Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

Yeah dude, there is nothing about 2800-3000 being "higher" spin, for what that is worth, particularly when talking about a non-crazy swing speed and playing in a part of the US like you do where carry is king.

That is heavily swing dependent. I hit my Max at around 2300 and the Standard around 2250, so the difference has been less than the the accented talking heads on youtube want many to believe.
If I hit good a true fade, I'm around 2800. If I get lucky, and hit a draw, I'm no more than 2300.
At least that what GG's GC2 shows

I'm playing EF Standard -1/N
To me, and take this with a grain of salt because I never played the standard EF, the standard Mavrik is not as much as an apples to apples comparison to the standard models of years past. The head doesn't seem as elongated. And, from what they're telling us, they expect the standard to fit a wider range of players.

So, I would probably start with it as a baseline. But, others have been seeing great success with the Max as well. I personally think if a guy really is looking to kill spin, the SZ is a great option just simply for the fact that you can move that heavy weight forward and shave off a couple hundred more RPM. When I tested it with the heavy weight forward, I found it to be reasonably consistent. I was expecting a hard to hit unforgiving low spin monster. But, was pleasantly surprised with how playable it was.

Well, here is the reason I posted:
Yeah dude, there is nothing about 2800-3000 being "higher" spin, for what that is worth, particularly when talking about a non-crazy swing speed and playing in a part of the US like you do where carry is king.

That is heavily swing dependent. I hit my Max at around 2300 and the Standard around 2250, so the difference has been less than the the accented talking heads on youtube want many to believe.
Well, here is the reason I posted what I did.
I’m Tankiesdad on IG
E8CF1623-F9A9-43C0-8EBC-55014DA7D679.jpegA
So I figured if Will is going to give me a shaft, I might as well have him build me a driver. Make Sense?

Btw, looks like the bonus may be working again on Callaway’s website...

TXG just posted a surprising video on the Mavrik vs the Rogue SZ. Interesting watch.

Well, here is the reason I posted:

Well, here is the reason I posted what I did.
I’m Tankiesdad on IG
View attachment 8928282A
So I figured if Will is going to give me a shaft, I might as well have him build me a driver. Make Sense?
Dude that's awesome! That shaft is in my wish list.

So "Skimmer Alert" right up front....
I'm a "Higher Spin" player off the driver 2800-3000.
Any thoughts from the Grandaddy participants on which model might help drop my spin?

personally i'm not sure i'd call that "high spin," at least relative to average swing speeds.

the standard driver is pretty low spin from my testing. but the max is not really high spin. I honestly think the Max should be everyone's default, then if it's not working for some reason they can look to the Standard or SZ.

personally i'm not sure i'd call that "high spin," at least relative to average swing speeds.

the standard driver is pretty low spin from my testing. but the max is not really high spin. I honestly think the Max should be everyone's default, then if it's not working for some reason they can look to the Standard or SZ.
Spin is really delivery dependent and I haven't seen any reviews touting the Max as high spin. I wish our store had a 10.5 Max head I could've tested at -1/N as my normal miss is left. The increase in lie was a concern so opening the face would offset that. For now, I feel the shaft pairing with the standard head should keep spin lower and I'm really excited about putting the standard head to head against my EF SZ.

To me, and take this with a grain of salt because I never played the standard EF, the standard Mavrik is not as much as an apples to apples comparison to the standard models of years past. The head doesn't seem as elongated. And, from what they're telling us, they expect the standard to fit a wider range of players.

So, I would probably start with it as a baseline. But, others have been seeing great success with the Max as well. I personally think if a guy really is looking to kill spin, the SZ is a great option just simply for the fact that you can move that heavy weight forward and shave off a couple hundred more RPM. When I tested it with the heavy weight forward, I found it to be reasonably consistent. I was expecting a hard to hit unforgiving low spin monster. But, was pleasantly surprised with how playable it was.

I agree with this so much. I'm pretty spinny compared to my peers @Iceman! and have played previous sub zero's a lot, but the standard isn't the typical standard with this. The shape is great, and I was faster and longer with the standard than the SZ. The standard spun a little more, but only about 160 rpm, and still slightly less than my EF SZ. Different setups, and different sessions for the EF numbers, but still. My eventual choice of the SZ wasn't based on any of the reasons 85% of people choose their driver. The data wanted me to choose the standard, and I feel like the sub zero is going to end up being 'optimal' for a very small segment of players.

