinity for Callaway and just because he spends more money with them than I do, doesn't mean I don't get to have an opinion. I've met Jim and have shared a drink with him, so hopefully he knows my post was not a slight at him in anyway.

There is a conundrum every launch season, when comparing the current launch to the prior year gear.
The new gear is better, but how much better? Is it enough of an improvement to pull the trigger on an upgrade?

This is where the decision to upgrade gets personal, if you have an Epic Flash that you like and the gains are minimal, by all means keep it it’s a great club.

But if you are still in a XR16 or X2 Hot, you might want to take a hard look at the Mavrik line.
If you miss more on the heel side (like me), the Mavrik might be something that you want to look at, even though you have an Epic Flash. No one (including this Grandaddy Team) is saying that you need to get a new driver, especially if you have one that you like. They are just sharing their experience with the gear, and helping those of us that might be in the market for new gear make an informed decision.

Did Tour Pros embrace the Rogue line like this Mavrik release? I see a lot of orange and gray on tour?

Did Tour Pros embrace the Rogue line like this Mavrik release? I see a lot of orange and gray on tour?

I haven't seen many Rogue clubs in WITB updates so I think the answer is no, I think its been Epic, then Epic Flash and then Mavrik which says something.

There is a conundrum every launch season, when comparing the current launch to the prior year gear.
The new gear is better, but how much better? Is it enough of an improvement to pull the trigger on an upgrade?

This is where the decision to upgrade gets personal, if you have an Epic Flash that you like and the gains are minimal, by all means keep it it’s a great club.

But if you are still in a XR16 or X2 Hot, you might want to take a hard look at the Mavrik line.
If you miss more on the heel side (like me), the Mavrik might be something that you want to look at, even though you have an Epic Flash. No one (including this Grandaddy Team) is saying that you need to get a new driver, especially if you have one that you like. They are just sharing their experience with the gear, and helping those of us that might be in the market for new gear make an informed decision.

This is me to an absolute T haha

My comments/posts were not directed at him. @jim54 wasn't the only person who asked/questioned the closed look at address, so I provided a picture of what mine looks like at address to help provide perspective not to attack him or discredit what he is seeing at address. I understand Jim's affinity for Callaway and just because he spends more money with them than I do, doesn't mean I don't get to have an opinion. I've met Jim and have shared a drink with him, so hopefully he knows my post was not a slight at him in anyway.
Nobody said you can't have an opinion because of how much Jim spends with Callaway out of his own pocket. We want your opinion, at least I do, along with everyone else's, good or bad.

Jim gives his opinion and people came at him unfairly. I mean that's just reading between the lines sitting back from afar. Your exact quote was like "Here is a photo showing the driver and it isn't as drastic as some made it out to be.' That's a shot, at someone, maybe not Jim and I'd take you for your word. If that person says it's a closed face to their eye then that's with them. I felt the photo was a bit much, Richard-Esque. But again, we form our own opinions and welcome the feedback of everyone who got the Mavrik.

This is me to an absolute T haha
I think the Mavrik is better with the heel side miss that the Epic Flash (hit them both last night). No club is going to fix club to path issues, but tech can help make the miss less penal.

Nobody said you can't have an opinion because of how much Jim spends with Callaway out of his own pocket. We want your opinion, at least I do, along with everyone else's, good or bad.

Jim gives his opinion and people came at him unfairly. I mean that's just reading between the lines sitting back from afar. Your exact quote was like "Here is a photo showing the driver and it isn't as drastic as some made it out to be.' That's a shot, at someone, maybe not Jim and I'd take you for your word. If that person says it's a closed face to their eye then that's with them. I felt the photo was a bit much, Richard-Esque. But again, we form our own opinions and welcome the feedback of everyone who got the Mavrik.

I think the bolded is actually necessary to get the full picture.

It is one thing to say the driver sits close/open, but to actually have a picture makes it more "real"

I look forward to seeing mine in person tonight and making my own judgements, but pictures can help other people visualize what words cannot.

From what we learned the Rogue fairways were a big hit and usually the hardest to get swapped out (see Henrik Stenson), even the ZooCrew had Rogue FW's in because they liked them so much. So I'm guessing you'll see more Drivers make the quick transition and fairways later as they are dialed in because they are rocket launchers.

