Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

Listened to the fitting room podcast with Dnevs and one of the things i had forgotten about was that AI was used in the acoustics of the driver to come up with the perfect sound.

And once you guys hit this thing, you’ll fall in love with the sound. It’s incredible.
They really did knock it out of the park with the sound. I always liked the sound of my Flash but going from the Mavrik to my Flash in that hitting really took me by surprise how much difference there was.

View attachment 8922463

The Mavrik Driver

During my fitting at ECPC, my fitter, Nick, really honed in on the standard Mavrik after seeing me miss right with my irons more than I would like to admit :) What he told me was that the standard Mavrik has a slight draw bias to it. I was open minded and ready to try anything he wanted to put in my hands.

Draw bias the guy says. Huh? I look down at the club and the first thing I notice is that the face angle is far from closed as I would expect most draw biased drivers to be. If anything, it almost appears that it sits a bit more open than my Epic Flash SZ from last year. Anyhow, we pretty much stuck with the standard model as we tried a few shafts. The numbers with it were great. If anything, it was probably spinning a couple hundred RPM’s more than what I am used to seeing. But, the flight was good.

So, that’s how I came upon the driver. Now, I will try to break this down into what I see as the intangibles. Then, I will share what I have seen so far in terms of performance.

Looks:

I have always gravitated towards the smaller footprint drivers. I don’t like to see a lot of junk in the trunk. I played the Epic SZ, the Rogue SZ, and the Epic Flash SZ most recently. I could have played the standard OG Epic, but I felt the standard Rogue and Epic Flash drivers were too elongated for me. Just not a shape I wanted to see. So, I was a little apprehensive when the fitter recommended the standard Mavrik. But, I am glad he did. The shape isn’t quite as rounded and compact as the past SZ models that I have played. But, it is not elongated either. If I had to pick a comparison in terms of shape, I cannot think of a Callaway driver in recent memory that it reminds me of. From the side, you can see the noticeable aerodynamic design as the sole sweeps up to meet the crown. We’ll touch more on that later. Anyhow, it passed the looks test with flying colors.

View attachment 8922464
View attachment 8922465
View attachment 8922466

Sound/Feel:

Alright, here is the hot topic. The Epic Flash was not universally loved for its sound. I am not going to argue that. It wasn’t the most pleasant to me but I enjoyed the performance enough to overlook it. Here, we are entering what I would call probably the most subjective portion of a driver, or any club for that matter, review. What sounds and feels good to me does not necessarily mean that you are going to enjoy it. I got along fine with the Epic Flash, a lot of people didn’t. I could not stand the sound of the Ping G lineup, but it’s been a big seller for them and a lot of golfers love it.

I really enjoy the low tone, dull sound of a carbon driver. Ever since the FT Tour came out, I was hooked on it. Almost every Callaway driver that I hit from that point fell in that category. The Epic Flash did not. But, Callaway made a pivot here. They used their fancy super computer and created what they are calling Acoustic AI. There are fins designed within the head that aid in creating a more muted sound than the Epic Flash. It isn’t quite OG Epic dull. But, it is extremely pleasing.

When you connect with this driver, it feels like the ball sticks to the face for an extra milliseconds longer than normal and just absolutely launches. It is so hard to describe. I love it. And, if you give this club a fair chance, I would find it hard to believe that anyone could walk away and say that this club doesn’t feel great. Regardless if you are buying it or not.

Tech:

We are looking at some interesting technology at play here. First, they built off of the success of the Flash face and have designed a face for each model that is even further optimized, delivering great ball speed over a larger area of the club face. The cool thing here is that they optimized each model independently of one another. So, the standard, SZ, and Max models each have a different face. They have utilized a stronger titanium in the process as well. SS20, the Super Strength face for 2020.

Second, to improve the acoustics, they have implemented Acoustic AI. The engineers leveraged the super computer to come up with what appear to be seemingly random fins inside the head that give this driver it’s addicting sound.

