Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

Some people like a driver length between 44" and 45" (even pros) if they don't lose speed because they can make better strike. If you order a shorter shafted driver, I'm sure Callaway will properly weight the driver. Ping did that with mine.

I don’t want to sound like a broker record but Mavrik Max has to be one of my best purchase that I can remember.

Last equipment that I remember that I had this feeling was R7 HT driver.

Everything just perfect. I even like the way it look from address. Y’all got to hit it on course to really appreciated.
Awesome awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got my standard in today. Oh boy it is pretty!

Packed it up for my flight tomorrow to Orlando, and get to break it out at Celebration GC on Sunday.

have yet to hit it, so unsure how well I will get along with the riptide 60 shaft, so going to bring my Motore Speeder 6.2 along with in case I need it on the range.

Std on top
SZ on bottom

Winner, winner! Ding ding! Standard head in the top portion, Sub Zero head at the bottom.

Look at the spin differences, wild.

Who could see that coming?

Not sure how, but the Standard head continued to deliver crazy low spin for me. The ball speeds looked fantastic for me, but crazy low spin.
I guess the std head CG placement reacts very poorly with my swing (faults).

TBH, I’m glad I didn’t get the best numbers with the std head as I find it to be the least appealing head shape at address. The rear bulge appears toe side to my eye and I find it very unappealing. I would much prefer the Max head shape over it. I also didn’t particularly care for the sound/feel of it.

362D6A1E-DFFB-4A16-BF34-EE8C44507AE8.jpeg

I tried the Max head and I did like the stretched setup of it. I could see it feeling very easy on course and confidence inspiring. I did work with the Max head at 10.5 and my numbers were good with it. Hit a few bombs but it did move left a bit on me and for some reason I was a bit erratic with it. When he first handed it to me, I did notice the heavy weight was heel side. After a half dozen hits we moved it to the back onlf the head and dropped the loft one degree. Very nice, but the Sub Zero just beat it in terms of consistency. I didn’t lo e the feel of the Max in that the head felt a bit empty, similar to how my Ping G400Max feels. Certainly playable. I could very easily play the max head. I would likely try some toe side hot melt maybe to get a bit more head weight and solidify the head feel a bit.

The SZ head was just a special head for me. I still can’t wrap my head around why the spin on it suited my swing. And the feel....ohhhh the feel!!! Of all the driver swings I made over the 3 hour journey, the SZ head is just addictive. Its like puring a blade and everything else feels like a SGI shovel. Every time I went back to the SZ head, it was like a home cooked meal.

I think I may now be the poster child for encouraging people to get a fitting.

I think many of us gear heads put these clubs into boxes for certain people based on speeds etc. but there is more at play and your own unique swing may lead you to a box you (and your fitter) don’t see coming.

I tried the TaylorMade SIM and the spin was just too low for me. The Max could have been a contender had I bothered, but after hitting the SZ prior, the feel wasn’t even close and turned me off so much.
Tried the Titleist line TS4 (too low spin for me), TS2 (hated the head shape but reasonable results) and TS3 (sets up similar to the SZ, again reasonable numbers but no).
My fitter never handed me the Cobra line and I wish I had tried it, but I was a bit obsessed with the Mavrik line and focused on hitting what he gave me. I also didn’t hit the new Mizuno lineup, but would have liked to. Driver fitting is a bit challenging, as the old body only has so many swings a day in it. I’m happy he gave me the second day to demo some more. Seems like a solid approach to driver fitting would be to do it over at least two days.

I tried the Max head and I did like the stretched setup of it. I could see it feeling very easy on course and confidence inspiring. I did work with the Max head at 10.5 and my numbers were good with it. Hit a few bombs but it did move left a bit on me and for some reason I was a bit erratic with it. When he first handed it to me, I did notice the heavy weight was heel side. After a half dozen hits we moved it to the back onlf the head and dropped the loft one degree. Very nice, but the Sub Zero just beat it in terms of consistency. I didn’t lo e the feel of the Max in that the head felt a bit empty, similar to how my Ping G400Max feels. Certainly playable. I could very easily play the max head. I would likely try some toe side hot melt maybe to get a bit more head weight and solidify the head feel a bit.

The SZ head was just a special head for me. I still can’t wrap my head around why the spin on it suited my swing. And the feel....ohhhh the feel!!! Of all the driver swings I made over the 3 hour journey, the SZ head is just addictive. Its like puring a blade and everything else feels like a SGI shovel. Every time I went back to the SZ head, it was like a home cooked meal.

I think I may now be the poster child for encouraging people to get a fitting.

I think many of us gear heads put these clubs into boxes for certain people based on speeds etc. but there is more at play and your own unique swing may lead you to a box you (and your fitter) don’t see coming.

