Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

Do you have to go to a retailer for the trade?
No you can call Callaway and do it all over the phone. They will send you a shipping label to send your trade to them. Be prepared to pay for the new driver up front and then wait in them to process and credit your trade. They do work on commissions and I have the contact for a good rep there I used if you want it just PM me.

Do you have to go to a retailer for the trade?

No they will send you a return label for your gear, and credit you as soon as received and processed (about 10 days usually

Been swamped ever since I got home yesterday. Still have to go through my numbers and do a little write up. But, just glancing at the numbers I did get, I was interested to see what the difference in swing speed was between the standard that I got from the event and the SZ I was hitting. This was my first go around with the SZ on a LM. Surprisingly, the SZ had a higher average swing speed and a higher max speed. I was expecting it to be a little slower than the standard, but that wasn't the case. Now, they were very close, within .5 mph. So, it could be just a variance in weight or something that explains the difference.

I noticed another trend, more of a swing fault really. My angle of attack is positive. But, it's way too positive. Like 8 degrees up at it's worst. I was seeing some significantly higher spin with the standard and was not sure why. I was seeing spin as high as 2900 with it and it was averaging 2600. The SZ highest spin was 2200 and averaging 2100. After going through the numbers, I must be adding a ton of spin loft. I don't know if it's the indoor swinging that is getting me, but the ball is creeping way too far forward in my stance. I suspect once I get it moved back and comfortable with that again, my spin numbers will be a little more tame with the standard.

No you can call Callaway and do it all over the phone. They will send you a shipping label to send your trade to them. Be prepared to pay for the new driver up front and then wait in them to process and credit your trade. They do work on commissions and I have the contact for a good rep there I used if you want it just PM me.
Message sent. Thank you kindly.

Just curious. Did any ef sz owners go for the mavrik standard or max at the end of the day? Why and how did you find your dispersion and spin numbers?

It seems that the max is forgiving and can be configured for low spin as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Working through updating based on my last few rounds. Still with a bit of a rusty swing in the sense of I have worked hard to get a positive AoA to help with my carry distances. I am seeing some positive results, but feel like the ball flight is creeping a little too high for me. When I got on trackman a few weeks back launch was hitting 16 and 17 degrees at time, which wasn't bad but a little higher than I am used to. I also went from a negative AoA to trackman reading AoA between 2-4 degrees positive.

I have been playing the Mavrik Max 9* head at +2/D, heavy weight in the heel. I think I will bring it down to 9* S/D and see what those results look like.

It's a beaut Clark
222150be379b966c98663b63903a0977.jpg

Woah. That's the highest I've heard yet.
When we (@JB @Canadan and myself) hit CC next week for #RangeDays this is something I want to see if we see a change across the heads for me when all set up with the same shaft/length/SW

still pondering this upgrade. I can essentially get this and a fairway wood free with all of my trade ins...just been a bit busy with a new baby to make this call to callaway

Woah. That's the highest I've heard yet.
You need to get out more! Ha!

Expected the SZ to be the higher ball speed but just couldn’t get it as high as the standard so stopped chasing numbers and went with what it was.

still pondering this upgrade. I can essentially get this and a fairway wood free with all of my trade ins...just been a bit busy with a new baby to make this call to callaway
Do it!

Expected the SZ to be the higher ball speed but just couldn’t get it as high as the standard so stopped chasing numbers and went with what it was.
Man, based on my time working with the standard and now hitting the Max, I couldn't fathom playing the SZ. I'm honestly a bit scared to hit it at #RangeDays haha

lol For a good golfer 5 mph is a TON.

I had better ball speeds and distance with the standard. I was blown away by it overall. Everything from head shape to results. If I was seeking pure distance it would have been my choice.

I will add after yesterday....

Standard Sound/Feel > Max Sound/Feel

So, how much difference in sound? A HUGE difference, or just slightly different?

So, how much difference in sound? A HUGE difference, or just slightly different?

to my ear it’s a pretty big difference. and i prefer the max. i guess i like a louder pitch. standard is too quiet for my preference.

lol For a good golfer 5 mph is a TON.

I had better ball speeds and distance with the standard. I was blown away by it overall. Everything from head shape to results. If I was seeking pure distance it would have been my choice.