As more of my friends have bought their Mavriks, and bought them based on past experiences/biases, I think there's going to be a lot of them backtracking into a different head eventually. The SZs ending up with a standard (or max), and the standards ending up in a max. I really think the Mavrik requires a little mental recalibration of expectations based on label/name.

Last edited:
I agree with this so much. I'm pretty spinny compared to my peers @Iceman! and have played previous sub zero's a lot, but the standard isn't the typical standard with this. The shape is great, and I was faster and longer with the standard than the SZ. The standard spun a little more, but only about 160 rpm, and still slightly less than my EF SZ. Different setups, and different sessions, but still. My eventual choice of the SZ wasn't based on any of the reasons 85% of people choose their driver. The data wanted me to choose the standard, and I feel like the sub zero is going to end up being 'optimal' for a very small segment of players.

As more of my friends have bought their Mavriks, and bought them based on past experiences/biases, I think there's going to be a lot of them backtracking into a different head eventually. The SZs ending up with a standard (or max), and the standards ending up in a max. I really think the Mavrik requires a little mental recalibration of expectations based on label/name.
This is true 110%. A guy really has to give them all a try if they can. I know it can be hard depending on available resources and we don't all have access to a quality fitting. But, even demoing them when presented the opportunity may open some eyes.

TXG just posted a surprising video on the Mavrik vs the Rogue SZ. Interesting watch.
Honestly that's most of the reason I didnt get wowed by the new Mavrik (I was coming from the Epic FLash Subzero). I didnt find any improvement at all, so I went with the SIM where I actually noted increased distance and ball speed. Not a knock on them, still the mavrik is the second best driver of 2020 (for me). Could be the top dog for many.

I hate being the guy that jumps all over a thread in what would look like adamant defense of something, because it's all just our own singular experiences that drive most of our opinions. That's part of why I don't love TXG driver reviews with Matty swinging it though. It's just his results, and he maxes out the gear pretty well, which really limits opportunities to see different results. I love watching when they fit other people's swings and swing speeds.

For me it compares to the Rogue a little. I was/am a huge fan of the GBB Epic SZ. Suits me beautifully. The Rogue SZ was faster for me. Pretty easily. Faster, longer, most people's minds, better. I couldn't find a single setup I wanted to game with it though. I couldn't keep the shot shape I wanted well at all. So I chose the Epic over just about every new diver until late last summer. I'm going to mention @tahoebum so he sees this, because he's kind of the same. I also noticed the other day that there are a couple top LPGA players still playing it off the tee. Seriously underrated club imo for some. They talk in their video about how similar the mavrik and rogue look, little different in the toe, etc. etc. When I first saw pictures I thought it looked more like the Epic SZ. So my hope was that it played a little more like that, but with more Rogue-like speed, and maybe better forgiveness than both. And so far, that's exactly how I would describe it.

I don't have a rogue SZ on hand to compare at the moment, but I'll take a couple pictures of the mav and epic next to each other. All three sit/rest REALLY differently, have a little different crown and tail sweep, etc but when I was playing with heads the other night I was surprised how similar the epic and mav sz's can look when you hold them at the same angle (the epic and rogue sit/sat closed to my eye when shafted and being held, the mav a lot less so). So when you open up the face of the epic a little (another thing I know @tahoebum does as a -1 adjusted player) it's kind of surprising.

Wife helped me out holding them for a pic, so I'll edit it in. Like I said, they sit/rest very differently. When unshafted the epic sits more like the Mav standard, but like I said, you tilt them into the same strike orientation and this is what you get.

20200218_125904.jpg

Except the Mav is definitely more forgiving than the Epic so far, which is surely part of the newer tech/ai face/etc, and at least as fast as the Rogue. For me, and my totally bias swing, results, and opinion that is. lol And I dig it.

Now my UDI showed up while typing this so excuse me while I go have fun with it instead of talking about things I don't know much about. :p

Last edited:
I hate being the guy that jumps all over a thread in what would look like adamant defense of something, because it's all just our own singular experiences that drive most of our opinions. That's part of why I don't love TXG driver reviews with Matty swinging it though. It's just his results, and he maxes out the gear pretty well, which really limits opportunities to see different results. I love watching when they fit other people's swings and swing speeds.