View attachment 8922467

Third, at least in the standard model, they have implemented a pretty sleek aerodynamic sole shape. An aerodynamic design that makes the standard model the fastest out of the lineup. OEM’s have used aerodynamics in the past with some success. I recall the Cobra F9 being an interesting feel as you swing the club. That is the same feeling I get when swinging the Mavrik. You can feel that there is less drag as the club cuts through the air. How much more swing speed that equates to for myself, I am unsure of at this point.

View attachment 8922468

Otherwise, the Mavrik drivers all utilize the same Optiforce hosel that Callaway has used for the last so many years. So, if you have an old trusty driver shaft, you don’t have to worry. You can plug it into these heads with a few turns of the wrench.

Performance:

I suppose, it wouldn’t be much of a review if I didn’t share what I have been seeing in performance. Take this for what it’s worth so far as I have had an extremely limited time with this club in actual play. Minnesota winters are not conducive to early club testing.

From the first shot with this driver, I noticed that it is going to be a higher launching head than my old Epic Flash SZ. As long as the spin remains manageable, that’s fine by me. I wouldn’t call this driver low spin, but I really would never say that it’s a higher spinning club either. It seems to live in the realm of 2500-2700. Where I was probably 2300-2500 in my past SZ drivers.

My Epic Flash SZ was no slouch off the tee. So, I am not surprised to see that I am getting similar ball speeds as I did in the past. The only caveat is that I seem to be having less cringe worth drives. Lol. I don’t have the data yet to prove it. But, I have a feeling that this driver is much more forgiving than the SZ I was playing before. There have been a few shots off the toe that I look up and see that I have hardly lost any ball speed at all. That is what has me excited about this release.

I have been hitting the driver in an indoor only scenario since returning from the Grandaddy. I have made a couple attempts at retrieving LM data. But, it has not gone according to plan. It is still in the cards in the future and I will share comparison data on both the Mavrik and the Epic Flash SZ I am coming from.

These are the numbers I grabbed when my swing was most definitely showing it's winter rust.

View attachment 8922472

I am not too upset about the results. The smash was relatively high given the poor contact. If anything, it's a good example of what the driver can do for you when you're off :)

My Random Thoughts:

I understand that some people are going to try and make an apples to oranges comparison between the Mavrik and Epic Flash line. Just want to throw out the reminder that this line is not replacing the Epic Flash, rather complimenting it. I am providing my feedback between the two lineups as it is my most recent driver before this.

I honestly prefer the lack of a sliding weight. I have never felt that the sliding weights are a high enough percentage of the overall head weight to make a meaningful impact on ball flight. At least in my experience, I have not noticed it impact my game much at all. So, I am happy to save the weight of the sliding track and have it redistributed elsewhere to make a more forgiving club.

Seriously guys. This club sounds and feels fantastic. Plus, coming in right at $500 makes it a pretty attractive option vs other clubs on the market. But, get out there and try it for yourself. If you are content with what you have or find another club is a better fit, so be it. But, you owe it to yourself to at least give this club a look if you’re in the market.

Please, feel free to ask any questions. I will be here sharing what I know and trying to help complete the story on this line.

Here are some comparison pics I grabbed of my Epic Flash SZ and the new Mavrik.

View attachment 8922469
View attachment 8922470
View attachment 8922471

Bump for the Day 2 crowd. A lot of great information packed into this one

My experience over the past few years is that I was playing the XR16, loved it, and couldn’t find a real reason to spend $400+ for a newer driver. I’m sure that the advances in technology each year would in some way help my game, and I’ve no reason to doubt that. But, that being said, buying a new driver can be a considerable expense, so I never worried about it.

Shortly before we left for California I went to PGATSS and spent a little time on their monitors to get some updated numbers for the fitters. My swing wasn’t fantastic, so when I first posted a 25 yard increase at ECPC, I figured that some HAD to be attributed to my inconsistencies. When I got home I went back to the same PGATSS to check it out again. I’ll get to that shortly.