From what we learned the Rogue fairways were a big hit and usually the hardest to get swapped out (see Henrik Stenson), even the ZooCrew had Rogue FW's in because they liked them so much. So I'm guessing you'll see more Drivers make the quick transition and fairways later as they are dialed in because they are rocket launchers.
The Rogue FW was the MVP of that line in my opinion.

I will say the flash was loud, but I liked it. The Mav is a bit too muted for my taste.

Yea I can see that completely. FW's are more precise than drivers. Pros don't just want as much distance. FW's are specific distances and once you get to them, with as much consistency and forgiveness that the Rouge's gave, it's hard to swap. Drivers you just want the most distance for the most part while getting the forgiveness you need.

By far. The 3 wood is stupid. Going to be hard to beat that one for me.

I'm really not interested in the driver, outside of some quick demoing. I changed to Flash late last and have enjoyed the hell out of it. The fairway woods certainly have my attention. Rogue FW's were damn good although I didn't make that change. But I feel like if Maverick ends up in the bag, it will be in that spot.

I'm excited to get a chance to put this one against my Epic Flash. Think its unlikely I switch, but I know better than to say absolutely not.

Take it easy fellas.

I am still at a loss for how this equates as a staunch defense. I am sorry. I feel like I have been as impartial as I can be and haven't shot down anyone's opinions. In this particular case, he said they were all closed. That is not what I had seen at their HQ or in my own driver. I posted a picture of it. I don't mean any ill will regarding it and if it was taken as such, that wasn't my intent. No personal attacks. No arguing. Just a picture of my driver showing it's open face angle.

Citing how many Callaway clubs he has owned has nothing to do with it. Nor does last years discussions. It has nothing to do with the brand. It was as simple as this. He said they were closed, I don't see that and posted a picture of my head to relay what I am seeing. If you can figure out a better way to relay aesthetics than to post pictures, I am all ears. The picture wasn't as much to prove him wrong, but to provide a different perspective to those who have not seen it who just read a post stating that they are all closed.

I think the bolded is actually necessary to get the full picture.

It is one thing to say the driver sits close/open, but to actually have a picture makes it more "real"

I look forward to seeing mine in person tonight and making my own judgements, but pictures can help other people visualize what words cannot.
The bolded part is what I'm more interested in. How many times have we said photos don't tell the whole story of a certain product? Even with photos people have critiqued a certain product line, no matter the OEM. Each OEM and THP are emphasizing to be fit more than ever, that tells the real story to the Golfer, how it looks/feels when they swing.

NVGOLFER80 said:
I will say the flash was loud, but I liked it. The Mav is a bit too muted for my taste.
And that is perfect. A buddy of mine also got the Flash and he embraces the fact that when he hits a good drive on the 4th hole that the clubhouse hears the drive. Their is nothing wrong with that, it's just acknowledging that the driver was loud, and to me performance will trump sound 10 days out of 10.

The Rogue was also disliked by some for being too muted, sort of like how you feel about the Mavrik. That's ok! Hah.

I think the same thing will happen overtime once the FW's get dialed in.

I think the Mavrik is better with the heel side miss that the Epic Flash (hit them both last night). No club is going to fix club to path issues, but tech can help make the miss less penal.
Totally agree, you can have some heel shots with this and still get the ball out there a long ways. The ball speed retention across this face of this driver is high.

I think you are reading too much into my post and coming away with the wrong conclusion. That was not taking a shot at anyone & if @jim54 feels that way, then I welcome a conversation with him offline to get on the same page. I've never discounted, and never will, someone's perception of what a golf club looks like at address. If I'm coming into any golf equipment thread and read posts about a club looking closed at address or having too much offset, then I will tend to believe that until I can see it for myself.

As someone who you've met and been around, I would have expected to be given the benefit of the doubt that the photo wasn't "Richard-Esque".

I'm really not interested in the driver, outside of some quick demoing. I changed to Flash late last and have enjoyed the hell out of it. The fairway woods certainly have my attention. Rogue FW's were damn good although I didn't make that change. But I feel like if Maverick ends up in the bag, it will be in that spot.
I totally agree with you, I'm really not interested in the driver, outside of some quick demoing. I changed to Flash last year and really improved my FIR
I miss the Rogue FW's and should not have let them go - The Mavrik FW have my attention.

Back