Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

Any chance your 410 goes along with you?
410 LST is always with me :p

That throwdown will happen after I finish my review article though. To the chagrin of some, I don’t believe that reviews are a place for constant comparisons, rather the focus is on that club and if it does what it says it does.(y)

Hey guys, sorry I missed it, but what length are you playing your drivers? Are you playing the stock 45.75” length?
If playing shorter, does Callaway take swing weight requests?
thanks!!!

Hey guys, sorry I missed it, but what length are you playing your drivers? Are you playing the stock 45.75” length?
If playing shorter, does Callaway take swing weight requests?
thanks!!!
My review club (standard Mavrik) is 45.75. My trade in club (max) is 44.75 and they added 6g to the normal weight setup to bring it back to D3, this was done without request this time because I wanted to see if the custom department had improved.

My review club (standard Mavrik) is 45.75. My trade in club (max) is 44.75 and they added 6g to the normal weight setup to bring it back to D3, this was done without request this time because I wanted to see if the custom department had improved.

That’s good to know. Did they split it evenly so 14+3 or 17g rear and 2+3g and a 5g in the heel ?

That’s good to know. Did they split it evenly so 14+3 or 17g rear and 2+3g and a 5g in the heel ?
14 back, 8 heel. Which I’m more than ok with.

I also believe all their weights are done in 2g increments.

Those who went custom, quick question: it looks to me like the carbon on the crown has an orange tint to it. Am I wrong? Is it because the accent line makes it look that way? If I go white, will the carbon still be orange?
Asking for a friend...?

The crown doesn't have an orange tint. Just a byproduct of lighting.

I had a big pro shop credit carry over from last season and decided to look at replacing my Rogue sub zero which I was petty happy with. I have played TM,Ping,Mizuno as well in the past

So I went to club champion to get fitted for driver. 90 minute session I hit everything Cobra,Ping,TM, & Mavrik.

I also go to try 10 different shafts. I tried to just let the number drive the decision and if I had a preference based on looks going in it would have been the Cobra speedzone.

After hitting them all it was obvious the Mavrik SZ was the right head and came down to the rogue shaft and the Ventus Blue stiff.

The feel and sound is incredible club and ball speed where about 4 mph faster than my gammer.

Dispersion was very tight can't wait to get my hands on it.

Would highly recommend club champion for fittings . They have all the tools and experience. I don't know where else you can hit so many shafts to make sure you are going to be happy in the long run.

One other thing that surprised me was the looks of the mavrik . Which I didn't care for in ads and pictures I had seen. I person the color scheme works really well I don't think it orange as much as it is bronze/copper color looks sharp.

My club pro is ordering and having shipped to CC and they will assemble the club and pure the shaft . $169 for the fitting and pureing of the shaft seemed a pretty good deal (Winter special)

Also going with the Mid-size Plus 4 MCC Align grip - loved the feel of that.

Those who went custom, quick question: it looks to me like the carbon on the crown has an orange tint to it. Am I wrong? Is it because the accent line makes it look that way? If I go white, will the carbon still be orange?
Asking for a friend...?
There’s no orange in it, at all.

It is hard to believe how much difference the proper shaft makes, put the GD AD BB7x in this morning at D/+1 (so playing at 10*) since it was cool this morning and being a very wet, very tight course it made sense to my adled brain to have a bit more loft.

Just an entirely different club than I hit yesterday, absolute fairway finder playing a soft fade. I missed 2 fairways all morning and those were pulls that I aimed down the left side and just snatched it. Not real sure about distance if it was any longer than I would have been with the Flash SZ but it was very consistent at about 235 which is a very good drive for me.

With the flash I could hit it 200 or 250 depending on the wind and swing, the Mavrik SZ just seemed to go the same into or down wind and it was pretty windy at times. I did play a TP5 which is usually a bit shorter for me than the Bridgestone Tour B X but again it was in the high 40's so I thought a softer ball would be better.

So much better today and the sound being muted it was surprising to hit it and look up to see it blasting out there. With the flash there was no doubt if you hit it good. I think when I loft back down and jump on it there is some left to had distance wise, but on a short course with crapple or water down both sides fairways are where its at.

Even though to my eye it does not appear to be open, it definitely had a fade bias today. Which is great if I can count on it, my miss with the flash was left of left (see pulls) and with the Mavrik so far I have to really F up to see that happpen.