For me it compares to the Rogue a little. I was/am a huge fan of the GBB Epic SZ. Suits me beautifully. The Rogue SZ was faster for me. Pretty easily. Faster, longer, most people's minds, better. I couldn't find a single setup I wanted to game with it though. I couldn't keep the shot shape I wanted well at all. So I chose the Epic over just about every new diver until late last summer. I'm going to mention @tahoebum so he sees this, because he's kind of the same. I also noticed the other day that there are a couple top LPGA players still playing it off the tee. Seriously underrated club imo for some. They talk in their video about how similar the mavrik and rogue look, little different in the toe, etc. etc. When I first saw pictures I thought it looked more like the Epic SZ. So my hope was that it played a little more like that, but with more Rogue-like speed, and maybe better forgiveness than both. And so far, that's exactly how I would describe it.

I don't have a rogue SZ on hand to compare at the moment, but I'll take a couple pictures of the mav and epic next to each other. All three sit/rest REALLY differently, have a little different crown and tail sweep, etc but when I was playing with heads the other night I was surprised how similar the epic and mav sz's can look when you hold them at the same angle (the epic and rogue sit/sat closed to my eye when shafted and being held, the mav a lot less so). So when you open up the face of the epic a little (another thing I know @tahoebum does as a -1 adjusted player) it's kind of surprising.

Wife just helped me out holding them for a pic, so I'll edit it in. Like I said, they sit/rest very differently. When unshafted the epic sits more like the Mav standard, but like I said, you tilt them into the same strike orientation and this is what you get.

View attachment 8928298

Except the Mav is definitely more forgiving than the Epic, which is definitely part of the newer tech/ai face/etc, and at least as fast as the Rogue. For me, and my totally bias swing, results, and opinion that is. And I dig it.

Now my UDI showed up while typing this so excuse me while I go have fun with it instead of talking about things I don't know much about. :p

I love TXG, but that's always the hard part of YouTube reviews. Matt's missing the center by a mm. I'm using the entire face. :LOL: And that's where the Mavrik line shines for me: retaining ball speeds across the face.

I think Matt also saw his best Mavrik numbers with the Standard but the Max wasn't far behind.

My miss is toe side and high on the face. The Std. Mavrik gives me good ball speed and I do not see the hook flight that I have seen with my previous drivers. I enjoy TXG videos and love Matt's swing. He can tell us the story of what a club is capable of but I will never be as fast as him or as good of a ball striker. I would like to see them do a review with the best shots and then have Matt purposely miss heel and toe side to get a better idea of what a club does for us mortals. The big story of the Mavrik is forgiveness and sound, If you hit the center of the face a lot then I doubt you will see a big improvement.

I love TXG, but that's always the hard part of YouTube reviews. Matt's missing the center by a mm. I'm using the entire face. :LOL: And that's where the Mavrik line shines for me: retaining ball speeds across the face.

I think Matt also saw his best Mavrik numbers with the Standard but the Max wasn't far behind.
He is a low spin player. I remember him saying during their Mavrik line testing, that the additional spin from the standard would have been a better head for him. The guy doesn't lack any speed and is pretty consistent with his strike pattern it would appear. I do wish they would publish more videos of them fitting more pedestrian swings. Show what these clubs do off center.

So first actual round of golf in with the Mavrik driver this weekend. Soggy ground and highs in the 50s. Overall I'm pretty impressed with this setup. Stuck with the stock setup due to a lack of real range time to compare anything else, but honestly think I could be just fine the way it is.

Distance wise, I was getting a little more than expected this time of year with ok strikes netting me in the 225-235 range. Didn't hit any crazy bombs but did stretch a few out close to 250, which is great for this time of year. What I really noticed with this driver over the EF was the forgiveness. With the shape my swing was in, I definitely needed it. Everything but the most wild misses were playable, and a good amount of time still in the fairway. Only lost one ball with driver off the tee, which is hopefully my single round limit for the year! Definitely some shots that I hit and thought I'd be in trouble, only to find my ball a little further up the fairway.

I know it's been beaten to death, but the sound is pretty fantastic here. Even had a couple of playing partners commented on it.