A portion of my fitting was spent just helping me groove my swing with some very minor adjustments to my body placement. With my high handicap, Nick went straight for the Max head at 9* (my XR16 was at 9*) and we got started. He swapped me into the 10.5* head for some higher launch profiles, which worked very nicely. Started with the Riptide, tried out the Helium, then back to the Riptide 50g 5.5.

Nearly all par 4s and 5s, I’m pulling driver, so I’m getting quite a few reps with this club, and so far, have really, really liked it. The Max / Riptide combo has been very stable, and I’ve noticed fewer crazy fades that find their way into the next fairway. :D

When I returned to PGATSS after the event, here are my averages over 10 shots on the monitor:
XR16: carry 178 / total 192 / backspin 1223 / club speed 88 / ball speed 117
MAX: carry 195 / total 209 / backspin 3083 / club speed 94 / ball speed 126

As you can see, there was a nice increase that has been helpful in several areas.

View attachment 8922476

View attachment 8922477

View attachment 8922478

Like @radiman, I was fit into the standard model of the Mavrik driver. And of all the clubs I received from The Grandaddy, my new Mavrik driver is my favorite—hands down. To me, this driver combines a perfect shape and sound into Callaway’s fastest, yet forgiving, driver head.

Fast and Forgiving

As with the entire Mavrik line of clubs, the drivers incorporate a Flash Face SS20 (the “SS” stands for “Super Strength)—here, made of a stronger, more flexible titanium—that is optimized for each of the three different heads (Sub Zero, Standard, and Max). The face itself is also lighter than the original Flash Face, weighing in at just 6g.

Through the use of AI, Callaway has developed forgiveness in each face through spin retention, allowing them to rely less on body shape. This “unconventional forgiveness” allowed Callaway to develop a faster, more aerodynamic shape for the Mavrik that reduces drag from the Rogue and Epic Flash models. As you can see below, the shape of the standard Mavrik and Epic Flash models is drastically different:

View attachment 8922495

Not only is the Mavrik crown shorter from front to back, but it is much less rounded off, with very little of the sole lying flat—instead, the sole quickly curves upwards to meet the crown.

So does the new Flash Face SS20 and shape make Mavrik faster? According to Callaway, yes. In fact, Callaway estimates that the Mavrik driver is five yards longer than the Epic Flash.

Since receiving my Mavrik driver, I’ve tested these claims, and based on my results, the standard Mavrik may be even a bit longer than that for me. As a high cap, I’m certainly not a robot, and I can see some pretty big changes in Smash Factor from swing to swing. But leading into The Grandaddy, I spent 2-3 days a week on the TrackMan, hitting my Epic Flash driver each time. With swing speeds in the mid-90s (93-97), my best strikes produced ball speeds in the low-140s, though I often lived around 138/139.

Five weeks after The Grandaddy, I hit the standard Mavrik for the first time on that same TrackMan. On four out of roughly a dozen swings, I topped 144 MPH ball speed, including the one shot I photographed below.

View attachment 8922496

While some of my teammates can replicate that ball speed with their Mavrik hybrids, that’s really high speed for me. And as I focus on adding speed this offseason, I’m very excited about the prospects that this driver can “shorten” the course for me.

The Mavrik is faster than the Epic Flash, but is it as forgiving? Absolutely. As others have discussed, Callaway has also released a “Mavrik Max” driver, which is the highest MOI model from this line. When I heard about this model during the presentation, I assumed I’d be fit into it—I am, in fact, a high handicapper. But because of the Max’s extra draw bias—the standard has a slight draw bias but no added heel weight (see below)—my fitter thought I’d be better in the standard model with my typical right-to-left ball flight.

Even without “MAX MOI,” though, the standard model is incredibly forgiving. While I confirmed that the Mavrik driver will not save you from topped shots or massive blocks, I’ve also experienced that all kinds of swings can help you find the fairway.