Its a keeper!!!

Seeing @Jman and @erock9174 's conversation wanted me to mention to anyone thinking of playing around with lengths and weights at home to get the setup and SW they're looking for not to forget about the older weights. I needed a 5 (instead of 2) for the front one in my sub zero and the only odd number ones I had that would work all seemed to be from the GBB epic generation. Did the trick for now and the black ring on them doesn't look half bad on the Mavrik head.

Maiden voyage for my mav SZ tomorrow in Massachusetts! Tee time at 10! Coming from a flash SZ which I traded in, so no going back now.

if anyone consumes youtube reviews, one video mentioned he was annoyed as a fitter that the mav weights don’t have the number on the outside, the only way to know which is which is to remove from the head and look. well, that’s just not true. my mav max weights are two different colors. the heavy weight is a dull, brushed silver and the lighter weight is a shiny, polished silver. just wanted to clarify some misinformation/lazy “take” that i saw recently.

the heavy weight is a dull, brushed silver and the lighter weight is a shiny, polished silver

Hadn't even noticed that, but you're right. thanks.

The Mav Max saved me over the last few days. My driver swing was up and down and I still got away with some distances that I should not have. When I trusted my swing and stayed through the call with a smooth tempo, it was straight or a slight draw. I’m continuing to see well struck shots carrying 235-240 and total yards creeping into the 270 range. I’m playing the heavy weight in the heel and it’s providing some ball correction on less than Ideal swings.

if anyone consumes youtube reviews, one video mentioned he was annoyed as a fitter that the mav weights don’t have the number on the outside, the only way to know which is which is to remove from the head and look. well, that’s just not true. my mav max weights are two different colors. the heavy weight is a dull, brushed silver and the lighter weight is a shiny, polished silver. just wanted to clarify some misinformation/lazy “take” that i saw recently.
Eh. To be fair the colors aren’t that easy, I agree that a simple small number externally would be nice.

That said, it’s not hard to remove them.

Eh. To be fair the colors aren’t that easy, I agree that a simple small number externally would be nice.

That said, it’s not hard to remove them.

they’re pretty obvious to me if you know what to look for.

I just picked up the mav sub and will be cutting it down 3/4 of an inch to play at 45''. Now do i want a 6g or 8g weight to replace the 2g in the front to keep it at D3 ?

they’re pretty obvious to me if you know what to look for.
Oh. I’ve got a clue what to look for. Thing is, they’re not all different colors/shades.

I just picked up the mav sub and will be cutting it down 3/4 of an inch to play at 45''. Now do i want a 6g or 8g weight to replace the 2g in the front to keep it at D3 ?

I'm no expert and it seems to depend on the exact combination and balance, but I think a 10 or 12 would be closer? Since you're cutting it you'll be regripping and can possibly lighten that to not have to add as much to the head. It's been my experience with past sub zeros that they can play pretty differently with even or close to even weight front and back. If I were going to add 8 -10 grams to the head, and liked the heavy weight at the back like in the stock setup, I'd be more inclined to add just a few to the front and the rest in the rear weight.

1000% not an expert, and imo getting it all right can be damn finicky. I've had clubs I've brought to the exact same swing weight that still felt different. :confused2:

Speaking of this mystery, I ditched the rogue white that came with my mavrik sz like I planned today, and had to play with a temporary setup. My refinish of a callaway adapter dried a little too dark and I wasn't putting it on the silver just for kicks so that will have to wait until I get it right. Threw on an old Rogue Max low launch that I used to play on my GBB epic sz, and changed to a little heavier front weight to get it right.

Loved. Everything. About it.

Same distance I've been seeing, but consistency on strike, flight, and dispersion was the best I've seen from me in a long while. I don't think I moved off center even a 1/4" during the round, and that Mavrik sub zero is a sweet SOB when you give it no excuses to hurt you.

Last edited:

I laughed when he said that. Yeah, you don't know. Until you look, once. I feel like a fitter would/should remember. :LOL:

one is silver and the other is silver, come on it's not that hard

would an in-between weight also be silver?

one is silver and the other is silver, come on it's not that hard

would an in-between weight also be silver?
This made me laugh. Going to shoot a pic of the 4 weights I have here tonight and see who can guess what it what from the top only. ;)

Back