Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

Does anyone plays an untipped Ventus in their Mavrik? I bought one and I’m not sure if it has been tipped. Can someone tell me the measurements from the E at the end of Velocore to the adapter?

I can measure for you later if someone doesn’t beat me to it. My Red is not tipped.

I can measure for you later if someone doesn’t beat me to it. My Red is not tipped.
@JMB3 I just found out from the Ventus thread, thanks. It seems to be right around 2 1/2”.

so-so day with the mav max. 6/12 fairways including one penalty, and a pop up. longest was 269, but i seem to be living around 245. that's all on me for not having my best stuff right now. I will say there were lots of drivers I missed - badly - that still were longer than my playing partners who both hit it well. i was constantly surprised by the distance. one that stands out was a nasty low heel cut that still went 240. very impressive.

i'm fighting my grip a little right now, and finding the slightly closed face of the max to be very distracting. i'm tempted to put the standard in the bag and see what happens.

I'm moving toward mavrik SZ at 9*, it has been launching at 13-14*, which is similar to my OG Epic SZ 10.5* which has been surprising. Maybe monitor/ honeymoon phase, but the mavrik has been straighter and 5 yards longer... it's hard to hold out, but the local shop is throwing out deals due to the current foot traffic.

Decent day with the driver, 10/14. Distance was consistent, and hitting a straight ball or just small fade.

Does anyone know the head weight of the sub zero?

I'm hoping some of you will help me wrap my head around what I am seeing with the Mavrik Max. I was fitted to the Mavrik standard 10.5 with the Riptide 6.0. I however got a great deal from badolds for a 9 degree Max. I put my "The Attas" shaft in it and was seeing a launch greater than the 10.5. So I turned it down to 8 degrees and am still seeing launch and peak height equal to the 10.5 Standard.

I guess my question is, shouldn't I have a had a lower launch with the 8 degree? I don't mind my results, it is just that I was looking to get more run-out once fairways start to dry out.

I'm hoping some of you will help me wrap my head around what I am seeing with the Mavrik Max. I was fitted to the Mavrik standard 10.5 with the Riptide 6.0. I however got a great deal from badolds for a 9 degree Max. I put my "The Attas" shaft in it and was seeing a launch greater than the 10.5. So I turned it down to 8 degrees and am still seeing launch and peak height equal to the 10.5 Standard.

I guess my question is, shouldn't I have a had a lower launch with the 8 degree? I don't mind my results, it is just that I was looking to get more run-out once fairways start to dry out.

Max is pretty high launching with that 14g weight in the back. Is The Attas a high launching shaft too?

I'm no expert on this stuff, but maybe could be due to the lower CG in the Max vs Standard?

Max is pretty high launching with that 14g weight in the back. Is The Attas a high launching shaft too?
It wasn't in the Epic SZ. I had The ATTAS in the Standard Mavrik and it didn't seam to launch it any higher.
The ATTAS11 is a high launching shaft which is what I was going to put in the Max. But now I don't know

That's not terribly surprising. I can see the Max being a higher launching head. As JMB mentioned, if you move the heavy weight into the heel, it would be closer to the face and could lower launch a tad.

Plus, with manufacturing tolerances as they are, it could have slightly more than the stated loft.

Just sitting here watching The Little Mermaid for the hundredth time with the kids and wishing I was able to go golfing.

20200321_201014.jpg

That's not terribly surprising. I can see the Max being a higher launching head. As JMB mentioned, if you move the heavy weight into the heel, it would be closer to the face and could lower launch a tad.

Plus, with manufacturing tolerances as they are, it could have slightly more than the stated loft.
I did try switching the weights but over drew the ball. My Spin was around 2455 on average for the Mavrik and don't have any numbers for the Max. Just what I'm seeing with my eyes. Peak height is above the tall pines we have here in Arkansas. Same as I was seeing with the Standard.

Okay, so I've hit the sub zero on course and in testing multiple times and moved weights around to try different things, but I've never done it back to back as quickly with two different drivers. My 10.5 with the heavy weight forward, and my 9 with the heavy weight in the back. I knew my 10.5, and the ones I had tested sounded a little different with the heavier weight forward, but hearing them back to back after my round today was shocking. I honestly don't even know if I would guess they're the same model on a hearing test. Waaay more crack with the weight forward.

Anyone else notice that dramatic of a difference, or are my ears just being hypersensitive due to excess stress? I haven't heard/seen it talked about to the degree I observed today.