Issue is I don't know what my ball speed was with the Rogue. I tend to believe that the Rogue/Standard were probably more in line and that the SZ was a little less. So not so much that I gained ball speed, but probably the SZ just wasn't for me.

Totally agree.
It was enough that it was the first thing I noticed when I hit the Max. Not bad, just different. Max is louder.

So, this winter has sucked. I got to go on this sweet trip, get some sweet gear, and sit at home staring at it doing nothing with it basically. I decided that I had to get my fix in. I made an appointment, took the day off, then made the hour long drive to get to the only trackman in any sort of reasonable driving distance to me. I had gotten some numbers for my review there about a month ago.

This time, I was bringing the Ventus Red I was fit for as well as the two LAGP shafts I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to test. My goal was to figure out what shaft was the stand out between them and then do some head to head testing between my standard Mavrik and the Mavrik SZ.

I started with the SZ because that was a club I hadn't had the opportunity to try and I was really eager to see what it was all about. Now, I have been trying to work on my swing after noticing that my release was a little later than it should be. Speed was up pretty significantly from the last time I was there topping out at 118 swing speed and 175 ball speed. I hit 178 ball speed a few times. But, whenever I got to 177 or higher, the unit wouldn't read the swing speed and was giving a double spin reading. The owner said that it struggles once ball speed gets that high. He offered to throw a metallic dot or something on the ball so it would read better. But, it wasn't happening all the time or enough to make me too concerned.

I started with the Ventus Red 7X tipped an inch and was seeing some good performance. It felt like there was a little more movement in the shaft than I wanted. So, I switched over to the LAGP TPOC 65X also tipped an inch. Feel was much tighter and the results seemed to show it. I wasn't tagging shots at that point, just going off of what I was seeing. Contact was improved and dispersion was better.

So, I started tagging the two clubs. First up was the Mavrik SZ. I love the feel of this club. It is similar to the standard so there's no surprise there. But, I like the visual package a bit better in the SZ. It looks a lot more similar to what I am used to playing coming from the EF SZ last year. Numbers were pretty good. Was seeing some pretty decent spin numbers. And some great efficiency. I had some wild shots as I worked to improve the timing of my release.

Here are the initial numbers of the SZ. I don't know how to work the Trackman menus so it took me forever to find this screen and I had no idea how include some of the other data. For some reason, this list didn't have the launch angle that was showing before.

1580854714698.png

Then, it was time to switch over to the Mavrik Standard. I was really surprised to see some of the spin numbers I was getting with the Standard. Some really well struck shots were giving me some pretty high spin numbers, for me anyhow. I am typically a low spin guy. So, seeing some of these creep well into the high 2000's was surprising. After some internal reflection and some analysis of the data, I suspect that my ball position is too far forward. By a great deal. I was seeing my AoA get as high as 8 degrees. I am probably delivering so much spin loft into the ball. Also surprising was that I didn't seem to be swinging the standard any faster than the SZ. While the Standard doesn't win based on distance or visuals, I will try to do another comparison after I figure out my ball placement.

1580854841552.png

I decided to try the SZ with the heavy weight forward to see what kind of difference there was in ball speed and efficiency as well as spin. I honestly didn't feel like the heavy weight forward was nearly as punishing as some make it sound. While, it's probably not as forgiving, it's not as punishing as some would lead you to believe. It knocked the spin down a bit. But, it also felt more powerful at impact. Some shots were getting wild. But, it was after hitting almost 100 shots in about 50 minutes. I was beat. Plus, the big misses were path related. The efficiency was still there.

1580855103361.png

There are some things for me to take away from being able to collect data like this. First, I need to work on some of the fundamentals that always seem to escape me during our long winter layoff. Second, both of these heads are solid options. I suspect that when I get my AoA figured out, the spin numbers on the Standard will come down to a more "optimal" range for me. Also, my launch angle will come down as well resulting in some increased carry.

So, this winter has sucked. I got to go on this sweet trip, get some sweet gear, and sit at home staring at it doing nothing with it basically. I decided that I had to get my fix in. I made an appointment, took the day off, then made the hour long drive to get to the only trackman in any sort of reasonable driving distance to me. I had gotten some numbers for my review there about a month ago.