The only thing that was a little weird for me was the feel throughout the swing. I'm sure it's just me, but the Mavrik felt lighter in hand than my EF/HZRDUS Yellow gamer from last year. Need some more time to justify that, as the results are certainly there. I definitely took it inside and weighed everything to be sure. The EF & Mav heads weigh in at 192 if anyone cares. Only 4 grams of weight difference in the shafts, including the grips & adapters so not a huge deal there either. Finally, on the swing weight scale within a half point of each other setup wise, hence my assumption that I'll ultimately chalk it up to me and/or a weird day. Going to try and get some dedicated practice time in this week if I can find time on a nice enough day.

All in all though, I'm excited to see how this one works out.

Wife helped me out holding them for a pic, so I'll edit it in. Like I said, they sit/rest very differently. When unshafted the epic sits more like the Mav standard, but like I said, you tilt them into the same strike orientation and this is what you get.

View attachment 8928298

Except the Mav is definitely more forgiving than the Epic so far, which is surely part of the newer tech/ai face/etc, and at least as fast as the Rogue. For me, and my totally bias swing, results, and opinion that is. lol And I dig it.

Interesting how very similar the head shapes are and I'm glad to hear the Mav is more forgiving. I'm still in the Epic SZ from 3 years ago because I just haven't found anything better. I'm anxious for the season to start hopefully by early April so I can test the Mavrik and Mavrik SZ.

I don't expect a jump in performance but hopefully, the Mavrik or MavSZ will prove me wrong.

He is a low spin player. I remember him saying during their Mavrik line testing, that the additional spin from the standard would have been a better head for him. The guy doesn't lack any speed and is pretty consistent with his strike pattern it would appear. I do wish they would publish more videos of them fitting more pedestrian swings. Show what these clubs do off center.

I agree. It's fun watching him blast it 340, but also pretty useless when the story is so much more about forgiveness across the face.

I agree. It's fun watching him blast it 340, but also pretty useless when the story is so much more about forgiveness across the face.
I just want to sniff 240 again.

Agree. I like what TXG does, I really do. But even they said it themselves in the video(which people will probably gloss over and just look at the results). They essentially tested one spot on the face on each driver and they performed similarly. Now I have my doubts that Maverick is going to be leaps and bounds better in terms of ball speed retention, but I would expect it to be slightly better. However, this video does not even allow that to be shown, get @mancest back in the studio and see how it does.

Agree. I like what TXG does, I really do. But even they said it themselves in the video(which people will probably gloss over and just look at the results). They essentially tested one spot on the face on each driver and they performed similarly. Now I have my doubts that Maverick is going to be leaps and bounds better in terms of ball speed retention, but I would expect it to be slightly better. However, this video does not even allow that to be shown, get @mancest back in the studio and see how it does.

I will be back there in under 3 months. I doubt anyone would want to get my swing on film, but I will definitely be trying mavrik an compare it to Flash.

I will be back there in under 3 months. I doubt anyone would want to get my swing on film, but I will definitely be trying mavrik an compare it to Flash.

hopefully there for more than 24 hours this time

hopefully there for more than 24 hours this time

I will be there for work, but barely 2 days including biz and the fitting. I am just hoping my clubs actually make it this time... Flying Air Canada instead of united so keeping the fingers crossed.

I may be mistaken, but perhaps #rangedays should factor this idea in mind. If I’m not mistaken bit Canadan and JMan have some
My miss is toe side and high on the face. The Std. Mavrik gives me good ball speed and I do not see the hook flight that I have seen with my previous drivers. I enjoy TXG videos and love Matt's swing. He can tell us the story of what a club is capable of but I will never be as fast as him or as good of a ball striker. I would like to see them do a review with the best shots and then have Matt purposely miss heel and toe side to get a better idea of what a club does for us mortals. The big story of the Mavrik is forgiveness and sound, If you hit the center of the face a lot then I doubt you will see a big improvement.

I’m a toe side, high face guy and the SZ appears to have produced results for me I didn’t expect.

Can’t say it enough, if you have some funk to your swing (most of us do), try and get fit and try all three heads. I think I could have gone with the SZ or the Max. I went SZ mostly because I loved the feel of it and surprisingly, I was more consistent with it. Callys drivers are pretty bad arse.
Anyone try hitting the SIM after hitting the Mavrik line for a while? Yikes...the SIM is no bueno in comparison.

Updated.

Last edited:
Back