Since the Grandaddy, I’ve only been able to hit my driver indoors, but I have gotten in some simulator rounds. This past weekend I played with one of my golfing buddies who knows as well as anybody that I can be very inconsistent off the tee. But after 7 or 8 holes into our round, he said, “I’ve never seen you hit a driver so straight.”

And he’s right. Before the Mavrik, I played the Epic Flash and the G400 Max, both of which are pretty darn forgiving. I know it’s early, but I truly believe the standard Mavrik incorporates similar forgiveness in a faster head. I’ll continue to test and report on these beliefs throughout the year. And if I ever run into any issues, I could always look to replace the 5g weight in the back of the club with something a little heavier.

View attachment 8922497

Shape

When Nick fit me into the standard model, I darn near hugged him. I have long been envious of my high-speed friends who gamed Callaway’s Sub Zero models that simply did not fit my low-spin game. I always loved the more compact look at address. And while I likely would have been very happy with the Max, its shape is more Rogue-like. The standard model gives me exactly what I’ve always wanted:

View attachment 8922498

To me, the shape of the Mavrik standard could not be any better. Thank you, Callaway, for building such a beautiful driver for a high capper!

Sound

While I love the shape of the standard Mavrik, the sound/feel of the driver may be my favorite part. It’s intoxicating.

I know sound/feel is purely subjective. For reference, I did not love the muted sound of the OG Epic or the Rogue. On the off chance I crushed my tee shot, I wanted at least my foursome to hear it. On the other end of the spectrum is the Epic Flash. While it’s louder than I’d like, I probably liked it better than the OG Epic sound. I didn’t mind the G400 Max sound either.

Callaway heard the feedback on the Epic Flash, and it developed a sound that is so good and somewhere in the middle of the two Epic drivers. And they developed this sound using “Acoustic AI”—specifically optimized for frequency and amplitude! How cool is that?

Get Fit

As a long-time self-fitter, I almost feel guilty recommending that everyone interested in a Mavrik driver get fit for it. But with the three model options currently released, I believe there is a driver in the Mavrik lineup that can fit just about anyone—you just may be surprised which model that is. As I mentioned, I would not have expected to be fit into the standard model. But that head, along with the stock Even Flow Riptide (55g in 5.5) shaft, is a perfect fit.

I am truly excited about this driver—so much so, I may even play around in the Customs shop…. I’ll be updating my performance with the standard model all year long, and if you have any questions for me, please do not hesitate to ask.

Day 2 bump for all those that might have missed it or just want to read again for feedback from The Grandaddy participants. A lot of great information in these posts.

Like @radiman, I was fit into the standard model of the Mavrik driver. And of all the clubs I received from The Grandaddy, my new Mavrik driver is my favorite—hands down. To me, this driver combines a perfect shape and sound into Callaway’s fastest, yet forgiving, driver head.

Fast and Forgiving

As with the entire Mavrik line of clubs, the drivers incorporate a Flash Face SS20 (the “SS” stands for “Super Strength)—here, made of a stronger, more flexible titanium—that is optimized for each of the three different heads (Sub Zero, Standard, and Max). The face itself is also lighter than the original Flash Face, weighing in at just 6g.

Through the use of AI, Callaway has developed forgiveness in each face through spin retention, allowing them to rely less on body shape. This “unconventional forgiveness” allowed Callaway to develop a faster, more aerodynamic shape for the Mavrik that reduces drag from the Rogue and Epic Flash models. As you can see below, the shape of the standard Mavrik and Epic Flash models is drastically different:

View attachment 8922495

Not only is the Mavrik crown shorter from front to back, but it is much less rounded off, with very little of the sole lying flat—instead, the sole quickly curves upwards to meet the crown.

So does the new Flash Face SS20 and shape make Mavrik faster? According to Callaway, yes. In fact, Callaway estimates that the Mavrik driver is five yards longer than the Epic Flash.