Not sure if this question has been asked, but do they make heavier weights for the Mavrik Max? I know you have two interchangeable weights of 14g and 2g, but what if you even want more weight? Can you purchase any other weights for the driver? Can you purchase anything higher than 14g?

Not sure if this question has been asked, but do they make heavier weights for the Mavrik Max? I know you have two interchangeable weights of 14g and 2g, but what if you even want more weight? Can you purchase any other weights for the driver? Can you purchase anything higher than 14g?
Most of the kits I've seen are 2g-16/18g in 2g increments. They might make heavier, but you could combo to a dramatically heavier weight with those if you really wanted to. Should be all over eBay.

Last edited:
Anyone else notice that dramatic of a difference, or are my ears just being hypersensitive due to excess stress? I haven't heard/seen it talked about to the degree I observed today.
While in Cali they had the heavy weight in the back of my Max and it did sound more muted than it does now with the heavy weight forward. I prefer the heavy weight forward for my swing.

Just sitting here watching The Little Mermaid for the hundredth time with the kids and wishing I was able to go golfing.

View attachment 8933066
I know your pain, guys who are able to golf now don’t know how lucky they are. Not sure when your courses open up but ours won’t be open until close to the end of April. We have a pile of more snow in the forecast over the next 10 days or so. Do you grandaddy guys think that the proper fitting you had will hold you over for more than a season and curb any urges to buy new stuff just because? I really need to get a full bag fitting and hopefully that will stop me from buying new every year. I’ve mentioned before that the Mavrik driver has been my favourite Callaway driver since the 816 dbd and have my fingers crossed they offer a matte head again next year.

I know your pain, guys who are able to golf now don’t know how lucky they are. Not sure when your courses open up but ours won’t be open until close to the end of April. We have a pile of more snow in the forecast over the next 10 days or so. Do you grandaddy guys think that the proper fitting you had will hold you over for more than a season and curb any urges to buy new stuff just because? I really need to get a full bag fitting and hopefully that will stop me from buying new every year. I’ve mentioned before that the Mavrik driver has been my favourite Callaway driver since the 816 dbd and have my fingers crossed they offer a matte head again next year.

I’m a huge club hoe, but I’ve never been more happy with my bag. The Mavrik fairways, hybrids, and drivers will for sure last me more than a year.

I was and am quite happy with the fitting that I received. I bought a TT Ten putter to try and enjoy using, and have the Toulon Chicago putter also. As far as the main bag there is nothing from driver to irons that needs or will be replaced for me. I am quite happy with all of my gear and it will be in the bag all of this season for sure and probably beyond. I am playing great golf and that is because of the great fitting from the guys at Callaway golf and the opportunity provided by THP.

Okay, so I've hit the sub zero on course and in testing multiple times and moved weights around to try different things, but I've never done it back to back as quickly with two different drivers. My 10.5 with the heavy weight forward, and my 9 with the heavy weight in the back. I knew my 10.5, and the ones I had tested sounded a little different with the heavier weight forward, but hearing them back to back after my round today was shocking. I honestly don't even know if I would guess they're the same model on a hearing test. Waaay more crack with the weight forward.

I've done a number of outdoor sessions comparing and configuring Mavrik drivers and frequently change the weights around set to set. The sound, feel, and performance differences are very noticeable to me also whenever I move CoG forward on the 9.0 or 10.5 Mav SZ heads. But really, that's been the case with any of the past Callaway drivers or fairways with weight forward options that I've owned and/or tested going back several years. It's not just Callaway, those differences have always stood out to me with any OEM's metal woods that have provided the option to move a decent amount of weight back to front. In my hands that Mavrik SZ is an absolute hammer when weighted forward but also not quite as consistent as it is weighted back. Same as everyones, same as always.

Daaaaaamnn.... anyone watch the recent SIM vs Mavrik video posted by some well followed Canadian/Scotish guys? Mavrik is like 😳

Daaaaaamnn.... anyone watch the recent SIM vs Mavrik video posted by some well followed Canadian/Scotish guys? Mavrik is like 😳

it’s one test. i put no more or less credence in that test than i do any of the other tests posted throughout this thread.

the standard was very low launch for me

I wish I didn't hit this last week. All I have been thinking about has been this driver and how much more I want to hit it and try out the three shafts I have tipped for it.

Back