I tried the TaylorMade SIM and the spin was just too low for me. The Max could have been a contender had I bothered, but after hitting the SZ prior, the feel wasn’t even close and turned me off so much.
Tried the Titleist line TS4 (too low spin for me), TS2 (hated the head shape but reasonable results) and TS3 (sets up similar to the SZ, again reasonable numbers but no).
My fitter never handed me the Cobra line and I wish I had tried it, but I was a bit obsessed with the Mavrik line and focused on hitting what he gave me. I also didn’t hit the new Mizuno lineup, but would have liked to. Driver fitting is a bit challenging, as the old body only has so many swings a day in it. I’m happy he gave me the second day to demo some more. Seems like a solid approach to driver fitting would be to do it over at least two days.
Glad you found one that really works for you! Sounds like it’s gonna be a fun season with the driver.

Glad you found one that really works for you! Sounds like it’s gonna be a fun season with the driver.

Yeah, need to place an order perhaps.

Yeah, need to place an order perhaps.
You mean you haven’t pulled the trigger yet!? Haha, with those numbers I’d definitely be making the jump!

Fun little side note: as many of you know, the Bridgestone ball came out yesterday. I mentioned it to my fitter (he didn’t know) and mentioned how I had just bought a box yada yada. He tells me to hold on, goes and grabs a box and gives me a sleeve to continue my testing. So many of my numbers from the 2/3 of yesterdays fitting were with the Tour B X ball.

You mean you haven’t pulled the trigger yet!? Haha, with those numbers I’d definitely be making the jump!
I live in NY, so no particular rush yah know.

Here is one of my last swings with the following setup: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero, 10.5 set neutral, stated with a Hashimoto 65 05 flex shaft. This shaft was less stout than the AD BB 7X and felt easier to swing. This is what I will likely order.
BCB90D5E-706D-423A-91BA-9B96D48C4534.jpeg
AD29E7E5-2DED-459D-A869-6032C91CFB9B.jpeg
F3BCF378-E1E2-4697-A752-4176D26922F4.jpeg

Hashimoto is a really nice option. So, SZ with a Hashimoto is the winner?
I think so. Wish I could have tried any Ventus velocore shafts but they didnt have them. I may be able to go with the draw setting and/or perhaps +1 loft to mKe sure the spin doesn't get too low. The SZ also reacted extremely well to some random drop kicks I threw at it.

I neglected to mention that we also tried the EF SZ model and man the sound was not appealing in comparison to the Mavrik. The numbers were also not there for me with the same shafts.

So it appears the Koepka experiment is continuing. He ditched his SIM after a round or two for the Sub Zero and is playing it with a Mitsubishi Tensei AV shaft.

So it appears the Koepka experiment is continuing. He ditched his SIM after a round or two for the Sub Zero and is playing it with a Mitsubishi Tensei AV shaft.
It’s a big story. Imo.

Namely that he 1) changed mid tourney last event and 2) dropped the SIM so quick.

Gosh could you imagine Brooks in a G410 LS. 325 butter cut fairway finder

Went to Golf USA in Manhattan today to get on their sky track an put some swings on the Mavrik Standard head. I was fit into the Max at ECPC so this was just a test comparison.
There is definitely not the amount of forgiveness as my Max IMO. I have a negative AOA, but the Standard head seemed to tame the spin just fine, it never crept about 2700, but did have a few swings where it dropped quite low for me down to the 2000-2100 range.
I did have to set it down to -1/N so that it was setup the same as my Max.
We should be able to play outside tomorrow so will do some on course testing and see how the ball flight is on the eye test.

New Driver Day - picked this up this morning. Took a few whacks in the bay and I love it :love:

IMG_5809.jpgIMG_5814.jpgIMG_5818.jpgIMG_5819.jpgIMG_5823.jpg

Interesting morning with the Mavrik SZ and the new GD AD XC 6S shaft, started with the heavy weight forward (D /-1) where I have been having excellent results with the GD AD BB 7X and hit some good drives about the same distance as the BB but felt a little off, could have been the slightly lighter weight and flex but it seemed to play pretty stout for a Stiff flex.

At the turn I put the heavy weight in the back (D/-1) and drove it though the fairway on 10 and again on 11, just felt 100% better with better launch and a lot more carry.

Go figure, not sure if the XC 6s is spinning less which it certainly could be so the heavy weight forward was taking too much off to get good results. Going to leave it there for tomorrow's round and see how she works. Playing a wide open course with pretty hard fairways so it should be fun.

Overall very happy with the XC 6S as an upgrade.

Little February Texas golf today. 74 degrees, wind 5-10mph and sunny. :p

Went to the range yesterday to work on a little grip change I'm attempting to make and hit some really good flighted balls. Now to see if it translates to the course. Platinum seems to be retired with the new shaft addition.

Back