Since receiving my Mavrik driver, I’ve tested these claims, and based on my results, the standard Mavrik may be even a bit longer than that for me. As a high cap, I’m certainly not a robot, and I can see some pretty big changes in Smash Factor from swing to swing. But leading into The Grandaddy, I spent 2-3 days a week on the TrackMan, hitting my Epic Flash driver each time. With swing speeds in the mid-90s (93-97), my best strikes produced ball speeds in the low-140s, though I often lived around 138/139.

Five weeks after The Grandaddy, I hit the standard Mavrik for the first time on that same TrackMan. On four out of roughly a dozen swings, I topped 144 MPH ball speed, including the one shot I photographed below.

View attachment 8922496

While some of my teammates can replicate that ball speed with their Mavrik hybrids, that’s really high speed for me. And as I focus on adding speed this offseason, I’m very excited about the prospects that this driver can “shorten” the course for me.

The Mavrik is faster than the Epic Flash, but is it as forgiving? Absolutely. As others have discussed, Callaway has also released a “Mavrik Max” driver, which is the highest MOI model from this line. When I heard about this model during the presentation, I assumed I’d be fit into it—I am, in fact, a high handicapper. But because of the Max’s extra draw bias—the standard has a slight draw bias but no added heel weight (see below)—my fitter thought I’d be better in the standard model with my typical right-to-left ball flight.

Even without “MAX MOI,” though, the standard model is incredibly forgiving. While I confirmed that the Mavrik driver will not save you from topped shots or massive blocks, I’ve also experienced that all kinds of swings can help you find the fairway.

Since the Grandaddy, I’ve only been able to hit my driver indoors, but I have gotten in some simulator rounds. This past weekend I played with one of my golfing buddies who knows as well as anybody that I can be very inconsistent off the tee. But after 7 or 8 holes into our round, he said, “I’ve never seen you hit a driver so straight.”

And he’s right. Before the Mavrik, I played the Epic Flash and the G400 Max, both of which are pretty darn forgiving. I know it’s early, but I truly believe the standard Mavrik incorporates similar forgiveness in a faster head. I’ll continue to test and report on these beliefs throughout the year. And if I ever run into any issues, I could always look to replace the 5g weight in the back of the club with something a little heavier.

View attachment 8922497

Shape

When Nick fit me into the standard model, I darn near hugged him. I have long been envious of my high-speed friends who gamed Callaway’s Sub Zero models that simply did not fit my low-spin game. I always loved the more compact look at address. And while I likely would have been very happy with the Max, its shape is more Rogue-like. The standard model gives me exactly what I’ve always wanted:

View attachment 8922498

To me, the shape of the Mavrik standard could not be any better. Thank you, Callaway, for building such a beautiful driver for a high capper!

Sound

While I love the shape of the standard Mavrik, the sound/feel of the driver may be my favorite part. It’s intoxicating.

I know sound/feel is purely subjective. For reference, I did not love the muted sound of the OG Epic or the Rogue. On the off chance I crushed my tee shot, I wanted at least my foursome to hear it. On the other end of the spectrum is the Epic Flash. While it’s louder than I’d like, I probably liked it better than the OG Epic sound. I didn’t mind the G400 Max sound either.

Callaway heard the feedback on the Epic Flash, and it developed a sound that is so good and somewhere in the middle of the two Epic drivers. And they developed this sound using “Acoustic AI”—specifically optimized for frequency and amplitude! How cool is that?

Get Fit

As a long-time self-fitter, I almost feel guilty recommending that everyone interested in a Mavrik driver get fit for it. But with the three model options currently released, I believe there is a driver in the Mavrik lineup that can fit just about anyone—you just may be surprised which model that is. As I mentioned, I would not have expected to be fit into the standard model. But that head, along with the stock Even Flow Riptide (55g in 5.5) shaft, is a perfect fit.

I am truly excited about this driver—so much so, I may even play around in the Customs shop…. I’ll be updating my performance with the standard model all year long, and if you have any questions for me, please do not hesitate to ask.
Nice photography work showing the difference between the EF and Marvrik

MikeG,

Solid review buddy. Having seen your game, i would have expected regular Mavrik , but glad to hear the Max is working well for you!