This time, I was bringing the Ventus Red I was fit for as well as the two LAGP shafts I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to test. My goal was to figure out what shaft was the stand out between them and then do some head to head testing between my standard Mavrik and the Mavrik SZ.

I started with the SZ because that was a club I hadn't had the opportunity to try and I was really eager to see what it was all about. Now, I have been trying to work on my swing after noticing that my release was a little later than it should be. Speed was up pretty significantly from the last time I was there topping out at 118 swing speed and 175 ball speed. I hit 178 ball speed a few times. But, whenever I got to 177 or higher, the unit wouldn't read the swing speed and was giving a double spin reading. The owner said that it struggles once ball speed gets that high. He offered to throw a metallic dot or something on the ball so it would read better. But, it wasn't happening all the time or enough to make me too concerned.

I started with the Ventus Red 7X tipped an inch and was seeing some good performance. It felt like there was a little more movement in the shaft than I wanted. So, I switched over to the LAGP TPOC 65X also tipped an inch. Feel was much tighter and the results seemed to show it. I wasn't tagging shots at that point, just going off of what I was seeing. Contact was improved and dispersion was better.

So, I started tagging the two clubs. First up was the Mavrik SZ. I love the feel of this club. It is similar to the standard so there's no surprise there. But, I like the visual package a bit better in the SZ. It looks a lot more similar to what I am used to playing coming from the EF SZ last year. Numbers were pretty good. Was seeing some pretty decent spin numbers. And some great efficiency. I had some wild shots as I worked to improve the timing of my release.

Here are the initial numbers of the SZ. I don't know how to work the Trackman menus so it took me forever to find this screen and I had no idea how include some of the other data. For some reason, this list didn't have the launch angle that was showing before.

View attachment 8926557

Then, it was time to switch over to the Mavrik Standard. I was really surprised to see some of the spin numbers I was getting with the Standard. Some really well struck shots were giving me some pretty high spin numbers, for me anyhow. I am typically a low spin guy. So, seeing some of these creep well into the high 2000's was surprising. After some internal reflection and some analysis of the data, I suspect that my ball position is too far forward. By a great deal. I was seeing my AoA get as high as 8 degrees. I am probably delivering so much spin loft into the ball. Also surprising was that I didn't seem to be swinging the standard any faster than the SZ. While the Standard doesn't win based on distance or visuals, I will try to do another comparison after I figure out my ball placement.

View attachment 8926558

I decided to try the SZ with the heavy weight forward to see what kind of difference there was in ball speed and efficiency as well as spin. I honestly didn't feel like the heavy weight forward was nearly as punishing as some make it sound. While, it's probably not as forgiving, it's not as punishing as some would lead you to believe. It knocked the spin down a bit. But, it also felt more powerful at impact. Some shots were getting wild. But, it was after hitting almost 100 shots in about 50 minutes. I was beat. Plus, the big misses were path related. The efficiency was still there.

View attachment 8926559

There are some things for me to take away from being able to collect data like this. First, I need to work on some of the fundamentals that always seem to escape me during our long winter layoff. Second, both of these heads are solid options. I suspect that when I get my AoA figured out, the spin numbers on the Standard will come down to a more "optimal" range for me. Also, my launch angle will come down as well resulting in some increased carry.

Yeah, you better work on those fundamentals...

You’re such a stud, Radi!

View attachment 8926557

View attachment 8926558

View attachment 8926559

Your spin numbers are extremely tight on the SZ. Thats amazing even with the weight forward. Are you thinking about switching/toying with the SZ? I'm in the same boat. I have the standard and Im loving flight/sound/feel but spin is between 2500-2700 on average. Would be nice to get between 2200-2500.

Your spin numbers are extremely tight on the SZ. Thats amazing even with the weight forward. Are you thinking about switching/toying with the SZ? I'm in the same boat. I have the standard and Im loving flight/sound/feel but spin is between 2500-2700 on average. Would be nice to get between 2200-2500.
I don't know. I'm not opposed to it. But, I feel like if I can get the spin down in the standard and get a little more forgiveness, this could be a good season off the tee. I know the standard is not a high spin head. Heck, the max isn't a high spin head. With a positive AoA, I should be able to figure out a way to tame it.

But, that SZ with the heavy weight forward was a hammer. Would love to try it with a little more head weight.

Back