Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

I am still at a loss for how this equates as a staunch defense. I am sorry. I feel like I have been as impartial as I can be and haven't shot down anyone's opinions. In this particular case, he said they were all closed. That is not what I had seen at their HQ or in my own driver. I posted a picture of it. I don't mean any ill will regarding it and if it was taken as such, that wasn't my intent. No personal attacks. No arguing. Just a picture of my driver showing it's open face angle.

Citing how many Callaway clubs he has owned has nothing to do with it. Nor does last years discussions. It has nothing to do with the brand. It was as simple as this. He said they were closed, I don't see that and posted a picture of my head to relay what I am seeing. If you can figure out a better way to relay aesthetics than to post pictures, I am all ears. The picture wasn't as much to prove him wrong, but to provide a different perspective to those who have not seen it who just read a post stating that they are all closed.
Alright this will be my closing reply to this.

I agree that you have been impartial and I like your reviews of each line, specifically driver because that and a driving hybrid(Super Hybrid?) are the only products I'm in the market for in 2020, if it's better than what I have of course. How a driver looks is simply opinion, Jim gave his and that should be respected, I don't think you're disputing that.

Citing how many clubs he has owned from Callaway was just making a point, he knows what he likes and doesn't like. He's made upgrades year after year so if he says something is closed, based on his past experiences with the driver, then it's good to read another perspective.

You see the driver as open or not closed, whatever, he sees it as closed. It's based on your eye and his eye, nothing more nothing less. I just felt since he said that then we get people refuting his claims with photos and also indicating it isn't that drastic.

I think we would ALL agree that the best thing would be to hit the driver yourself and see what you like and dislike. It's appreciated the feedback you have given as well as Jim.

I'm Out.

and @jim54 is not the only one that has not seen performance improvements in the Mavrik.
In Rick Shiels review, he did not gain distance over the EF.

I have heard tales of closed club faces. I generally fight a draw hook ball and I have not seen one bit of evidence that the mav is hook biased. Unless you are talking the draw version. I hit the sub and it is about as fade bias as anything out there.

Well 'hook' is an extreme word.

I only had one rushed session hitting them. As I said then, I don't want to call the standard mav draw biased based on just that, but it did appear to slightly be (at least for my swing) when I was hitting it. I'm more comfortable working right to left and can mishit and overdraw more often than unintentionally fade/slice. I would only lean towards calling it slightly draw biased based on how it seemed to fight me more when I did try to work it left to right. I could hit it straight, and draw it (and overdraw it), but I had to work my *ss off to get it to cut or fade with an consistency. More so than a lot of other past standard offerings like an M6, Flash, F9.. . I know others here that haven't had any trouble so it's all individual and will be described differently because of that.

I also mentioned then that I could work the SZ left to right surprisingly easy, while still hitting my standard high draw. So I'm with you on it probably being a little fade bias. That's one of the things I loved about the GBB Epic SZ. It seemed to have an ever so slight fade bias, but I could still hit my standard shot at will. For me, that's useful under normal conditions and seems doubly so in situations of fatigue where my mechanics break down and my tendencies can get exaggerated. Really hoping that holds true with my new Mavrik.

I thought I knew which one looked more closed to me, but you guys have my memory all spun out now. lol I checked my post and I did mention that the difference in how they look at address was more pronounced to me when I got them indoors, but I didn't actually say/write which. Honestly, I think I felt like the SZ looked more closed than the standard, but I don't want to commit to it now with my terrible memory and the very ... passionate (?) views being expressed on the subject. :D

and @jim54 is not the only one that has not seen performance improvements in the Mavrik.
In Rick Shiels review, he did not gain distance over the EF.
And this is imperative. Gotta try it out and see what it has to offer for your own game. It's not going to fit everyone. And, in terms of outperforming a year old club, that's a tall order for any OEM in my opinion.

I am still at a loss for how this equates as a staunch defense. I am sorry. I feel like I have been as impartial as I can be and haven't shot down anyone's opinions. In this particular case, he said they were all closed. That is not what I had seen at their HQ or in my own driver. I posted a picture of it. I don't mean any ill will regarding it and if it was taken as such, that wasn't my intent. No personal attacks. No arguing. Just a picture of my driver showing it's open face angle.