He took a cold swing with my Standard—with too light and soft of a shaft for him—and CRUSHED a drive. To me, that’s says a lot about the Max head then!

James and all the GD guys are making it hard for me to stick to my rule of no new clubs this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They really did knock it out of the park with the sound. I always liked the sound of my Flash but going from the Mavrik to my Flash in that hitting really took me by surprise how much difference there was.
I don’t think I ever hated the EF sound as much as some consumers but I just always felt like there were other OEMs that sounded and felt better. Trying not to be bias here but I really believe the Mavrik is now the best sounding driver available.

He took a cold swing with my Standard—with too light and soft of a shaft for him—and CRUSHED a drive. To me, that’s says a lot about the Max head then!

That swing did feel good. No glove, stone cold and it just went. Ironically that swing was the one that told me the Max was the one for me.

imho the standard is the visual show stopper because of its unique shape and speed claims.

but i hope the max story doesn’t get buried. the max is faster, longer, more forgiving, and a bajillion times better sounding than competitors with the same moniker. it’s no small thing that many of us coming into the grandaddy had a popular max model in the bag going into the event, and now are thrilled with the Mavrik Max we were fit for.
Having been a G400 Max player, I really think the Mavrik Max will push alot of those aside. Better ball speed retention on mishits, better forgiveness on the toe, and the sound is more pleasing IMO.
The stock shaft looks much better than a lot of others too.

View attachment 8922463

The Mavrik Driver

During my fitting at ECPC, my fitter, Nick, really honed in on the standard Mavrik after seeing me miss right with my irons more than I would like to admit :) What he told me was that the standard Mavrik has a slight draw bias to it. I was open minded and ready to try anything he wanted to put in my hands.

Draw bias the guy says. Huh? I look down at the club and the first thing I notice is that the face angle is far from closed as I would expect most draw biased drivers to be. If anything, it almost appears that it sits a bit more open than my Epic Flash SZ from last year. Anyhow, we pretty much stuck with the standard model as we tried a few shafts. The numbers with it were great. If anything, it was probably spinning a couple hundred RPM’s more than what I am used to seeing. But, the flight was good.

So, that’s how I came upon the driver. Now, I will try to break this down into what I see as the intangibles. Then, I will share what I have seen so far in terms of performance.

Looks:

I have always gravitated towards the smaller footprint drivers. I don’t like to see a lot of junk in the trunk. I played the Epic SZ, the Rogue SZ, and the Epic Flash SZ most recently. I could have played the standard OG Epic, but I felt the standard Rogue and Epic Flash drivers were too elongated for me. Just not a shape I wanted to see. So, I was a little apprehensive when the fitter recommended the standard Mavrik. But, I am glad he did. The shape isn’t quite as rounded and compact as the past SZ models that I have played. But, it is not elongated either. If I had to pick a comparison in terms of shape, I cannot think of a Callaway driver in recent memory that it reminds me of. From the side, you can see the noticeable aerodynamic design as the sole sweeps up to meet the crown. We’ll touch more on that later. Anyhow, it passed the looks test with flying colors.

View attachment 8922464
View attachment 8922465
View attachment 8922466

Sound/Feel:

Alright, here is the hot topic. The Epic Flash was not universally loved for its sound. I am not going to argue that. It wasn’t the most pleasant to me but I enjoyed the performance enough to overlook it. Here, we are entering what I would call probably the most subjective portion of a driver, or any club for that matter, review. What sounds and feels good to me does not necessarily mean that you are going to enjoy it. I got along fine with the Epic Flash, a lot of people didn’t. I could not stand the sound of the Ping G lineup, but it’s been a big seller for them and a lot of golfers love it.

I really enjoy the low tone, dull sound of a carbon driver. Ever since the FT Tour came out, I was hooked on it. Almost every Callaway driver that I hit from that point fell in that category. The Epic Flash did not. But, Callaway made a pivot here. They used their fancy super computer and created what they are calling Acoustic AI. There are fins designed within the head that aid in creating a more muted sound than the Epic Flash. It isn’t quite OG Epic dull. But, it is extremely pleasing.

