Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

I'm really curious to see how you feel about the rogue white and the new mavriks in general, but especially the SZ because we both love playing a GBB Epic SZ 9 dialed down to 8 with a rogue silver 70. Which I did put on during testing. My responses here after were kind of scattered because I hit everything in a rush or during a lot of other activity, so you probably didn't see them. Makes me doubly curious to hear your reactions/results.

I did not see them I'll go back and read them. IDK that I'll get a definitive opinion until I can hit one outside and actually play a few rounds with it. I always tend to hit it differently on the course than I do on the range or indoors. I'd like to order one and just figure the shaft out as I go but obviously I'd like to order one with a shaft that I have a chance of using for more than a few rounds.

I did not see them I'll go back and read them. IDK that I'll get a definitive opinion until I can hit one outside and actually play a few rounds with it. I always tend to hit it differently on the course than I do on the range or indoors. I'd like to order one and just figure the shaft out as I go but obviously I'd like to order one with a shaft that I have a chance of using for more than a few rounds.

No, no, no! Don't! See what you think and then look after if you want. lol

I'm with you on the course testing. I don't know if it's just because I've only hit into a screen a few times or what, but my results with an actual downrange target area are usually pretty different. I got to hit a SZ on a netted range a few times and then on course during a round first though. On an indoor monitor after that. My results with the SZ and standard were in some ways surprising, and in other ways as expected. All good though, and I do think you'll like it/them.

I'm excited to get the Mavrik on the launch monitor soon as I've already decided I'm buying one. I want my swing a little more dialed in before I go through a full fitting as I've only played 4 rounds since the end of October when our club shut down for the winter.

I'm sure the SZ version will be the one and I'm intrigued to see how the new "made for" Rogue White 130 msi shaft performs compared to my gamer, a Rogue 70 I/O 110 msi. The Rogue Silver 130 msi shaft has been good for me in other heads but Callaway is charging an extra $300 for it with the Mavrik.

The Rogue isn't Made For, it is a Real Deal shaft.

I hit a MAVRIK today at Dick's. I hit it with the Evenflow Riptide and the Rogue. It sounded great, but something about the weight of the shafts didn't set with me. I didn't see anything out of it that would make me think with a proper fitting I could get better than my TS3 which is good for my wallet.

I’d really like to know what that feels like bc ive been on the heel too lol
I'm thinking I need to burn some PTO and make the hour drive to the Trackman place again. I'm starting to forget how sweet this thing feels at impact.

Finally got to hit the Mavrik. Liked the feel and sound is definitely improved over the Epic Flash. I didn't see any real improvement over my Epic Flash SZ but I also wasn't hitting my driver well. Did feel like I could shape it a little easier but no real data to back it up.

Finally got to hit the Mavrik. Liked the feel and sound is definitely improved over the Epic Flash. I didn't see any real improvement over my Epic Flash SZ but I also wasn't hitting my driver well. Did feel like I could shape it a little easier but no real data to back it up.
What version were you hitting? SZ?

What version were you hitting? SZ?

Regular. Spin was up which I expected. Launch angle was higher on same static loft which I didn't expect. Hit it using my existing Oban shaft. The guy before me hit a ball off the crown and cracked the only SZ they had. 117 mph swing + missed face = dead head

I haven't read the entire thread, but those of you have played the Epic Flash, how does the new Mavrik driver/fairway woods compare?

Thanks!

That's good to know that they are including a $350 shaft in a $500 driver. It's always interesting with OEM shaft offerings.

With all the shafts I've owned and tried over the years I still don't hit anything better than the Aldila Tour Green that I have in my fairway woods. Interestingly it's one of Aldila's least expensive shafts and still used on Tour - Jon Rahm still uses it in his driver and 3 wood.

Can confirm reports that the Mavrik makes ball go far. Maybe @mikeg_74 wont notice his driver missing.

shaft change unlocked a few more yards on the back nine. I think that combo will be the gamer for a while.

2 rounds with mine. It is about 6 or 7 yards longer than my best driver ever , the TS4.

I said I was not going to do it, but the Mavrik SZ is ordered, 9* with the 60X Rogue white.

Took my 9* SZ TD flash back in this morning and hit about 15 balls set at D/ -1 (CSx balls I brought) and was seeing 89-92 CS with 130's ball speed spin 2,300-2,600 not bad for me about what I expect.
Put my shaft into the Mavrik SZ 9* set a D/-1 and immediately saw 94-95 CS on the next 5 balls with some ball speed into the 140's spin about the same, put the heavy weight in the front and saw 95-96 CS with ball speed staying in the 140's and spin below 2,300 and a couple of pulls below 2,000 which went 270 with roll, but that is not realistic for florida.

Put my shaft into the reg Mavrik and saw CS at a steady 95 but the spin went back up and was a bit harder to control.

Then for giggles put in the 60X Rogue and the numbers were darn close to the Blue bullet and CS again 95-96 but had a more right tendency

The Blue Bullet just works and with the heavy weight forward it was pretty impressive on the SIM, Out in the wild who knows but since I got some stuff to trade the Driver cost me zero and I get a dozen balls to boot.

I am not a big hype guy and was very negative earlier in the week about this Driver, but I was also not feeling well and not swinging well so I was feeling negative. I WAS WRONG and retrack my statements about it, but side by side the Flash SZ TD and Mavrik SZ are quite different at address.

If I had not compared my Driver directly to the Mavrik SZ with my shaft I would not have believe the club shape or whatever they did could give me 5-6 more mph instantly, that puts a shorter iron in my hand and that is always good.

Good to hear that this worked out for you!

I’m not buying it yet at this point. The Rogue White previously or can maybe still be purchased in TX in a couple different weights and was released last year as TX only. Based on the options via Callaway and what is listed on the Aldila website, they don’t even list the TX version anymore. It’s not been uncommon practice for Aldila to use different materials in their TX variants (Xtorsion series for one). MRC has done it as well with some previous lines (D+ etc had a TX version in multiple weights that used different materials), and since Aldila is now a subsidiary of MRC, perhaps there is some overlap there.

I’m not buying it yet at this point. The Rogue White previously or can maybe still be purchased in TX in a couple different weights and was released last year as TX only. Based on the options via Callaway and what is listed on the Aldila website, they don’t even list the TX version anymore. It’s not been uncommon practice for Aldila to use different materials in their TX variants (Xtorsion series for one). MRC has done it as well with some previous lines (D+ etc had a TX version in multiple weights that used different materials), and since Aldila is now a subsidiary of MRC, perhaps there is some overlap there.

I will trust the THPers who were in Carlsbad talking directly to Callaway about it.

Saw a tip and after poking around on Callaway's site, there are some pretty good Oban options at no upcharge. Hashimoto is free as is kiyoshi HB. The other Kiyoshi shafts are $100 upcharge which is a steal if you ask me. I almost paid $400 for one last Spring.

Last edited:
I haven't read the entire thread, but those of you have played the Epic Flash, how does the new Mavrik driver/fairway woods compare?

Thanks!
Mavrik driver sounds more like a carbon fiber driver, kinda Rogue like IMO. I saw no ball speed differences between the two. Dispersion with Mavrik was really impressive, I suspect it may be more forgiving.

Back