Citing how many Callaway clubs he has owned has nothing to do with it. Nor does last years discussions. It has nothing to do with the brand. It was as simple as this. He said they were closed, I don't see that and posted a picture of my head to relay what I am seeing. If you can figure out a better way to relay aesthetics than to post pictures, I am all ears. The picture wasn't as much to prove him wrong, but to provide a different perspective to those who have not seen it who just read a post stating that they are all closed.
I will pop in one last time and then leave it to you guys, but 1st off thank you Cobra for having my back on this.
I clearly stated to my eye they seemed closed and coming from a 2 deg. Open club they appeared that way to me.. but and maybe it has nothing to do with the club being open or closed if you loosely hold the flash TD in your hand it will roll open on it's own, when I did the same thing with the Mavriks they all wanted to close IMO.
I still have one in my Callaway cart and would have ordered it last night if I had experienced even a bit more goodness, yesterday I did not so it is still sitting there. Maybe a different day would show better results, who knows. I am at the doc now to try and get fixed up so there's that.

Carry on folks...

I think the Mavrik is better with the heel side miss that the Epic Flash (hit them both last night). No club is going to fix club to path issues, but tech can help make the miss less penal.
Totally agree, you can have some heel shots with this and still get the ball out there a long ways. The ball speed retention across this face of this driver is high.

I agree too, even with the SZ model. I tend to miss heel side here and there and it seems to me that the Mavrik SZ is much more forgiving with that miss than the EF SZ was.

And this is imperative. Gotta try it out and see what it has to offer for your own game. It's not going to fit everyone. And, in terms of outperforming a year old club, that's a tall order for any OEM in my opinion.
Well said. Jailbreak in my epic driver was a huge jump for my game, the rogue didn't do as much for me in comparison, the flash did and I'm sure the maverick, compared to my epic, will be a big jump in performance.

I will pop in one last time and then leave it to you guys, but 1st off thank you Cobra for having my back on this.
I clearly stated to my eye they seemed closed and coming from a 2 deg. Open club they appeared that way to me.. but and maybe it has nothing to do with the club being open or closed if you loosely hold the flash TD in your hand it will roll open on it's own, when I did the same thing with the Mavriks they all wanted to close IMO.
I still have one in my Callaway cart and would have ordered it last night if I had experienced even a bit more goodness, yesterday I did not so it is still sitting there. Maybe a different day would show better results, who knows. I am at the doc now to try and get fixed up so there's that.

Carry on folks...

For what it is worth. I play the Triple diamond head as well. 10.5 set to minus one. So I understand what you are coming from.

There now lets get back on topic. I think we have covered the open/closed argument.
The real issues here is do you order early and take a chance or get fit?
Adapters are the same so shafts are interchangeable on drivers.

Definitely get fit!!! I would have blind bought the SZ and the Regular would have been a better play

Adapters are the same so shafts are interchangeable on drivers.

Yeah, speaking of adapters... can anyone who already has their Mavrik kindly run to a lumber yard/hardware store and get a color code scan on the orange please?!?!

I really don't want to have to wait until mine arrive to refinish one of my callaway adapters to match. :p

Definitely get fit!!! I would have blind bought the SZ and the Regular would have been a better play
Regulahhhhhhhhhh

It's definitely fun.

FWIW Jim, I hope you don't bow out of the convo's. Everyone on both sides should know that a differing experience is not a dig, its just what they saw, and there is no reason to jump all over that experience.

I'm really not interested in the driver, outside of some quick demoing. I changed to Flash late last and have enjoyed the hell out of it. The fairway woods certainly have my attention. Rogue FW's were damn good although I didn't make that change. But I feel like if Maverick ends up in the bag, it will be in that spot.
Dude.....

Dude.

after two days on the tour truck, I am going Mavrik crazy and it is freaking awesome....... The drivers are doing great. Fairways are being ordered up by staffers and non staffers (can't be named). Hybrids are being tested in the 17-18* and 20* lofts. Just amazing to see a product launch being accepted and sought after without a major push by OEM. Just incredible.

after two days on the tour truck, I am going Mavrik crazy and it is freaking awesome....... The drivers are doing great. Fairways are being ordered up by staffers and non staffers (can't be named). Hybrids are being tested in the 17-18* and 20* lofts. Just amazing to see a product launch being accepted and sought after without a major push by OEM. Just incredible.
That’s quite cool.

That's awesome. Two days in the tour truck? That probably didn't suck.

C7CBE3D6-17C9-44FB-A538-92F9FE1E3AD4.jpeg

That was what I thought was a pretty big miss.?

Back