When you connect with this driver, it feels like the ball sticks to the face for an extra milliseconds longer than normal and just absolutely launches. It is so hard to describe. I love it. And, if you give this club a fair chance, I would find it hard to believe that anyone could walk away and say that this club doesn’t feel great. Regardless if you are buying it or not.

Tech:

We are looking at some interesting technology at play here. First, they built off of the success of the Flash face and have designed a face for each model that is even further optimized, delivering great ball speed over a larger area of the club face. The cool thing here is that they optimized each model independently of one another. So, the standard, SZ, and Max models each have a different face. They have utilized a stronger titanium in the process as well. SS20, the Super Strength face for 2020.

Second, to improve the acoustics, they have implemented Acoustic AI. The engineers leveraged the super computer to come up with what appear to be seemingly random fins inside the head that give this driver it’s addicting sound.

View attachment 8922467

Third, at least in the standard model, they have implemented a pretty sleek aerodynamic sole shape. An aerodynamic design that makes the standard model the fastest out of the lineup. OEM’s have used aerodynamics in the past with some success. I recall the Cobra F9 being an interesting feel as you swing the club. That is the same feeling I get when swinging the Mavrik. You can feel that there is less drag as the club cuts through the air. How much more swing speed that equates to for myself, I am unsure of at this point.

View attachment 8922468

Otherwise, the Mavrik drivers all utilize the same Optiforce hosel that Callaway has used for the last so many years. So, if you have an old trusty driver shaft, you don’t have to worry. You can plug it into these heads with a few turns of the wrench.

Performance:

I suppose, it wouldn’t be much of a review if I didn’t share what I have been seeing in performance. Take this for what it’s worth so far as I have had an extremely limited time with this club in actual play. Minnesota winters are not conducive to early club testing.

From the first shot with this driver, I noticed that it is going to be a higher launching head than my old Epic Flash SZ. As long as the spin remains manageable, that’s fine by me. I wouldn’t call this driver low spin, but I really would never say that it’s a higher spinning club either. It seems to live in the realm of 2500-2700. Where I was probably 2300-2500 in my past SZ drivers.

My Epic Flash SZ was no slouch off the tee. So, I am not surprised to see that I am getting similar ball speeds as I did in the past. The only caveat is that I seem to be having less cringe worth drives. Lol. I don’t have the data yet to prove it. But, I have a feeling that this driver is much more forgiving than the SZ I was playing before. There have been a few shots off the toe that I look up and see that I have hardly lost any ball speed at all. That is what has me excited about this release.

I have been hitting the driver in an indoor only scenario since returning from the Grandaddy. I have made a couple attempts at retrieving LM data. But, it has not gone according to plan. It is still in the cards in the future and I will share comparison data on both the Mavrik and the Epic Flash SZ I am coming from.

These are the numbers I grabbed when my swing was most definitely showing it's winter rust.

View attachment 8922472

I am not too upset about the results. The smash was relatively high given the poor contact. If anything, it's a good example of what the driver can do for you when you're off :)

My Random Thoughts:

I understand that some people are going to try and make an apples to oranges comparison between the Mavrik and Epic Flash line. Just want to throw out the reminder that this line is not replacing the Epic Flash, rather complimenting it. I am providing my feedback between the two lineups as it is my most recent driver before this.

I honestly prefer the lack of a sliding weight. I have never felt that the sliding weights are a high enough percentage of the overall head weight to make a meaningful impact on ball flight. At least in my experience, I have not noticed it impact my game much at all. So, I am happy to save the weight of the sliding track and have it redistributed elsewhere to make a more forgiving club.

Seriously guys. This club sounds and feels fantastic. Plus, coming in right at $500 makes it a pretty attractive option vs other clubs on the market. But, get out there and try it for yourself. If you are content with what you have or find another club is a better fit, so be it. But, you owe it to yourself to at least give this club a look if you’re in the market.

Please, feel free to ask any questions. I will be here sharing what I know and trying to help complete the story on this line.

Here are some comparison pics I grabbed of my Epic Flash SZ and the new Mavrik.

View attachment 8922469
View attachment 8922470
View attachment 8922471
Great write up!

Just thought I’d drop this - spoke with my callaway sales rep this am.
On the site, the specs on the mavrik driver say 45.75” but callaway changed the way they measure, so it will be your typical playing length of 45.5”.

hope that clarifies any confusion

Just thought I’d drop this - spoke with my callaway sales rep this am.
On the site, the specs on the mavrik driver say 45.75” but callaway changed the way they measure, so it will be your typical playing length of 45.5”.

hope that clarifies any confusion

That would have been something good for them to note on the site or something, definitely slightly misleading (unintentionally, of course)

20200115_093417.jpg

Decided I couldn't wait until I got home. Time to know for sure.

Can one of you explain the single diamond and triple diamond please.

Great reviews by everyone. Thank you. I am looking at the standard and the Max. My typical drive (on a good swing) is a draw. A hook is my miss. I understand from the podcast that the heavy weight in the heel promotes up fo 20 yards of correction. Not looking for that. With the heavy weight in the back which i understand makes the driver more forgiving what did those who hit both find the differences between the standard and the max to be and with the weight in the back would the draw bias if any on both clubs be similar. Thanks.

Usually tour only Sub Zero models for Callaway Staff. Single Diamond is usually 460cc and has draw bias (closest to retail SZ). Triple Diamond will be 440-450 CC and higher spin with fade bias.

Those are tour only models. They were not discussed during the event as they are not available at retail. I know they had a pivot last year and offered the triple diamond Epic Flash. I did ask about it, and they acknowledged that there was some demand so it was offered. They implemented some of those design elements into the new SZ driver.

Personally, I doubt we would see any of those models available at retail. But, I don't know for sure. As to the differences, I have no idea. It could be a different Flash Face in each model for certain shot tendencies. It could be CG placement. It could simply be head shape. It could be all of the above.

Great reviews by everyone. Thank you. I am looking at the standard and the Max. My typical drive (on a good swing) is a draw. A hook is my miss. I understand from the podcast that the heavy weight in the heel promotes up fo 20 yards of correction. Not looking for that. With the heavy weight in the back which i understand makes the driver more forgiving what did those who hit both find the differences between the standard and the max to be and with the weight in the back would the draw bias if any on both clubs be similar. Thanks.

I play a draw with a hook miss as well. Because of that, my fitter suggested the Standard, and because I was hitting that so well, we never even touched the Max. But it sounds like some are seeing less draw bias out of the Max than one would expect.

Yes the Max is a bit draw bias. Having the heavy weight in the heel has taken the right side of the course out of play for me (that is my miss) Will shots still go right, yes they will as it won't correct a bad swing put on the ball. Is it easier to hit a bit of a draw, yes. I play small draw i my ball flight, but I have not had any issues with it over drawing and putting me in trouble on the left side of the fairway.

My driver set up is: Max head, 10.5 playing at -1/N So even with the face open slightly at address I am not having any issues.

Usually tour only Sub Zero models for Callaway Staff. Single Diamond is usually 460cc and has draw bias (closest to retail SZ). Triple Diamond will be 440-450 CC and higher spin with fade bias.
Those are tour only models. They were not discussed during the event as they are not available at retail. I know they had a pivot last year and offered the triple diamond Epic Flash. I did ask about it, and they acknowledged that there was some demand so it was offered. They implemented some of those design elements into the new SZ driver.

Personally, I doubt we would see any of those models available at retail. But, I don't know for sure. As to the differences, I have no idea. It could be a different Flash Face in each model for certain shot tendencies. It could be CG placement. It could simply be head shape. It could be all of the above.

Thanks guys!

Back